• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Why would a rom loader be so offensive to some people? I don't earn a ton of money, but video gaming is my biggest expense. I spend waaaaay too much money on games....I never would of got into gaming though if it wasn't for a DS Lite with a Cyclo DS that was given to me....Having the freedom to try out practically any genre I wanted, whenever I wanted for free taught me to appreciate and respect gaming in ways I never would have otherwise. My point is, I never would of ended up spending as much as I do on games if it wasn't for that Cyclo DS....I don't think that people that pirate only pirate exclusively, or will only pirate exclusively for their entire lives.

Personally, the thing that annoys me is stuff like the rest of your post beyond the bolded part.

There's just this irritating thing that all pirates do where they will CONSTANTLY try and justify what they're doing.

"I wouldn't have bought the game anyway, so it didn't matter that I pirated it!"
"I've bought way more games than I would have without pirating them!"
"I'm just using it to demo games!"
"The game isn't out on SystemX so I can steal it on there!"
"I did once own the game!"

And a million others. I think if pirates just came out and said "yeah, I stole this game, I'm a cunt," and apologised like they appreciated that what they were doing was wrong, they'd be a lot less annoying.

This is actually totally legal in Canada.

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that! That's really interesting.

Rich!

Those two posts are the EXACT reason why so many people view homebrew the way they do.

If you are a pirate, you are a pirate. Don't try and justify it, it's unacceptable. An iso loader should not be why you are interested in this hack.

Sigh.

Yes, in fact smea reckons it will be very soon.

I can see it now!

Main changes for version 9.3.0-20U

Update released: November 22nd, 2014

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Why would a rom loader be so offensive to some people? I don't earn a ton of money, but video gaming is my biggest expense. I spend waaaaay too much money on games....I never would of got into gaming though if it wasn't for a DS Lite with a Cyclo DS that was given to me....Having the freedom to try out practically any genre I wanted, whenever I wanted for free taught me to appreciate and respect gaming in ways I never would have otherwise. My point is, I never would of ended up spending as much as I do on games if it wasn't for that Cyclo DS....I don't think that people that pirate only pirate exclusively, or will only pirate exclusively for their entire lives.

I'm sure I occasionally would, but for instance to high school kids can learn to get into gaming using the rom loader and then when they grow up and get jobs spend their money on games....If there were a rom loader and I pirated games with it, I would still be buying games as well, it wouldn't effect my monthly gaming budget...

This isn't a discussion for GAF, as you're about to find out, I'm sure.

dacuk

Do you honestly believe that everyone here is playing SNES games on their 3DS consoles which they legitimately own the SNES carts for? I'm sure that plenty are because that's generally the kind of community that NeoGAF fosters, but I'm also sure that plenty aren't as well, and it's pretty naive to assume otherwise. I didn't "blindly accuse everyone," though, I specifically said I wouldn't do that.

If you want, though, I could do. Owning the original cart of Super Mario All Stars actually gives you no legal right to make a copy and play it on a 3DS, so regardless of whether people in this thread "own" the games they're playing, emulators are actually in 100% of cases used to run illegal copies of games. Of course, that's just me arguing over silly things to annoy you, and while what people "see" as justified use isn't in line with the law, nobody would realistically argue with it.

I certainly don't agree with your notion that "Nintendo don't sell Game X on 3DS so it's fine to pirate it there," though, because that's a pretty slippery slope you're getting yourself on.

Great to know you are an expert on laws of all the countries of the world...

I'm sure I occasionally would, but for instance to high school kids can learn to get into gaming using the rom loader and then when they grow up and get jobs spend their money on games....If there were a rom loader and I pirated games with it, I would still be buying games as well, it wouldn't effect my monthly gaming budget...

I can't judge your position, but I gotta say...when I was in HS, games were more expensive than they are now, and I still managed to play a ton of them even with my broke-ass pockets. I bought games used or on ultra discount, I rented them, I swapped them with my buddies, and so on. Now they have so many games out there that get discounted so fast, and you can even buy them cheap digitally. I feel like ROMs wouldn't help anyone get more into games if they weren't already into games (though it might let them try games they might otherwise not buy, or not be able to buy imports or translations of, but that's a whole other thing).

Anyway, just don't do it...and definitely don't talk about it here.

How exactly could this be blocked with a firmware update? Detecting files on your SD card and erasing them?

The savegame would probably use an exploit in the savegame parsing code to jump to a function which would then be used to load the homebrew loader off the SD card. Since Nintendo knows the TitleID of the game, they can easily block the exploit from loading off the SD card.

Rich!

Okay. I'm sorry. Didnt mean to upset anybody.

Its also the case that admitting to piracy in the way you did is against the TOC and can be an instant permanent ban, especially for junior members.

So yeah. I guess contact a mod and try to explain, might help your chances. Just friendly advice, really.

epmode

So long as Persona Q is playable with the current exploit-friendly firmware, I'm OK with Nintendo trying to eradicate this hack in future releases. I don't see myself wanting a new 3DS game for some time. And by the time Majora's Mask is released, there may even be custom firmware in place!

Rich!

Yes, someone downloading a 20 year old ROM is EXACTLY the type of thing we need to fight against.

Holy shit the stupidity here.

I was on about the guy talking about pirating actual 3DS and DS games.

It's quite clear what I meant. Justifying piracy is not something that should be done.

Rich!

Why does installing the hbc require an internet connection on the 3ds? Aren't all the required files locally on the sd card?

No, the actual level that crashes the game is downloaded from Smealum's site via the QR code.

Its the only way to get the hack initially onto the system.

Petrie

Banned
I was on about the guy talking about pirating actual 3DS and DS games.

It's quite clear what I meant. Justifying piracy is not something that should be done.

That's fine.

I 100% agree though that without pirating many kids simply wouldn't get into the hobby and spend tons of money later. And they wouldn't be spending money on games either way.

Piracy is not always the evil thing GAF wants to turn it into. Pirates very often become customers, and wouldn't have spend money otherwise.

Hasney

How exactly could this be blocked with a firmware update? Detecting files on your SD card and erasing them?

The savegame would probably use an exploit in the savegame parsing code to jump to a function which would then be used to load the homebrew loader off the SD card. Since Nintendo knows the TitleID of the game, they can easily block the exploit from loading off the SD card.

smea has said that it's using a hole in the firmware to boot it, so they could close that hole.

zruben

Banned
so... to add homebrew apps, I just have to dump a folder with the .3dsx file on the 3DS folder of the SD card, right?...

am I missing something? it's not working for some reason. :/

Yep. He's on about the Twilight Hack.

Smash Stack cannot be patched.

Smash Stack has two major problems, the first is that Smash Brawl has no patching mechanism built in. The second is that patching the exploit at the system level would involve patching IOS36 which is used by many big name games (i.e. think Mario Kart Wii). You would effectively have to block the exploit without screwing anything else up.

It's not that they can't patch but the risks far, far outweigh the benefits.

Just got my copy and trying this out but Im having problems. The fw is 9.2.0-20U but the site only has J and E. I scanned both but it just crashes every time.

edit: nvm that was for new 3ds duh

vgamer1

so... to add homebrew apps, I just have to dump a folder with the .3dsx file on the 3DS folder of the SD card, right?...

am I missing something? it's not working for some reason. :/

eight characters or less on the folder name, no special characters

Just got my copy and trying this out but Im having problems. The fw is 9.2.0-20U but the site only has J and E. I scanned both but it just crashes every time.

Gotta pick which type of 3DS you have.

For you, you wanna click OLD as you don't have the NEW 3DS.

Rich!

Thats because youve selected the NEW option. Only European and JP region New Nintendo 3DS consoles exist right now.

You need to select OLD, as in the original 3DS.

That's fine.

I 100% agree though that without pirating many kids simply wouldn't get into the hobby and spend tons of money later. And they wouldn't be spending money on games either way.

Piracy is not always the evil thing GAF wants to turn it into. Pirates very often become customers, and wouldn't have spend money otherwise.

like it happened with the DS, right?

when soccer mums storm into gamestops and demand "the game which comes with all the free games" you know there is a problem.
Nintendo lost tons of money because of piracy.
It is and will always be theft. It does not matter if it's just a "20 year old rom".
it's called "piracy" for a reason.

of course sometimes pirates do become customers but, let's be honest, that's just a drop in the bucket.

When you are not personally affected by piracy, you might shrug it off as piece of cake but believe me: it's not

Petrie

Banned
like it happened with the DS, right?

when soccer mums storm into gamestops and demand "the game which comes with all the free games" you know there is a problem.
Nintendo lost tons of money because of piracy.
It is and will always be theft. It does not matter if it's just a "20 year old rom".
it's called "piracy" for a reason.

of course sometimes pirates do become customers but, let's be honest, that's just a drop in the bucket.

When you are not personally affected by piracy, you might shrug it off as piece of cake but believe me: it's not

I am a firm believer that the goal should not be preventing piracy, it should be making sure developers and publishers make as much money as possible from their games, and I believe over the long term it helps the industry much more than it hurts it. Those moms buying carts for their kids nurture gamers who will eventually feed the industry, and they would not become as such without piracy, much like has happened with every generation. Kids have lots of time and little money, and eventually become consumers with more money and less time.

Piracy helps the games industry.

FLAguy954

while I kinda agree with you, I can see people excited by this news:

homebrew on the wii was crazy and really added a lot of value to the console:
-media/DVD player
-region free
-homebrew games and apps
-save exports and imports
-mii exports and imports
-absolute control of the device firmware and stuff like that

it's like rooting an android phone, you don't do it to get free stuff, you do it for science and do more stuff with your device.

I forgot about the possibilities of a native 3d movie player! *drools*

If you want, though, I could do. Owning the original cart of Super Mario All Stars actually gives you no legal right to make a copy and play it on a 3DS, so regardless of whether people in this thread "own" the games they're playing, emulators are actually in 100% of cases used to run illegal copies of games. Of course, that's just me arguing over silly things to annoy you, and while what people "see" as justified use isn't in line with the law, nobody would realistically argue with it.

Do I have to be the one to pull the Retrode card?

I tried the SNES and Game Boy Color emulator, they work quite well for alpha releases.

The Homebrew Channel title screen is nice.
The 3D FPS and Minecraft clone are headache-inducing in 3D mode.
Now, just to wait for the region unlocking...

Khaz

Hah. It doesn't really affect my point though, which was that regardless of the law surrounding emulators, it's deemed "okay" to play copies of games you own and very few consumers would argue against that.

It's not just "okay" with quotes as you seem to imply is a grey area. The only thing the publisher and the author of a game owns is the IP and its distribution. Whatever you do with your own physical copy is your own goddamn business, as long as you don't publish the things you do (regardless of the profits you may or may not make). So, in the privacy of your own house, you can dump, hack, crack, burn, paste, cut, toast, eat, or any fancy idea you may have. What you can't do however is distributing the result of your madness.

Just like it's perfectly fine to photocopy a book to make a wall-sized edition because you happen to prefer reading like that, you can dump your own copy of a game and play it on a computer. What you can't do is putting it on the internet for others to access it, or download a copy that someone else has put on the internet

It's very important to understand that copy rights are made to protect distribution, not use.

chunk3rvd

If I've deleted all internet settings from my 3DS am I safe from updates or can they be picked up at wi-fi hotspots and such? Would like to still get streetpasses if I can but if it means I risk killing homebrew I'll just switch my wi-fi off for now

It's not just "okay" with quotes as you seem to imply is a grey area. The only thing the publisher and the author of a game owns is the IP and its distribution. Whatever you do with your own physical copy is your own goddamn business, as long as you don't publish the things you do (regardless of the profits you may or may not make). So, in the privacy of your own house, you can dump, hack, crack, burn, paste, cut, toast, eat, or any fancy idea you may have. What you can't do however is distributing the result of your madness.

Just like it's perfectly fine to photocopy a book to make a wall-sized edition because you happen to prefer reading like that, you can dump your own copy of a game and play it on a computer. What you can't do is putting it on the internet for others to access it, or download a copy that someone else has put on the internet

It's very important to understand that copy rights are made to protect distribution, not use.

That's a lot of words for a post that doesn't really argue against my own in any way, man.

Regardless of the law, very few people would argue against a consumer's right to do all the things you suggest they do with their stuff.

I think you're largely wrong, though. You say the only thing a publisher owns is the IP, but that's ridiculous. They own the "content," the own the code, the assets, everything. The only thing you own is the disk, you don't own anything on the disk, that's why games all come with the caveat that the software is "licensed" to you, rather than "given" to you. So you can toast your disk if you want, but you can't make copies of it. Obviously the law is different in different countries, and is ever-evolving, but again, none of this is really relevant. My point is specifically "regardless of the law," and so the law isn't the issue, whatever it might be where you are.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
Long thread and haven't seen a mention of it but hoping that someone can answer this for me please.

Does this exploit change/write anything to the actual 3DS firmware/software or is it all just running off the cart? Just want to make sure there's no potential for losing/corrupting things like digital game saves and StreetPass by using this. I have the game but don't want to try the exploit out if there's a risk of corrupting system files...

SegaShack

So no one updates their system from now on. Untill a big game comes out which forces you to update...

That's fine. I just want to play my PAL import of Majora's Mask Special Edition. Unless there is an update on the cart itself or something I'll be fine. That is of course, if someone does get region free working on this thing.

Top Bottom