• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

I admittedly don't know how loud or quiet the 212 Evo is, but I can say for certain that Noctua fans are VERY quiet. Some of the quietest in the industry AFAIK. Plus they look cool (though they don't match with anything haha).

Honestly I wouldn't get a DVD drive unless this is some sort of HTPC setup (in which case you'd probably want a bluray drive anyway) but that's just personal preference.

Yeah thanks I'll probably ditch the DVD Drive forgot I placed that in there. And sweet I'll go with the Noctua. My tower is gonna be in a corner so matching isn't too important haha

appaws

Banned
Looking to splurge on a very high end pc. Spending around 3k. Any thoughts on builds?

Also, are there comparable monitors to the rog swift? It's sold it everywhere.

My first thought is jealousy.

Look at Caselabs for cases. They are unmatched. You could do Haswell-E....or you could do a Devil's Canyon i7 and SLI a couple of 980s. A nice 1TB SSD would be sweet.

Have you built a PC before...?
Are you interested in custom water cooling...?

tm24

The caps will eventually go (sooner the hotter it runs), but if it's still good and fulfills your requirements then why not keep it? Always a good idea to put away a little money so that you can replace it immediately, as with all things, really.

What he said, the temps, the workload and power grid issues all effect durability.
For example, a PSU rated for 600W but never drawing more than 400W and kept cooled will last longer than a unit that draw 500W
You should expect up to 10 years on good PSU's that stayed cool and was operating below it's rated workload
It's definitely been operating below its workload and kept cool since my pc is next to an air conditioning vent. So I'll just reuse it for now

Ronabo

Ok I think I've decided on all this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1108.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 23:16 EDT-0400

Will all that fit in that case? Do I really need that CPU cooler? Do I need any more fans? I do plan on overclocking. I'm gonna try and purchase as much as I can at my local Micro Center for easier returns.

Booshka

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Will all that fit in that case? Do I really need that CPU cooler? Do I need any more fans? I do plan on overclocking. I'm gonna try and purchase as much as I can at my local Micro Center for easier returns.

I like this build a lot, and yea, CPU cooler is worth it, a must if you plan to overclock. I don't really know about the case and whether it will all fit, someone more experienced will have to answer that. That PSU should be fine so long as you don't plan on throwing another GPU in it, or using power draining USB devices like an external cap card or something. In that case, I would shoot for a 750w or so PSU.

Great build overall for 1200 though imo.

This week has been fucking awful for my computer gear. I lost a hard drive this weekend and a few days ago I noticed a scratch on my monitor. I have no idea how that scratch got there.

Booshka

This week has been fucking awful for my computer gear. I lost a hard drive this weekend and a few days ago I noticed a scratch on my monitor. I have no idea how that scratch got there.

At least I got to watch what permanently marked my monitor. I had a coffee mug on my computer desk and my cat jumped down from the window, clipped my monitor, and made it fall on the edge of my coffee mug. Now there is small mark on the monitor in the same curvature of part of my coffee mug. I can ignore it most of the time, but it's there.

Yea if you're going to microcenter for the 4690k, make sure you buy a z97 motherboard there as well. I believe it's a $40 discount when you buy both. This combo doesn't show up on pcpartpicker unfortunately, but if you go to microcenter's website and add the cpu and mobo to your cart, you'll see the discount.

vazel

Banned
At least I got to watch what permanently marked my monitor. I had a coffee mug on my computer desk and my cat jumped down from the window, clipped my monitor, and made it fall on the edge of my coffee mug. Now there is small mark on the monitor in the same curvature of part of my coffee mug. I can ignore it most of the time, but it's there.
My main monitor has a small mark in its screen(I can feel the tiny bump with my finger). I don't know how it got there. Luckily the mark is so small that I don't notice it most of the time.

/monitors anonymous group

MetalDeer

I was having issues with my computer recently. It wouldn't turn on, so I tried another power supply. It turned on, at first, but then it started doing the same thing. Except rather than showing absolutely no signs of power, the fans with flick on for a second and turn off. Tested both PSUs with a voltmeter and they both checked out fine.

Anyways, that's kind of aside the point of why I'm posting here. I concluded that it's probably an issue with my motherboard, but the warranty's up, so I'm going to get an all new motherboard and CPU, since I've wanted to switch to Intel for a while now. Going from an FX-4170 to a 4690K, and I was wondering if I would absolutely have to do a brand new install of Windows 7? It's not a huge issue if I do, but I was hoping I could at least boot it up once to move some stuff around and such. And if anyone here has a 4690K, how does it do at stock clock? I won't be able to get an aftermarket cooler for a while, so I'll be stuck with a stock cooler.

rObit

Banned
My 660 TI went out on me, thing lasted less than 2 years :/ Slapped my 5770 in there from my previous build and the thing still runs like a champ. Will probably replace it with something in the $250 range pretty soon.

Just wanted to bitch about the 660 ti....fuggin' thing.

Booshka

My 660 TI went out on me, thing lasted less than 2 years :/ Slapped my 5770 in there from my previous build and the thing still runs like a champ. Will probably replace it with something in the $250 range pretty soon.

Save up for the $330 range and get a 970, so long as your CPU and MOBO can support it.

xBladeM6x

Can someone with a 980 / 970 do me a favor? If you own BFBC2 or AC IV, and are running through HDMI, let me know if the game stutters like fuck for you. When I use an HDMI on my 980, they stutter like mad, but when I use DVI-D, it's fine. I want to know if this is my specific GPU being fucked up, or my HDMI cords being 5+ years old and therefore not up to standard.

Won't it be covered under warranty?

My main monitor has a small mark in its screen(I can feel the tiny bump with my finger). I don't know how it got there. Luckily the mark is so small that I don't notice it most of the time.

/monitors anonymous group

It looks like a hair is stuck to my monitor. It's not too bad. It's on my portrait monitor near the bottom of the screen. I tend to look at more things on top, so I don't always see it. It stands out on really white websites like neogaf. Maybe I need to go dark theme now.

Booshka

It looks like a hair is stuck to my monitor. It's not too bad. It's on my portrait monitor near the bottom of the screen. I tend to look at more things on top, so I don't always see it. It stands out on really white websites like neogaf. Maybe I need to go dark theme now.

Dark theme fo lyfe

rocK`

Banned
My first thought is jealousy.

Look at Caselabs for cases. They are unmatched. You could do Haswell-E....or you could do a Devil's Canyon i7 and SLI a couple of 980s. A nice 1TB SSD would be sweet.

Have you built a PC before...?
Are you interested in custom water cooling...?

Hah. I've been in your shoes for too long. I've built a handful before. Usually making compromises to save money. Not this time! Thanks for the suggestions will pc part picker tomorrow.

Water cooling honestly scares me, though I'll admit it's an irrational fear based on ignorance. Worried one day something will leak and I'm SOL.

Dec

This isn't new PC related, but I figure it's useful to post.

My APC is making a cricket sound that is annoying as fuck. I'll take the hit and not have battery back up until I can replace the battery but is there a way to use it just as a straight up surge protector until then?

Like remove the battery and still use it?

appaws

Banned
Hah. I've been in your shoes for too long. I've built a handful before. Usually making compromises to save money. Not this time! Thanks for the suggestions will pc part picker tomorrow.

Water cooling honestly scares me, though I'll admit it's an irrational fear based on ignorance. Worried one day something will leak and I'm SOL.

Good deal. The water cooling thing is mostly about looks and sometimes quiet. Even for a high-end build with overclock, air or an AIO would do you fine.

Spend the time researching. Study the OP of this thread. Look at the system guides at Techreport.com. Watch some of the (short) case reviews at Hardware Canucks' Youtube channel.

kennah

My APC is making a cricket sound that is annoying as fuck. I'll take the hit and not have battery back up until I can replace the battery but is there a way to use it just as a straight up surge protector until then?

I wouldn't risk it.

Ronabo

Yea if you're going to microcenter for the 4690k, make sure you buy a z97 motherboard there as well. I believe it's a $40 discount when you buy both. This combo doesn't show up on pcpartpicker unfortunately, but if you go to microcenter's website and add the cpu and mobo to your cart, you'll see the discount.

Cool! Thanks for the tip.

King_Moc

Banned
Does anyone here have a 4k monitor? If so, what does 1080p upscaled look like on it? It should scale up perfectly, but I don't know if upscaling algorithms actually think like that. I was considering biting on that new Asus 4k g-sync monitor. If 1080p looks like crap though, I'll go with a 1440p monitor.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for the question, it seemed vaguely relevant.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does anyone here have a 4k monitor? If so, what does 1080p upscaled look like on it? It should scale up perfectly, but I don't know if upscaling algorithms actually think like that. I was considering biting on that new Asus 4k g-sync monitor. If 1080p looks like crap though, I'll go with a 1440p monitor.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for the question, it seemed vaguely relevant.
Naw, I'm interested too, someone else posted it also (IDK if it was you).
Let me know the answer you find.

Just grabbed a new motherboard and a 4690k based on thread recommendations, and so far it's looking nice. However the recent vram recommendations have me wondering if I should upgrade my 2gb 680 gtx with a 4gb 970 gtx. Any thoughts?

mdsfx

I've been running a 3570k OCd to 4.2 with a single 7870 xt (Tahiti) for a couple of years now. I haven't had any major issues running games on high-ish settings so far, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some added detail that might be worth upgrading. Thoughts?

I'm getting myself a monster of a pc in a few months but I haven't got the room or money to buy a monitor. I don't want to downgrade the pc for the monitor as I would rather save up and get one and keep the rig I will be getting.

My question is:
How do frame rates work with TVs? My TV has a 400Hz Refresh rate, I'm aware that it doesn't mean 400fps. But I was wondering how many frames I could get? Is it locked to 60 or loose?

Addnan

Cheap out and get H81 or get Z97 and drop a Broadwell in next year. Agh, hard decision.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£49.57 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£93.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£56.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£27.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.38 @ Amazon UK)
Other: GTX 770 (Already Own)
Total: £302.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-09 12:44 BST+0100

If any UK guys know of any better deals for similar parts let me know. Trying to keep the price down. It's just a backup machine for now at least.

appaws

Banned
Just grabbed a new motherboard and a 4690k based on thread recommendations, and so far it's looking nice. However the recent vram recommendations have me wondering if I should upgrade my 2gb 680 gtx with a 4gb 970 gtx. Any thoughts?

If money is no object, why not? The 970 is an awesome card. But I have to ask....what res are you gaming at?

If you are gaming at 1920x1080....I am not sure if I would jump just yet. That 680 is a pretty damn capable card even still today. Now if you were thinking of moving (or already have) up to 2560x1440, maybe something like one of those Korean IPS monitors, or even a ROG Swift....that would be a different story.

riflen

I'm getting myself a monster of a pc in a few months but I haven't got the room or money to buy a monitor. I don't want to downgrade the pc for the monitor as I would rather save up and get one and keep the rig I will be getting.

My question is:
How do frame rates work with TVs? My TV has a 400Hz Refresh rate, I'm aware that it doesn't mean 400fps. But I was wondering how many frames I could get? Is it locked to 60 or loose?

There is no TV yet on sale (to my knowledge) that can officially accept a true 120Hz PC signal. There are 4K TVs coming very soon that will support 120Hz at 1920x1080, but that's about it.

Outside of that, some HDTVs could conceivably support refresh rates above 60Hz for certain resolutions lower than 1920x1080, but I don't know if anyone here will be able to tell you which. You'll basically have to test with adding custom resolutions/refresh rates in the PC's display control panel. Essentially there is no official support for > 60Hz for the vast, vast majority of HDTVs, as I understand it.

There's some good info here:
http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

Unless you can get the TV to accept an output at > 60Hz, there'll be no tangible benefit to running a game at > 60fps.

The 400Hz mode of your TV is most likely some kind of internal interpolation feature that produces duplicate frames from a 60Hz signal to give the content a different look. You don't want to enable these modes when playing games, because they're designed for viewing non-interactive content and add a ton of latency to what is shown on the screen. Playing games in these modes is usually painful, because it makes the game controls feel extremely laggy.

appaws

Banned
Cheap out and get H81 or get Z97 and drop a Broadwell in next year. Agh, hard decision.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£49.57 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£93.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£56.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£27.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.38 @ Amazon UK)
Other: GTX 770 (Already Own)
Total: £302.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-09 12:44 BST+0100

If any UK guys know of any better deals for similar parts let me know. Trying to keep the price down. It's just a backup machine for now at least.

No question get the Z97 so you can overclock the nads off that little sucker. Then you can drop in an i5 or i7 later.

Unless you can get the TV to accept an output at > 60Hz, there'll be no tangible benefit to running a game at > 60fps.

I'm not bothered about 60fps< gameplay. As long as my TV will be capable of getting 1080p 60fps on pretty much everything. I've checked and it should do.

Thanks for the link, I'll be having a look now.

Pritchardo

Neo Member
Tried asking in the 980 and 970 thread but havn't had a answer. When i go into games it shows i only have 3gb of ram on my 980, anyone know why is this happening?

Specs
I5 2500k
8 gb ram
Gtx 980
Asus p8z68v-lx

Addnan

No question get the Z97 so you can overclock the nads off that little sucker. Then you can drop in an i5 or i7 later.

you can still OC the anniversary Pentium with an H81 board actually, but I'd still go for Z97 for longetivity.

That's my thinking right now. Z97 can throw in a i5/7 later at a £40-50 premium over the H81 which can overclock the anniversary CPU but obviously not a Devil's Canyon or even accept a Broadwell.

Have been planning on doing this for so long. Purchasing has started, no going back now. Will probably buy the rest once my 970s arrive or when deals pop up. White cases for life, even if this fucker is a little ugly. Can't afford the Node right now. Hope it can house a long Gigabyte 770.
wNU4zLZ.png

LordAlu

That's my thinking right now. Z97 can throw in a i5/7 later at a £40-50 premium over the H81 which can overclock the anniversary CPU but obviously not a Devil's Canyon or even accept a Broadwell.

Have been planning on doing this for so long. Purchasing has started, no going back now. Will probably buy the rest once my 970s arrive or when deals pop up. White cases for life, even if this fucker is a little ugly. Can't afford the Node right now. Hope it can house a long Gigabyte 770.
wNU4zLZ.png
According to Cooler Master it can support cards up to 343mm, which is plenty for almost any card out there - even Gigabyte's 770 with the stupid-big Windforce 3X cooler is only 292mm long.

yatesl

Any word on the rumored 8GB 970s? I have a 2GB 770, and with devs deciding that everything needs at least 4GB VRAM (although Mordor played fine at mostly high), I didn't want to pay £300 for a 970 only for a better one to come out weeks after.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member

You can remove the battery and I believe you can only use the Surge protector side of the APC. Some of the batteries on the APCs I use at work die and I just disconnect the battery for a few days until I can get a back up.

It obviously won't work if the power goes out, but it will still work as a surge protector for the time being.

Hindl

Wow just found out about the Microcenter CPU/combo deal. So now I have to choose a mobo. I'm going with a 4790K, and I'm either getting a Gigabyte Z97 UD3H or Z97 SOC-FORCE. The UD3H would be only $90 with this deal, but the SOC-FORCE would be about what I was expecting to pay for the UD3H without the deal. I don't really know much about mobo's and the benefits and cons of each. I want to use this for gaming and programming development, and I'm planning on overclocking. I've heard that the SOC-FORCE is better for overclocking. Also, the SOC-FORCE comes with an SLI Bridge and looks like it can support faster ram speeds. Should I go with that or just stick with the UD3H?

mkenyon

Banned
What do you mean it shows in games that you only have 3GB? Where does it show that?
Wow just found out about the Microcenter CPU/combo deal. So now I have to choose a mobo. I'm going with a 4790K, and I'm either getting a Gigabyte Z97 UD3H or Z97 SOC-FORCE. The UD3H would be only $90 with this deal, but the SOC-FORCE would be about what I was expecting to pay for the UD3H without the deal. I don't really know much about mobo's and the benefits and cons of each. I want to use this for gaming and programming development, and I'm planning on overclocking. I've heard that the SOC-FORCE is better for overclocking. Also, the SOC-FORCE comes with an SLI Bridge and looks like it can support faster ram speeds. Should I go with that or just stick with the UD3H?
UD3H. Arguably better NIC on the UD3H, and there's no tangible benefit to "overclocking" boards for standard cooling solutions. It would be beneficial if you were doing Phase Change or LN2 cooling.

bro1

Banned

I had the SOC-Force and hated it. The UEFI was a PITA and it's ugly as sin. If you are going to do LN2 OCing then go with it, otherwise save your money and get something else (I like Asus).

Pritchardo

Neo Member
What do you mean it shows in games that you only have 3GB? Where does it show that?

UD3H. Arguably better NIC on the UD3H, and there's no tangible benefit to "overclocking" boards for standard cooling solutions. It would be beneficial if you were doing Phase Change or LN2 cooling.

in total war rome 2 in the graphics settings it shows video memory as 3072 mb, this has shown up in other games as well plus can you run it says i have 3.1gb vram. in gpu-z it says 4gb as it should though.

mkenyon

Banned
in total war rome 2 in the graphics settings it shows video memory as 3072 mb, this has shown up in other games as well plus can you run it says i have 3.1gb vram. in gpu-z it says 4gb as it should though.
Perhaps an issue of 32 bit games and/or OS? I've not heard of this issue before.
I've just received a MSI 980 Twin Frozer V, is there any downside to using a 6pin to 8pin connector that was supplied with it?
Yes, it's not as safe as using the 6+2 connector on your PSU.

Acrylic7

Oh man I just got a new job and I'm saving up for Black Friday/Cyber Monday to purchase my PC parts. Going to need help getting the right parts for my rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom