• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer’s Microsoft memo on ‘Xbox everywhere’ — The Verge

STK048_XBOX_D.jpg

Microsoft announced yesterday that four Xbox-exclusive games are coming to PS5 and Nintendo Switch soon, opening up a new strategy for Xbox to be on more screens. Just two hours before Microsoft’s big announcement, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer explained the company’s new Xbox vision in an internal memo to employees.

It’s the first time Spencer has fully outlined a new strategy “where every screen is an Xbox” to employees, after an internal town hall meeting earlier this month didn’t address multi-platform games directly.
Microsoft didn’t directly mention “Xbox everywhere” or “every screen is an Xbox” during its official Xbox podcast yesterday, but it’s not too dissimilar to what the company has been saying for years about its push for Xbox games across consoles, PCs, and cloud gaming. The big difference this time is that the vision has been adjusted to include bringing those Xbox games to rival consoles.

I spoke to Spencer earlier this week about the new Xbox vision, next-gen hardware, and more. You can read that interview here, and Spencer’s internal Microsoft memo, below:

"Today at noon Pacific, we’ll be posting a special episode of the Official Xbox Podcast.

In this episode, Sarah Bond, Matt Booty and I will share with the community our plans for the future of Xbox. We’ll also discuss how our vision will benefit our players, creators, and the industry as a whole.

When we look at the state of our medium, we see players increasingly gaming on multiple devices, but their experience is defined by the fragmentation created by platform silos. Multi-device players have to navigate multiple identities, entitlement libraries, communities, wallets, and reward programs. Similarly, the industry’s biggest franchises increasingly ship across multiple devices, requiring creators to build and manage multiple instances of their games, leading to higher costs and fragmented communities. All of this friction creates a tremendous opportunity for us to meet the needs of multi-device players and creators.

We have a different vision for the future of gaming. A future where players have a unified experience across devices. A future where players can easily discover a vast array of games with a diverse spectrum of business models. A future where more creators are empowered to realize their creative vision, reach a global audience, unite their communities, and succeed commercially. A future where every screen is an Xbox.

This is a future where Xbox is everywhere—consistent with our promise to empower players to “play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want.”

Last edited:

Tsaki

Yeah that sure sounds like 4 games and that's that and all you'll get...........

"This is a future where Xbox is everywhere—consistent with our promise to empower players to “play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want."

I bet this type of PR speak by MS executives will be quite prevalent in this year's "E3" and beyond.

Kuranghi

I can't wait to rewatch that podcast on hallucinogens, it's going to be terrifying.

That part where Sarah Bond starts looking back and forth rapidly between two of the others like a robot caught in a loop was already quite scary, then when she turns to stare straight into Matt Booty's soul like a demonic entity I just burst out laughing.

All that aside I'm excited to see this new ultra powerful HW, if its closer to a PC of the time in power but doesn't cost me 3000 then I may consider it since end of this year was my upgrade time. Unlikely obviously but can dream.

Ozriel

M$FT
They totally dropped the ball on this part. I do believe they demonstrated how it benefits creators and the industry. They didn't say a single thing that benefits current Xbox customers.

Yes, they did.

- Confirmed GamePass is there to stay, with Day one releases continuing

- Additional revenue from late ports will increase funding available to Xbox for games and hardware

- upcoming hardware for Holiday 2024, and a commitment to next gen hardware meaning your library remains secure.

- Additional unannounced games for 2024

What else did you expect?

Kurotri

They totally dropped the ball on this part. I do believe they demonstrated how it benefits creators and the industry. They didn't say a single thing that benefits current Xbox customers.
Gamepass day 1 releases are not going away, multiple devices can be your Xbox and cross-saves are cool. I think these are great things to have. Problem is still the games themselves. The mention of the next-gen console being the most insane leap just made me think back on the Series X or One X marketing. "It eats monsters for breakfast" lmao. I really like their consoles, but the problem was never the hardware. I wish they'd stop focusing on hardware every time Xbox has negative news cycles.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Internal PR fluff, with the real motivation being that "we need to make more money and can't with our current strategy". If they were #1 you wouldn't hear Phil talk so passionately about bringing players together across platforms. That's not really what he cares about, it just sounds better.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes, they did.

- Additional revenue from late ports will increase funding available to Xbox for games and hardware

- upcoming hardware for Holiday 2024, and a commitment to next gen hardware meaning your library remains secure.

Gamepass day 1 releases are not going away, multiple devices can be your Xbox and cross-saves are cool. I think these are great things to have. Problem is still the games themselves. The mention of the next-gen console being the most insane leap just made me think back on the Series X or One X marketing. "It eats monsters for breakfast" lmao. I really like their consoles, but the problem was never the hardware. I wish they'd stop focusing on hardware every time Xbox has negative news cycles.

Things just staying the same is not doing anything for Xbox customers. That's the lowest possible bar ever. GP staying is nice. That's literally what it has been for several years now. Additional revenue is not my concern and does nothing for me. That is for the industry and creators. Additional games for 2024 was already a thing and is not anything new. Additional games and hardware are planned for years, so that was already going to happen.

They didn't announce a single NEW thing FOR PLAYERS. What did I expect? Real simple. Full dual entitlement on PC for all purchases. If every screen is an Xbox, then they have to actually mean that. What they want is Xbox players locked into a closed ecosystem funding them while they put games on everything and every other customer gets the same games without being locked in. That means every single other screen has an advantage on games. They had one thing to do, open up digital purchases to move between Xbox and PC and I would consider the whole conference a slam dunk. Tina directly asked him about digital libraries, and they all punted.

Literally not one thing changed for existing Xbox customers. We already had gamepass, cloud, more games in the pipeline, and a console coming next gen. A change would be something to make owning an Xbox better than it was 2 days ago since the exclusivity arrangement that drove the purchase of the hardware just vanished.

They even straight up said Xbox is the "only place to play GP," which is a non-sensical lie. It's nearly half price on PC, and has additional games. It's also available on any device through cloud. You can play GP on literally anything connected to the internet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can't wait to rewatch that podcast on hallucinogens, it's going to be terrifying.

That part where Sarah Bond starts looking back and forth rapidly between two of the others like a robot caught in a loop was already quite scary, then when she turns to stare straight into Matt Booty's soul like a demonic entity I just burst out laughing.

All that aside I'm excited to see this new ultra powerful HW, if its closer to a PC of the time in power but doesn't cost me 3000 then I may consider it since end of this year was my upgrade time. Unlikely obviously but can dream.

That big upgrade they're talking about isn't coming this year, it's in the future (2026 at the earliest, more likely 2027-2028). This year is just the digital XSX etc.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, they did.

I expect people to not be do gullible. But apparently that's too much to ask.

There will be more ports. But keep being a tool.

kyussman

I just can't get my head around this at all......it seems like a great strategy in a world where PlayStation and Nintendo don't exist,lol......but they do and they are competing in the video game space with you,and they want to be successful....and they make better games.

Things just staying the same is not doing anything for Xbox customers. That's the lowest possible bar ever. GP staying is nice. That's literally what it has been for several years now. Additional revenue is not my concern and does nothing for me. That is for the industry and creators. Additional games for 2024 was already a thing and is not anything new. Additional games and hardware are planned for years, so that was already going to happen.

They didn't announce a single NEW thing FOR PLAYERS. What did I expect? Real simple. Full dual entitlement on PC for all purchases. If every screen is an Xbox, then they have to actually mean that. What they want is Xbox players locked into a closed ecosystem funding them while they put games on everything and every other customer gets the same games without being locked in. That means every single other screen has an advantage on games. They had one thing to do, open up digital purchases to move between Xbox and PC and I would consider the whole conference a slam dunk. Tina directly asked him about digital libraries, and they all punted.

Literally not one thing changed for existing Xbox customers. We already had gamepass, cloud, more games in the pipeline, and a console coming next gen. A change would be something to make owning an Xbox better than it was 2 days ago since the exclusivity arrangement that drove the purchase of the hardware just vanished.

They even straight up said Xbox is the "only place to play GP," which is a non-sensical lie. It's nearly half price on PC, and has additional games. It's also available on any device through cloud. You can play GP on literally anything connected to the internet.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

To be fair, they addressed what the Xbox players were concerned about, which was Game Pass and hardware. Since everyone before this podcast was saying Xbox was going out of business and becoming multi platform with gamepass ending, this wasn’t a podcast to announce stuff; it was to address the concerns, and they did a fine job. Stop looking at it in a different way.

Withnail

This. It’s clearly a diversion tactic and it’s not the first time they’ve used it. But I guess it seems to work for the Xbox fanbase so who can really blame them.

DryvBy

Yeah that sure sounds like 4 games and that's that and all you'll get...........

"This is a future where Xbox is everywhere—consistent with our promise to empower players to “play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want."

I bet this type of PR speak by MS executives will be quite prevalent in this year's "E3" and beyond.

No company is going to let those rumors go on that long and then that be it.

Yes, they did.

I didn’t watch most of it, what was this?

avin

What did I expect? Real simple. Full dual entitlement on PC for all purchases.

You "expected" that? I'd guess you're moving to PC and wanted that, but it strikes me as nuts to have expected it.

If they were to stop making Xboxes, then yes, I'd understand that hope and even expectation, but it seems we're not there yet. Down the road, who knows.

avin

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You "expected" that? I'd guess you're moving to PC and wanted that, but it strikes me as nuts to have expected it.

If they were to stop making Xboxes, then yes, I'd understand that hope and even expectation, but it seems we're not there yet. Down the road, who knows.

avin
Down the road is now for me. Exclusives are going/gone. Console sales will decline. 3rd party support declines after that. GP declines after that. Then hardware.

T-Cake

Wait a minute. How are we going to log in to Xbox from PS5 in order to have cross-save functionality or achievements?

Bond007

Love the spin that they need to port games to create revenue for additional games.
Microsoft? Microsoft? The dudes that just buy games? Need to port games to competing consoles to FUND games? LOL

Yea, this will be gradual. They can afford to do this gradually. Sega could not.

Ozriel

M$FT
What did I expect? Real simple. Full dual entitlement on PC for all purchases. If every screen is an Xbox, then they have to actually mean that. What they want is Xbox players locked into a closed ecosystem funding them while they put games on everything and every other customer gets the same games without being locked in. That means every single other screen has an advantage on games. They had one thing to do, open up digital purchases to move between Xbox and PC and I would consider the whole conference a slam dunk. Tina directly asked him about digital libraries, and they all punted.

Wow, you must really hate Xbox then. Because that’s one surefire way to put them out of business.

Basically insisting MS has to pay every major publisher for a digital license on PC for every single purchase you make on console. So when you buy FC 25, or Hogwarts Legacy 2 or Dragon’s Dogma 2, MS has to pay for a PC license for you…including payments to release the games on Windows Store in case the publishers were going Steam alone. Do you even imagine how much this would cost?

Try to put some more thought into these things.

Ozriel

M$FT
Love the spin that they need to port games to create revenue for additional games.
Microsoft? Microsoft? The dudes that just buy games? Need to port games to competing consoles to FUND games? LOL

When did Microsoft say they needed to port games to stay afloat? 🤣

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wow, you must really hate Xbox then. Because that’s one surefire way to put them out of business.

Basically insisting MS has to pay every major publisher for a digital license on PC for every single purchase you make on console. So when you buy FC 25, or Hogwarts Legacy 2 or Dragon’s Dogma 2, MS has to pay for a PC license for you…including payments to release the games on Windows Store in case the publishers were going Steam alone. Do you even imagine how much this would cost?

Try to put some more thought into these things.
It's not my job to keep Xbox in business. If you can get Xbox exclusives on every other box, the ones that offer that plus more games have more stuff to offer. If they don't want to take any steps to remain competitive as an ecosystem then it will vanish. Has nothing to do with me really. If you can buy their games anywhere, Xbox as a closed ecosystem is effectively gone because its not competitive.

GHG

Aren't of you to sustain their current strategy. And of those customers they currently have, not enough are contributing to the pot by actually making purchases outside of their subscriptions. That's why.

Duchess

I'll repeat what I said before: MS will see the PS5 port sale as "within expectations". Some could well "exceed expectations".

That means more ports will happen, and they'll happen sooner.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's not my job to keep Xbox in business. If you can get Xbox exclusives on every other box, the ones that offer that plus more games have more stuff to offer. If they don't want to take any steps to remain competitive as an ecosystem then it will vanish. Has nothing to do with me really. If you can buy their games anywhere, Xbox as a closed ecosystem is effectively gone because its not competitive.

You want them to ‘take steps to remain competitive’

You also want them to take a step that would certainly not be financially viable.

This makes no sense.

Might be a good time to sell your Xbox and move on if this ‘threading the needle’ stuff they’re doing bothers you that much.

Top Bottom