• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy-Con Charging Grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonboy

My head hurts...

How do you charge the joycons if you don't buy anything extra? Do they charge while the system is docked?

KAL2006

Banned
So the one bundles with Switch doesn't do anything. It's just for comfort.

The one you buy separately charges you JoyCons most likely using its own batteries when not wired.

udivision

He says it'll change a spare set of joycons, but we don't know if it's though adapter or with the included battery.

So.. do we know or not? I want an answer. I'm in Canada and this is already getting expensive enough.

He's Holding a JoyCon Grip. He explains that it comes in teh box and that you put your controllers in it to emulate a Pro Pad.

He then says, "there is also a CHARGING grip accessory coming as well" which you can plug your Joy-Cons into and charge.

There are two different grips.

I think we know what's up.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
He's Holding a JoyCon Grip. He explains that it comes in teh box and that you put your controllers in it to emulate a Pro Pad.

He then says, "there is also a CHARGING grip accessory coming as well" which you can plug your Joy-Cons into and charge.

The one on treehouse is from the box unless they're flat out lying, they said it wasn't the charging one. It has a port at the top.

So then why is the grip somewhat transparent in the Treehouse video, where as what comes in the box, is not?

kami_sama

We already knew that there were two grips, the problem is that we don't know if only one of them can charge through usb-c or both can and the charging grip has an extra battery.
From the Spanish site:
N7fNmbu.jpg

Okay to clarify

https://youtu.be/ssnxkJx0wrI?t=9m32s

The one that comes in the box does charge the joycon

Theres a seperate accessory for spare joycons you can use to charge seperately. Otherwise. The joycon charges when they are plugged in to the controller or Switch

I'm not sure we can trust this link. The JoyCon Grip he's using in this video is not the same as the one that comes in the box. It is transparent, which is the way the charging one (sold seperately) looks.

udivision

Okay to clarify

https://youtu.be/ssnxkJx0wrI?t=9m32s

The one that comes in the box does charge the joycon

Theres a seperate accessory for spare joycons you can use to charge seperately. Otherwise. The joycon charges when they are plugged in to the controller or Switch

I don't think so.

He never says the thing that he's holding charges the Joy-Cons. He goes on about how it's a substitute for the Pro Pad experience. And then talks about some other peripheral for charging.

And then says the Joy-Cons are charged when attached to the Nintendo Switch.

KAL2006

Banned
The more I learn about Switch the more of a rip off it is

JoyCon grip isn't a 3rd battery or even a charger. Just a bit of plastic for comfort. You need to buy a separate accessory for the grips that charge

Here is a time line of my dissapointments so far

Conference
Fuck $299
Fuck pay for online
Hmm free NES and SNES games, seems lame compared to PSN

After conference
Fuck £280 is UK price this is a joke it must be a joke
32GB why so low why not atleast 64GB this shit is £280 and that's all I get
Fuck why are Switch games £60
Whaaaaat only 1 NES or SNES game
That arcade stick must mean we will get Tekken 7, search GAF inside out, huh it's SF2HF, it has glitches and is overpriced
What the fuck at those accessory prices
Free for a month and not forever I'm depressed
JoyCon grip is a piece of plastic and doesn't charge, just when I thought it can't get worse.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You know the Treehouse guys probably don't know the difference between the Plain Grip and the Charging Grip, they just know that they exist.

I don't think so.

He never says the thing that he's holding charges the Joy-Cons. He goes on about how it's a substitute for the Pro Pad experience. And then talks about some other peripheral for charging.

And then says the Joy-Cons are charged when attached to the Nintendo Switch.

:/

Christ on a cob I think you are right.

So we have to plug in our Joycon to the switch after every home TV session

Hasney

Fuck why are Switch games £60
That arcade stick must mean we will get Tekken 7, search GAF inside out, huh it's SF2HF, it has glitches and is overpriced
JoyCon grip is a piece of plastic and doesn't charge, just when I thought it can't get worse.

1) No they're not
2) The glitch thing was a joke in a bad thread title
3) Nobody knows yet

The £60 thing is getting out of hand. Did you know Diablo 3 PS4 is one of many games that launched with a £59.99 RRP? Did you find many stores charging that at launch, if any? Knack launched at £55!

Glix

If this is still unclear by tomorrow I promise I will do everything I can to get an answer at the club nintendo event.

So JoyCons when attached to the Switch in "handheld mode" will charge via USB-C, right? But there is no USB-C cable included in the box? Atleast that what it looks like from the "What's in the Box" section of the Nintendo site.

jts

...hate me...
ahhh I see. That makes sense then.

So we have to charge the screen and the joycon :/ That's a lot of work.

To clarify, the joy-cons charge automatically off the the main unit, when they’re attached. So when you’re charging the main unit (via dock or cable) it’s charging everything. No need to worry about charging multiple things separately.

Hasney

Well that's a shitter. Fuck Nintendo/Treehouse for spreading mis-information too.

Still, if the 20 hour battery life holds up, I should be OK as long as I remember to reclip the things.

Shiggy

Homepage of Nintendo Japan :

+ going in details, on the Charging Grip page :

+ the comparaison pic between the grip in the box and the Charging grip, that only indicates the USB port on the Charging grip
+ like I said, Treehouse mentionning an "accessory that will come" to charge them
etc, etc.

Seems rather clear then that the one that's included in the box does not charge.

udivision

Well that's a shitter. Fuck Nintendo/Treehouse for spreading mis-information too.

Still, if the 20 hour battery life holds up, I should be OK as long as I remember to reclip the things.

Yeah, I really don't think the 20 Hour Joy-Cons should ever die.

I don't think my Wii U Pad Pro's ever died, but those things are kind of insane when it comes to battery.

Hasney

So JoyCons when attached to the Switch in "handheld mode" will charge via USB-C, right? But there is no USB-C cable included in the box? Atleast that what it looks like from the "What's in the Box" section of the Nintendo site.

The a/c adaptor is USB-C one end, plug the other.

Dweebo

Banned
This is one of the dumbest things Nintendo has ever done. If the battery runs out and you're playing on the TV you basically have to stop playing it on TV to switch to handheld or be forced to buy the separate grip or overprice Pro Controller. Unacceptable.

PeterGAF

Banned

azyless

The What's In The Box page on Nintendo.com also doesn't show a USB cable to charge that controller. I know Nintendo can be shitty about cables but I'm adding it to my "why I don't think the basic grip doesn't have a USB port" list.

CDX

This is a pic from the separate dock set.
But I assume it's the same AC adapter that's included with the console. That looks like a USB-C port on the other end of the charger to me, but I could be wrong.

If it's like how the 3DS dock was. The charger will fit both the dock or the portable console an you chose which way to use it.

If you want to keep the dock plugged in and have an extra spare charger to use while the Switch is in portable mode you'll probably have to buy an extra charger, just like you had to with the 3DS. Although this time it's USB-C, so hopefully any USB-C charger will work.

TBH I'm not even sure if the grip that comes with the console has a USB-C port on it, so that would be the reason for not including an USB-C cable to charge it.

crinale

Laura said the only way to recharge the Joy-Cons without having the Charging Grip is by connecting them on the console while its on the dock.

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/820020308946092033?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
Oh shit, so pack-in one does NOT charge..

Moltenix

Supposing the battery life is as they say, I guess it's not the end of the world if the included grip doesn't feature a usb-c port for charging.

But it does kinda suck if you're someone planning to mostly play in TV mode. After each session, you would have to detach the Joycons from the grip, attach them to the main system to charge, and then detach and reattach to the grip the next time you wanna play.

Would be so much easier to just keep the Joycons in the grip, plug in a usb cable into the grip and charge that way. Guess we gotta fork over the extra money for such convenience...

Formosa

To clarify, the joy-cons charge automatically off the the main unit, when they’re attached. So when you’re charging the main unit (via dock or cable) it’s charging everything. No need to worry about charging multiple things separately.

That is very very good to know.

What's the source on the 20 hour battery life on the Joy-Con's?

Will the Joy-Con's also charge while attached to the tablet and it's being charged?

If the Joy-Con's last 20 hours on a single charge, they shouldn't ever actually die considering the tablet lasts 2.5-6 hours per charge. And how often will one go on a 20 hour gaming session before putting the Joy-Con's back on the tablet to charge?

If the 20 hour battery life is true, then it shouldn't be a big deal to me. If they can also charge while the table is being charged in handheld mode, then that's even better, but if not, it's not like they'd die before the table would anyway.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What's the source on the 20 hour battery life on the Joy-Con's?

Will the Joy-Con's also charge while attached to the tablet and it's being charged?

Spec sheet on Nintendo Japan website someone posted. Sorry I can't remember which of the crazy busy threads it was in.

Yes, they'll charge while attached--that's the only way to charge them without the optional charging grip. Not sure about charging while in handheld mode--I'd guess so, at the expense of draining more battery. If nothing else you can plug in the tablet with a USB-c cable to a charger port while playing.

Spec sheet on Nintendo Japan website someone posted. Sorry I can't remember which of the crazy busy threads it was in.

Yes, they'll charge while attached--that's the only way to charge them without the optional charging grip. Not sure about charging while in handheld mode--I'd guess so, at the expense of draining more battery. If nothing else you can plug in the tablet with a USB-c cable to a charger port while playing.

I mean if this is true, then the charging grip isn't an absolute necessity unless you've got extra Joy-Con's that don't have anywhere else to be charged at.

random25

Charging grip is irrelevant when you think about it.

If you worry too much that at some point you'll end up with no juice in your Joycons, just regularly slip it out of the grip, whatever kind you have, and put it back to the system while plugged in whenever your play session is over. That way, you keep both your system (if you ever take it as a portable) and Joycons charged up.

A charging grip, if it really is a separate accessory, is not that useful.

Charging grip is irrelevant when you think about it.

If you worry too much that at some point you'll end up with no juice in your Joycons, just regularly slip it out of the grip, whatever kind you have, and put it back to the system while plugged in whenever your play session is over. That way, you keep both your system (if you ever take it as a portable) and Joycons charged up.

A charging grip, if it really is a separate accessory, is not that useful.

We all know you can plug them back in. It's just insane to have to. I don't ever want to have to put them back in unless I'm taking it somewhere, which in the winter I won't do at all.

It not coming with a charging controller dock is a huge dick move by Nintendo. There's just no reason to do it.

They know people will want it, hence making one that does it and milking people for an extra 30$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom