• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are GAF's Top 5 Android Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tune-in radio: one of my favorite apps, being able to listen to radio stations from all over the world is great
Plume: best twitter app on android period.
Amazon kindle: my reading books app of choice
Pulse: awesome app, lets me glance over a bunch of news in a quick way
Andchat: best irc client on android

Chorazin

Threi said:
anyone tried the "GO" stuff? Not just GO launcher but GO Keyboard and GO SMS.

I use all the GO Apps except for Keyboard, and they're all great, and you sure can't beat the price!

SUPREME1

Banned
Endomondo
Google+
Navigation (Google)
Dolphin Browser (Firefox right behind it)
Amazon MP3 (cloud streaming)

Edit:

Good (it's technically the app I used the most, but it's for work email, so whatever)

From what I can remember when I had a Droid (I want to play too!)

- iSyncr Wifi (sync iTunes via wifi)
- Chrome to Phone (used it endlessly)
- Catch Notes (cloud note app)
- Awesome Drop (drag and drop a desktop file to phone over 3g or wifi)
- FeedR (RSS feeds)

I also really liked Screenfilter which let you make the backlight super super low (good for movie theatres) and Status Notes (pin a reminder to the notification bar).

I realize that most of my favorite Android apps are basically function plugins rather than apps you open to play around in and do shit. I miss Android sometimes -_-

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Threi said:

Go keyboard I didnt really like. Go sms was pretty good when I used it.

Threi

notag
yeah right now im trying to figure whether i like go keyboard or touchpal keyboard more. Both are free, and both have the feature i really like (an extra layout with directional keys + cut/copy/paste/select all controls)

What about dialers? I figure there's no use for custom dialers on Gingerbread, but im still on Eclair. Currently i find TouchPal Dialer the quickest, so i use that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Threi said:
yeah right now im trying to figure whether i like go keyboard or touchpal keyboard more. Both are free, and both have the feature i really like (an extra layout with directional keys + cut/copy/paste/select all controls)

What about dialers? I figure there's no use for custom dialers on Gingerbread, but im still on Eclair. Currently i find TouchPal Dialer the quickest, so i use that.

I prefer smart keyboard, like speeding. Also, if you are still using the stock calendar, Go calendar is pretty good. Or check out Jorte, which im currently using.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Threi said:
I used to use Handcent but checked out Go SMS and prefer GO. It's a lot more customizable and looks nicer. Other than that, they're similar.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Kind of funny, aside from the notifications bar, I don't think I use the base apps that came with the phone for anything.

Ocho

I have two weeks with my Android, but here goes my list:

gReader Pro - Google Reader client. Liked the trial, bought the next day. A lot better than Google's own client.
PocketCast - Like the interface. It's crashing lately, but still functional.
Dolphin Browser HD - Liked it the most.
Spotify - music!
Whatsapp/kik messenger - Money savers, sms replacement clients.

And social apps we all know: twitter, Facebook, foursquare, etc.

Bonus kind-of-an-app: SwiftKey Pro. Tried the trial, bought 10 minutes later. Keyboard replacement that predicts my thoughts, seriously.

Anyone know of a decent language translation app with offline functionality? Preferable with the option to install only select languages, as I don't have all that much space to play with.

Google Translate is great and all, but it's somewhat fatally flawed for people going abroad as it requires a data connection.

1. Google Music - Still buggy and lacks features from other players, but streaming your own music without ads and without having your own computer turned on is a plus. My most used app.

2. Google Maps Navigation - GPS navigator with text2voice. Enough said.

3. Opera Mobile - Way better browser than the bare-bones default app.

4. Volume Control+ - TPU cases that cover volume buttons make them hard to press. This makes controlling volume in all aspects of your phone easy.

5. Quick Boot (root) - For someone who frequently flashes roms/kernals/etc, this app is a must have. I also suffer from the dreaded LOS issue for Epic 4G Touch owners, so I need a fast way to reboot.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Launcher Pro was great until he stopped updating it and promised a re-write that will never happen.

My favorite 5? In no order

GoSMS
Beautiful Widgets
Google Listen (for podcasts)
Chrome to Phone (I use this so much to transfer web pages and image to my phone).
Springpad ("notes" app that is on iOS and the Chrome web store as well and you can make regular notes, or use templates for recipes, shopping lists, etc. Use it on my Droid X, iPad 2, and PC at work all the time.)

These are all my "practical, use every day" 5 favorite.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Everyone should grab 'read it later' off amazon store today. Seems like a great app.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
1. Splashtop - Being able to work on my desktop through my PC is pretty awesome
2. Springpad - Very useful notes tool. I use it mainly to create shopping lists
3. Dolphin HD - Great browser, though it is starting to get bloated
4. Chrome to Phone
5. Maps

Futureman

-Google Maps/Navigation: Might get me to stay with Android when my contract is up next year. So GOOD.

-U.S. Newspapers: I read my local paper's site and the NYTimes thru this app. As far as I can tell, using this gets around the NYTime's 20 article per month limit.

-Endomondo: Awesome workout app. Records your path with GPS. Shows how many burgers you've burned hehe.

-Google Music: It can act janky at times, but I guess that's cause it's still in Beta. Supposedely runs better on 2.3+ phones (I'm on Froyo). Worth it though as it's AWESOME streaming your stuff from the cloud. I have invites if anyone wants in.

-Launcher Pro: Not an app, but deserves a mention. Might be better launchers out there, but I've used this since the day I got my phone and love the simple look you can give the phone as opposed to being stuck with Moto Blur.

Futureman

Moundir&Tony>you said:
ctrl+f: "wavesecure"

No results found.

You guys disappoint me.

I'm not an important business man, so honestly, if someone got a hold of my phone there isn't much they could do.

and Android is famous for backing all your shit up in the cloud. Why would I want McAfee doing that?

Maps/Navigation - It just keeps getting better and better. Absolutely no need for a sat nav anymore. Being able to download parts of the map is a Godsend for people in area's with shit reception.

Facebook - Although I don't like it when it runs in the background even after closing, it's handy when on the move.

Timeriffic - Great app that will turn on/off parts of your phone at any time you want, saving battery. Essential as far as I'm concerned.

Widget Locker - The GS2 lock screen is pretty shit, so I've swapped it for a custom one, and put a nice clock on the lock screen as well.

Movies - Nice app, where you can view reviews and trailers on the go.

Doopliss

FBReader - E-reader app, looks horrible when you first load it up but it's very customisable.
ColorDict - Free offline dictionary
Simon Tatham's Puzzles - A bunch of logic puzzle games, sudoku and that kind of thing. My favourite is 'Bridges'.
MX Video Player - Has hardware acceleration, works great on my SGS2. I think the best video player depends on your device, DicePlayer seems the smoothest on my dad's Galaxy Tab 10.1
BeyondPod - Podcast player and manager. With the paid version you can schedule automatic downloads for your feeds.

Bonus: Screen Tuning dev channel - fixes the hideous image sharpness and (to some extent) colour banding on the stock Samsung ROM for SGS2. Requires root.

Menelaus

Banned
Go Launcher: A very solid competitor to Launcher Pro Plus (which I had). Doesn't FC as much as LP+ did, though.
ScoreMobile: Very lightweight, much faster to use than ESPN Scorecenter
UberMusic: Made by Fede (Launcher Pro), a skinnable, functional, pretty music player.
Netflix: Pretty self explanitory
Cubes Free: Has made me a bunch of money, so my opinion of it is pretty high =)

Doopliss

radioheadrule83 said:
Bummer doesn't work in the UK because there's no access to the amazon app store... I'd be down for this
It doesn't actually check your location. You just need a valid US delivery address on your Amazon.com account and a valid US payment card. This is US citizens only of course.

SimleuqiR

Google Reader - Can't live without it
Gmail App - Can't live without it
Google Music Beta App - (the one leaked from the Nexus Prime) - jamesfransooogoood.gif
Google+ App - (the one leaked from the Nexus Prime) - So pretty, fast and useful.
TouchPad - I can control my Mac Mini from my phone or tablet. Also works on Windows.
XBMC Remote - (Official Remote app)
WhatsApp - Because is a good app that I use on an hourly basis.

These are more than five, but I use these the most.

LauncherPro - Minimalist and non-memory hogging launcher. Some handy widgets too. (Where's the fucking rewrite?)
Beautiful Widgets - Nice clock options and some handy toggles/widgets as well
Handcent - Nice SMS program with good interface (even if it is an iPhone rip-off!)
NoLED - No notification light on my Galaxy S, but NoLED provides an even better alternative. God bless AMOLED screens.
Opera Mobile - When the stock browser fails on me, I go to Opera (in fact its the only way I can post on Gaf mobile site on my phone)

SimleuqiR

sionyboy said:
LauncherPro - Minimalist and non-memory hogging launcher. Some handy widgets too. (Where's the fucking rewrite?)
Beautiful Widgets - Nice clock options and some handy toggles/widgets as well
Handcent - Nice SMS program with good interface (even if it is an iPhone rip-off!)
NoLED - No notification light on my Galaxy S, but NoLED provides an even better alternative. God bless AMOLED screens.
Opera Mobile - When the stock browser fails on me, I go to Opera (in fact its the only way I can post on Gaf mobile site on my phone)

I think it's a pipe dream.

Viber: Free internet phone calls and text messages, send and receive photos.

xScope Pro: My favourite web browser.

Golfshot GPS: For scoring my golf rounds.

CardioTrainer: My sports tracker of choice.

Lightning Bug: I suffer from tinnitus and this sleep clock app can play all sorts of ambient/white noise loops that make me fall asleep a bit easier.

DMeisterJ

Banned
ADW Launcher Ex - idk how people can use LP. No updates and too many FCs.
Thumb Keyboard 4 - WP7 skin
TweetCaster Pro
Google Music
Amazon Appstore

Fireblend

Banned
Why use launcher pro when you can use Go Launcher Ex?

Seriously tho, Go Launcher's app gallery is so infinitely better from any other. Having folders right there is a blessing.

Go Launcher Ex: Best transitions, app gallery, theme support and look overall.
Go SMS: Pop up notifications are a blessing, great design and theme support too.
Seesmic: For social network management.
Dolphin HD: Best web browser, by far. Will have to see how Chrome is on ICS, but so far this one blows all the others out of the water.
Baconreader: For my reddit-browsing needs.

MNC

I'm looking for a sleek weather, clock or battery widget. Not simiclock, circle battery or text2batt. (I actually love beautiful widgets weather, but I refuse to pay just for the weather widgets)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
MNC said:
I'm looking for a sleek weather, clock or battery widget. Not simiclock, circle battery or text2batt. (I actually love beautiful widgets weather, but I refuse to pay just for the weather widgets)

Glass Widgets is what Im using now, its news, rss, weather and time, though I only use the first pane with the weather and time. No batt sadly.

MNC

Enduin said:
Glass Widgets is what Im using now, its news, rss, weather and time, though I only use the first pane with the weather and time. No batt sadly.
Oh not really looking for an all in one widget, just a mix of several widgets is nice. Will look into this.

edit: Woah what free huh?

Zeam Launcher - lightweight launcher, fastest one I've used. Great on battery life too. Definitely prefer it over LauncherPro and ADW
Twicca - my favorite Twitter client. Clean interface, no ads (a must for me).
Dolphin HD - best browser around
Pulse - newsreader. I've been meaning to try out Feedly as well for comparisons sake
Doggcatcher - by far the best podcast manager/downloader for Android.

Alx

I'm a recent android user, but for now I have enjoyed those apps :

Tasker
being able to trigger different settings based on your location is almost magic.

Labyrinth
I loved that wooden toy, being able to play it with crazy levels and with even more precision than the real thing is great.

My Movies
Great app for referencing your whole DVD collection. I loved the feature of scanning all your barcodes and letting the software get all the DVD info from the database.

NetCounter
since I don't have unlimited data, it's great to track how much down/upload went through your connection, and how much through wifi.

Ocho

Doopliss said:
It doesn't actually check your location. You just need a valid US delivery address on your Amazon.com account and a valid US payment card. This is US citizens only of course.

I was excited about this, but it didn't work (using a valid us address and us credit card).

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to make the US credit card as my 1-click option. Thanks a bunch!

ochobit said:
I was excited about this, but it didn't work (using a valid us address and us credit card).

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to make the US credit card as my 1-click option. Thanks a bunch!

Will something like Entropay work dya think? I might try this when I get home later

Has anyone tried Aurasma?

It's a kind of custom AR application... you take a photo of an image that you'd like to trigger some AR -- for example: the front of a building, the masthead of a magazine or website, a particular image of a game character, a symbol or one of your 3DS cards -- *then* you upload an associated image or video... when somebody looks at that same thing they can see what you uploaded. Obviously they need a copy of what you looked at and the app to view it, but its quite a cool idea.

Wetherspoons (a chain of gastro-pubs in the UK) use it to give promotional discounts to students. They leave symbols on their beer mats and things like that, students can scan them with this app and get a discount code.

It might be a neat way to share things on GAF... imagine posting an image on GAF that triggered a video when you looked at your computer screen through your phone. Again, for example: someone posts the close up of Reggie with "My body is ready" - you point your phone at it and the "My Body is Ready" music video is overlayed in 3D. Pointless example I know.. but it illustrates what you can do. AR easter eggs in threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom