• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are GAF's Top 5 Android Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocho

radioheadrule83 said:
Will something like Entropay work dya think? I might try this when I get home later
No idea, really. Please share your findings for other members in need.

I'm not going to name any Google Apps, it would be unfair and they come with many phones or are highly recommended anyway.

AndChat - The best IRC client on any phone anywhere. well, except for that phone that runs straight Linux and can use XChat and Pidgin...
Delayed Lock - makes it so the lock screen only shows up after X amount of time instead of when the screen turns off
SwiftKey X - the best Android keyboard! better than Swype. and anything else.
Tango - Cross platform Video Chat that just works. so awesome!
TuneIn Radio Pro - So awesome for when i want to listen to various radio stations that also have a web stream. like Hot'97 in NYC baby!

Pulse
News/RSS feed reader with Google Reader support, and if you sign up on their site you can have Instapaper-like functionality (save any page with clean formatting, read anywhere).

KeePassDroid
Password manager on the go, compatibility with KeePass databases created with the desktop app. Works great combined with Dropbox.

SMS Backup+
Backs up your SMS/MMS messages to any Gmail account. Creates a separate tag, doesn't just dump them in your indox. You can also restore messages back.

Screen Filter
AMOLED screens tend to be really bright and a pain on the eyes in the middle of the night, even on the lowest brightness setting. This acts as a screen dimmer and supposedly helps with battery life, too.

gStrings Tuner
A very sensitive guitar tuner. Works perfectly, just as good or better than a standalone electric tuner (at least better than the cheapo one I used before).

[BONUS] twicca
My Twitter client of choice. Dark themed, fast, minimalist, and fully featured.

MNC

radioheadrule83 said:
Has anyone tried Aurasma?

It's a kind of custom AR application... you take a photo of an image that you'd like to trigger some AR -- for example: the front of a building, the masthead of a magazine or website, a particular image of a game character, a symbol or one of your 3DS cards -- *then* you upload an associated image or video... when somebody looks at that same thing they can see what you uploaded. Obviously they need a copy of what you looked at and the app to view it, but its quite a cool idea.

Wetherspoons (a chain of gastro-pubs in the UK) use it to give promotional discounts to students. They leave symbols on their beer mats and things like that, students can scan them with this app and get a discount code.

It might be a neat way to share things on GAF... imagine posting an image on GAF that triggered a video when you looked at your computer screen through your phone. Again, for example: someone posts the close up of Reggie with "My body is ready" - you point your phone at it and the "My Body is Ready" music video is overlayed in 3D. Pointless example I know.. but it illustrates what you can do. AR easter eggs in threads!
Sounds amazing. Technically you'd be able to store it in an external database so you won't have to keep 'sharing' stuff, right?

Chopper

Can someone please explain LauncherPro to me? I mean, I like the idea of customizing my phone as much as possible, but it looks complicated. Do I need to be rooted?

artist

Banned
Chopper said:
Can someone please explain LauncherPro to me? I mean, I like the idea of customizing my phone as much as possible, but it looks complicated. Do I need to be rooted?
I just installed LauncherPro, you dont need to root your phone.

rpmurphy

These are the ones I use most:
Dolphin Browser HD (although I did prefer the normal Dolphin Browser, but they stopped supporting it)
ASTRO File Manager - does most of what I want, except file compression, which I leave to AndroZip.
Dropbox
Winamp - easy to use and syncing over LAN is nice.
YouTube

Valygar

Anki memorization tool, using it for japanese but probably will use it for more things. Amazing.
Dolphin browser lite Good browser for my cheap ZTE Blade.
MyMusic Free audio player, very simple, with support to put entire folders in the playlist.
Google + ...
Swype I love it. I write with it almost as fast as with a keyboard.

And now some games:

[Osu!Droid It's a Ouendan clone, you can download the music within the app. (It's a music game, different to Guitar hero). It's amazing for our tactile smartphones. It blews my mind that it has so few downloads.
HellDefence beta, it's a game similar to plant vs zombies, but here it is farm vs fire. Quite hard and quite awesome, even if the graphics are a bit weird.

Murkas

1) Whatsapp - chat app. Hardly text and it's great to send pics with.
2) GoLauncher and most of it's GOapps - switching to this from Launcher Pro was a very good a choice, much faster and smoother.
3) Sickipedia - Sickipedia's website in app form
4) Alarmdroid - Fast and easy alarm app, having it constantly ring until ring until you solve the maths question is genius, actually gets me up.
5) "Sys Config" - uh, changes your phone settings and stuff....
6) Swype - Much faster input method.

Fatalah

www.secondapps.com/neogaf
It's not a downloadable application, but it deserves to be on everyone's list.

ScoreMobile
Score updates can be pushed to your phone! For example, with baseball, you can be notified every time there's a lead change, or when the bases are loaded! Just about every sport in the world is available.

Reddit is fun.
Does a fine job satisfying your Reddit fix.

Winamp
There are a number of music players on the market, but it's great seeing the Winamp logo on my phone.

MortPlayer
Highly intuitive audiobook app.

Tunein Radio
This app was fantastic until CBS pulled their stations. CBS stations are only available on the Radio.com app.

Google Maps
Android's killer app. Turn by turn navigation, Streetview, Latitude, seamless integration with Google Places and other travel apps.

Google Places, Yelp, TripAdvisor
Use all three when on vacation, or when just looking for something fun to do!

Just got my first Android phone yesterday (Samsung Galaxy Ace). Pretty snazzy.

Gonna let it settle in for a week while I get used to it (it's so different to any of the phones I've had before) but I intend to customise the shit out of it at some point.

I've been looking into these apps, and this thread has been pretty helpful. One thing I can't seem to find though is a half decent XBox Live app. Anyone got any suggestions. Would like to be able to do pretty much the same kind of thing as the website (message, compare games with friends, etc). Marketplace access would be nice as usually I'm at work when stuff is uploaded and I'd love to be able to queue items up for when I got home.

It's the one thing I use to communicate with people that's missing from my phone.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I Like using
Evernote Love the ability to take photos in the app then upload to save for later, plus any words in the pics you can search for.
Dolphin Browser HD nice mobile browser, love the multitab function, works well with flash sites can watch TV catch-up via the browser
Polaris Office to read any documents on the go. (email attachments from my son's school are sent in word format)
SBM Drawing application pretty powerful. use it to doodle and my son loves it.
Cracked lite Read Cracked on the go? , yes please!

mentions must go to
Facebook
Amazon
Accuweather
go old calculator

Al-ibn Kermit

I guess my favorite apps in no particular order are:

Dolphin HD
Amazon app store
Google docs
Easytether
Google maps
Pandora
SwiftKey X
Wikimobile
Where's my droid

This isn't including games or the list would be a lot longer. I only got my first Android phone like a week ago so I'm still finding out what's good.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This isn't including games or the list would be a lot longer. I only got my first Android phone like a week ago so I'm still finding out what's good.

games Dead Space, Shadowgun , Tintin HD , Dungeon explorers 2 HD , Cordy should all be worth checking out

drspeedy

Repligo - Best PDF reader, quite fast and allows bookmarks, form filling and annotating. Way better than the Adobe app.

+1 for Widget Locker. Excellent little lock app, lots of ways to customize.

Catch Notes: Just a note app, but very competent and saves to the cloud for easy retrieval.

Color Me: Fun for kids or just wasting time. Draw a picture, then color it in. Simple, awesome!

skyfire: Better browser. Runs faster than Dolphin on some versions of Android.

Angst

Some apps I haven't seen mentioned above:

Glympse let's you share your realtime location for a set duration, pretty cool. Market

MX Video Player plays most video codecs (xvid, divx etc). Market

SIMI Clock Widget Nice, non-intrusive and customizable widget with weather , battery and clock. Market

Chrome to Phone Lets you send URLs, phone numbers, addresses etc from Chrome on your PC. Needs a plugin in the browser to work. Market

Based on my own usage:

Launcher APK: I vastly prefer to Launcher Pro

K-9 Mail: SImple to set up email, works very well, free, no ads

Dolphin Browser: I like the extra functionality

CameraZoomFX: Replacement camera with simple yet flexible features

UberMusic/Google Music: A split here- if the music is on my phone, I use UberMusic as the interface is great. Google Music lets me at the cloud and about 12,000 tracks I have there.

Al-ibn Kermit

games Dead Space, Shadowgun , Tintin HD , Dungeon explorers 2 HD , Cordy should all be worth checking out
I need to start checking out the more serious games, mostly I played angry birds and solitaire but I got sentinel 3 and heavy gunner 3D in the 10 cent sale and they're damn good mobile games.

Mest30

Banned
1. US cop. Allows me to quickly look up case law and statutes when I need them quickly. Also great for bathroom reading.

2. Basketball shots 3d by creative mobile. Fun game that you can play one on one against anyone in the world. I've played over 6000 games. Challenge me. Name there is mest33.

3. Juice defender. Saves the battery and i heard its better than task killers. Any truth behind that?

4. The weather channel. I am obsessed with weather and check several times daily. This allows me to check quickly and as often as I like.

5. Tune in radio. I never thought this was a practical app, just a cool feature. Then i got stuck sitting on a prisoner for 8 hours at the hospital and boy this came in handy as there are no tvs in the er. I have also lost power during crucial sporting events and it saved my ass. It's not used often, but when used, Damn is it needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom