• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

iNvid02

data20120825195135727lgk3x.png

data20120825200311754uukk4.png

Sliver

Those shots, the second one especially, look like the character is just floating on the surface of the floors. Is it due to the lack of shadows..?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Are you running some kind of sharpness filter with that? Because it looks over-sharpened to the point where I could've sworn I was seeing JPEG compression artefacts (which I tend to see when over-sharpening something in a paint program).

People artificially sharpening their screenshots is the bane of this thread. It's worse then using imgur.

Shaneus

People artificially sharpening their screenshots is the bane of this thread. It's worse then using imgur.
I meant post-processing. There's at least one that includes both SMAA and a thing called "luma sharpening". I tried it (as it was enabled by default) but didn't like it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I meant post-processing. There's at least one that includes both SMAA and a thing called "luma sharpening". I tried it (as it was enabled by default) but didn't like it.

Whether by over sharpening in photoshop/paint.net/whatever or by cranking the LOD bias, over sharpened shots look so bad.

Zeliard

Are you running some kind of sharpness filter with that? Because it looks over-sharpened to the point where I could've sworn I was seeing JPEG compression artefacts (which I tend to see when over-sharpening something in a paint program).

Nope. It's straight from Fraps. I'm using the default SMAA injector but I don't think it includes Luma sharpening.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Over blurred and over sharpened are both something to be avoided. They destroy the IQ. I wouldn't use sharpening unless you had heavy FXAA on, and I would avoid both unless SSAA was not an option.

Zeliard

Weird. I must just be going crazy then.

Never mind!

Ah, I found the culprit. Could have sworn I had the regular SMAA injector installed but it was actually a variant that does have a Luma sharpening setting that's on by default. Removed it.

My bad!

Shaneus

Ah, I found the culprit. Could have sworn I had the regular SMAA injector installed but it was actually a variant that does have a Luma sharpening setting that's on by default. Removed it.

My bad!
Wow, I'm surprised I could actually pick it! Apologies in retrospect for being a post-processing filter whore.

But, when turning it off, does it look any better/worse to you? That's what matters :)

Zeliard

Wow, I'm surprised I could actually pick it! Apologies in retrospect for being a post-processing filter whore.

But, when turning it off, does it look any better/worse to you? That's what matters :)

It's less egregious in motion than in stills but it's true that it is excessive.

The SMAA injector variant does have toggle settings to mess with the severity of the Luma sharpening so I may play around with that to offset the blurriness of FXAA a bit, but use lower values than the default:

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ LumaSharpen settings /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 1.0 // Strength of the sharpening - You should probably use something between 0.2 and 2.0 - default is 1.0
#define sharp_clamp 0.050 // Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.050

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 2 // Choose a sample pattern ( 1, 2, 3 or 4 ) - I suggest 2
#define offset_bias 1.0 // Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
// I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

Would be simpler if you could just turn off FXAA completely. :p

Shaneus

It's less egregious in motion than in stills but it's true that it is excessive.

The SMAA injector variant does have toggle settings to mess with the severity of the Luma sharpening so I may play around with that to offset the blurriness of FXAA a bit, but use lower values than the default:

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ LumaSharpen settings /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 1.0 // Strength of the sharpening - You should probably use something between 0.2 and 2.0 - default is 1.0
#define sharp_clamp 0.050 // Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.050

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 2 // Choose a sample pattern ( 1, 2, 3 or 4 ) - I suggest 2
#define offset_bias 1.0 // Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
// I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

Would be simpler if you could just turn off FXAA completely. :p
Yeah, I'm using the same one for a few games as well. I actually disabled it completely as I realised it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference when downsampling anyway... a lot of the sharpness it adds seems to be negated.

Zeliard

Yeah, I'm using the same one for a few games as well. I actually disabled it completely as I realised it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference when downsampling anyway... a lot of the sharpness it adds seems to be negated.

I had the in-game AA on its lowest setting so it was just FXAA. I may turn it up to High for some added SSAA even though my frame rate understandably takes a meaty hit. Still seems to stay around 30 so it may be worth it.

It's amazing what a little post-processing can do to the image. I realized that what irked me most about Guild Wars 2's visuals is how flat it all looks. Ambient occlusion helped to alleviate this somewhat, but it's the FXAA injector that lets me go all the way.

Off:
Screenshot1232070.png

On:
Screenshot1232097.png

I am perfectly aware that some individuals may find this over-sharpened/excessively contrast-y/too dark... but this is how I like it. The best thing about the injector is, of course, how everyone can tweak it to whatever they like.

These events are SO CHAOTIC.

Screenshot70546.png

The character models are pretty ace. Zojja looks especially good. Possibly the best character model in the game (that I've seen so far).

Screenshot118688.png

Shaneus

I am perfectly aware that some individuals may find this over-sharpened/excessively contrast-y/too dark... but this is how I like it. The best thing about the injector is, of course, how everyone can tweak it to whatever they like.
Fair enough! I'm just looking at things like haloing on that picture and know that I wouldn't be able to stop noticing them (top of the red circle at the bottom, around each of the info panels where it meets the main screen). But if it's not that noticeable in-game, I'm all good!
Just don't post screens in here without expecting some kind of backlash about potentially saving pictures as JPEGs ;)

I had the in-game AA on its lowest setting so it was just FXAA. I may turn it up to High for some added SSAA even though my frame rate understandably takes a meaty hit. Still seems to stay around 30 so it may be worth it.
Same. Really irking me that we can't disable FXAA *at all*. I have a feeling that the game would look awesome with SMAA and downsampled, but to add FXAA on top of it... I get the feeling it's far blurrier than it should be.

I think in the below shot I'm using the base in-game AA (anything else just slaughters my system) and SMAA, downsampled from 1440p (resized to 1080p in Paint.NET) with full detail. Runs at an almost constant 60fps, except for when (I think?) it's loading textures or geometry (like when turning down a street, it'll judder for a *tiny* bit). I'm pretty happy :D
hkship2012-08-2222-0808uud.png

But I'd be happier if I could disable that damn FXAA! ARGH.

Oh, and that's Sleeping Dogs. As if anyone didn't know already.

Grief.exe

It's a shame Dark Souls is so visually inconsistent. Some places look incredible and others are pretty weak.

Its very strange because they have some really terrible textures, and you give them the benefit of the doubt because they are on console, at low resolution, and then they apply that DOF as well.

But then they turn around and flat out make some amazing textures, it just doesn't make sense.

Zeliard

Hmm could've sworn I saw a screen with a shadow somewhere. Thanks :)

There is sometimes a player shadow, typically when you're outside under a light source like the sun. I just posted a couple pics in the internal res fix thread that feature player shadows.

So has FROM made a statement about this whole Durante Dark Souls thing yet?

Haven't they said that they are still developing the game even though it's already released, and that hey thought PC porting would be easier yet they realized later on that they weren't fully ready for the challenges of it?

Top Bottom