• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 39, 2007 (Halo 3 - 2nd faster seller EVER behind GTA:SA)

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Paging Phoenix Down. Paging Phoenix Down.

Don't worry, he has until the end of December to weasel his way out of this one.

Funny thing is, since 360 UK LTD is roughly > or = to PS3 PAL LTD, Bioshock UK may have sold more than Heavenly Sword PAL. :lol

jimbo

Banned
Everyone who wants Halo 3, already bought a 360.

What's even more amazing, I have not bought Halo 3 yet.

RBH

WOW @ Halo 3's sales and the boost in 360 HW sales over the Wii.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks and whether or not the 360 can continue to outsell the Wii in the immediate future.

And damn, Heavenly Sword took a big drop. :eek: I honestly wasn't expecting its sales to be so frontloaded. I hate to use the B-word, but......

And it's no surprise to me that the PS2 version of Fifa sold the most.

GhaleonEB

I was hoping we'd get some indication of whether Halo 3 was going to move hardware. I thought we'd see an uptick, but not what actually happend.

Although ‘Halo 3’ had a headstart on San Andreas with 4 days of sales in its first week rather than San Andreas’ 2 days, the launch is still very impressive, helping to more than double the sales of Xbox 360 hardware to the highest level shown this year and even beats Nintendo’s Wii for the first time since week 13 this year.

GarthVaderUK said:
Halo 3 = second fastest selling game of all time, after San Andreas
360 hardware sales more than double, 360 > Wii
1.4 million 360s sold in UK
360 has highest software sales week ever
FIFA 08 is 3rd fastest selling 360 game
Biggest opening week of any FIFA game
Just to add to that, 1 in 3 360 owners bought Halo 3, or about 466,666 copies using the 1.4m installed base they provided. Doubling hardware sales on top of the boost from the price cut is pretty dern impressive. The two questions I have now are, what happens week to hardware sales (we know Halo 3 sales will drop hard), and did the US track similarly? If this kind of jump happens everywhere, and they can sustain it, the holidays just got very interesting.

(Kind of surprised at Heavenly Sword dropping so far.)

jimbo said:
Everyone who wants Halo 3, already bought a 360.

What's even more amazing, I have not bought Halo 3 yet.
Thats the thing most people with a 360 would of been after Halo3. As they would of done 1 an 2 and wanted to finish the trilogy off.

360games nomally are front loaded.... No1 for one maybe 2 weeks, float around another couple of weeks and then disappear

DefectiveReject said:
Thats the thing most people with a 360 would of been after Halo3. As they would of done 1 an 2 and wanted to finish the trilogy off.

360games nomally are front loaded.... No1 for one maybe 2 weeks, float around another couple of weeks and then disappear

FIFA, PES, and Halo will probably be in the top 10 for the rest of the year.

nli10

You guys know that retail channels are practically empty for the Wii in the UK right now don't you? Wii sales this week were off the scale low because they aren't in stores - Nintendo seem to be using this as an excuse to push out the new SKU pack with the Wiimote Condoms included for added protection to Europe.

Xbox has only doubled its HW sales on a week where 650k of a single game was shifted (and around 1 million software units in total). Personally I think this doesn't actually bode well, but I know that sales have been high already due to the new Halo style 360 and Elite.

Xbox is 1.4 Million units in the UK, PS3 is about that for the whole of Europe & people are wondering why the sales are lower...

Fifa 08 will be one of the top 5 selling cross-platform titles until after Xmas now here.

cjelly said:
Are we allowed to say Heavenly Sword has bombed yet?

Even I'm surprised by how quickly it's dropped down the charts.
Considering the insane production values on this one I'd say it's a pretty big bomb, even factoring in the high price. Maybe it'll fare better in NA.

Sharp said:
Apparently they have become very recently supply-constrained.

Especially since the PAL Charts were released.

As for Halo 3 and hardware what will really tell us if Halo 3 will sell hardware isnt the first week sales. If we see a week over week bump of the baseline is what we really need to look for. I certainly expected a Spike, but I also expect to see 360 sales just generally improve week over week with the super lineup the 360 has.

Sharp

KeithFranklin said:
Especially since the PAL Charts were released.

As for Halo 3 and hardware what will really tell us if Halo 3 will sell hardware isnt the first week sales. If we see a week over week bump of the baseline is what we really need to look for. I certainly expected a Spike, but I also expect to see 360 sales just generally improve week over week with the super lineup the 360 has.
Oh, Keith. I wouldn't believe if justjohn hadn't said anything, but he's not exactly a Wii fan.

Sharp said:
Oh, Keith. I wouldn't believe if justjohn hadn't said anything, but he's not exactly a Wii fan.

... and this site which tracks Wii availability - http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/. They say much the same - "After a period of good stock levels, all retailers are now experiencing stock shortages" - and as of right now, not one of the retailers has any Wii in stock.

On topic, great sales for Halo 3 :)

The top 40 has a pretty solid mix of all active platforms right now - well, apart from PSP but that's nothing new.

DSXBoy

CitizenCope said:
Wow THAT is some impressive info!
New Wiis have been out of stock in UK for 2 weeks now. If XB360 can't outsell Wii when it's sold out then MS might as well go 3rd party!!!

DSXBoy said:
New Wiis have been out of stock in UK for 2 weeks now. If XB360 can't outsell Wii when it's sold out then MS might as well go 3rd party!!!

I do believe ChartTrak would mention that as well though in the report. Really wouldnt ChartTrak have said "The 360 outsold the Wii although the Wii sold less than the previous period because of poor availability."

Sharp

thekad said:
Why is this thread only three pages :lol Don't answer that.
OMG NINTARDS

Or should we say "nice sales for Halo?" Sometimes it's not worth making the requisite understatement.

felipeko

Ok, i'm still messing with the games/numbers.. and i come with those charts:
Wii.PNG

X360.PNG

PS3.PNG

DS.PNG

PS2.PNG

PSP.PNG

I can see some trends already.. But i would like to have numbers from before week 33 :/

Jokeropia

That's some interesting charts, felipeko.
KeithFranklin said:
I do believe ChartTrak would mention that as well though in the report. Really wouldnt ChartTrak have said "The 360 outsold the Wii although the Wii sold less than the previous period because of poor availability."
That they are out of stock does not necessarily mean that availability was lower than normal. I don't see how you can even try to argue that they aren't any shortages however, did you even look at this link?

wotter

Completely ot, but Sony just announced they sold 2 million ps2's in benelux (belgium, netherlands, luxemburg). I don't know where I should have put this news :D.

spwolf

so how many Wii's can now Nintendo deliver per month 600,000-700,00? Less?

If they indeed upped their production to 15-18 million per year,where are those 800,000-1,000,000 Wii's going per month? Are they planning to sell 7-8 million in December?

I mean if Nintendo cant supply 600,000-700,000 Wii's on the market in September, they certainly wont win the holidays since they wont have enough units.

I dont really believe supply being depleted in Europe, easily in stock everywhere throughout continental europe...

Sharp

spwolf said:

If they indeed upped their production to 15-18 million per year,where are those 800,000-1,000,000 Wii's going per month? Are they planning to sell 7-8 million in December?

I mean if Nintendo cant supply 600,000-700,000 Wii's on the market in September, they certainly wont win the holidays since they wont have enough units.

I dont really believe supply being depleted in Europe, easily in stock everywhere throughout continental europe...
Well, shit, spwolf, I've been avoiding making assumptions about other countries' supply situations without having them backed up by a consensus of people who actually know what they're talking about, but your shining example has shown me the light!

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
Uh, they've been selling that many in just North America + Japan each month since April. Add the rest of the world and you're easily past a million per month.

spwolf

Sharp said:
Well, shit, spwolf, I've been avoiding making assumptions about other countries' supply situations without having them backed up by a consensus of people who actually know what they're talking about, but your shining example has shown me the light!

you can get them in Amazon.fr and Amazon.de, in stock... here in eastern europe they are in stock everywhere.

You need 10 different people to go to Amazon FR/DE to give you consensus? :D

Sharp

spwolf said:
you can get them in Amazon.fr and Amazon.de, in stock... here in eastern europe they are in stock everywhere.

You need 10 different people to go to Amazon FR/DE to give you consensus? :D
We were talking about the UK. As nobody had been saying it was supply-constrained anywhere but there, I'm not sure what you were trying to get at when you said you "didn't really believe" supply was being depleted in Europe.

spwolf

Jokeropia said:
Uh, they've been selling that many in just North America + Japan each month since April. Add the rest of the world and you're easily past a million per month.

Japan has been pretty bad in past 2-3 months... you think Europe sells as much as USA? Any hard evidence of that? It sells like crazy, yeah, but 400,000 per month in Sept crazy?

spwolf

Sharp said:
We were talking about the UK. As nobody had been saying it was supply-constrained anywhere but there, I'm not sure what you were trying to get at when you said you "didn't really believe" supply was being depleted in Europe.

I said continental Europe, which means without UK.

Sharp

spwolf said:
Japan has been pretty bad in past 2-3 months... you think Europe sells as much as USA? Any hard evidence of that? It sells like crazy, yeah, but 400,000 per month in Sept crazy?
I'm actually pretty sure the Wii doesn't sell as much in Europe as it does in the US, but that doesn't mean it didn't surpass those sales (and shipment) targets in NA+Japa. This month sales in Japan are pretty low, though, but that's not a shipment thing.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
Japan + US + Canada sales June through August:

June: 381,000 + 344,830 + 53,000 = 778,000
July: 335,307 + 425,000 + 36,419 = 796,726
August: 224,712 + 403,600 + 34,400 = 662,712

Your 600-700k per month number for the whole world is way off. The sales for June and July should prove that they can easily ship +1 million worldwide each month.

spwolf

Jokeropia said:
Japan + US + Canada sales June through August:

June: 381,000 + 344,830 + 53,000 = 778,000
July: 335,307 + 425,000 + 36,419 = 796,726
August: 224,712 + 403,600 + 34,400 = 662,712

Your 600-700k per month number for the whole world is way off. The sales for June and July should prove that they can easily ship +1 million worldwide each month.

yeah, but in Sept they were left without stock in UK, and in Sept those totals were less.... Maybe not 700k, but around 800k-900k for sure. Which is still 600-800k less than what they should be producing now.

I am just saying that there shouldnt be an shortage now in the UK, IF Nintendo is on track to do those 15-18mil per year.

Totalriot said:
Pro Evolution Soccer is not as big as Fifa. Fifa is a much more established franchise than PE. PE may be the better game but Fifa has more licenses.

Having licenses don't make the best selling game :D

PES actually outsells Fifa in a lot of countries in Europe and according to Konami sells better overall, this however switches back and forth.

Saying Fifa is the bigger game is however not correct, at least not in Europe.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
yeah, but in Sept they were left without stock in UK, and in Sept those totals were less.... Maybe not 700k, but around 800k-900k for sure. Which is still 600-800k less than what they should be producing now.

I am just saying that there shouldnt be an shortage now in the UK, IF Nintendo is on track to do those 15-18mil per year.
What's so hard to understand? The June and July numbers prove that their capacity is in excess of 1 million per month and has been so for quite a while. What these recent UK shortages could suggest is that they're stocking up more for the holiday season now. Or maybe Super Paper Mario caused an increase in demand.

thekad said:
Why is this thread only three pages :lol Don't answer that.
Actually the question should be why is this thread already at three pages? After the PS3 launch it was really quiet around here. Certain occurences seem to bring up more posters though.

Stick around for the other charts, which will be posted the next days. In a strange coincidence almost no one comments on the german charts but I bet you this week will be different and it won't be because of Ntards.

jakershaker said:
Having licenses don't make the best selling game :D

PES actually outsells Fifa in a lot of countries in Europe and according to Konami sells better overall, this however switches back and forth.

Saying Fifa is the bigger game is however not correct, at least not in Europe.
But the PES series is a whole lot more popular in Japan, meaning worldwide sales should be stronger. I'd say in Europe Fifa still reigns supreme in sales.

felipeko said:
UK:
TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 29 September 2007
01 (__) [360] Halo 3 (Microsoft)
02 (__) [PS2] Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
03 (__) [360] Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
04 (__) [PS3] Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
05 (__) [PSP] Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
06 (04) [NDS] More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
07 (__) [WII] Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
08 (08) [NDS] Mysims (Electronic Arts)
09 (05) [WII] Mysims (Electronic Arts)
10 (01) [WII] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo)

Some comments . . .
-Europe is slightly behind the USA in adopting next-gen platforms as shown by the PS2 version of FIFA 08 being the best selling one. (Whereas Madden 08 sold best on the 360). This should not be surprising since next-gen launched later in Europe.
-The UK is not a total Sony land . . . the 360 version of FIFA 08 did better than the PS3 version. But this could just be due to the 1 year head start of the 360. The PS3 version being just below the 360 version may mean it is not far behind.
-Like in the USA, the hardcore Euro sports videogame people favor the high-powered consoles (360 & PS3) over the Wii since both the PS3 & 360 versions did better than the Wii version. Heck, even the PSP version did better than the Wii verson of FIFA 08.
-Brits are poofters . . . two versions of MySims in the Top 10? :lol

RBH

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Paging Phoenix Down. Paging Phoenix Down.

I somehow skipped over this the first time I read this thread. :lol

But I'm still surprised at how Heavenly Sword dropped like a rock. I wasn't expecting it to be in the Top 10 this week, but hell, it almost dropped out of the chart entirely. :eek:

doicare said:
Both the 360 and ps3 versions of fifa 2008 outsold the wii version, and they did it by over triple to quadruple the amount.
Did I miss something? Where did you get that? 200% difference between three-four positions?

Arde5643

doicare said:
Both the 360 and ps3 versions of fifa 2008 outsold the wii version, and they did it by over triple to quadruple the amount.

rikitikitik said:
Did I miss something? Where did you get that? 200% difference between three-four positions?

He's halving the Wii numbers since they're 2 Gamecubes ducttaped together.

speculawyer said:
Some comments . . .
-Europe is slightly behind the USA in adopting next-gen platforms as shown by the PS2 version of FIFA 08 being the best selling one. (Whereas Madden 08 sold best on the 360) This should not be surprising since next-gen launched later in Europe.
Or maybe 360 owners were spending their money on a different game that week?
speculawyer said:
-The UK is not a total Sony land . . . the 360 version of FIFA 08 did better than the PS3 version. But this could just be due to the 1 year head start of the 360. The PS3 version being just below the 360 version may mean it is not far behind.
Without the actual figures its impossible to say how far they were apart, perhaps the top3 were far above the rest of the chart, perhaps it sold one copy more
speculawyer said:
-Like in the USA, the hardcore Euro sports videogame people favor the high-powered consoles (360 & PS3) over the Wii since both the PS3 & 360 versions did better than the Wii version. Heck, even the PSP version did better than the Wii verson of FIFA 08.
Proof if it was ever required that the Wii is beeing bought by non gamers or as a second console
speculawyer said:
-Brits are poofters . . . two versions of MySims in the Top 10? :lol
Perhaps we just have more enlightened females?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
mr_bishiuk said:
speculawyer said:

Without the actual figures its impossible to say how far they were apart, perhaps the top3 were far above the rest of the chart, perhaps it sold one copy more

percentage numbers for FIFA 08.

‘Halo 3’ is not the only massive game to be launched this week: EA’s ‘FIFA 08’ kicks off at No2 in the All Formats Chart with the biggest opening week of any FIFA game. The PS2 version accounts for 44% of sales, the Xbox 360 version 26%, 20% on PS3 and 10% across the remaining formats (PSP, Wii, PC and DS). The Xbox 360 version of ‘FIFA 08’ is the third fastest selling Xbox 360 game in the UK, behind ‘Halo 3’ and ‘Gears of War’. 83% of all Xbox 360 software sales were for ‘Halo 3’ and ‘FIFA 08’.

Top Bottom