• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a congressional hearing tomorrow (27th) on free speech at college campuses

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://oversight.house.gov/hearing/challenges-freedom-speech-college-campuses/

Livestream link

PURPOSE:
- To identify the harms of infringing on the right to free speech on college campuses.
- To explore recommendations on how to encourage and protect First Amendment rights, as well as intellectual and ideological diversity, on college campuses.
- To understand administrators’ concerns about public safety and controversial speakers on campus, which sometimes lead to unconstitutional restrictions on free speech.

BACKGROUND:
- In recent years, failures by college administrators and rising intolerance among college students have led to a number of disturbing and, at times, violent anti-speech incidents on college campuses.
- While students’ constitutionally protected right to free speech is under attack on campuses, these schools receive billions of dollars each year from federal taxpayers.
- Some of the witnesses will be able to speak firsthand about speech suppression on campus, including having been shouted down, threatened, and disinvited.

tyQcQwL.png

Will likely be corny but maybe entertaining to watch.

preta

What an incredibly dishonest framing of the situation. Not that I'd expect much less, especially considering some of the witnesses invited.

Going to be a bunch of people in a safe space whining about safe spaces

basically

preaching about how it's wrong if universities don't let harassers speak at their campus while doing nothing to actually infringe on their right to free speech

it'll be a circus of shitheads

Dyle

Man, this week in Washington could hardly get any more heated and chaotic, could it? Can't wait to hear the same straw man arguments and false equivalences we heard here in Wisconsin last month when they passed a bill giving admins more, i.e. unnecessary, power to suspend/expel students.

While I abhor violence, contrary to popular belief students protesting divisive speakers is just as much an act of free speech as the speeches themselves.

AoM

The recent trend seems to be:

- Student group goes through the proper channels to line up a certain speaker.
- The university cannot guarantee the safety of students given planned protests, or they can't find a venue to hold the event given now needed security measures, etc.
- The event is canceled given above safety concerns or "delayed" indefinitely trying to find a venue.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Adam Carolla has a documentary called No Safe Spaces? Holy shit, I'd rather watch myself get murdered.

Republicans be mad that they can't be bigots so they do this shit.

No i am not in favor of nazis and people like Ann coulter having a platform. Fuck off.

rackham

Banned
Adam Corolla is one the few scumbags who works in comedy that happens to love everything Republican. The guy is a loser, his podcast is garbage, and he's always been a try hard Norm Macdonlad.

Number_6

I don't get why you need a hearing. It's just going to be a shitshow.

Here, this is so simple.

Bigoted pieces of shit are free to spew their hate speech whenever they want. That is their right.

They do not, however, have the inalienable right to a venue.

The students have the right to protest, as that is also free speech. They probably shouldn't break or burn shit though.

I don't get why you need a hearing. It's just going to be a shitshow.

Here, this is so simple.

Bigoted pieces of shit are free to spew their hate speech whenever they want. That is their right.

They do not, however, have the inalienable right to a venue.

The students have the right to protest, as that is also free speech. They probably shouldn't break or burn shit though.

What has carolla said that makes him a bigoted posÉ

What has carolla said that makes him a bigoted posÉ
He did have a thing about gay people and a bit of transphobia a few years ago...
Adam Carolla: The Gay Mafia is real (THR)
After making comments in 2011 that some said were anti-gay, Adam Carolla came under fire from a number of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) media watchdog groups.

Now the comedian has continued his diatribe about gays and political correctness in an interview with Salon, where he claimed that the gay mafia is a reality. "If you can’t work with gay people, you’re gonna have a difficult time in Hollywood," he said in the Q&A.

The source of the original outcry was an August 2011 rant that included commentary on gay marriage stemming from Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie gay controversy, in which Carolla said gay people should "get married and shut up." He also apparently said that LGBT people should just call themselves "Yuck," then ended the tirade with a question: "When did we start giving a s--- about these [transgender] people?" His subsequent apology and claim that he is "a comedian, not a politician," left watchdog groups like GLAAD wanting more.
In his latest interview, Carolla said an increased sensitivity in our culture has made it harder to be a comic: "They may mean it half the time, but they’re still making jokes, why are they held to the same standard as statesmen?"

When asked by Salon if he is anti-gay, Carolla replied: "You can’t live in Hollywood and get along in this business and be in theater companies and improv companies and have issues with gay people. My last movie I did was a boxing movie called The Hammer, and the director [Charles Herman-Wurmfeld] was gay. If you can’t work with gay people, you’re gonna have a difficult time in Hollywood. There’s plenty of gay people, and they’re in positions above you. You’re not going to get your movie directed.

"I don’t have a problem with it -- they’ve just turned into a mafia and demanding everyone apologize for every joke and retract every statement.​

And weird remarks about Asians:
"I don’t feel the need to lift anyone up. If they’re funny, I’ll give them a shot. If they’re not, I won’t. But I don’t have quotas to fill. I’m fine with the notion that there are genders and races that lean more to comedy -- where are the Asian comedians? Maybe there just aren’t any!"

Carolla was also vocal about "systemic disadvantages" for people who are non-white. "I would go ahead and say: The Asians beat the rigged system and did better than white people," he said. "You don't think that'd be something to look into? Do you think we decided to rig the system against certain ethnicities?"​

IrishNinja

carolla's a shitheel, and shaprio too - you can pretty much guarantee anyone that makes this their highest priority (and not the interests of those actually oppressed) is a right wing fuckwit, or one posing as a berniebro.

Top Bottom