• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Kart Pics and News

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow. This is looking to be the dullest entry yet! Only 16 tracks too? It's like Nintendo wants me to hate this series.

So when's that Wipeout HD game arriving?

meppi

April 25th? Holy shit! :)

Wasn't expecting it that early.

The only thing I'm hoping for, besides the game being as good as the DS one is that Block Fort will be part of the battle mode and will have online play.
Already have 2 friends ready to waste our spare time for the next couple of years if that turns out to be the case.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mac the KNife said:
There's something weird about Mario and crew riding motorcycles. Seems like more of a Sonic thing or something.

Get with the times. Sonic and crew ride hoverboards. So hi-technical...

Chittagong said:
wow Mode 7 graphics

Well it was actually the mode 7 in the snes version that made it a very good multiplayer game. The formula its actually very simple to replicate, dont know why they dont do it, first they have to try to replicate the "physics" the original shells had, specially the red ones, they had to make curves like the racers had, that why its was so much fun, and the arenas being in mode 7 actually make the whole thing because you could always see where your opponent was.....there was only one multiplay stage in DD that came close to replicate this, it was the cake arena.....i only played in that stage most of the time.....

meppi

Brandon F said:
Wow. This is looking to be the dullest entry yet! Only 16 tracks too? It's like Nintendo wants me to hate this series.

What? It has 16 new courses and 16 classic ones.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Brandon F said:

32 tracks. Nice reading there

Jammy

Banned
Brandon F said:

*sigh* Do people not read? There's 16 old and 16 new. A handful of cups/tracks were already revealed, none of which included a Bowser's Castle or Rainbow Road. Thus, there's 32 total.

Yuck. Obviously I can't speak for the gameplay, but the graphics look like a first-gen Dreamcast game with a lightbloom shader thrown in. I've seen cleaner textures in DS games.

w2j8r5.jpg

Euugh. To look at games like Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess... and then to look at this? Are they just re-using the Double Dash engine without bothering to update anything? Double Dash was a pretty ugly game, too.

ksamedi

Brandon F said:

I think its 16 old and 16 new. And I can't really see how this looks like the dullest entry in the series. It has 12 player online, Motorcycles to ride, a trick system and a steering wheel to play it with. How can this be the dullest entry.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Brandon F said:

Not soon enough.

This one looks kind of bland, to be honest. Or maybe like uncreative? Or something?

fernoca

Oh look..another Mario Kart thread..with the same people talking about the same stuff..
"Oh the visuals"
"Oh Mario Kart is dead"
"Not feeling it"
"Oh, I cut myself at night"

Boo-freaking-hoo.

Can't wait.. :)
The fact that is basically the DS game but with added vehicles and more characters and more places and more..more..more..is enough to me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sega1991 said:
Yuck. Obviously I can't speak for the gameplay, but the graphics look like a first-gen Dreamcast game with a lightbloom shader thrown in. I've seen cleaner textures in DS games.

w2j8r5.jpg

Euugh. To look at games like Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess... and then to look at this? Are they just re-using the Double Dash engine without bothering to update anything? Double Dash was a pretty ugly game, too.

wow :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
16 old and 16 new? Ok, that still sucks. Gee I can't wait to play Chocolate fucking Mountain again! After the awful selection they recycled in MKDS, I'm not expecting much from the 'choice favorites' in this.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
fernoca said:
Oh look..another Mario Kart thread..with the same people talking about the same stuff..
"Oh the visuals"
"Oh Mario Kart is dead"
"Not feeling it"
"Oh, I cut myself at night"

Boo-freaking-hoo.

Can't wait.. :)
The fact that is basically the DS game but with added vehicles and more characters and more places and more..more..more..is enough to me.

Well said. This game is all but guaranteed to be greatness.

ksamedi

Tron 2.0 said:
Never once have I played Mario Kart and thought to myself "Sure wish I could do tricks!"

Well the job of a game designer is to surprise you. So if you expected every aspect of the game to be in there he probably wouldn't have done a good job.

Tron 2.0

Any word on online battle mode?

Racing is fine and all, but online battle mode with the N64 Block Fort would sell this for me.

If they include DD's shitty Block Fort I will have to punch someone in the underwear.

Enkidu

To me this game looks pretty much exactly like DD. Is it just me having a bad memory or are the graphics actually worse? Because the reactions here certainly seem to suggest that it looks way worse than DD did.

Spike

solid2snake said:
but it has the geo-mod, or has Mario Kart also the geo-mod? :lol

But the other systems are so much more powerful, geo-mod or no, the graphics should be much, much better than anything on the Wii, no?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:
Well the job of a game designer is to surprise you. So if you expected every aspect of the game to be in there he probably wouldn't have done a good job.

There is a difference between genuine surprises and unnecessary additions

Spike said:
But the other systems are so much more powerful, geo-mod or no, the graphics should be much, much better than anything on the Wii, no?

si senior. both games look like shit, i'll give you that.

It looks and sounds like it will be fun. I really don't like the graphics however. I was hoping the new tracks would look a bit better.

Spike

I think that MK:Wii will be delayed for extra polish. It looks alright, but after SMG and SSBB, I just don't see Nintendo releasing if it isn't up to snuff.

soco

wow so close to smash brothers? i know it's almost a different audience, but there's a lot of overlap between the two from what i've seen. didn't expect it until way later this year.

Jammy

Banned
Brandon F said:
16 old and 16 new? Ok, that still sucks. Gee I can't wait to play Chocolate fucking Mountain again! After the awful selection they recycled in MKDS, I'm not expecting much from the 'choice favorites' in this.

How does that still suck? You do know that every Mario Kart game outside the DS game only had 16 tracks, right? 16 brand new and 16 remade ones is a great mix now. There's still a few levels that I'd love to see be in this game.

And keep that poor-man's F-Zero shit out of this thread, plz. kthx

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wonder if Nintendo will have this playable at GDC on Wednesday..

fernoca

Enkidu said:
To me this game looks pretty much exactly like DD. Is it just me having a bad memory or are the graphics actually worse? Because the reactions here certainly seem to suggest that it looks way worse than DD did.
Well, don't use GAF as a barometer..
Because in the end, someone will probably make a thread 5-10 years from now, talking about how Mario Kart Wii was so awesome and a beautiful looking game and the best entry in the series...and the better looking one ever..

ksamedi

Anasui Kishibe said:
years after Sunshine people STILL judge a Nintendo title's visual quality from some shitty pics

jesus, guys, you never learn

Seriously, I wonder why people still comment on pics while there are countless upon countless examples of games that looked ugly on the screens but looked awesome in motion.

Nintaiyo

I wish they would've revamped the engine, but this game looks just like MK:DD. Not too excited for this one. It doesn't seem like they're putting much effort into it besides the online play.

Scribble

I think that, if I'm perfectly honest, I'm not excited about this installment because it seems rather...barebones compared to Brawl. If Mario Kart Wii had:

- Sandbox party mode (ala Kirby's Air Ride)
- Stage Builder
- Story mode (ala Diddy Kong Racing)
- Characters from the early Mario/Wario/DK games, such as Dixie, Captain Syrup, Tatanga, Koopalings, Fawful, Geno etc. and not flipping baby Peach
- Choice between double and single karts

I'd be more excited.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Aeris130 said:
I'm not feeling anything from this. MK needs to pull a SFIV and go back to its roots just a little.

They did, it was called Mario Kart DS.

Still my most played DS game....ever.

Top Bottom