• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think English voice acting harm Japanese RPG?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Bad English voice acting has definitely hurt JRPGs.

Every JRPG should have the option to play in Japanese with English subtitles, and/or to turn off voices completely.

These days, I'm mostly going with the latter option. Voices are fine during cutscenes, but I'm tired of hearing them during battle and every random conversation with NPCs.

I'd like to know the reasons why would one never want to play Japanese developed games.

Prejudice, they obviously think they're all RPG's or have loli girls in them.

I personally don't really care whether it's Japanese or English VO. I'd love to have the option to switch VO whenever I want though in case the main character has a grating voice. Xenoblade did it best.

Dark_castle

Out of curiosity, do you understand Japanese, and if so, how well?

Admittedly no. But since I ain't Japanese, I don't really care if the voice actor did a good job or not according to the Japanese savvy folks personally.

I don't mean Japanese VA is always superior to English VA of course, but they definitely "sound" more right to my ears than English acting of translated Japanese scripts that has a tendency to feel awkward.

Typo on OP by the way. I meant Agnes, not Edea. >.<

GHG

Gold Member
No voices & just text is best. Let your imagination do some work.

I'm playing through FF IX at the moment on the Vita and I actually didn't realise how much I missed this format.

dhlt25

It really depends on the games. Most of the time i prefer japanese since the voice acting are generally better. They make the childish character in rpg a little more tolerable and usually more in sync with mouth movement.

Depending on the dub, yes. English voice actors trying to sound like Japanese voice actors needs to go away.

If you insist on re-dubbing a game, please don't make the English VA's try to do cutesy Japanese voices. It just doesn't work in English, and it makes me want to throw the disc out the window.

RpgN

The bad English VA ruins games of course, but not all Japanese VA are good. Many can be generic and cringe worthy. I don't think that has to do with English VA not being a good fit, the bad ones were just not done well. Luckily we've had many recent examples with better VA, it makes a world of difference.

As for preference, it doesn't really matter. I'll compare the two and decide which one is better and more fitting. This is different with every game.

I quite enjoyed the english VO for Reyn in Xenoblade. I tried it with the Japanese VO and it just wasn't the same.

I don't mind a bad dub either. The original Resident Evil for PSX fun to play because the dub is so bad it's awesome. I didn't like REmake because it wasn't corny, took the flavour out of it.

Hyunashi

I like to understand what characters say and some Japanese voices are unbearable(like some lively girls that scream too much), but i would not say no to a Japanese game without English voices(Italian texts are already out of question, italian voices in a not too big Japanese game is just a fool's dream... :( ).

I think that's also to do with culture and Japanese society. While it may not totally be the case, my friend who is really into Japan and its culture told me that guys there preferred girls that act cutesy or have a high voice. I would think most Japanese games are made to appeal to the primary Japanese audience first and foremost.

GamerJM

Banned
I'd like to know the reasons why would one never want to play Japanese developed games.

Some of those people probably only go to GameFAQs (where that poll was taken) for games like League of Legends, Dota, or Skyrim and that's all they really play. And there's probably a very small percentage of people that vote for the last option every single time, since there have been other polls taken on the site where it asks how you vote in the poll and sometimes people give that as an answer. Thought I'm sure there are also people who interpret "Japanese" as "weeaboo JRPG/loli" game or maybe even just "import" game if they misread/misinterpreted the option.

MilkBeard

One thing that shocked me a while back, was the difference in voicing for InuYasha. I had seen a lot of the dubbed versions on cartoon network. A while back I started watching the series on netflix, which had the Japanese with subs and no English dub. There is a massive, massive difference between the voice actors that play the InuYasha character. In the Japanese version he sounds smarter, while the English voice actor, oppositely, sounds really dense. I don't speak Japanese, so I'm not 100% on the context, but after listening to a lot of Japanese voices in Anime and games I could tell that the intention for the character was a lot different than what ended up being represented in English. It completely changed my opinion of the series.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I'm not too keen on Japanese voice acting. Too high pitched for me.

While I prefer the Japanese voice acting in Tales of Symphonia, I must admit that I think that the English voice actors did a very good job.

Lloyd sounds really cute in English. And actually doesn't sound as cute, and has a deeper voice in Japanese. I pretty much always prefer the original Japanese voice acting, but after many times of playing Tales of Symphonia in English, I've gotten used to his voice in English. And I enjoy both.

I also think that Tara Strong did a very good job of Presea. And it feels kind of special as a fan of both Tales and My Little Pony that Tara Strong did both Presea and Twilight Sparkle. And even though I prefer the Japanese voice acting for Presea, I really enjoy the English voice acting of Presea.

In contrast, I really don't like the English voice acting of Anise Tatlin. And I much prefer her voice in Japanese. I rather like Anise, and it's sad that she has so many people that don't like her. :<

I also don't really like the English voice acting of the cast in Persona 4, though it seems like most people really really like it. Kanji and Naoto are both okay, but I really don't like the English voice acting of Chie and Yukiko.

As for Disgaea, I feel it just isn't Disgaea without hearing Prinnies say "dood". It's so much more endearing and interesting than what they say in Japanese. I also like Flonne's English voice acting, though not better than the Japanese voice acting. While I really prefer Etna's Japanese voice acting to the English voice acting.

Lloyd Irving's English voice acting is one of the closest I probably come to preferring the English voice acting.

Akira83

Banned
i personally think all dubs are terrible

give me the native dialogue and i will read subtitles

its not that hard, and makes it much more authentic

Harm? Not harm but some of it just falls flat and strips the dialogue down to the basics of story exposition with no colour or flavour.

The character archtypes don't always translate very well, and this goes for anime too, and the American accents really grate, not quite hitting the spot for the feel of a character.

Recently with No No Kuni I would switch back and forth between English and Japanese, as I liked most of the characters in Japanese, but thought it was genius to make Drippy and the fairies all Welsh. Like the text in the DS Dragon Quest games, the British colloqualisms gave the games more flavour and charm than just standard American-English. Given that most J-RPGs have a fantasy-medieval edge to them - that worked. I wouldn't say something futuristic would maybe work in the same way (though it might).

Maybe if they used more regional NA accents rather than just indistinguishable Californian(?) voice actors.

Baliis

God no, I can't stand having to read subtitles because I read it in my own voice and it's incredibly distracting to hear the non-English voice over that.

Shengar

Mrgrgr. Of all the characters to pick, you picked Edea Lee? I thought Cassandra Lee Morris did a bangin' job!
I love it when companies put in dual audio. I love embarking on a new playthrough using the other vocal track. Fire Emblem Awakening is one example of a game where some of the English voices can be similar, or more superior compared to the Japanese version. E.g Kyle Herbert's "Pick a god and pray!" line for Frederick, anyone?

FEA is a perfect example how dual audio did not hurt JRPG.

KORNdoggy

not really, i do think the lack of quality english voice actors hurts it even more though, but not as much as the piss poor melodramatic story telling and script writing.

Toxi

Banned
Did anyone not like the English voice acting in Demon's Souls? I personally couldn't imagine it without Garl Vinland or the Maiden in Black's voices. There's plenty of cheesy or over-the-top stuff like the Dregling Merchant or Satsuki, but even that never felt halfhearted to me.

Sinistral

I prefer native audio no matter the source. Watching Japanese dubs of American movies aren't that great either.

There are mannerism and inflections that are lost on just a Voice Over. Unless you're retooling the script, timing, and acting, then it just breaks for me. One of the biggest gripes for me is when they mess with the other Audio (SFX, Music) when they change the VO.

Dual Audio is of course the best option.

I want dual-audio options.

I preferred XII in English, but I preferred XIII in Japanese. So... depends.

You prefer Elizabethan english to nonsens english haha sure you like XIII more in japanese it make the story and character less stupid if you can't actually hear them. Everything sounds better in another language.

nerv

I tend to stick with the original audio for most of the media I consume, so video games are not exception to this.
Especially when budgets are tight with english localization they tend to cheap out on some aspects, while the VA community in Japan in is very developed in comparison to the US, especially for localizations on the US side.

On the other hand english localizations are nowhere near as bad as german ones so there is that.

MilkBeard

Oh yeah, by the way: It's hilarious that you chose to talk about Hunter X Hunter, because I'm watching the anime as we speak on Crunchyroll.

I'm not a fan of Japanese dubs at all. It always sounds too much like the lines are being forcefully shoved into my ears. The male VA are almost always the deepest voices you've ever heard and deliver every line like they're some epic Ronin, and the females for the most part sound like they're 4 1/2 years old, and always have the same bubblegum-pop cadence that makes them sound completely carefree, regardless of the events unfurling around them.

I don't expect this to be a popular opinion, but it's my personal opinion.

I don't think Japanese voices would alleviate this very much. I'm of the opinion that I can go without voice acting for the most part. Cutscene direction and writing usually aren't strong enough to carry voice overs to my innocent ears, regardless of what language it is in.

Other common issues I have with JRPG voice acting are:
  • using the same few voice actors over and over again from the same narrow pool.
  • overacted characters. This is the big one. This is usually written into the script and it's the prime example of why I often don't feel invested in important cutscenes. People scream and flip their shit at the drop of a hat.
  • people clearly "doing voices". This might be an odd complaint, because "doing voices" is what voice acting is pretty much all about, and I agree with that. When done correctly, I should just immediately associate a character with a voice and accept that this is what this person looks like. However this basic level of immersion is broken so often with child or monster-like characters. When I'm stuck thinking 'this is clearly a grown woman pretending to sound not a grown woman', you've messed up.
  • characters that repeat what others just said, but phrase it as a question. Those lines drive me up the wall, and the annoyance is amplified when spoken. It's patronising and makes me feel like the characters are "slow".
  • the timing between lines often contributes to it feeling stiff and unnatural.
  • characters who only change poses between spoken lines. This is something seemingly little that goes unnoticed for me when it's just written dialogue. When it's voiced, it is weirdly distracting and irritating.
With the exception of the seemingly shallow voice actor pool, all of these are still abundantly present in Japanese dubs. Preferably I'd just like a well-done localised dub, but since that turns out to be harder than expected, the ability to turn voices off is invaluable to me.

aravuus

I don't understand what's wrong with Japanese writing.

I think that Japanese writing is great. And yes, sometimes there are certain cliches that are overused. But that's also true of writing from other countries.
I remember watching an American made movie about Ore Ska Band. I felt it was very poorly written and relied on a lot of poor Hollywood cliches. I like Ore Ska Band, but I think it was written worse than most Japanese RPGs. Just the same, I don't think that Japanese RPGs would be better if they were written by non-Japanese people.

Clunky, too much "it's as if..", dialogue doesn't feel lifelike or natural, stuff like that. I like Japanese stories for the most part cause they tend to be way crazier than western ones, but I really just don't like Japanese writing. I've posted a lot about this in the VN thread already.

But yeah, cultural differences and all that. Maybe they writing would feel more natural if I could speak Japanese and/or had spent time in Japan.

Orayn

You haven't truly experienced Demon's Souls or Dark Souls until you've heard them in the original Japanese.

There is no Japanese audio track for any version of either game, which was a deliberate move on From Software's part to reinforce the Western fantasy feel.

There are two hardcore factions, those that hate subs, and those that hate dubs. Those sides will never reconcile ever.

As for everyone else? I think they only care about the quality. A good dub is usually a good thing. A bad dub is a terrible thing... but there is such a thing as terrible Japanese VA as well... but most people who are "pro sub" don't normally care because they can't speak Japanese so they can't even notice it. They'll swear up and down that the sub is better because reasons.

The one true answer though... the one everyone should always want in any foreign made medium is "both". The option to enable dubs or to keep the original Japanese voices are a must in today's game industry. There is never a reason for a game to exist as a dub but lacking an option for it's native language... Compression technology is too good, storage mediums too vast for this shit anymore.

Ferr986

Fake it? Fake what exactly? Isn't the whole point of them to fake whatever emotion they're supposed to be expressing in accordance with what dialogue was written? Isn't that the whole point of acting?

Sometimes they come as over-dramatized dubs for me, that was I meant. Maybe calling it "fake" was bad wording from my part.

Shengar

I don't think Japanese voices would alleviate this very much. I'm of the opinion that I can go without voice acting for the most part. Cutscene direction and writing usually aren't strong enough to carry voice overs to my innocent ears, regardless of what language it is in.

Other common issues I have with JRPG voice acting are:
  • using the same few voice actors over and over again from the same narrow pool.
  • overacted characters. This is the big one. This is usually written into the script and it's the prime example of why I often don't feel invested in important cutscenes. People scream and flip their shit at the drop of a hat.
  • people clearly "doing voices". This might be an odd complaint, because "doing voices" is what voice acting is pretty much all about, and I agree with that. When done correctly, I should just immediately associate a character with a voice and accept that this is what this person looks like. However this basic level of immersion is broken so often with child or monster-like characters. When I'm stuck thinking 'this is clearly a grown woman pretending to sound not a grown woman', you've messed up.
  • characters that repeat what others just said, but phrase it as a question. Those lines drive me up the wall, and the annoyance is amplified when spoken. It's patronising and makes me feel like the characters are "slow".
  • the timing between lines often contributes to it feeling stiff and unnatural.
  • characters who only change poses between spoken lines. This is something seemingly little that goes unnoticed for me when it's just dialogue. When it's voiced, it is weirdly distracting and irritating.
With the exception of the seemingly shallow voice actor pool, all of these are still abundantly present in Japanese dubs. Preferably I'd just like a well-done localised dub, but since that turns out to be harder than expected, the ability to turn voices off is invaluable to me.
Pretty good post. I know that Japanese dub have their own problem, but I don't know which and how since I don't understand the language. But I guess being speaking moonrunes and language which people don't understand make its sound better right?

English voice actors are quite capable of doing some nice work. the issue is when you have a bad director who wants them to emulate the Japanese voices (ala Vanille form FF13) instead of doing their own performance based off the original character notes like the Japanese voice actor did.

And seriously, go listen to Vanille's voice actor in interviews, her normal voice or something similar woudl have been perfect, and better meshed with Fang's.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not too keen on Japanese voice acting. Too high pitched for me.

See, I feel the same way about a lot of English dubs. Many of the characters, particularly males, have voices which are too high pitched, and don't fit the characters. The Japanese voices are lower, deeper, and sound cooler (especially the villains). And I'd rather have female characters talk in a higher pitch when excited, rather just screech and scream as they often do in western dubs.

Toxi

Banned
You haven't truly experienced Demon's Souls or Dark Souls until you've heard them in the original Japanese.

There is no Japanese audio track for any version of either game, which was a deliberate move on From Software's part to reinforce the Western fantasy feel.
Huh. Neat. I checked the list of voice actors, and only a few voiced multiple characters.

I should have realized Garl and Ostrava sounded similar.

demidar

I would love to know the logistics of a Japanese company writing dialogue exclusively in English.

I think voice acting hurt jrpg's period. When voice acting became common, the games took a dive in quality, imo.

This.

The voice actor can make or break a character for me. Vanille's actress was incredibly irritating and turned me off her character instantly.

Whereas a similarly childish-acting character like Yuffie bothered me less as her voice and mannerisms were all in my head

Plus, I despise waiting for characters to finish talking, I'd rather read through what they have to say at my own pace.

Hyunashi

English voice actors are quite capable of doing some nice work. the issue is when you have a bad director who wants them to emulate the Japanese voices (ala Vanille form FF13) instead of doing their own performance based off the original character notes like the Japanese voice actor did.

And seriously, go listen to Vanille's voice actor in interviews, her normal voice or something similar woudl have been perfect, and better meshed with Fang's.

I never really understood what was wrong with Vanilles English voice, its a pretty good Australian accent. She definitely was not as bad as Snow, who was forgettable.

Persona 4 had excellent english dubs, didnt bother me at all.

Yakuza had mediocre english dubs but those ruined the experience, atmosphere and setting completely :D

I'm playing Persona 4 for the first time and while I find the slightly corny English dubs to be oftentimes funny and full of energy, I would have preferred the original Japanese VO track with English subtitles.

It is true it seems like, that many male voice actors, for male characters, particularly those not intended to be effeminate or feminine, tend to have deep voices. Often deeper than their English voice acting counterpart.

Which is why I tend to prefer Japanese female voice acting. But feel rather fond of many male English voices of Japanese things. I wish that English speaking female voice actresses sounded as cute as Japanese voice actresses more often. And I wish Japanese speaking male voice actors sounded as cute as American voice actors more often.

Aretak

I think voice acting hurt jrpg's period. When voice acting became common, the games took a dive in quality, imo.
I don't think that's even limited to JRPGs. Western-style RPGs have been hurt just as much by the rise of voice acting. It's just not feasible to make a game the size of some of the classic WRPGs from around the turn of the century and before with full voice acting, and that generally means they don't get made at all.

Plus there's the issue, particularly in Bethesda games, of the same voice actor voicing about 20 different NPCs in the same game, because again it's just not feasible to hire an entire army of voice actors due to budget concerns.

KiteGr

Mostly harm IMO.

Some games that are built to apeal to westerners fair better treatment (newer RE games, demon/dark souls ect.).

The games that mostly suffer are Animeish games like most Jrpgs. (With the exeption of Persona games where somehow the dubbers do a better job.)

Top Bottom