• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could we be seeing a new Cruis'n game in the arcades soon?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Considering that Namco's arcade Mario Kart GP games never got a home port, I would. Gaming companies seem to have decided that arcade racing games should not get home port s anymore. This is something of a tragedy and needs to stop! I know arcade racing games are a shadow of their former self, but still, H2 Overdrive would certainly be one of at least my favorite racing games last gen had a port been made, and even if nobody else did I had fun with Cruis'n for the Wii for a few hours and would have liked to see home ports of its sequels, preferably with more features than that quick port had... something more like the N64 versions of World and Exotica would have been better, basically.

Well, the Mario Kart games were reliable sellers with long shelf lives at retail, so I don't think Nintendo wanted to cannibalize sales by porting over the arcade games. This, though, I think is different, the franchise has been dead for 15 years, mostly, and Nintendo may have done it to capture some of that nostalgic feelings going on lately.

Well, the Mario Kart games were reliable sellers with long shelf lives at retail, so I don't think Nintendo wanted to cannibalize sales by porting over the arcade games. This, though, I think is different, the franchise has been dead for 15 years, mostly, and Nintendo may have done it to capture some of that nostalgic feelings going on lately.

I hope you're right, but the absence of even downloadable PC or console ports of any arcade racing game made in the last what, eight years now is it, doesn't make me too hopeful... :( And that's not because nobody is making arcade racing games, they are. They just aren't getting released anywhere other than in arcades.

AmyS

tl:dr version, with Killer Instinct relevant in the gaming world again, it looks like the other franchise birthed from a Midway/Nintendo collaboration to promote the then-Ultra 64 may be primed for a comeback.

Ultra Sixty FOUURRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!

tumblr_lkggjxpzEt1qdmv0so1_500.gif

Never forget.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I hope you're right, but the absence of even downloadable PC or console ports of any arcade racing game made in the last what, eight years now is it, doesn't make me too hopeful... :( And that's not because nobody is making arcade racing games, they are. They just aren't getting released anywhere other than in arcades.

Well, we are getting a Wii U port of Pokken Tournament next year, so I'd assume Nintendo is going to do a port of New Cruis'n as well at some point.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Bumped for new news.

Arcade Heroes is reporting that the game is called Cruis'n Adventure, and is on loketest now in the Chicagoland area. This picture was snapped at the Regal City North Stadium 14 movie theater at 2600 N. Western Avenue.

crusinadventure1.jpg

Some things to note...

The cabinet looks incomplete- I don't see the shifter or telephone keypad, and there's no speaker covers.

The start button appears to be where the shifter normally is- maybe they mounted it next to the seat, like in San Francisco Rush 2049.

Andy Eloff told me that Raw Thrills got a "major car license" for this game, and judging from this picture, that major license is Lamborghini, because the orange car clearly looks like the Aventador. The gray car to the right looks like the Nissan GT-R NISMO.

Graphics look above and beyond the Fast and the Furious games, it appears to use the same graphics engine as MotoGP.

Nitro boosting from the Fast and the Furious games appears to be in, if the three blue markers above the speedometer is any indication.

I imagine this is going to be 60 FPS- the other Raw Thrills racers were pretty good with that, so no reason not to think so here.

That it's named "Cruis'n Adventure" makes me think there's going to be unusual locales in the manner of Cruis'n Exotica.

The camera from MotoGP also makes a return, it appears, for the put your face into the game thing.

Arcade Heroes also reports that this locale also has a "Dance Central 3 Arcade", and judging from the evidence provided, yes, it still has the Kinect motion controls of the original games.

Celine

It's incredible to me that there are still companies that produce arcade games in 2016 in US.
Good stuff.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow, amazing. Never thought I'd see another Cruis'n game. I hope they do an NX port at launch.

My dream team is ready!

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Weird that this is something that people can apparently go play... in a big city no less... and we have next to no information about it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wow, amazing. Never thought I'd see another Cruis'n game. I hope they do an NX port at launch.

My dream team is ready!
If there's an NX port, I hope it also includes pixel-perfect arcade ports of USA, World and Exotica, and emulations of the N64 ports, for the complete package.
Weird that this is something that people can apparently go play... in a big city no less... and we have next to no information about it.
Same thing happened with Dirty Drivin and Batman, too. That one just showed up on loketest, then we got the official confirmation on what's up.

nkarafo

Problem with arcade games is that they hardly even look as good as console, let alone PC games anymore. The catch used to be that arcades were the state of the art. You had your Saturn/PS1/N64 at home and in the arcade you had something like the Model 3, which was like two (not just one) generations ahead graphically.

Now the only catch left is the weird, flashy cabinets. The games themselves have nothing more to offer.

Top Bottom