• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 39, 2007 (Halo 3 - 2nd faster seller EVER behind GTA:SA)

justjohn

frankie_baby said:
just anacdotale evidence but the wii has been supply constrained this week, seen loads of out of stock notices
i can also confirm that. i just got a job at GAME and seen for myself how insane this console is selling.

GarthVaderUK said:
From Chart Track:
Summary:
Halo 3 = second fastest selling game of all time, after San Andreas
360 hardware sales more than double, 360 > Wii
1.4 million 360s sold in UK
360 has highest software sales week ever
FIFA 08 is 3rd fastest selling 360 game
Biggest opening week of any FIFA game

Wow THAT is some impressive info!

If Halo 3 is #1 for 360 launches and Gears is #2, FIFA (as #3 360 launch ever) beat out Crackdown, Lost Planet, and Forza...and came in 3rd for the week. Big sales week for the UK.

Halo 3 beating Fifa in UK was to be expected, will be interesting to see how it performs in other European countries.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I don't understand the Wii sales of FIFA at all of course.
Fifa is primarily seen as a Playstation brand around here. It does really well for 360 too so that might change now that PS' market dominance is broken.

Pureauthor said:
Nothing to mourn about, though. It's already shattered Capcom's sales expectations.

Also, the most recent set of data seems to be showing that Wii owners simply aren't interested in sports games (or at least, traditional sports games. Then again, Strikers bombed in Japan...)
But how would you explain the success of the Tiger Woods series or are you implying Golf isn't a sport?

Kildace said:
bu-bu-but everyone that wanted Halo3 already had a 360!!
Well he is the head of NoA. What do you expect him to say? Halo3 is a huge game and will sell huge amounts of hardware come launch?

Besides, anyone who thought that Halo3 wouldn't sell any hardware is just as delusional as those believing 360 will from now on continue to outsell the competition handily.

Kildace

Phife Dawg said:
Well he is the head of NoA. What do you expect him to say? Halo3 is a huge game and will sell huge amounts of hardware come launch?

Besides, anyone who thought that Halo3 wouldn't sell any hardware is just as delusional as those believing 360 will from now on continue to outsell the competition handily.

I wasn't referring to Reggie specifically. A *lot* of people have been saying the same thing on these boards when Halo3 was discussed, and they aren't the head of NoA.

Taker666

frankie_baby said:
just anacdotale evidence but the wii has been supply constrained this week, seen loads of out of stock notices

True. I'm assuming it's the "hold stock back for the big releases" tactic....either that or Nintendo Europe are shipping far too much hardware to Germany and France and continuing to underestimate UK demand.

Wii was readily available a few weeks ago but it's almost vanished now-

http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

Kildace said:
I wasn't referring to Reggie specifically. A *lot* of people have been saying the same thing on these boards when Halo3 was discussed, and they aren't the head of NoA.
Fair deal, I thought you were referring to Reggie because of that big ass thread.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Chart Track said:
helping to more than double the sales of Xbox 360 hardware to the highest level shown this year and even beats Nintendo’s Wii for the first time since week 13 this year.

1471576561_31e03ac6d3.jpg

doicare

felipeko said:
I have something for this week:
doicare_chart_of_wii_doom.png

Looks like he was right all along :(

:lol I have my own chart now awesome.

Anyway as i predicted the 360/ps3 have more or as many games in the top 40 this week as the wii. Both the 360 and ps3 versions of fifa 2008 outsold the wii version, and they did it by over triple to quadruple the amount.

Halo 3's first week sales in the uk are 450k.

Richelieu

Phife Dawg said:

Technically Halo didn’t move much hardware. 1 in 3 Xbox 360 owners bought Halo 3 and there are 1.4 million Xbox 360s. That puts the software sales at over 400K. Hardware “more than doubled”, meaning less than tripled. That means that hardware went up by roughly 20-40K. In other words, 90 to 95% of people buying Halo 3 already had Xbox 360s. And people who were waiting to buy a 360 until Halo 3 came out would probably pick it up in its first week so those numbers won’t improve by much.

PhatSaqs said:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1332/1471576561_31e03ac6d3.jpg

Saving this for the epic September NPD thread. :lol

Technically Halo didn’t move much hardware. 1 in 3 Xbox 360 owners bought Halo 3 and there are 1.4 million Xbox 360s. That puts the software sales at over 400K. Hardware “more than doubled”, meaning less than tripled. That means that hardware went up by roughly 20-40K. In other words, 90 to 95% of people buying Halo 3 already had Xbox 360s. And people who were waiting to buy a 360 until Halo 3 came out would probably pick it up in its first week so those numbers won’t improve by much.

If 360 hardware sales "more than doubled" for even one week in the US, it would go over 400k in September NPD
and Odysseus would be banned
. Halo isn't done selling though, not by a longshot. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up selling over a million copies, just in the UK.

I think the more significant number is Halo's software pushing power. It not only managed to bring in new owners, but it got existing 360 owners to go into stores (and in the buying mood) enough to set the single-week sales record.

IMO, it should be relatively easy for Halo 3 to nail 1m in UK alone....I don't think there are many games out there that manage Japanese RPG-levels of low multipliers. All Halo 3 needs is a 2.25 multiplier. Which should be easy :)

Alcibiades

Do people really think that Reggie had no idea 360 sales would increase at least somewhat after the release of Halo and all the marketing?

Reggie is talking in a broader sense, not a one-week spike. It would very well be true that the release of Halo 3 will cause a sustained increase in 360 sales and reach Wii levels throughout the holidays. In that case, Reggie would be wrong in thinking they don't need something to counter Halo.

It's very possible that Halo gives the 360 new life, especially among FPS and Halo fans, but a larger effect in terms of moving hardware remains to be seen.

Tieno

Mr Killemgood said:
IMO, it should be relatively easy for Halo 3 to nail 1m in UK alone....I don't think there are many games out there that manage Japanese RPG-levels of low multipliers. All Halo 3 needs is a 2.25 multiplier. Which should be easy :)
iron.gif

3x multiplier!

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Saving this for the epic September NPD thread. :lol

If 360 hardware sales "more than doubled" for even one week in the US, it would go over 400k in September NPD
and Odysseus would be banned
. Halo isn't done selling though, not by a longshot. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up selling over a million copies, just in the UK.

I think the more significant number is Halo's software pushing power. It not only managed to bring in new owners, but it got existing 360 owners to go into stores (and in the buying mood) enough to set the single-week sales record.
who said it went up by 20-40K?
It was at 6000 a week not so long a go

Kosma

Banned
The 360 Halo pack is selling pretty good in the store where I work it's definitely pushing units even outside of the UK (Netherlands here). I'm a bit skeptical about the rest of Europe though (the big countries)

DefectiveReject said:

And sales more than tripled from that 6k after the price drop. The 360 is experiencing two overlapping bumps right now.

Richelieu

DefectiveReject said:

I was being very conservative. I figure if I said it went up by 6-10K somebody would invariably say I was being too low. Assuming you are correct (which is much closer to reality than 40K) and assuming the 450K sales, 97-98% of people buying Halo 3 already had an Xbox 360. Sounds like Reggie was more correct than some people would like to think.

spwolf

FF_VIII said:
Exactly.

Not surprised by Fifa, but I'd guess that PES has a larger following in Europe..

Well FIFA is type of game that has legs, so it will sell well every month from now...

PES sold 9 million is 2006, and FIFA is not that far behind... PES mostly sells in Europe though.

FF_VIII said:
Exactly.

Not surprised by Fifa, but I'd guess that PES has a larger following in Europe..
you'd be surprised then. PES more often than not doesn't outsell FIFA. may be the better game, but it aint the better seller.

spwolf

Richelieu said:
I was being very conservative. I figure if I said it went up by 6-10K somebody would invariably say I was being too low. Assuming you are correct (which is much closer to reality than 40K) and assuming the 450K sales, 97-98% of people buying Halo 3 already had an Xbox 360. Sounds like Reggie was more correct than some people would like to think.

it doesnt matter if he is correct or not - it is stupid thing to downplay your opponent when they have record braking hit on their hands.

ksamedi

I'm surprised the Fifa Wii made the top 10, must mean there are a lot of people who only have a Wii as next gen system in the UK. The traditional versions are obviously superiour.

maxmars

ksamedi said:
I'm surprised the Fifa Wii made the top 10, must mean there are a lot of people who only have a Wii as next gen system in the UK. The traditional versions are obviously superiour.

Not in the least, they lack the table football minigame! :D

Richelieu

spwolf said:
it doesnt matter if he is correct or not - it is stupid thing to downplay your opponent when they have record braking hit on their hands.

From what I understand, Reggie wasn’t downplaying the Xbox 360 or Halo- he was downplaying the launch of Halo 3. He said that people who want Halo 3 would already own a 360. This was mostly true because the 360 had a strong library of games that appeal to the typical Halo 3 player. I’m not trolling the console or the game, just stating that people are off-base if they think Reggie was so wrong.

When a console has a great library of games AND a huge system seller coming out, people don’t often wait for the system seller. They buy the console for Halo, perhaps, but they buy it early and enjoy other 360 games while they wait. That is why the launch of Halo 3 isn’t as important (as far as console sales go) as some people make it out to be.

ksamedi

maxmars said:
Not in the least, they lack the table football minigame! :D

Table football could have actually been good if you could control it with motion. Nunchuck one hand and Wiimote the other. I dont like it the way they implemented it, now its more like a game of luck rather than skill.

Richelieu said:
From what I understand, Reggie wasn’t downplaying the Xbox 360 or Halo- he was downplaying the launch of Halo 3. He said that people who want Halo 3 would already own a 360. This was mostly true because the 360 had a strong library of games that appeal to the typical Halo 3 player. I’m not trolling the console or the game, just stating that people are off-base if they think Reggie was so wrong.

When a console has a great library of games AND a huge system seller coming out, people don’t often wait for the system seller. They buy the console for Halo, perhaps, but they buy it early and enjoy other 360 games while they wait. That is why the launch of Halo 3 isn’t as important (as far as console sales go) as some people make it out to be.

This is silly though. Japanese sales ALWAYS spike, even for the best-selling systems, when a big game comes out.

It's more rare in the West, but it still does happen. If everyone simply bought their 360 ahead of time, sales wouldn't have spiked at all. The true test will be to see how long the 'spike' lasts, or if the 360 maintains high sales throughout the holidays. If it remains at or above Wii levels for a month or more, I think it would be safe to say that Reggie was indeed wrong. Again, if weekly sales WW only doubled for a few weeks, we're still talking about 100's of thousands of units moved just because of Halo 3. And if the baseline level of 360 sales remains higher than it was before Halo launched, that would be significant to 360 sales as well.

That's the definition of a system seller, isn't it? I don't think anyone expected the 360 userbase LTD to double overnight.

maxmars

ksamedi said:
Table football could have actually been good if you could control it with motion. Nunchuck one hand and Wiimote the other. I dont like it the way they implemented it, now its more like a game of luck rather than skill.

They did that to let you play 1 vs 1. This way, you can move all sticks at once.
I also would have liked to have the setup you suggest for 2p coop, but to say that now is more luck than skill is wrong.. You have to build somewhat different skills, but it's equally awesome (we're playing that every evening in the family).

ksamedi

maxmars said:
They did that to let you play 1 vs 1. This way, you can move all sticks at once.
I also would have liked to have the setup you suggest for 2p coop, but to say that now is more luck than skill is wrong.. You have to build somewhat different skills, but it's equally awesome (we're playing that every evening in the family).

I didn't play the multiplayer so you could be right, but 1 vs 1 could have easily been solved by automatic switching. I was just expecting a more real experience because I like the game a lot.

maxmars

ksamedi said:
I didn't play the multiplayer so you could be right, but 1 vs 1 could have easily been solved by automatic switching. I was just expecting a more real experience because I like the game a lot.

Ahh ok yes, in single player it isn't quite as satisfying. I did that once to unlock the last two tables but it wasn't anything special.

When you play with at least another person on the other hand, it's very very fun. I was literally infuriated for one brief moment at my wife for letting a slo mo shot enter the net (she's the goalie) and letting us lose a match where I single handedly let us come back 4-1 to 4-4.. Awesome stuff! :lol

Sharp

I know a lot of people who are going to get 360s for Halo 3 or GTA 4, even if they don't get them this week. Either way, incredible sales, especially considering it was going up against FIFA.

I guess the term 'Sonyland' does not really apply any more here in the UK.

Very impressive Halo 3 numbers, even more so considering the install base. And Reggie will be eating his words come the September NPDs.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Totally well-deserved for Halo 3 - especially for beating out all versions of FIFA 08... and for the 360 outselling the Wii, I guess that's a big "in your face" to those who thought that everyone who wanted Halo 3 already had a 360...

Congrats again Bungie!

DefectiveReject said:
tripled for a week maybe.... not forever.

At least two weeks according to this article:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28467

GI.biz said:
Chart-Track has released new statistics which show a 260 per cent week-on-week increase in UK sales for Microsoft's Xbox 360 in the UK - while the PSP has suffered its worst week of sales since launch.

As reported by MCV, the change in fortunes for both machines are down to hardware line-up changes.

In Xbox 360's case the sales spike coincided with the introduction of the new Elite model, and a price reduction for the existing Premium and Core versions.

Strong sales continued into a second week, falling by only 20 per cent.

The blame for the crash in PSP sales is attributed to retailers and consumers anticipating the imminent launch of the new Slim and Lite model of the handheld on September 14.

ChartTrack declined to supply specific sales figures for either Xbox 360 or PSP.

The price drop/Elite was the last week of August in the UK, so these sales were sustained for at least a good chunk of September.

The likely sales boost is 6k (pre-price drop #s) -> ~ 18-20k (price drop + Elite) -> ~36-40k (Halo 3 bump), conservatively.

If Wii sales were about 30k a week, this would indeed lead to the 360 outselling the Wii, as they noted here.

39 (13) [PS3] Heavenly Sword (Sony Computer Ent.)

What happened here? Is this some weird UK Chart thing where it really sold much better but because this is the All Formats chart and not the Full Price chart it's different? Or whatever?

BenjaminBirdie said:

What happened here? Is this some weird UK Chart thing where it really sold much better but because this is the All Formats chart and not the Full Price chart it's different? Or whatever?

It's the 7th best-selling PS3 game of the week, that's what happened.

BenjaminBirdie said:

It hasn't sold very well basically.

felipeko

BenjaminBirdie said:

INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS)

Top Bottom