• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

IrishNinja

Wonder Dog is a competent platformer - i dug it in the day, as there wasn't much i saw past Sonic CD at the time. i'd still go for a boxed copy on the cheap if i saw it, but it's nowhere near top 10 for me.

interesting pairing too - i totally would've invested in Shining Force CD back then and gotten way more bang for my buck. sadly, i never saw it at my nearby TRU, but got a deal on it years later!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I guess it cant be as good as

revbearp6suy.gif

AmyS

Shining Force CD looks so good, need to find time to play it finally. Is Wonder Dog decent?

I haven't played Wonder Dog, would like to someday.

Here's EGM's Shining Force CD preview from the International Outlook column that I posted last year.

HGTWNSH.jpg

I haven't played Wonder Dog or Shining Force CD yet. I loved Shining Force 1 on Genesis so it's just a matter of time.

I'm playing through Lunar the Silver Star right now. Amazing game, I'll probably complete it this weekend. I've got to be nearing the end, I don't think I've ever died and I've barely did any grinding. I count those both as positives when it comes to jrpgs of the era.

Maou

I haven't played Wonder Dog or Shining Force CD yet. I loved Shining Force 1 on Genesis so it's just a matter of time.

I'm playing through Lunar the Silver Star right now. Amazing game, I'll probably complete it this weekend. I've got to be nearing the end, I don't think I've ever died and I've barely did any grinding. I count those both as positives when it comes to jrpgs of the era.
TSS is genius, though it's bafflingly out of whack: the early part of the game is brutal up through the forest outside of Burg, but after the Red Dragon Cave, you'll never die again unless you run from a lot of battles. The last battle would be disappointing from this regard if it weren't taking place in such a cool dungeon. The remake actually gets points here for a better, harder last boss. Eternal Blue will keep you on your toes, though.

cj_iwakura

TSS is genius, though it's bafflingly out of whack: the early part of the game is brutal up through the forest outside of Burg, but after the Red Dragon Cave, you'll never die again unless you run from a lot of battles. The last battle would be disappointing from this regard if it weren't taking place in such a cool dungeon. The remake actually gets points here for a better, harder last boss. Eternal Blue will keep you on your toes, though.

TSS has a much, MUCH cooler final battle than the remake.

Cower... in FEAR.

This is good to know because i just picked up Lunar and have Shining Force in the mail.

Maou

TSS has a much, MUCH cooler final battle than the remake.

Cower... in FEAR.
It is so nice to have a rare fellow Lunar booster in the English-speaking net! That said, I think TSS really falls apart at the end, last boss included, even if
the TSS version of the Mechanical Castle is much, much cooler than SSS (love having to fight the furnace flames!). I was completely repulsed as a kid by demon Ghaleon. Undermined the sneering elegance of the character. It was worsened by the fact that I was one of the rare people who played Eternal Blue first, so I had this cool and ultimately redemptive image of him, which was sort of uncut by having turn into this ghastly thing in TSS. Don't get me wrong, I MUCH prefer how much more vicious he is in TSS in general...gotta be ransacking towns, killing Dragons, and enslaving villagers! I just hated the cliche "true form" routine, especially when it was something ugly instead of cool. Insult to injury is that Ghaleon, like everyone else post-Red Dragon, is a pushover, and the game just ends because the staff didn't really know what to do with Luna and her responsibility for the world's near-demise...see the Newtype SSS remarks by Kubooka on this.

cj_iwakura

It is so nice to have a rare fellow Lunar booster in the English-speaking net! That said, I think TSS really falls apart at the end, last boss included, even if
the TSS version of the Mechanical Castle is much, much cooler than SSS (love having to fight the furnace flames!). I was completely repulsed as a kid by demon Ghaleon. Undermined the sneering elegance of the character. It was worsened by the fact that I was one of the rare people who played Eternal Blue first, so I had this cool and ultimately redemptive image of him, which was sort of uncut by having turn into this ghastly thing in TSS. Don't get me wrong, I MUCH prefer how much more vicious he is in TSS in general...gotta be ransacking towns, killing Dragons, and enslaving villagers! I just hated the cliche "true form" routine, especially when it was something ugly instead of cool. Insult to injury is that Ghaleon, like everyone else post-Red Dragon, is a pushover, and the game just ends because the staff didn't really know what to do with Luna and her responsibility for the world's near-demise...see the Newtype SSS remarks by Kubooka on this.

Guess that's one way of looking at it... but they had the benefit of hindsight in knowing he'd come back in EB when doing the remake. In the original, I guess they wanted him to go out with a (creepy) bang. It's such a badass fight that I never minded one bit.

And yeah, Ghaleon's a monster in the original. They really pulled his fangs out in the remake, I think. I thought his final form was badass, too.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/3cedc9bbeee17dc1b7ed5a4d34f1efa0/tumblr_n7leuvwW5H1skns5ho1_540.jpg

And lest we forget:
http://66.media.tumblr.com/b3977c74df696d485d219dde27a4b927/tumblr_n7les1s9VE1skns5ho1_1280.jpg

Dragon BOY.

He's awesome all the way around in both versions of EB.

I still favor a lot of things about TSS, especially Luna staying behind. It felt like that was part of Alex's journey, and leaving her behind was a major step towards his maturation.

Also makes what happens when he returns all the more powerful.

Here's a fun TSS moment, on the subject.

tumblr_nc5v4uPCB71qfxv5io1_500.jpg

tumblr_nc5v4uPCB71qfxv5io2_500.jpg

tumblr_nc5v4uPCB71qfxv5io3_500.jpg

Guess that's one way of looking at it... but they had the benefit of hindsight in knowing he'd come back in EB when doing the remake. In the original, I guess they wanted him to go out with a (creepy) bang. It's such a badass fight that I never minded one bit.

And yeah, Ghaleon's a monster in the original. They really pulled his fangs out in the remake, I think. I thought his final form was badass, too.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/3cedc9bbeee17dc1b7ed5a4d34f1efa0/tumblr_n7leuvwW5H1skns5ho1_540.jpg

And lest we forget:
http://66.media.tumblr.com/b3977c74df696d485d219dde27a4b927/tumblr_n7les1s9VE1skns5ho1_1280.jpg

Dragon BOY.

He's awesome all the way around in both versions of EB.

I still favor a lot of things about TSS, especially Luna staying behind. It felt like that was part of Alex's journey, and leaving her behind was a major step towards his maturation.

Also makes what happens when he returns all the more powerful.

Here's a fun TSS moment, on the subject.

Good heavens yes.
Luna coming along in SSC is just an inferior version of the story. Ghaleon's true form transformation is kind of cliche now, but I Think the grossness of it worked better back then.

Maou

Good heavens yes.
Luna coming along in SSC is just an inferior version of the story. Ghaleon's true form transformation is kind of cliche now, but I Think the grossness of it worked better back then.
Like scenario writer Shigema has said at various points, you can think of TSS and SSS as being the result of different storytellers retelling the same story. I think there's value in both, and each has some things that are vastly superior (unlike the EB remake, which is junk, MCD all the way (look, this is on-topic!)). For instance,
Luna coming with you lowers the stakes of the journey, but it also allows you to learn a lot more about her as a person. SSS takes the TSS cast to EB levels of characterization. In the ideal situation, you now know more about her from SSS, then return to TSS to have her stay behind for that impact. NO dispute on the impact of the return to Burg being weakened in SSS, even with the magnificent new cinema of Ghaleon vs. the White Dragon. I sound like a maniac, but I was furious when Burg was in tact and the villagers weren't enslaved. "Wreck this place, Ghaleon, what's your problem?!"

Like scenario writer Shigema has said at various points, you can think of TSS and SSS as being the result of different storytellers retelling the same story. I think there's value in both, and each has some things that are vastly superior (unlike the EB remake, which is junk, MCD all the way (look, this is on-topic!)).
Is there anything at all the EB remake does better than the original? Because I agree, the original is definitely better.

For instance,
Luna coming with you lowers the stakes of the journey, but it also allows you to learn a lot more about her as a person. SSS takes the TSS cast to EB levels of characterization. In the ideal situation, you now know more about her from SSS, then return to TSS to have her stay behind for that impact. NO dispute on the impact of the return to Burg being weakened in SSS, even with the magnificent new cinema of Ghaleon vs. the White Dragon. I sound like a maniac, but I was furious when Burg was in tact and the villagers weren't enslaved. "Wreck this place, Ghaleon, what's your problem?!"

I think that by not having her come with you in the original version, you learn way too little about Luna; it makes it harder to care as much about her than in the remake. On that note, a potential explanation for cutting the 'Ghaleon destroying Burg' part is that in the remake you know more about and actually care about Luna now since she's actually been in the party for quite some time, so Luna being kidnapped means a lot more than it did before. Considering that, was the rest of that destruction really necessary? Not really.

Making it so Luna joins the party instead of staying behind is the best thing they did in the remakes, and is one of the reasons that as much as I like EB better on the SCD, I probably prefer the remake to the original version of the first game.

Having Luna be in the party in SSS fixes part of the original versions' messed up difficulty, since you don't need to deal with a whole chunk of the early game, including the Meribia sewers and the Vane trial area, no healer! With a healer it'd be fine, but having to go through any amount of a game like that with no healer is awful; potions and such are not nearly as good, and they should have realized that in the original game too. This makes that part of the game harder than it needed to be.

Anyone ever played The Third World War?

Reviews seem to suggest it is average... but that box art has always intrigued me. Any first hand experience?

The annoying and very early '90s menu-based interface is a huge pain to deal with. With a mouse maybe it'd be more tolerable, but there is no mouse support, and with a gamepad... no thanks. The RTS battles are a little better, but they control oddly as well. I'm sure there is an interesting game there if you give it a lot of time, and I like some things about it, but it's a very, very dated game.

IrishNinja

...ya'll are really gonna call Lunar - at any point - a hard RPG?

did anyone stick around for the Borgan fight in 2? now, that shit was brutal

I had some weird loading issue with Lunar near the end. It would randomly stop even trying to read the disc and wouldn't load or even attempt to load after a battle or when loading into a new town. Hope my Sega CD isn't dying. Happened four or five times overall. I was nervous it was going to happen at the end but it didn't.

Going to play through Earthworm Jim next.

I just hooked up a receiver to my setup and noticed if I run sound out of the Sega CD RCA out it sounds way better than what is coming out of my Genesis AV out port. Is this normal? I wish I had another Genesis to test. I assumed the Genesis just passed the Sega CD sound through but it's quieter and slightly distorted running through the genesis. Maybe my genny has some bad capacitors.

did anyone stick around for the Borgan fight in 2? now, that shit was brutal

They aren't among the harder RPGs out there, sure (average, overall, perhaps?), but you can die, and more importantly the different versions of the game vary significantly in how hard they are, which was my main point there.

Maou

Fair enough. Uh, I guess it's still possible to die in the woods by Burg and the Meribian Sewers, though.
Is there anything at all the EB remake does better than the original?
No.

...well, I guess there were two extremely minor points they'd wanted to include on MCD and finally added (
Ghaleon snarling at the false Althena for calling him Dragonmaster, which he feels disgraces his dead friend Dyne; and Ghaleon's cape blowing away in the wind after he died---originally, they'd wanted it to be Luna's scarf which they would have used as a salve on his wounds before he died...see the Official Design Materials interviews
), but otherwise, it's poor decision after poor decision, coupled with the inexplicable use of the B-team at Gonzo who produced ugly cinemas that were so off-model, illustrator Funato Akari tore into them in discussions with character designer and cinema director Kubooka after the fact. And unlike TSS and SSS which are apples and oranges, EB and EB remake are so similar that every mistake really shows.

I think that by not having her come with you in the original version, you learn way too little about Luna; it makes it harder to care as much about her than in the remake. On that note, a potential explanation for cutting the 'Ghaleon destroying Burg' part is that in the remake you know more about and actually care about Luna now since she's actually been in the party for quite some time, so Luna being kidnapped means a lot more than it did before. Considering that, was the rest of that destruction really necessary? Not really.
I think we're in agreement on it adding a lot to her character even at the expense of the feeling of "aloneness" that comes from leaving people behind when going on new travels. And while knowing her better makes it more terrible when
Ghaleon kidnaps her, it's still not enough for me that it doesn't feel lame to have everything else in Burg going on as per normal. The sense of the world being under seige is missing in SSS. Weird thought I finally had many years after playing SSS: Ghaleon is still authoritarian, but he never even harms anybody in SSS other than semi-killing the Dragons and exploiting some Vile Tribe in the mines. So different from when I just despised him in TSS for slave labor and civilian target practice in Ruid.

Fair enough. Uh, I guess it's still possible to die in the woods by Burg and the Meribian Sewers, though.
No.

...well, I guess there were two extremely minor points they'd wanted to include on MCD and finally added (
Ghaleon snarling at the false Althena for calling him Dragonmaster, which he feels disgraces his dead friend Dyne; and Ghaleon's cape blowing away in the wind after he died---originally, they'd wanted it to be Luna's scarf which they would have used as a salve on his wounds before he died...see the Official Design Materials interviews
), but otherwise, it's poor decision after poor decision, coupled with the inexplicable use of the B-team at Gonzo who produced ugly cinemas that were so off-model, illustrator Funato Akari tore into them in discussions with character designer and cinema director Kubooka after the fact. And unlike TSS and SSS which are apples and oranges, EB and EB remake are so similar that every mistake really shows.
Huh, interesting details there, I haven't read those interviews. The EB remake always has felt downgraded in various ways, but that explains some of it.

Outside of the story though, where the EB remake is worse all around, despite what I said before I do like one thing about the remakes. Both of the remakes (SSS and EB) do make one big improvement over the SCD versions when they removed the random battles In any top-down RPG, being able to see the enemies in the world is great.

... On a completely different note, while the worst thing about Lunar Legend (GBA) is the generic JRPG battle system that gets rid of the slightly tactical movement element of the standard Lunar battle system, maybe second dumbest was the choice to have Luna use cooking pots for a weapon, while she's in the party . What the heck? Who thought THAT was a good idea, that's so dumb! It's not like that in any previous version.

I think we're in agreement on it adding a lot to her character even at the expense of the feeling of "aloneness" that comes from leaving people behind when going on new travels.
Why is this something people want so much though? I don't quite get it, honestly. How is the story better with you knowing and caring so much less about Luna, when the game focuses on the relationship between Alex and Luna? It's not. And that's probably part of why they changed it in the remake.

And while knowing her better makes it more terrible when
Ghaleon kidnaps her, it's still not enough for me that it doesn't feel lame to have everything else in Burg going on as per normal. The sense of the world being under seige is missing in SSS. Weird thought I finally had many years after playing SSS: Ghaleon is still authoritarian, but he never even harms anybody in SSS other than semi-killing the Dragons and exploiting some Vile Tribe in the mines. So different from when I just despised him in TSS for slave labor and civilian target practice in Ruid.
As one who rarely likes violently edgy storytelling, I don't mind the (yes, big!) changes to Ghaleon, honestly... :p
(Plus, doesn't it kind of make him fit in better with how he is in the sequel? He does more irredeemable things in the original version after all.)
This is just a matter of opinion though, so it's easy to see how many people prefer the original version.

As one who rarely likes violently edgy storytelling, I don't mind the (yes, big!) changes to Ghaleon too much, honestly... :p
(Plus, doesn't it kind of make him fit in better with how he is in the sequel? He does more irredeemable things in the original version after all.)
This is just a matter of opinion though, so it's easy to see how many people prefer the original version.

I agree with this and have made the point before. The Luna thing and the changes to how "evil" Ghaleon is is what makes me like SSSC more. It's not even that the original was too "edgy" but he was more like a cartoon villain in it and while people may not have liked that they shaved his edges off a bit for the remake it really helped with his characterization. As a side note, was his kindness to faeries just in the remakes? I can't remember.

Glad people are talking about the actual story changes in the games since most times I've seen this topic come up it's just people backing whatever soundtrack they liked more.
While both were great in sorta different styles.

Maou

Huh, interesting details there, I haven't read those interviews.
Yeah, that book is great for art and even greater for the pages and pages of interviews. I translated it for Lunar-Net years ago here if you want to read more.

I agree with this and have made the point before. The Luna thing and the changes to how "evil" Ghaleon is is what makes me like SSSC more. It's not even that the original was too "edgy" but he was more like a cartoon villain in it and while people may not have liked that they shaved his edges off a bit for the remake it really helped with his characterization. As a side note, was his kindness to faeries just in the remakes? I can't remember.
Ghaleon is a much more interesting character philosophically in the remake---takes the story into a clash between his Hobbesian vision and free will humanism, long before it became typical fare. It's also a far better match for EB, for sure. Victor Ireland has occasionally posted here that he liked how mysterious Ghaleon was in TSS, though, and I think that's certainly a fair point.
His total cruelty in TSS definitely made his redemption in EB a much greater surprise...or so I imagine, since I played EB first and was completely surprised regardless, based even on the legends of his misdeeds centuries later.
He has always been kind to fairies! His garden is a little bigger in TSS than SSS.

I played through a couple more Sega CD games recently. Earthworm Jim was excellent. I can't compare it to the Genesis/SNES version but I know it adds a new level so it's gotta be better right. I was glad to finally play through it.

I was less glad to play through Revenge of the Ninja. Animated FMV QTE game that isn't done poorly it's just not interesting in any way. At least it wasn't very hard so you could see everything.

cj_iwakura

Is there anything at all the EB remake does better than the original? Because I agree, the original is definitely better.

Well, it has 100% more bath scenes, I guess.

(I could be wrong, but I recall EBC having a cringeworthy 'now she's embarrassed!' bath scene later on as if it were some huge character shift.)

Maou

(I could be wrong, but I recall EBC having a cringeworthy 'now she's embarrassed!' bath scene later on as if it were some huge character shift.)
It's true, there is one more, but with the janky low-grade Gonzo art for the animations in EB remake, why bother? I think the "becoming human and thus embarrassed" scene worked fine in the original in Nall's hideout. In conclusion: even the shower scenes are worse in the remake!

You're right, yes; this is something that bothered me about the EB remake as well. The original game has one bath scene, the one in Nall's hideout, where he walks in on her bathing and she tells him to leave. Her reaction shows that she is starting to understand their culture, but it's not out of character, she's still calm and the after-scene is amusing.

In the remake, first they added that entirely new stupid bath scene early in the game where she walks into a mens' bath because she just doesn't understand, then they messed up the Nall's hideout scene by having her yell at him and hide in the water in generic anime "guy was peeking" fashion, in a way that doesn't fit her character at all.

I think the "becoming human and thus embarrassed" scene worked fine in the original in Nall's hideout. In conclusion: even the shower scenes are worse in the remake!
Yup. More fanservice is not better, better writing (the original version) is better.

vireland

I wanna like Vay more then i do, but i'm just glad they brought more stuff over here, even if its not the best.

It's okay if you think it's just *okay* (I do, too). Without Vay, there would have been no Working Designs Popful Mail, Iron Storm, or Dragon Force. That's the game that cemented my relationship with Shigema-san (he was a partner in SIMS, the company that made Vay), who was always very cool to me and very powerful at SEGA consumer soft at the time. So Vay was indeed a key WD title, but not for the usual reasons.

Maou

It's okay if you think it's just *okay* (I do, too). Without Vay, there would have been no Working Designs Popful Mail, Iron Storm, or Dragon Force. That's the game that cemented my relationship with Shigema-san (he was a partner in SIMS, the company that made Vay), who was always very cool to me and very powerful at SEGA consumer soft at the time. So Vay was indeed a key WD title, but not for the usual reasons.
Fascinating! I assume you mean Lunar scenario writer Shigema Kei? If so, I had no idea he had a Vay connection, and thus led to Lunar being published abroad.

A delight having you in the MCD thread, Vic, and very fitting---I suspect that Working Designs is the bulk of the reason that it's even possible to have an enthusiastic Mega CD thread in the English-speaking net. To this day, Lunar is the only series where I'm equally happy playing the international version.

vireland

Fascinating! I assume you mean Lunar scenario writer Shigema Kei? If so, I had no idea he had a Vay connection, and thus led to Lunar being published abroad.

A delight having you in the MCD thread, Vic, and very fitting---I suspect that Working Designs is the bulk of the reason that it's even possible to have an enthusiastic Mega CD thread in the English-speaking net. To this day, Lunar is the only series where I'm equally happy playing the international version.

Haha, brain fart. I meant Shigeta-san, head of SEGA CC Consumersoft in Japan, not Shigema!

Maou

Haha, brain fart. I meant Shigeta-san, head of SEGA CC Consumersoft in Japan, not Shigema!
Ah, that makes more sense, since I remembered Shigema as a novelist and scriptwriter. Regardless, what a breakthrough! RPG fans and translation owe a lot to your Vay connection.

IrishNinja

always dig your input for bits like this, vic
it's weird, now when pubs tell you support franchise (x) to get more franchise (y) it's always taken as a marketing ploy, we don't often think about what doors might be opened

vireland

always dig your input for bits like this, vic
it's weird, now when pubs tell you support franchise (x) to get more franchise (y) it's always taken as a marketing ploy, we don't often think about what doors might be opened

These days, it's often probably a marketing ploy because if the game's good, it's coming over anyway. But back then there were a LOT of titles stranded in Japan. The exception would be super-niche-y titles (like Class of Heroes, for example!) that have a small market to begin with.

But that whole Vay thing was surreal as it unfolded. Shigeta-san took a liking to me for reasons I still don't understand completely. I remember having tea on delicate fine china in his office in Japan at SEGA CC ConsumerSoft while he brought in staff one by one that demoed the in-progress builds of some games, including Iron Storm and Dragon Force, both of which he which he offered me on the spot when the demos were done.

And then another time, I think before that, when he asked me to come upstairs from SIMS (SIMS is the letters of the names of the founders - Shigeta being the first S) offices to the top of the office building where there was a HUGE empty SEGA conference room like you see in movies with an enormous oval conference table surrounded by dozens of chairs, and him sitting way on the far side opposite the door, beckoning me over because he wanted to ask what I thought of the 32X SoA was pushing. That night was pretty surreal, and it only became more so. We were there at the end of March, and the cherry blossoms were in bloom, so leaving that night was also very cinematic with the gentle breeze unleashing wave after wave of cherry blossoms as we walked out of the office building onto the small, dark street in back, past a small temple, and to the JR station a couple blocks away.

Or the time in Orlando at Disneyworld where, out of hundreds of top publishers and developers at the event, he chose to sit by me in a conference SEGA held, which was a strong, silent vote of confidence. I heard (awesome, kind of scary) stories about his darker side, but he was always extremely, completely, totally cool with me. In later days he got involved in some kind of financial scandal and disappeared from SoJ, then I lost touch with him and eventually heard that he got very sick and died. No one at SoJ really wanted to talk about it, so it was hard to know what really happened. But I have nothing but great memories of those times interacting with him.

I played through Wonder Dog this morning. It seems to have unlimited continues but the game isn't remotely difficult until the last stage with some blind jumps and one annoying enemy. It's not bad but overall it is just a really generic and forgettable platformer.

cj_iwakura

These days, it's often probably a marketing ploy because if the game's good, it's coming over anyway. But back then there were a LOT of titles stranded in Japan. The exception would be super-niche-y titles (like Class of Heroes, for example!) that have a small market to begin with.

But that whole Vay thing was surreal as it unfolded. Shigeta-san took a liking to me for reasons I still don't understand completely. I remember having tea on delicate fine china in his office in Japan at SEGA CC ConsumerSoft while he brought in staff one by one that demoed the in-progress builds of some games, including Iron Storm and Dragon Force, both of which he which he offered me on the spot when the demos were done.

And then another time, I think before that, when he asked me to come upstairs from SIMS (SIMS is the letters of the names of the founders - Shigeta being the first S) offices to the top of the office building where there was a HUGE empty SEGA conference room like you see in movies with an enormous oval conference table surrounded by dozens of chairs, and him sitting way on the far side opposite the door, beckoning me over because he wanted to ask what I thought of the 32X SoA was pushing. That night was pretty surreal, and it only became more so. We were there at the end of March, and the cherry blossoms were in bloom, so leaving that night was also very cinematic with the gentle breeze unleashing wave after wave of cherry blossoms as we walked out of the office building onto the small, dark street in back, past a small temple, and to the JR station a couple blocks away.

Or the time in Orlando at Disneyworld where, out of hundreds of top publishers and developers at the event, he chose to sit by me in a conference SEGA held, which was a strong, silent vote of confidence. I heard (awesome, kind of scary) stories about his darker side, but he was always extremely, completely, totally cool with me. In later days he got involved in some kind of financial scandal and disappeared from SoJ, then I lost touch with him and eventually heard that he got very sick and died. No one at SoJ really wanted to talk about it, so it was hard to know what really happened. But I have nothing but great memories of those times interacting with him.

Were you ever offered or interested in Shadowrun(Sega CD)? SIMS were involved in that.

shadowrun-mcd.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

What a great story to share with us here! One thing I wondered though, why did he ask you about the 32x? What did you answer? Was this because SoJ was uneasy about the 32x or was he optimistic about it? The internal rivalry at Sega at the time was always so fascinating to me, and its probably one of the important reasons for its eventual downfall.

vireland

Were you ever offered or interested in Shadowrun(Sega CD)? SIMS were involved in that.

Haha, yes. I have a beta version gold disc of that somewhere that they sent me to evaluate. I think that was a situation like 3x3 Eyes and After Armageddon - games I wanted to do or was close to doing, but victims of timing. The opportunities came too late in the cycle.

vireland

What a great story to share with us here! One thing I wondered though, why did he ask you about the 32x? What did you answer? Was this because SoJ was uneasy about the 32x or was he optimistic about it? The internal rivalry at Sega at the time was always so fascinating to me, and its probably one of the important reasons for its eventual downfall.

I assume he wanted an opinion from outside his SEGA of America contacts that were pushing it. I was diplomatic in saying it was a stopgap measure that would divide the base (that was already divided once by the CD add-on), and those rarely do well.

Another embarrassing thing I just remembered was the time he asked me how old I thought he was when we were out to dinner in a group. That is a landmine question, always. I guessed what I thought was low, but overshot by almost 10 years - heading up SEGA's consumersoft division had definitely aged him! It was pretty embarrassing, but he laughed it off - thankfully!

BTails

Happy 25th birthday to the Sega CD! Or should I say Mega CD, as it launched in Japan on December 12, 1991.

Anyone going to boot anything up to play tonight? The two launch titles in Japan were Sol-Feace and Heavy Nova. Or maybe you'd prefer to play Sega's first game released for the hardware, Wakusei Woodstock: Funky Horror Band, an RPG they released a week after launch.

IrishNinja

Happy 25th birthday to the Sega CD! Or should I say Mega CD, as it launched in Japan on December 12, 1991.

Anyone going to boot anything up to play tonight? The two launch titles in Japan were Sol-Feace and Heavy Nova. Or maybe you'd prefer to play Sega's first game released for the hardware, Wakusei Woodstock: Funky Horror Band, an RPG they released a week after launch.

aw man, happy birthday Mega-CD!
i'm on the saturn lately but maybe tonight i'll boot up sonic CD or pretty much anything but heavy nova

I've actually been playing Sol Feace the last few days. Perfect. That game ramps the difficulty up by about 20x near the end.

Well, I did manage to complete Sol Feace. Like every shooter, when I finally beat it I did so in crushing fashion with tons of lives left. The boss on the second to last level is so hard and more difficult than anything else in the game that I almost gave up. Although you get infinite continues, the game goes from starting you on the same level you died to making you beat the last three levels on each continue. And those levels have the hardest bosses by far. It was very rewarding to master though. I fired up the Genesis version on emulator to see what was different and noticed they changed and let you continue on each level. Makes the game much easier. I definitely recommend either version.

I'm going to finally go through Night Trap next. I've only played it a little and didn't quite get it. I'll probably just use a guide, I doubt I'll have much interest in sinking a lot of time into it trying to figure out all the trap times and locations. I'll be playing the CD/32x version.

SKINNER!

Banned
Has there ever been a translation patch for Captain Tsubasa on Sega CD? Loved playing the famicom version and I hear the Sega CD is great but it was only released in Japan.

Well, I did manage to complete Sol Feace. Like every shooter, when I finally beat it I did so in crushing fashion with tons of lives left. The boss on the second to last level is so hard and more difficult than anything else in the game that I almost gave up. Although you get infinite continues, the game goes from starting you on the same level you died to making you beat the last three levels on each continue. And those levels have the hardest bosses by far. It was very rewarding to master though. I fired up the Genesis version on emulator to see what was different and noticed they changed and let you continue on each level. Makes the game much easier. I definitely recommend either version.

I'm going to finally go through Night Trap next. I've only played it a little and didn't quite get it. I'll probably just use a guide, I doubt I'll have much interest in sinking a lot of time into it trying to figure out all the trap times and locations. I'll be playing the CD/32x version.

Nice. For some reason I though Sol Feace was like a $100 game haha. Might have to pick one up when I come across it.

I've been wanting Night Trap for years. Have you or anybody here played Double Switch?

Nice. For some reason I though Sol Feace was like a $100 game haha. Might have to pick one up when I come across it.

I've been wanting Night Trap for years. Have you or anybody here played Double Switch?
I've yet to play Double Switch but it's on my list. I did play through Night Trap. I totally cheated and used a guide but it was better and more entertaining than I would have imagined. I can see why someone would hate it and why someone would love it.

I played through a few Sega CD games over the Holidays. Lunar 2 which was very good. I still think I prefer Silver Star. There was a charm or something I can't quantify about the first game that didn't hit me with Eternal Blue. Mansion of Hidden Souls which was not fun and very unappealing in aesthetics and overall design. Hook which is your run of the mill generic movie licensed game. It was super easy I beat it on my first attempt and still had double digit lives. 3 Ninja's Kick Back....I have to say I actually ended up enjoying this game. It took genuine effort on my part because I attempted to play it on a few different occasions over the past year and quit in disgust every time until recently. The added Sega CD levels are frustrating hot garbage though.

I also played through an obscure fighting game called Brutal: Paws of Fury. It's similar to Street Fighter II and MK except it's good.

Top Bottom