• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sarah Bond “Every screen is an Xbox" - and greater ambitions of becoming the number one cross-platform gaming company

Three

n8foThf.png
Can't wait to play this on my INANFIBER GME NEER

Killjoy-NL

This is so boring. How about make some games dipshits. No one cares or wants your pr speak.

Xbox tried this shit already with Brian Urlacher years ago. You're plans have failed spectacularly.
As a Playstation gamer, I care.

I'd like to now if I can ignore Xbox games on Playstation.

Unless it's Hellblade 2.

Kokoloko85

Phil Spencer has done a great fucking job at turning Xbox around from the One disaster era. So many things got done during his time, from Minecraft to a bunch of Japanese games launching day 1 on game pass, updating services, customer convenience. The guy is a fucking hero in my view, with all the stuff that he has pushed through to make Xbox a better platform. I hope he stays in place for a long ass time, yet.
I think Xbox one will end up selling better than Series S/X despite being more expensive.
and lol

Phil Spencer has done a great fucking job at turning Xbox around from the One disaster era. So many things got done during his time, from Minecraft to a bunch of Japanese games launching day 1 on game pass, updating services, customer convenience. The guy is a fucking hero in my view, with all the stuff that he has pushed through to make Xbox a better platform. I hope he stays in place for a long ass time, yet.
Maybe this is a hot take, but I feel like Xbox is in even a worse place now than it was with the Xbone launch. Kind of feel like people of selective memory when it comes to that launch. Yes, it was a complete disaster with the forced Kinect, price increase over ps4 and their weird drm rules (which were super confusing in their messaging that I still don't fully understand that goal today). However, that first year of Xbone was the last time Xbox had intriguing games. Games like ryse, KI, sunset overdrive, Titanfall. I believe all of those launched within a year. I genuinely don't think Xbox has had 4 games that have interested me as much as those games since that, which is just bonkers.

I don't really see what Phil has accomplished, unless you're a mega fan of gamepass. Their old IPs have gotten worse under his watch (halo, gears and now even Forza). They don't create new IP. Their marketing for games is beyond awful. They showed hellblade 2 at their series reveal, only for that game to release 4 years later and be a $50/8 hour game. WTF IS THAT.

Maybe this is a hot take, but I feel like Xbox is in even a worse place now than it was with the Xbone launch. Kind of feel like people of selective memory when it comes to that launch. Yes, it was a complete disaster with the forced Kinect, price increase over ps4 and their weird drm rules (which were super confusing in their messaging that I still don't fully understand that goal today). However, that first year of Xbone was the last time Xbox had intriguing games. Games like ryse, KI, sunset overdrive, Titanfall. I believe all of those launched within a year. I genuinely don't think Xbox has had 4 games that have interested me as much as those games since that, which is just bonkers.

I don't really see what Phil has accomplished, unless you're a mega fan of gamepass. Their old IPs have gotten worse under his watch (halo, gears and now even Forza). They don't create new IP. Their marketing for games is beyond awful. They showed hellblade 2 at their series reveal, only for that game to release 4 years later and be a $50/8 hour game. WTF IS THAT.
Agree completely. Xbox One from 2013 to 2016 actually had good games. The ones you mentioned as well as Quantum Break, Recore, Dead Rising 4 and some others as well. Under Phil they cancelled much needed games like Fable Legends which was a neat looking f2p title that many were looking forward to. He then cancelled Scalebound which was another new IP they needed and many were eager to play. Then he also canned the Phantom Dust reboot and had them sheepishly relaunch the original game. He also NEVER replied to the several times that Insomniac CEO Ted Price reached out for a green light for a sequel to Sunset Overdrive. That was one of their most unique and interesting exclusive third party offerings. A sequel would have been a no brainer by anyone other than Spencer. He then created Gamepass and it’s been all downhill since then. Just look at the state they are now in. Gamepass ruined sales of games that needed to be sold for funding of sequels or other projects. He also pushed his BS ‘You don’t need to buy an Xbox to play our games’ which made many people react and simply build a PC and not support the xbox hardware. Along with the many stupid things he has said over the past year of GREAT GAMES WONT SELL OUR CONSOLE or STARFIELD BEING AN 11 OUT OF 10 WONT MATTER……….statements that showed just how stupid he truly is and should have had him sacked. So yes, Phil has done more than enough damage to ruin the brand and make them so desperate now that they have to beg other platforms to release their games on them to make money. How pathetic and weak that looks from a trillion dollar company who has bought so many big devs and studios and has sat on them and done fuck all as usual. Phil is the man in charge and it all falls on HIM. Say what you want about Mattrick but he did believe in selling consoles and delivering games either third party or first. Xbox as a brand is a joke now and todays sheepish PODCAST with the three Stooges after making fans wait a week and a half just shows how out of touch and clueless they are under Phil. They couldn’t do a proper video or live conference because they are embarrassed and snakes and couldn’t show their faces as they spout more lies and BS. What a joke and what an insult to all the xbox faithful including myself, who over the years supported their brand.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Agree completely. Xbox One from 2013 to 2016 actually had good games. The ones you mentioned as well as Quantum Break, Recore, Dead Rising 4 and some others as well. Under Phil they cancelled much needed games like Fable Legends which was a neat looking f2p title that many were looking forward to. He then cancelled Scalebound which was another new IP they needed and many were eager to play. Then he also canned the Phantom Dust reboot and had them sheepishly relaunch the original game. He also NEVER replied to the several times that Insomniac CEO Ted Price reached out for a green light for a sequel to Sunset Overdrive. That was one of their most unique and interesting exclusive third party offerings. A sequel would have been a no brainer by anyone other than Spencer. He then created Gamepass and it’s been all downhill since then. Just look at the state they are now in. Gamepass ruined sales of games that needed to be sold for funding of sequels or other projects. He also pushed his BS ‘You don’t need to buy an Xbox to play our games’ which made many people react and simply build a PC and not support the xbox hardware. Along with the many stupid things he has said over the past year of GREAT GAMES WONT SELL OUR CONSOLE or STARFIEKD BEING AN 11 OUT OF 10 WONT MATTER……….statements that showed just how stupid he truly is and should have had him sacked. So yes, Phil has done more than enough damage to ruin the brand and make them so desperate now that they have to beg other platforms to release their games on them to make money. How pathetic and weak that looks from a trillion dollar company who has bought so many big devs and studios and has sat on them and done fuck all as usual. Phil is the man in charge and it all falls on HIM. Say what you want about Mattrick but he did believe in selling consoles and delivering games either third party or first. Xbox as a brand is a joke now and todays sheepish PODCAST with the three Stooges after making fans wait a week and a half just shows how out of touch and clueless they are under Phil. They couldn’t do a proper video or live conference because they are snakes and couldn’t show their faces as they spout more lies and BS. What a joke and what an insult to all the xbox faithful including myself, who over the years supported their brand.
I've always believed that Phil Spencer replaced Mattrick to oversee the transition from platform-holder to 3rd party publisher.

Your summary of what Xbox has been doing under his leadership only supports my belief.
Don't forget that he also stated that GamePass is 'untenable' without the mobile market and since they focus on GP heavily, it's pretty obvious they slowly gravitate towards 3rd party publishing with heavy focus on GaaS and mobile.

Which makes sense, because they can't compete with Playstation and Nintendo.
They never did, really.

Last edited:

Jaybe

It feels like ABK just bought Bethesda & Xbox Game Studios with how they have had to change their strategy

I've always believed that Phil Spencer replaced Mattrick to oversee the transition from platform-holder to 3rd party publisher.

Seeing how you just summarized what Xbox has been doing under his leadership only supports my belief.
Don't forget that he also stated that GamePass is 'untenable' without the mobile market and since they focus on GP heavily, it's pretty obvious they slowly gravitate towards 3rd party publishing with heavy focus on GaaS and mobile.

They never did, really.

They could compete or at least do better than they have done , they simply didn’t have the people capable of doing so. The mindset, the foresight are not there.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Seeing how you just summarized what Xbox has been doing under his leadership only supports my belief.

They never did, really.
It's not that Xbox couldn't compete with Sony and Nintendo, it was Xbox wanted to be Number 1 straight away and couldn't accept working to be Number 1. They wanted the quick win and least amount of effort.

If Xbox had a competent person in charge when Spencer took over, Xbox could have been in a better position. Xbox finished the last gen (the worst gen to lose) with 55 million sales. How fucking rubbish was Xbox in that gen and still got 55 million sales. Imagine if they were run better. While they were never going to win the last gen, Xbox could have matched their 360 numbers. Then use that to build for this gen.

Xbox under Phil Spencer is like watching a man skydiving wearing his camping backpack and about to pull the second cord.

Last edited:
Agree completely. Xbox One from 2013 to 2016 actually had good games. The ones you mentioned as well as Quantum Break, Recore, Dead Rising 4 and some others as well. Under Phil they cancelled much needed games like Fable Legends which was a neat looking f2p title that many were looking forward to. He then cancelled Scalebound which was another new IP they needed and many were eager to play. Then he also canned the Phantom Dust reboot and had them sheepishly relaunch the original game. He also NEVER replied to the several times that Insomniac CEO Ted Price reached out for a green light for a sequel to Sunset Overdrive. That was one of their most unique and interesting exclusive third party offerings. A sequel would have been a no brainer by anyone other than Spencer. He then created Gamepass and it’s been all downhill since then. Just look at the state they are now in. Gamepass ruined sales of games that needed to be sold for funding of sequels or other projects. He also pushed his BS ‘You don’t need to buy an Xbox to play our games’ which made many people react and simply build a PC and not support the xbox hardware. Along with the many stupid things he has said over the past year of GREAT GAMES WONT SELL OUR CONSOLE or STARFIELD BEING AN 11 OUT OF 10 WONT MATTER……….statements that showed just how stupid he truly is and should have had him sacked. So yes, Phil has done more than enough damage to ruin the brand and make them so desperate now that they have to beg other platforms to release their games on them to make money. How pathetic and weak that looks from a trillion dollar company who has bought so many big devs and studios and has sat on them and done fuck all as usual. Phil is the man in charge and it all falls on HIM. Say what you want about Mattrick but he did believe in selling consoles and delivering games either third party or first. Xbox as a brand is a joke now and todays sheepish PODCAST with the three Stooges after making fans wait a week and a half just shows how out of touch and clueless they are under Phil. They couldn’t do a proper video or live conference because they are embarrassed and snakes and couldn’t show their faces as they spout more lies and BS. What a joke and what an insult to all the xbox faithful including myself, who over the years supported their brand.
This.

The Og Xbox slowly gained traction. But enough for a successor. And what a successor it was!! The 360 days were the prime days for the Xbox brand.
Then Mattrick came and shit went sideways from there.

Never thought it could get worse. Alas I was wrong.

Cyberpunkd

OY, PUNCTUATION M8, HOW DOES IT WORK?

I think the console wars is dumb as hell, but I'm kind of giggling at the thought of the over the top hardcore Xbox fans losing their minds over this. Grown arse adults mad that more people will be able to play Xbox games.......

Bond007

So eventually getting to 3rd party means every screen is an Xbox.
Guess you could say the same about any 3rd party dev. Microsoft Spin is usually pretty weak.

This is clearly going to be a gradual thing

Last edited:

Reaseru

What? All Samsungs are Androids
It's their operating system, not the product (smartphone) itself. (I didn't explained that party very well. Sorry.)

By Sarah Bond logic, every console since the mid 2000s are Sega's, since they started publishing their games in very single one of them.

Nydius

Phil Spencer has done a great fucking job at turning Xbox around from the One disaster era.

Did he though?

Xbox Series S|X are selling worse than Xbox One, despite having a budget offering at launch. Their tent pole exclusives - with exception to Forza Horizon - have been a series of mediocre (and often broken) messes. Game Pass introduced a new subscription market that is having a demonstrably deleterious effect on game sales and game quality. Under his leadership they’ve been unable to create new properties with the studios they had and, instead, went on a spending spree buying developers/publishers.

What’s the end result? They’re behind their competitors further than ever and now have to refocus their business strategy to undo many of the things he oversaw. That doesn’t sound like the hallmark of a great leader to me.

C2brixx

Man, I remember people saying the exact same thing about Xbox "shaking things up" with gamepass because the gaming industry was somehow stale in 2017. Now look where we are. I'd prefer 2017 back.
I just don't get the hatred for Gamepass at all. It's just an option. All those games in the service are available to purchase as they all ways have been.

Top Bottom