• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III"We have thirteen $1B+ franchises in our portfolio and we just set new records for engagement in Game Pass."

gokurho

Microsoft announced some big changes to its Xbox and marketing leadership today. Sarah Bond is being promoted to Xbox president, leading all Xbox platform and hardware work. Matt Booty is now the president of game content and studios, including overseeing Bethesda and ZeniMax studios.
Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer sent an internal memo to Xbox employees today, detailing all the key changes. The Verge has obtained Spencer’s memo, and you can read it in full below:

It’s been a whirlwind two weeks since we closed our deal with ABK, an acquisition that will materially impact our current and future success. Since then, I’ve been on tour, visiting the teams. It’s been awesome to see the ambition of the games they’re making, the depth of the talent among the teams, and their excitement to be a part of Microsoft with a creative culture that aligns with their own.

Microsoft Gaming is on a multi-year journey to reach players where they are, on the devices they choose to play, and our strategy is working. We have thirteen $1B+ franchises in our portfolio and we just set new records for engagement in Game Pass. As our business continues to grow, it’s important that we structure ourselves to sustain that momentum with effective clarity and accountability across Gaming. In that spirit, we are making the following organizational changes effective today
Records for engagement👩‍❤️‍👩💍👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

"Phil Spencer says_________":

2ORbbOB.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah, I can see that. Especially since we've had confirmation that the Activision games won't be exclusive, it means they can expand a lot of IPs to all platforms.

For example, putting WoW on all platforms. Xbox, Playstation, Switch 2 and mobile.

Also

Microsoft Gaming is on a multi-year journey to reach players where they are, on the devices they choose to play,

Does this mean more Microsoft IPs will make it to Sony and Nintendo platforms?

Take any of those games that appear on PlayStation and or Nintendo consoles away and the value drops like a rock. PC only titles like WoW? I don't think those would work on console anyway the way they are designed to be played but a console specific game set in that world would be cool.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

This isn't really news, it's just an internal email that's been sent to staff to say "welcome to the family/some things are changing/here's what the current state of affairs is." Totally normal practice.

How pathetic that is I suppose is in the eye of the beholder. But essentially, whatever Phil Spencer says or does seems to get leapt on to be criticised with embarrassing vigour around here.

Still, I guess everyone wants a turn to post "dis gonna be good" stepladder man, "don't Believe his lies" from Memento or perhaps, John Candy saying "sure" 40 times each so we do need to keep making these threads.

Last edited:
For example, putting WoW on all platforms. Xbox, Playstation, Switch 2 and mobile.
I really wonder how that would work out, considering how indispensable addons (which are user-created and unverified - a big no-no on consoles) are for high level raiding and PVP. It'd either require a radical redesign of the game, different versions without crossplay, or the removal of addons in their current form from the PC version.

Ozriel

M$FT
Pathetic. 8 of these franchises are from AKB. Microsoft really is the kind of "sniffing your own farts"-type of guy who buys the account of a high ranking CoD, CS, LoL, WoW etc. player and then pretends that they worked so hard to make this account high ranking.

Nothing in that context “we have major franchises in our portfolio” suggests a claim that this is an achievement done by Phil/Xbox.

This feels like a bandwagon thing at the moment. You people are truly weird.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really wonder how that would work out, considering how indispensable addons (which are user-created and unverified - a big no-no on consoles) are for high level raiding and PVP. It'd either require a radical redesign of the game, different versions without crossplay, or the removal of addons in their current form from the PC version.

No idea, but I'm sure Microsoft will work out something if it resulted in serious financial gains.

SJRB

Gold Member
O my god this guy is such a fucking doofus.

Stop congratulating yourself and start releasing good games. Just because you bought a ton of studios that released good games before you bought them, that doesn't suddenly make Microsoft an amazing publisher, you gonk. Your track record is shit, do something about that.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

What is so amazing about Spencer is his humility and infectious personality. All those smiles when he visited Activision was something you won't see at other companies when the boss arrives. His vision he put in place many years ago is starting to thrive under his leadership 🙂
Phil Spencer in 2015: "Over the next ten years I want to aggressively manage the decline of all our most valuable first-party intellectual property - every one of them needs to be less relevant and less popular in 2023 than it was in 2013. I want our competitors to run rings around us on hardware: I want to go all in on the most powerful next-gen console and watch it get spanked raw by a half-teraflop gaming tablet. I want to spend the next six or seven years apologizing for all that failure in the press and promising it will get better the following year only for it to get worse. I want our loyal fanbase to tie themselves in knots trying to explain it all to themselves and others. If we do all that, I promise every one of you a major promotion."

Lunarorbit

Hopefully phil will let Sarah bond do some of the talking cause he's really wearing out his welcome. Dial it back phil cause we've heard a little too much out of you

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
is that something to be proud off? i mean they just bought a multiplatform publisher with a big coin bag.

FeralEcho

What is so amazing about Spencer is his humility and infectious personality. All those smiles when he visited Activision was something you won't see at other companies when the boss arrives. His vision he put in place many years ago is starting to thrive under his leadership 🙂
I would smile too if I would get paychecks and promotions for sitting on my ass all day doing nothing...."cough" Matt Booty

kaizenkko

One of the few franchises under MS umbrella that I like is Gears of War, and Coallition are fucking tech masters, one of few MS studios who rivalize with Sony studios in technical ability.

I really don't know why MS don't grow this guys at least a little bit. lol

Top Bottom