• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America, Colleges, Comedians and 'Safe Spaces'

MsKrisp

Safe spaces are just rooms, clubs, offices, etc, where you are welcome to take a break.

Stop acting like it means college kids get to live in a bubble and cover their ears. It's a place to get together with people like you and talk about your issues, or a place to relax without fear of getting fucked with. Anyone who has a problem with safe space, or think that entire colleges are "safe spaces" where students are never exposed to scary, opposing opinions, is ignorant to what a safe space actually is.

entremet

Honestly, I'm even less inclined to listen to people like Seinfeld when it comes to it. He's had it made for so long that the impetus to evolve with the times isn't really there and thus he can afford to just shut out audiences that might demand more of him.
Seinfeld’s act is as family friendly as they come. Seinfeld didn’t criticize colleges. It was Chris Rock who told him and he relayed it.

Seinfeld commented on a discussion he had with his daughter, who ascertained bigotry in a very poor example.

Safe spaces are for weaklings, and they cause division. The world doesn't work like this. There are many unpleasant truths.
Deal with it or try to make it better if it's something that can be changed.

Causing division? No, it's a symptom of the problem. We wouldn't need it if _____ists didn't exists. Just because you have bigots on campus doesn't mean you have to force yourself to fraternize with them for the sake of hearing other people's opinions. The bigot has nothing to gain by spewing a message to people who don't want to receive other than to troll and it should be within the person's right to choose not to hear it.

There wouldn't be a need for a black panther party if the opinions and actions of racists during that time. They had to find their safe space for their mental and physical health.

Today in a college setting, it's not to this extreme, but we do have black face parties all the time, hung nooses, painted swastikas, vandalized cultural centers, random pamphlets from alt-right groups being passed out to college students.

When you say "deal with it", why don't you accept retreating to a safe space as a way to "deal with it". To congregate with people who hold similar feelings and reactions to actions that happened on a campus. You don't have people bring in beer during an AA meeting because you want to teach the people their that there's gonna be temptations in life, better get use to it while the aroma of liquor is in the air. That's stupid.

People have no right to dictate the terms of how people cope with their feelings nor force them to take actions they aren't comfortable performing. There is 0% of empathy on the part of the affected people. I know this must be some twisted way of you meaning well in general, but projecting how you deal with something on other people is not the way to go about things. Either is believing your way is the right way the majority of the time.

Edit: As far as comedy clubs go, you can't enforce a safe space in a public setting where another person is leading the event. You may not like the content and walk out, but that isn't the place to enforce those rules. But if you don't like it, raise a stink and make it known to the public. That's never gonna mesh. Doesn't mean comedians can't make tasteless jokes that are just bad. Nothing wrong in pointing those out.

Future

Safe spaces are just rooms, clubs, offices, etc, where you are welcome to take a break.

Stop acting like it means college kids get to live in a bubble and cover their ears. It's a place to get together with people like you and talk about your issues, or a place to relax without fear of getting fucked with. Anyone who has a problem with safe space, or think that entire colleges are "safe spaces" where students are never exposed to scary, opposing opinions, is ignorant to what a safe space actually is.

Wikipedia has a pretty good summation of the criticisms of safe spaces. If it was just a room here and there it wouldn't get much press

Wikipedia on safe spaces said:
Writing for The New York Times, journalist Judith Shulevitz distinguished between meetings where participants mutually consent to provide a safe space, and attempts to make entire dormitories or student newspapers safe spaces. According to Shulevitz, the latter is a logical consequence of the former: "Once you designate some spaces as safe, you imply that the rest are unsafe. It follows that they should be made safer." The same article gave the following example of a safe space at Brown University, when libertarian Wendy McElroy, who was known for criticizing the term "rape culture" was invited to give a speech: "The safe space, Ms. Byron [unreferenced?] explained, was intended to give people who might find comments 'troubling' or 'triggering,' a place to recuperate. The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma."[20] Critics accused the college of infantilizing the students.[21][22][23]

Journalist Conor Friedersdorf criticized the use of outdoor safe spaces to block press coverage of student protests. According to Friedersdorf, such uses reverse the intent of safe spaces: "This behavior is a kind of safe-baiting: using intimidation or initiating physical aggression to violate someone's rights, then acting like your target is making you unsafe."[24]

cwmartin

I personally believe that there isn't anything "off limits" specifically with comedians. I think the mistake made often is ascribing a joke to be the opinion of the performer delivering it. You can think something is funny without believing it true or accurate.

jstripes

Banned
Safe spaces are for weaklings, and they cause division. The world doesn't work like this. There are many unpleasant truths.

Or maybe people want to learn in peace without privileged dickheads making it difficult for them. Americans are paying tens of thousands of dollars to be there, after all.

There's different degrees of safe space, some of them problematically extreme, but it keeps idiots from needlessly provoking each other.

http://splitsider.com/2017/01/in-defense-of-the-much-maligned-college-standup-gig/

The dynamic of laughs on campus differs in a key way from that of clubs or arenas: you know, and often are in constant contact with, fellow audience members. Club-goers can react without worry that they'll get judged for it, save that one obnoxious laugher or heckler that you can identify on the way out. But college students, who live, take classes, and work together, interact differently.

Being hesitant to laugh, and being educated or trained not to laugh, are different. And what Rock, Maher, Sykes and others are likely seeing gets attributed to the second factor rather than the first.

With that said, the lion's share of audience members care very little. They'll laugh or they won't, respond or stay silent. And the social media outrage we've attributed to young folks? That can happen anywhere, after any show, from practically anyone. Widespread reports of the humorless college student have been greatly exaggerated. The benefits of playing to this subset of audiences, especially for comedians looking to build a name for themselves, far outweigh the disadvantages — and it's worth noting that the most vocal opponents to college shows can literally and figuratively afford to take that stance. For the rest? It's worth the ”risk" of a potentially less responsive audience.

Your complaining comedians are the older, richer ones, who frankly don't have to perform college stand-up. Colleges are no different than anywhere else outside of the unique audience dynamic.

As an example Daniel Tosh finished doing a campus tour earlier this year. If Daniel Tosh can do it, you have to ask, what are those folks who complain about it doing wrong? (Also, College gigs pay mad well.)

You have no idea what safe spaces are.

They've also been around for decades and done a lot 9f good especially for LGBTQ+ folk

Servbot24

Banned
People see a couple extreme stories about safe spaces on the news and for some reason have jumped to the conclusion that any form of safety (except for conservative safety of course) is causing the nation to crumble to pieces.

People see a couple extreme stories about safe spaces on the news and for some reason have jumped to the conclusion that any form of safety (except for conservative safety of course) is causing the nation to crumble to pieces.

The right-wing propaganda machine at work.

They want to demonize colleges and young liberals and a lot of people are taking the bait.

rackham

Banned
What kind of jokes are these guys telling that upsets the students? Do they really need to hear people making fun of them? Find a better brand of comedy.

Wikipedia has a pretty good summation of the criticisms of safe spaces. If it was just a room here and there it wouldn't get much press

The play doh room is one extreme example (and even then not exactly harmful) that has for some reason (just kidding I know the reason) been used to attack an entire decades old concept.

And that argument is ridiculous yes some spaces are less safe for minorities and we should make them safer by eliminating bigotry.

I wouldn't even know safe spaces were a thing if it wasn't for all the jokes about them. Never encountered one even at college

You'd think they were placed in the middle of the highway forcing people to reroute their way to work the way people talk about them.

SirShandy

Are safe spaces a 'thing'?

The words have been thrown around enough that what a safe space implies varies by context. The idea of a like minded group of people having a place where they can feel comfortable and not be impinged on by adversarial groups is hardly a new thing. The difference with the new politically charged version of "safe space" is the contention over what is usually considered more neutral ground, (like a college campus for example) and social networking being a powerful tool for collecting like minded people and making a safe space a larger, less hidden thing.

Though I feel like the term is more popular now as a negative connotation because it is being associated with close-mindedness or restraints on free speech. There's definitely a spectrum of valid to not-so-valid uses of safe spaces, but it seems to be publicly used mainly for ideological leverage. So, there's no hard and fast rule for what a safe space is in practice, as it is mainly a concept or ideal.

Are comedians trying to have their cake and eat it too by complaining about the free speech of others?

I don't think it's really about free speech. A comedian or some kind of demagogue will always have a platform to say what they want to say, even if it's not strictly a physical location. Specifically with comedians however, the issue you're talking about is oriented around college campuses. Comedians aren't seeking to go somewhere to spread an ideology or create a movement. They want to make people laugh and hopefully make a solid career out of it. It is true also that comedians want to aim outside the comfort zone and break through the wall of political correctness simply because one of the main goals of comedy is to put a mirror to the status quo and break through that and show its hidden absurdities.

Now different kinds of people leverage the term "political correctness" for very different reasons. Utilizing it for comedy is way different than utilizing it in service of ideology. And I'm not avoiding the fact that yes, comedians do come with some kind of implicit ideology but they are also coming under the label of a comedian. They are not meant to be taken with strict seriousness, or at all if you don't like their material. The audience is ultimately king in this kind of dynamic. You find them funny or you do not. So I do not see how comedians impinge on anyone's free speech. I would not call protesting a comedian a limit on free speech either. It's just one less gig for them.

Are colleges 'liberal bubbles'?

I think they are definitely seen as such by the right. And college graduates definitely tend to skew towards the liberal side. However I feel like there are far too many kinds of people in any one college with various interests, many not even that politically active, to call most colleges any kind of singular political bubble.

If they are, is this reflective of America as a whole but there's a lack of introspection that goes into that criticism?

Yes, everyone falls into their own bubble with respect to many different aspects of their lives, though I'm not sure how that's completely avoidable. I'm not sure their exists an agreed upon objective way of approaching society. Even education and science is heavily politicized in the US. And I would say that most social media, especially through facebook and twitter does not promote introspective criticism. It mainly supports and popularizes reactionary and hyperbolic sentiments.

http://splitsider.com/2017/01/in-defense-of-the-much-maligned-college-standup-gig/

Your complaining comedians are the older, richer ones, who frankly don't have to perform college stand-up. Colleges are no different than anywhere else outside of the unique audience dynamic.

As an example Daniel Tosh finished doing a campus tour earlier this year. If Daniel Tosh can do it, you have to ask, what are those folks who complain about it doing wrong? (Also, College gigs pay mad well.)

Exactly.

Seinfeld and Rock barely tour and don't need the exposure because they sell out arenas. They’re the last comedians I'd turn to for opinions on college campuses.

Small Towns are safe spaces for white people.

Until that changes I will never take any complaint about safe spaces seriously.

Nairume

Banned
I wouldn't say it accounts for all of them, but a good number of them. It also seems like a lot of comedians whining about safe spaces are the ones who are facing irrelevancy because they are refusing to keep up and want to blame audiences for not giving them an uncritical ear.

I have yet to see compelling evidence that safe spaces are even an actual wide-scale phenomenon, so I don't find the debate around them particularly useful.

It's also fundamentally impossible for me to take the "stifles freedom of speech criticism" seriously. Yes, when the right-wing groups on our campus would invite speakers who demonized minorities, people went and protested - eventually, the narrative that emerged was that protesting = demanding safe space. But whenever other groups on campus, regardless of political affiliation, would bring in speakers who talked about things like evolution or the big bang, those same right-wing groups would show up and... protest. The inherent dishonesty that the right is concerned about free speech, and not merely the accumulation of power, poisons the well of any legitimate discussion.

The problem with safe spaces is this: most people, especially comedians, don't know what a safe space is. A safe space is a place where an issue can be discussed freely without fear that anyone will be treated with silencing hostility. Safe spaces have always existed. Well run classrooms are safe spaces. Government buildings for political debate are safe spaces. This forum is a safe space. Anywhere bullying behavior used to silence or intimidate people is not allowed is a safe space. It has nothing to do with bubbles or silencing dissent to protect fragile sensibilities. The only thing new is the concept has been formalized with a specific term.

I think colleges should be the exact opposite of safe spaces, in the context of being challenged intellectually. Universities are exactly the place where I'd want intelligent, young minds to be challenged and to be forced to have sometimes heated debates about ideas that are different then their parent's ideas.

Logic should win out.

I agree that colleges shouldn't be safe spaces, but there should be many safe spaces within them.

Like others have said, safe spaces are not inherently bad. AA is a safe space. LGBT meetings are safe spaces. NeoGAF is a safe space from shitposting and bigotry. The United States is supposed to be a safe space for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The rules codify what the safe space is protecting.

There's a discussion to be had about whether hatred, ignorance, and delusional thinking deserve safe spaces. The_Donald is a safe space for these. I would argue that the United States should be a safe space for these things, but society should not. Trump believes the entire world should be his safe space. When conservatives demonize safe spaces, what they're really doing is trying to expand their safe space.

Bronx-Man

Banned
As someone in college right now, I never got what this whole thing is about. It just seems like your average dipshit right-wing news talking point.

zeemumu

TL;DR:
Are safe spaces a 'thing'?
Are comedians trying to have their cake and eat it too by complaining about the free speech of others?
Are colleges 'liberal bubbles'?
If they are, is this reflective of America as a whole but there's a lack of introspection that goes into that criticism?

Yes

Yeah but then again so does everyone else

I'd think that grade school is more of a bubble world. You generally see the same exact people for like 12 years and have a set schedule in a set location that you can't leave from until a specified time and have little to no control over any of this. Then you graduate and either go into college or the real world and are forcibly pulled from that bubble world into a world where the decisions are up to you and you meet a ton of different people who have new ideas about stuff n things that you've never experienced before. It's probably not common to go into a standard college where absolutely everyone is conservative because the population of most colleges is so diverse (at least ideology-wise, I think). If a bubble's where you go to ignore the changing world (I should mention that I'm referring to safe spaces and bubbles as two different things), shouldn't most bubbles be conservative? Never made much sense to me.

I dunno

The fear mongering about college safe spaces from the right the past few years has been something alright... not only is it not a big deal, it's really not prevalent at all and they never ever go after the people actually doing the harassment hmm. It's just another talking point in the crusade against education.

And yes I know what meeting you're talking about and it was a load of horseshit since it included intellectual heavyweights like Ben Shapiro.

Cyframe

Are people against safe spaces ever going to target country clubs? Trump literally has gone to a safe space...every other week at maralago.

Minorities needing a reprieve from racism and homophobia are perfectly reasonable accommodations. If you're someone who thinks they should have to debate their humanity at all hours on a college campus, that's why they need a space away, a club, a minority rights group, those are what safe spaces are.

This whole backlash from comedians, Jerry Seinfeld, for example, is one of entitlement. As a comedian, you don't have the right to laughter and applause. If you are going to a certain venue and jokes aren't getting a welcome reception, you can't blame the audience here. You don't have to alter your material, but you can't complain when people don't like it. It's whining.

There were a lot of comedians that got their start at the legendary Apollo Theater, and got booed, a few times. They didn't blame the audience, they adapted and grew and were better received. I feel like comedians complaining when their jokes don't hit, need to go back to the Apollo for an education.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have yet to see compelling evidence that safe spaces are even an actual wide-scale phenomenon, so I don't find the debate around them particularly useful.

It's also fundamentally impossible for me to take the "stifles freedom of speech criticism" seriously. Yes, when the right-wing groups on our campus would invite speakers who demonized minorities, people went and protested - eventually, the narrative that emerged was that protesting = demanding safe space. But whenever other groups on campus, regardless of political affiliation, would bring in speakers who talked about things like evolution or the big bang, those same right-wing groups would show up and... protest. The inherent dishonesty that the right is concerned about free speech, and not merely the accumulation of power, poisons the well of any legitimate discussion.
.....those that're "concerned" about ma fre spech are rarely actually concerned with it and are more concerned with defending prejudice. Hence the reason they're always SO "concerned" about hate speech laws, which would totes lead to a total totalitarian US instead of it being yet another thing our culture should've adopted from the Dutch years ago.

The fear mongering about college safe spaces from the right the past few years has been something alright... not only is it not a big deal, it's really not prevalent at all and they never ever go after the people actually doing the harassment hmm. It's just another talking point in the crusade against education.

And yes I know what meeting you're talking about and it was a load of horseshit since it included intellectual heavyweights like Ben Shapiro.

And it's all been aided by what I'm gonna call negative peace liberals and left wingers, many of whom are journos who love to churn out "The Problem With the Left" articles because that shit has become a cottage industry

PixelatedBookake

Safe spaces seem to only be brought up by dusty old folks who want things to be like how it was "back in the day" growing up. Other than that, I don't ever hear the term. Do they just want something to complain about towards millenials? 🤔

The Kree

Banned
Are people against safe spaces ever going to target country clubs? Trump literally has gone to a safe space...every other week at maralago.

Minorities needing a reprieve from racism and homophobia are perfectly reasonable accommodations. If you're someone who thinks they should have to debate their humanity at all hours on a college campus, that's why they need a space away, a club, a minority rights group, those are what safe spaces are.

This whole backlash from comedians, Jerry Seinfeld, for example, is one of entitlement. As a comedian, you don't have the right to laughter and applause. If you are going to a certain venue and jokes aren't getting a welcome reception, you can't blame the audience here. You don't have to alter your material, but you can't complain when people don't like it. It's whining.

There were a lot of comedians that got their start at the legendary Apollo Theater, and got booed, a few times. They didn't blame the audience, they adapted and grew and were better received. I feel like comedians complaining when their jokes don't hit, need to go back to the Apollo for an education.

Allowing the establishment of safe spaces is akin to ceding territory to certain kinds of people - people who are not used to being told "you can't go here, you can't do this, you can't say that."

The kinds of people who are used to being told those things, they get it.

Ozigizo

Also, fuck Adam Carolla. When white people complain about freeze peach, it's usually so they can say racist shit and not have to deal with the consequences.

DonShula

I personally believe that there isn't anything "off limits" specifically with comedians. I think the mistake made often is ascribing a joke to be the opinion of the performer delivering it. You can think something is funny without believing it true or accurate.

This is my take as well. Being able to recognize your own faults, hypocrisies, etc. is important, and laughing about them helps. When you take something off the table, you limit your opportunities for personal growth.

Having said that, there are comedians who've made themselves famous by overreacting to all sorts of topics. And really the overreaction is subjective... we don't all see things the same way and those who do may find a specific comedian more appealing. There are probably many comedians who see safe spaces as low hanging fruit, and I don't begrudge them for it. If they have nothing else to offer, they'll disappear soon enough.

Pau

Harassment is not intellectually stimulating. Being shut down is not intellectually stimulating. Having to hear why you and/or your family or any other group you identity with are inferior human beings who deserve less rights is not intellectually stimulating.

Safe spaces are just spaces where people can hang out and discuss things without having to deal with that shit.

And I say that as someone who was harassed by a teacher in a supposedly safe space. Still don't see the problem with them.

Also, fuck Adam Carolla. When white people complain about freeze peach, it's usually so they can say racist shit and not have to deal with the consequences.

To be fair frozen peaches suck. I had a girlfriend who used to freeze peaches and grapes and eat them. I think it takes the flavor away and hurts my teeth.

Sianos

I think colleges should be the exact opposite of safe spaces, in the context of being challenged intellectually. Universities are exactly the place where I'd want intelligent, young minds to be challenged and to be forced to have sometimes heated debates about ideas that are different then their parent's ideas.

Logic should win out.

Sometimes, people might want to learn at college, instead of having to waste all their time defending their very existence to screaming hellfire preachers and dumbasses with a Liquid Snake level understanding of biology

Think of these places as a safe space away from bigoted fools where higher level thinking that might utilize concepts such as abstract thinking is the norm, in the same way that upper level math classes are a safe space as from people who don't know algebra. No offense to them, but there should be places free from 101 level questions sucking up all the oxygen.

There's a compelling argument to be made that the "two genders" folks are trying to turn the world into their safe space by erasing queer people - and the horrors of the world having nuance. Belligerence is often a defense mechanism, and I'd argue that social conservatism itself is often trying to create safe spaces for archaic ideas because cognitive dissonance is too painful to handle. Them harassing random people just for existing because they themselves can't handle the world doesn't make them stronger or somehow more intelligent than people looking to avoid their bile.

Engaging arguments of people who disagree with you is valuable - even the dumbasses. But there's a time and place for that, and sometimes real work needs to get done and coddling lazy people who ask the same questions over and over or are bad faith actors get in the way. Those people already have plenty of space catering to the lowest common denominator.

Harassment is not intellectually stimulating. Being shut down is not intellectually stimulating. Having to hear why you and/or your family or any other group you identity with are inferior human beings who deserve less rights is not intellectually stimulating.

I agree completely with harassment.

I'm conflicted on the rest. Should a college student have to learn to deal with someone that's trying to shut you down? That should be an opt-in choice. Should a college student have to come face-to-face with bigotry? I think college is the place to learn that maintaining a decent (not just pleasant) society requires action. It is the place to learn tactics and strategies for combating racism and oppression.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There are both comedians who trade on ugly, unfunny stereotypes and comedians who address controversial subjects and face undue criticism by people who don't even try to understand their material. But no one is entitled to laughs and you have to learn to read the room right -- many of the established comedians seem mad not because they are getting shit, but because the act that other people find funny isn't found funny in a different room. Oh well.

Adam Carolla is a conspicuously un-funny and lazy comedian and always has been. Even for a shock radio guy his material is dull. I have no sympathy for a cartoonish rich guy raising millions of dollars by telling his fans that he's oppressed because other people quite rightly recognize he's a blowhard. Hard to imagine being such a snowflake that you can't handle college students whining without having to beg for right-wing welfare from your fanbase. Oh boo hoo, it's hard to be me!

SummitAve

Banned
The only reason people even talk about safe spaces is because of the name and a misunderstanding of what they are. Like there is nothing interesting or profound about them. Using them as a framework for discussion, criticism, comedy, whatever is a joke itself.

You might as well be trying to have a serious discussion on how fidget spinners are limiting free thought.

As someone in college right now, I never got what this whole thing is about. It just seems like your average dipshit right-wing news talking point.
This. I just graduated from a fairly big university and I never heard a thing about safe spaces. Heated debates were abundant in my ethics, modern Israel, and environmental science classes.

Pau

I agree completely with harassment.

I'm conflicted on the rest. Should a college student have to learn to deal with someone that's trying to shut you down? That should be an opt-in choice. Should a college student have to come face-to-face with bigotry? I think college is the place to learn that maintaining a decent (not just pleasant) society requires action. It is the place to learn tactics and strategies for combating racism and oppression.
How do you choose to opt-in or opt-out besides choosing to go to a minority-serving college?

Using them as a framework for discussion, criticism, comedy, whatever is a joke itself.

You might as well be trying to have a serious discussion on how fidget spinners are limiting free thought.

I think it's an interesting to try different ways to organize the world. It allowed me to realize HOW much of a projection the criticism is coming from The_Donald. Their God-Emperor believes he is entitled to a safe space that encompasses the entire world, and they are more than happy to fight for that claim.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I tend to assume that LGBT people gathering in a private place every now and then doesn't hurt anyone.
I also tend to think that every now and then, not being made fun of or insulted for what you are isn't detrimental to your development, and that generally speaking, there aren't that many great lessons to be learned from having your basic humanity and rights called into question.

More than anything, I think there's more value in listening to different people's experiences than telling them how or what they should feel, because being quiet is better than being a know it all jerk who calls others weaklings.

Post of the thread.

I mean

George Carlin, who was a darling of many people on the left was explicitly against the idea of safe spaces and "political correctness" in comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhUivqzWv0

in terms of comedy

Now in terms of colleges and real life, the use of "political correctness" is generally an alt right term to be a bigot

but their is validness to the concept, even though many will simply dismiss it

Slavoj Zizek has talked about combating the idea of "safe spaces" and PC as well

The right-wing propaganda machine at work.

They want to demonize colleges and young liberals and a lot of people are taking the bait.
Pretty much. Colleges are where your children are indoctrinated into the "liberal agenda" and those safe spaces are part of that

That's how they spin it

How do you choose to opt-in or opt-out besides choosing to go to a minority-serving college?

Opting in to facing being shut down might be to organize a protest or take a class on protest movements that includes "sparring."

Opting out of facing bigotry would be choosing a college that has a student agreement section in their application that states as much.

I wonder how many who are against the idea of "safe spaces" have actually been to one versus just basing their assumptions on news stories

Top Bottom