• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Shmups - 2013 Edition [Results]

Darius Gaiden has the same score as G-Darius and Darius Burst combined. All is right with the world.

Thanks for running this. It's not a major point, but Phantasmagoria of Flower View is Touhou 9 not 12. Similarly, TwinBee Yahho! =/= TwinBee.

cj_iwakura

Darius Gaiden has the same score as G-Darius and Darius Burst combined. All is right with the world.

Thanks for running this. It's not a major point, but Phantasmagoria of Flower View is Touhou 9 not 12. Similarly, TwinBee Yahho! =/= TwinBee.

Good to know, didn't know the difference.

cuilan

Mushi Futari is the perfect start for someone new to bullet hells. Menus are in English, and in Original mode (which is the only mode you should be playing at first) there are no game mechanics beyond shooting and bombing. Even the scoring takes exactly one sentence to explain: if you can, kill enemies with laser when the big counter is blue, and kill enemies with spread shot when the counter is green. The amount of gems flowing onto the screen tells you when you are doing it right and when not.

I'd say the perfect places to start would be Deathsmiles, Deathsmiles 2, and Trouble Witches Neo. Futari isn't a bad choice though if we're talking about the 360 port, which has Novice modes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I should just bite the bullet and get Mushihimesama Futari. Been holding off, but I never know why.

japtor

I'd say the perfect places to start would be Deathsmiles, Deathsmiles 2, and Trouble Witches Neo. Futari isn't a bad choice though if we're talking about the 360 port, which has Novice modes.
SDOJ's Novice is pretty nice, and the gameplay and scoring is relatively basic to most newer games. And the chaining is forgiving! They basically fixed the only thing I really hated about DDP there.

Top Bottom