• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACLU supports free speech on college campuses (including offensive speech)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTOOLL

You can be protectionist and still support immigration, in fact globalism doesn't mean anti-immigration and has more to do with international trade and agreements. I'm left and if there are those who actually think that's white supremacists, they're ignorant on the subject.

Also this is true, some racists assholes like to hide behind "anti-globalism" to hide their true racist intentions. Again, globalism has nothing to do with immigration, it's an economic and industry ideology.

Globalism is political too, mainly I would say. I'm not talking about globalization, guys. It's globalism.

Edit: anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. I'm done here.

Free speech is the right to say offensive things. It does not protect you from the consequences of saying those things(eg: protest).

sazzy

I fully support and endorse the ACLUs point of view and course of action regarding offensive speech on college campuses.

If you find yourself utterly disagreeing with an organization whose avowed goal is to defend civil liberties for everyone, then I think you need to take a good, long, hard look at yourself, and consider that maybe, just maybe there's the tiniest possibility that you've turned into exactly the monster you claim to oppose.

Commendable and bold move in that it assumes well-mannered discussion can be sufficient in the current political climate.

I am just losing faith if that'll be enough in the future to crack down on movements that serve only to harm people.

Angel_DvA

If you want to prove people wrong, you need to learn first what they have to say, taboo is more dangerous than free speech, someone can be mocked by saying stupid things in public but can be really effective in private circle...

If it offended you, tell them but you'll never change their way of thinking by trying to shut them up, you need to show them where they are wrong.

Riposte

ACLU is legit. I don't think their fierce belief in free speech necessarily falls in line with those who can't accept the idea of someone like Yiannopoulos being allowed to speak on campuses, but, hey, the latter still rushed to donate to them anyway lol.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Appeal to authority: the thread. Also, you don't need to stat a thread to express your opinion. New threads are generally for new news, not as a grandstand for your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom