• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court upholds offensive trademarks as form of free speech

TS-08

I am truly indifferent to whatever legal doctrines are at play here. I generally do not believe that speech in the abstract requires the force of government granted monopoly. To the extent that speech has any value, it is because there can be speech and counter-speech; if naming something is an act of speech, then getting the sole ability to suppress others from making that speech seems abusive to me.

Naming something or creating a phrase is inherently expressive. I don't see why that should be viewed differently because you may have the sole "right" to use a mark or phrase in a specific commercial context. Trademarks don't foreclose counter-speech.

Raven117

Yep. This one was an easy one. Glad to see a unanimous court. Especially because i generally don't trust alito on first amendment issues.

Not always, but sometimes the justice that is the least "on board" is asked to write the decision to make it as focused as possible.

FStubbs

From a legal/Constitution perspective, this is honestly the result I would hope for. I don't think it's the USPTO's position to deny these types of marks.

From a decency/common sense perspective, I would hope that no one would actually use these names in commerce. And if they do, I would hope that our society would let them know that offensive names have no place.

Half our society supports Trump.

Draft

Good ruling. The gentleman with standing was on an episode of Planet Money not long ago. He has a very compelling argument.

Dan Snyder is a gross, incompetent boob and Redskins is an abhorrent name for a sports team.

#HTTR

The Wart

I am truly indifferent to whatever legal doctrines are at play here. I generally do not believe that speech in the abstract requires the force of government granted monopoly. To the extent that speech has any value, it is because there can be speech and counter-speech; if naming something is an act of speech, then getting the sole ability to suppress others from making that speech seems abusive to me.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by counter-speech, your position seems to imply that it has value only in adversarial contexts. I don't think many people will agree with you on that. I also don't think giving your product the same name as a competing product is a great example of valuable counter-speech. No one is stopping you from saying that Redskins is a shitty name for a football team. You can write that on your commercially available T-shirt.

Edit: As TS-08 alludes, I think most people believe that allowing expression has value, full-stop, no further contingencies required.

Top Bottom