• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Mount & Blade: Warband
2. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
3. MAG
4. Resonance of Fate
5. Civilization 5
6. Alpha Protocol
7. Gran Turismo 5
8. Super Meat Boy
9. Mass Effect 2
10. Infinite Space

Honorable mentions to Bayonetta, Demon's Souls (my GotY last year), Dragon Quest IX, Nier, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Vanquish, and Ys: The Oath in Felghana.

I haven't played enough of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker or Heavy Rain to consider giving either of them my vote.

Salsa

Alright, here it is:

10 - Mass Effect 2 - While it took away the RPG elements that made the first one great, this one i consider to be a totally different beast. Not in the sense that its vastly better (it isnt) but in the sense that it evolved to where the game needed to be. It kept the best part for me out of the first one's RPG experience (The "role-playing") and even perfected it in a way. Sure the Paragon and Renegade system sucks and makes everything black and white with unfair rewards and extremely opposite decisions with no greys. But it pretty much works, and the wonderful and well developed characters cant be argued with, these characters are where the game really shines.

9 - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle - Bosses werent as memorable as the first game but the story remained all the random crazyness and unforgettable dialog the first game had, while at the same time polishing the gameplay mechanics and making the sidequests their own little minigames. Travis Touchdown is the best new character in years.

8 - Bit.Trip.Runner - Addictive gameplay, great difficulty curve, awesome music; the usual Bit.Trip deal wrapped in my favorite gameplay style of the series so far.

7 - Hot Shot Tennis: Get a Grip - Never thought id enjoy an arcade-style tennis game more than Mario Tennis, but this one pulled it off. It was a bit too easy for me at first, but it gets challenging later on and the multiplayer is golden. The gameplay is pretty much perfect from what one could expect out of an arcade-style tennis game, and the fact that basically everything you do rewards you with pieces of clothing makes it addictive in a TF2 kind of way.

6 - Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess - Crack cocaine. This game hits all the right spots that i love about oldschool gaming. The idea is fresh and original while the core mechanics are super tight and easy to get into. Game is quite short but the possibility of doing %100 in each level + Score attack mode makes it impossible to stop playing.

5 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 - More of the same with all the fat cut out. Fair enough, that "fat" is what made the first one better for me. There was a sense of (god forgive me) "epicness" (ugh) in the first one that i didnt quite felt here. But the new mechanics and abilities plus the refined gameplay made this almost as good, and that's saying a lot.

4 - Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - Kept the old traditional style while making important additions and changes that truly makes it feel refreshing and new. It's also a multiplayer RPG done right for the first time. I played the entire game from beggining to end with a friend and it was one of the best gaming experiences of the year. The post-game content kept (and still keeps me) me busy for hours and hours.

3 - Donkey Kong Country Returns - Retro did it yet again. They understood what made the old games so great and added upon that to make it relevant today. Many collectables, fun co-op, great difficulty curve, tight controls (never had a problem with the "shake to roll"), good variety of levels (even though i was kinda disappointed by the lack of water) and a great visual style make it my Wii game of the year.

2 - Picross 3D - Probably my favorite puzzle game since Tetris. Really amazing to see how they reinvented (and perfected as far as im concerned) picross in such a fresh and amazing way. One of the most addictive games of this year, and definetly up there as the one i enjoyed and played the most.

1 - Super Meat Boy - The Best platformer ever made since Super Mario Bros 3 (although comparing them isnt really fair, but just to put out there how much i like it :lol ). The best and tightest controls ever programmed, ever. The short levels, the quick interface that lets you try again thousands of time without you even noticing it, and has you trying again even after you finished said level just to beat it the best way possible, the music, the style, the humor, everything comes together to make one of the games that i enjoyed the most in my whole life, and a contender for one of my favorite games of this gen. To give you an idea; i always hated achievements, and for some reason this game got me doing Iron Man runs of the levels. Some of them i already know like the palm of my hand :lol Truly a masterpiece that goes to show you how much you can do with so little, and how just 2 guys outdid HUGE companies, hundreds of devs, and made a before and after in a genre that will never be forgot and hardly topped.

Those that didnt made the cut:

[X]VVVVVV - Almost forgot this was a 2010 game, but its done now, oh well. Great original mechanic, tight and satisfying gameplay, tough but rewarding difficulty. I dont know how else to describe it other than it being FUN, and addictive.

[X]Lara Croft And the Guardian of Light - (FUUUUUUUUU where do i put this) Best co-op of the year (or the decade at that), it made a really smart use of it, and given how the game is basically designed to play in co-op (instead that just being an option they quickly threw in there) makes it really shine. One of those games that has great replayability but not for the collectibles or anything, but for the sheer fun of it. I could play it again and again and again.

[X]Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - This one took a hit considering i would have to take the game as a whole and the campaign was really terrible, but the multiplayer aspect was some of the best fun ive had this year. I was already having a blast at first and then i started playing a squad with my friends and the real fun began.

[X]Just Cause 2 - The perfect pure sandbox game. It took all the fat out of these types of games and left the fun in. One giant set of fun tools that you can apply whatever way you want.

[X]Metroid: Other M - Sorry Boney. I didnt like the game for a number of reasons, but it was one of the games i enjoyed the most out of 2010 for others. I think the gameplay was tight enough and it definetly felt like Metroid to me. I had no problems whatsoever with the "point wiimote at the screen" to aim, and given how there was a short "slow-mo" moment when you did, aiming was really easy and satisfying. Yeah yeah there's the pixel hunt and the shitty story/character development, but that's why its not in the main list.

[X]Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver - The perfect Pokemon game as far as im concerned. Crystal was my favorite back then and i was glad to see these remakes took the unique aspects and side-stories of it and added even more.

[X]Monster Hunter Trii - The one that was able to got me deep into the series (others tried but failed), after this i went back and started really enjoying the PSP ones. So much stuff to do and styles to master that the addictive nature is pretty much ridiculous.

and im probably forgetting more..

Kydd BlaZe

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Heavy Rain
4. God of War 3
5. Limbo
6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
7. Halo: Reach
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops
9. Bayonetta
10. Darksiders

1. Alan Wake ; Obviously one of those true love/hate game, put me on the love side. I think it's just amazing fun from beginning to end, the story is interesting, the scenarios, while arguably repetitive, are tense and exciting. The DLC makes it even better and I am still left wanting more.

2. MAG ; By far my most played multiplayer game of the year. The teamwork required to be successful and the large scale battles are both high points. When you have a good team working against another good squad, it's amazing.

3. Split Second ; Arcade racing at its finest, great controls, fantastic visuals, exciting moments, in many ways to me it's a better Burnout than Burnout.

4. Hydro Thunder Hurricane ; Great year for racers, HTH was a blast on Xbox Live, with almost always a super exciting finish to every race. Really good controls and fun track design.

5. Limbo ; Amazing immersive experience with fantastic visual and sound design and interesting yet not overly frustrating puzzles, played in two sittings in the dark. Somehow forgot this in my first list, edited to include.

6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; A great continuation of ACII, so glad that another amazing single-player adventure came so quickly after ACII.

7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; Finally Castlevania is in 3D and its good, been waiting for years for something like this and it didn't disappoint.

8. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; Someone finally realized again that mountains, beaches, forest, etc., are good for a NFS game. Thank you Criterion.

9. Darksiders ; A great early year surprise, can't get enough of quality 3D action/adventure like this

10. Epic Mickey ; This is a hugely flawed game, no doubt about it. It feels like it came directly out of a time warp from the year 2001 or something. Yet as a huge Disney fan, I feel there is enough cool stuff here to make it worthy of a point. Conceptually it's an amazing idea and the execution just doesn't fully measure up. But I had enough fun with the locales and references and adventuring that I put it here.

x. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands ; aka Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Game. A great return to form that probably sticks to the Sands of Time formula a little too much to feel truly fresh, but still delivers fun platforming.

x. Lost Planet 2 ; Another massively flawed game that for some reason I had quite a bit of fun with.

EDIT: Edited to include limbo, which somehow I had forgotten although I intended to list it.

markao

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ;
2. Mass Effect 2 ;
3. Super Meat Boy ;
4. Civilization 5 ;
5. Mafia 2 ;
6. Minecraft ;
7. Metro 2033 ;
8. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat ;
9. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ;
10. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom ;

x. The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom ;
x. Just Cause 2 ;
x. Two Worlds 2 ;
x. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ;

ps: Don't have the time right now to add my thoughts on the selected games, but might add that a little later, just wanted to get the list out in time.

stupei

1. Fallout: New Vegas ; While the empty open plains of Nevada had less to explore and poke around in than Washington DC, this game still felt like a real world with its own history and locations that had been around long before I got there and would continue on without me. The new faction system and the ability to disguise myself mixed with improved balance for skills and perks made this a playground that I wanted to go back to over and over again.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; Sure, there's less control over stats and loot, and maybe that's enough to sour some people on the experience, but for me Mass Effect was always about the cinematic journey of my own personal Shepard and the sequel took this premise and managed to elevate it. The ability to interrupt a douchebag by shooting him in the face or kicking him out a window makes all other dialogue trees feel stale by comparison.
3. Red Dead Redemption ; The world and characters in Red Dead Redemption are so believable that for the first time in a Rockstar game I felt bad enough about the mayhem available to me that I didn't go on any crazy rampages. Not once. But thankfully since the game provided me with all kinds of animals to kill, my thirst for blood and gore remained quenched.
4. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; For me, 2010 will always be the year that I started watching professional StarCraft tournaments. I can't think of any other game with mechanics so solid that I could take this much pleasure in watching other people play it, over and over.
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Last year's Assassin's Creed title was such a massive improvement over its predecessor that it seemed inevitable that Brotherhood would pale in comparison. Boy, was I wrong. The single player alone would have gotten it on this list, but unique and innovative multiplayer truly puts it over the top.
6. Alan Wake ; While the combat could get a little redundant and some of the chapters dragged a little, I still came away from this experience really loving everything about the game as a whole and hyped for even the slightest possibility of a sequel. Couldn't get the music out of my head for weeks.
7. Bayonetta ; This has never been my genre of choice. Sure, I like the cinematic experience of something like God of War, but when it comes to anything that really wants me to memorize a slew of combos I just don't have that kind of time or patience anymore. For Bayonetta, I not only made an exception but actually loved every second of it.
8. Super Meat Boy ; Platforming that demands precision and dedication mixed with nostalgia and a pretty catchy soundtrack to boot.
9. Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse ; I wouldn't have thought it possible, but Telltale actually managed to innovative on the point and click genre, at least in part. The new approaches to storytelling and structure presented here make me so excited for what's to come.
10. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey ; This is how a RPG is supposed to feel: like total crack. It's bad for you, but it's just too good to stop.
x. Trauma Team ; I kind of want one of my favorite games of the year to be just a little less great so that this could make the Top Ten, because it really deserves more praise and attention. If you own a Wii and haven't played this game yet, you really are part of the problem.
x. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Manages to take one of the greatest games of this generation and make it even better. The only reason it's not on the list proper is I wanted to reward newer experiences and there is nothing new about Mario being platforming perfection. Another amazingly solid game.
x. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; This almost certainly would have made the list if I'd had more time to play it, but I just didn't get enough time with it to judge it fairly.
x. Pac-Man CE DX ; Plugged in directly to the pleasure centers in my brain.
x. Game Dev Story ; I don't know where the hours went. Literally, they just disappeared.

It's always harder than I think it's going to be. Top three spots have been locked in for about a month and a half, but everything else has been shifting around for a while.

Now to go read over other people's lists to fulfill my curiosity and make me question my own choices all over again.

Sanjay

1. Heroes of Newerth
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam
4. Sid Meier's Civilization V
5. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Super Street Fighter 4
7. Gran Turismo 5
8. Worms Reloaded

Two reminders for everyone:

- TODAY IS THE LAST DAY OF VOTING. Voting ends at midnight PST! Get your votes in today!

- If you want your honorable mentions counted by the parser, you need to delineate them with a "x." before them (no quotes). Other methods will not be counted (though it's really just for fun anyway).

Example:

x. Super Mario Bros.
x. Duck Hunt

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Hey timetokill, I noticed you updated the second post with the games nominated. One of the games on my list (post 1063) is still missing for the post. It is Making History 2: The War of the World. Not that it will affect anything seeing how I am sure I am the only one to list it, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be skipped by the parser.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Hey timetokill, I noticed you updated the second post with the games nominated. One of the games on my list (post 1063) is still missing for the post. It is Making History 2: The War of the World. Not that it will affect anything seeing how I am sure I am the only one to list it, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be skipped by the parser.
Added it. The parser should have still picked it up anyway, the list is mostly so everyone can see the full list of titles nominated. :D So I'm still trying to make sure everything is added to it. Thanks .

Salsa

timetokill said:
- If you want your honorable mentions counted by the parser, you need to delineate them with a "x." before them (no quotes). Other methods will not be counted (though it's really just for fun anyway).

Example:

x. Super Mario Bros.
x. Duck Hunt

Are mine wrong ?

Tailzo

SalsaShark said:
Are mine wrong ?
yes

Sample Ballot
1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.
x. Game K ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.

Do it exactly like that.

SalsaShark said:
Are mine wrong ?

Just the honorable mention part is.

The rest is fine (the parser can pick up different list formats, but the honorable mention part has to be listed with a x. if I recall)

Yeef

jjasper said:
Just wondering can you change your vote once it is cast or are they final?
You can change your votes by either editing your post or making a new post with your updated list.

1. Final Fantasy XIII; Easily the game of the year. The combat in the game is absolutely incredible, and the entire experience was like a non-stop roller coaster ride that kept compelling me to move forward.
2. Mass Effect 2; While the game may have streamlined a few too many things, the improvements to the game play, as well as the amazing cast and the incredible locations I was visiting still made this game surpass the original in my mind.
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep; They finally made combat in a Kingdom Hearts game work, which says a lot. The command board sucked up far too much of my time, and I think the game had a great mix of locations, even if it suffered from the typical KH problem of there being almost no NPCs there.
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns; While it falls short of the original trilogy, this is still the 4th best 2D platformer ever made. Retro did an amazing job at creating a new DKC experience, with plenty of variety in game play, and intense difficulty.
5. Out of the Park Baseball 11; The best sports game franchise just keeps getting better. Like every game in the series since 2, this absorbed far, far too much of my free time.
6. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth; While not quite as amazing as the last couple of games, I felt like they did a great job at really beefing up the way investigating in the series works, and the story is the tightest narrative in an Ace Attorney game yet.
7. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey; The atmosphere is incredible, the game is challenging, and they have everything that makes these games so great in one small package.
8. Arc Rise Fantasia; Easily the most overlooked game of the year. The combat is both enjoyable and complex, with the game trickling out the various things going on in combat at a good rate. The story, in spite of the horrid localization, is actually pretty good, and the characters were all likable. And the music speaks for itself.
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2; It does a great job at iterating on the first game, but I just feel like it doesn't have quite the same level of magic for me. Maybe it's just because I dislike the world map replacing the traditional hub area of 3D Mario games.
10. Civilization V; It's still early for me to pass final judgment on this game (as I got it for Christmas), but it's another Civ game, and I've been having a blast with it so far. While I miss religion, I feel like the improvements they've made to combat and the military game are incredible.
x. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
x. Dragon Quest IX

This was an incredibly strong year. It pains me to not be able to even include my honorable mentions, as they probably would have made my Top 5 in most other years.

castlegar

1. Mass Effect 2 ; As a sequel to a game whose concept and potential I enjoyed rather its execution, I thought Mass Effect 2 met the mark more than admirably. I have never been so enthralled with a universe and its individual pieces (characters, locations, narrative) since Star Wars. Adding to that, the gameplay was surprisingly enjoyable and was a huge step forward for what should be an exciting franchise to watch evolve.
2. Limbo ; Simple and elegant, but one of the most powerful media experiences I've had in a long time. Instead of what's presented and told, it's what's only suggested and left up to the users own conclusion - the brutal, dark world of Limbo teases you with its workings and reason, and leaves you with grim curiousity as to why things are the way they are within the game and its narrative. As well, the game's puzzles are smart and well-placed throughout the world, carrying the boy's dark situation along in interesting and compelling ways, never seeming too 'game-y' or there simply for effect.
3. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; Oh shit! I'm interested in Castlevania again! Not only that, but it looks goddamn amazing. This reboot serves the long-stagnating franchise on a new platter, with strong gameplay and newly-interesting fiction. This one hit all the right notes for me, and probably would have been higher if not for its poorly-thought-out plot delivery
4. Bayonetta ; Fun/weird as shit. That's all
5. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn ; A great return to a classic franchise. Gameplay improvements are fitting for the design and platform, graphics are fantastic and much-improved, and the writing throughout is surpisingly strong (as needed, with so goddamn much of it). Highly enjoyable, and when I say that I mean actually enjoyable - highly charming and brought a huge grin to my face
6. Halo: Reach ; All the necessary improvements were made, and the classic formula remains incredibly fun and compelling. Not much to say, it's Halo, and that's a great f'ing thing
7. Dance Central ; I've never invited friends over to specifically come play a game, but Dance Central made me do it. Loads of fun, great song list, and a beacon for what can be achieved on the Kinect
8. God of War 3 ; Bro-est game of the year
9. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ; Travis Touchdown remains one of the best new characters introduced to video games in the last decade. The world around him is appropriately fitting and always a pleasure to experience, too. Improvements on gameplay and presentation make this easily one of my favorite experiences of the year
10. Enslaved ; Went into this thinking it was going to be mediocre, but came out wanting more of the characters and the unique post-apocolyptic world that has been crafted. Some of the best writing and acting all year, and gameplay that serves them fine. Sequel: want
x. Infinity Blade ; I really like what's there, but there's not enough of it. More please, Chair
x. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; For me, extremely enjoyable in small doses. It's like an emergency shot of fun whenever I need it, but at most that. Need to put more time into it, for sure

Aon

1. Metro 2033
2. Mass Effect 2
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
4. The Precursors
5. Civilization 5
6. Heavy Rain
7. Minecraft
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Deadly Premonition
10. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

1. Football Manager 2011
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Just Cause 2
4. FIFA 11
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Civilization 5
7. Game Dev Story
8. God of War 3
9. Crackdown 2
10. Mod Nation Racers

1. Nier
2. Darksiders
3. BioShock 2
4. Lara Croft and the Gaurdian of Light
5. Super Meat Boy
6. Joe Danger
7. Cladun: This is an RPG
8. Game Dev Story
9. Just Cause 2
10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

x. VVVVVV
x. Metro 2033
x. 3D Dot Game Heroes
x. Red Dead Redemption
x. Cut the Rope
x. Piczle Lines
x. Tilt to Live
x. Limbo

DSc

1. God of War 3
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. BioShock 2
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. DJ Hero 2
10. Singularity

Poigea

1. God of War 3 ; Love the GoW formula, didn't think this was neccesarily better than the other games in the series, but I still loved playing through it. Thought there were some great boss fights and moments. My jaw hit the floor plenty of times during the game.
2. Singularity ; Felt a little like Bioshock, but I loved the story and gameplay. I was surprised how good the game turned out as I hadn't heard much about it before I rented it. It is a shame this game wasn't handled better.
3. Game Dev Story ; Was so happy for the Android port. I probably sunk more time into this than any other game this year. The game may be a little easy once you figure out the mechanics, but I don't know how many times I have said "I will quit after I release this game..." and I am still playing it.
4. Heavy Rain ; Really appreciated the diffrerent approach the game took. Thought the story fell apart in the end, but the first half of the game was fantastic. I really liked the game play and look forward to whatever comes next from Quantic Dream.
5. Need for Speed: Hout Pursuit ; Really fun game. Glad that it wasn't open world, really took me back to the good old days of arcade racers.
6. Super Meat Boy ; Just plain fun. Best platformer I have played in awhile.
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West ; Definitely not perfect and too short, but I enjoyed what was there. The gameplay was fun enough and the story kept my interest for the most part. I enjoy Ninja Theory's style.
8. Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip! ; Didn't play many portable games this year, but this was great. Nice for short bursts of gameplay, but I would end up playing it for hours while traveling,
9. Mass Effect 2 ; Didn't like this nearly as much as the first game, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good game. I was disappointed, but looking back it was still fun and enjoyable.
10. Sports Champions ; Spent hours with this game. The table tennis especially was fantastic. Weird experience to be dripping sweat, screaming at the TV after beating the last guy in table tennis.

X. Just Cause 2 ; Great open world game. Thought the graphics were especially good and the gameplay was fun.
X. VVVVVV ; Just got this in the Steam sale and haven't beaten it yet, but I am loving the mechanics so far.
X. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; I wanted to love this game. I tried and tried, but it was such a frustrating experience. It was ALMOST great and I hope there is a sequel. Actually made me appreciate God of War 3 even more.

Dave Long

Banned
Played Goldeneye 007 quite a lot this weekend and it belongs in my list. Wow. What a great local multiplayer shooter! The world needs more of them.

Coverly

1. Bayonetta
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Enslaved
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Alan Wake
6. Die2nite
7. Starcraft 2
8. Game Dev Story
9. Dance Central
10. Metro 2033

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Mega Man 10
4. Deadly Premonition
5. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
6. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
7. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
8. Limbo
9. 3D Dot Game Heroes
10. The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

1. Deadly Premonition ; The most innovative open world game in years. Impeccable writing, excellent pacing, and a masterfully subtle sense of humor sprinkled throughout the entire experience.
2. Heavy Rain ; Unexpectedly immersive given that it's a third person game. Certain scenes were more tense than anything I've seen in either games or movies. As soon as UPS delivered it, I played it straight through with zero breaks, then immediately started a new game.
3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Very much a refinement of Assassin's Creed 2, but AC2 is among my favorite games of all time so wild horses couldn't have kept me away. If it weren't so game-y and didn't dissuade you from doing missions however you wanted, it may have broken the top two.
4. Digital: A Love Story ; Such an original setting - starts off seemingly mundane and transforms into something so much more.
5. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; Utterly terrifying - so much so that I haven't finished it and can barely play more than half an hour at a time. The pinnacle of immersion this year.
6. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction ; I much prefer the stealth-focused Splinter Cell games, but the aggressive approach in Conviction clicked with me anyway. While the SP is excellent, it really shines when you get to the co-op only campaign and the MP that uses NPCs to create a highly dynamic experience. Wasn't thrilled about the visual style at first but quickly came to appreciate it in the context of the story.
7. Monday Night Combat ; The first shooter to rival Team Fortress 2 since it launched. Per-match upgrade system, weapon design, focus on clearing paths for robots rather than getting frags, importance of teamplay, and admirable post-release support made this an incredible value for $15 and I haven't even bothered with Blitz yet. Double-dipping on this was a no-brainer.
8. Hustle Kings ; A perfect game. 1080p and 60 FPS on ancient console tech - looks great, plays great - everything you could want in a pool game. Not to mention the Youtube support, custom soundtracks, Move support added in (haven't tried it) - VooFoo definitely set the bar for downloadable games on a technical level and delivered stellar gameplay to boot.
9. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Couldn't stop playing this upon release. Teamplay-focused shooters are incredibly rewarding, especially those where you can get to the top of the scoreboard on a winning team without having a positive K/D ratio. The number of tactical options available to you at any given time is almost overwhelming. This might have been higher if it had no single player whatsoever - rather forgettable.
10. Super Meat Boy ; Sublime controls, physics, momentum, and level design. Focused around skillful precision rather than memorizing arbitrary death traps (for the most part) thus making it one of very few games involving "high scores" or "fastest times" that managed to suck me in.

x. Alpha Protocol ; The linearity was unfortunate but the customization, branching paths, writing, and voice acting kept me going until the end.
x. Toy Soldiers ; The definitive tower defense game as far as I'm concerned. Loved the hybrid shooter elements and the originality of the premise.
x. Picross 3D ; Flawless execution and tons of downloadable levels = pure addiction. Can't tear myself away.

Note: I'm not going to list Minecraft because it was first available in 2009, and it's still in beta. If this weren't the case, it would probably be my number three.

Yeef

ZZMitch said:
Yay Steam sales!

Added Toki Tori and Bad Company 2 to my top 10... sorry Angry Birds and Super Scribblenauts!
Obviously, I didn't read ever post in the thread, but it's nice too see at least one other person has this on their list. :]

Nafai1123

Banned
1. Gran Turismo 5
3. God of War 3
4. Darksiders
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Bioshock 2
7. Angry Birds
8. Super Meat Boy

Guess I haven't played that much this year. Trying to get the urge to play Heavy Rain and Dead Rising 2.

Wowbagger

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. God of War 3
3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
5. Darksiders
6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
7. Bioshock 2
8. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
9. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
10. Dead Nation

Keikoku

Banned
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Assassin's Creed : Brotherhood
4. God of war III
5. Halo Reach
6. Alan Wake
7. Vanquish
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
9. Limbo
10. Darksiders

Veelk

Banned
1. Bayonetta ; As one of the most popular picks for 2010, what can I say that hasn’t been already said? It’s an excellent package, it’s dripping with charm from every orifice, Bayonetta is one of the most fun characters in gaming, and the depth of combat system eclipses all other action games. If you manage to master it and have if flow just right, it’s pure gaming euphoria. Nothing is as satisfying as getting a pure platinum trophy at the end of it all. It is the first game to release this year, and set a standard that no other game has quite measured up to.

2. Vanquish ; The people at Platinum Games are truly amazing. They released 2 games and both deserve a place on everyone’s GotY list. Vanquish is the kind of game that becomes more and more enjoyable the more you play it. You’ll play it like a regular TPS at first, and that’s a mistake, but once you start experimenting with what’s possible with the mechanics it provides, you’ll be slowing down time to shoot a rocket as it exits the gun barrel of a giant robot, making it blow up in his face before you powerslide and kick him down and emptying your shotgun rounds between his eyes. And that’s what it’s all about.

3. Halo: Reach ; I LOVE Halo, and Reach delivered the best iteration of it. It’s got everything, a huge sandbox for you to play in, some of the best AI that I’ve ever seen in a game, some truly incredible graphics at times, a great MP experience that is constantly improving itself, Firefight, Forge World, and great fun to be had with it all. There are things that hurt it, like a lack of huge vehicle combat from Halo 3’s campaign and a certain armor ability in MP, but on the whole, it’s brimming with content. It’s hard to imagine someone not finding anything to enjoy here.

4. Mass Effect 2 ; I loved this game. Characters here are more likable and well developed than in almost any game. People often complain about Mass Effect was rarely about completing the mission for me. It was about exploring the universe and its citizens, and ME2 did that incredibly well. Besides, you save the world hundreds of times over a hundred different games. The difference between those games and ME is that I care about saving it, rather than just doing it as a sort of check list in completing the game.

5. Alan Wake ; I think this is the best game that’s totally underappreciated by the community at large. The story it presents is amazing, but it rather than have it handed to you, it requires the player to stumble on it’s true nature by himself. You have to consider the titanic implications of the reality altering power of the writers and what it means to the life of Alan Wake. PA described it as an MC Escher drawing made in narrative form, and there is no description more apt. Besides its meta, multilayered story, it’s atmosphere is one of the best in gaming, with completely awesome moments in the later parts of the story, and the ever lovable Barry Wheeler. I truly hope it gets the appreciation it deserves some day, and I hope that whoever decided to release it the same day as Red Dead Redemption learns from his mistake.

sohois

Left my voting til late since i assumed i would play more games by now but didnt end up finishin anything new. Oh well, doubt it would have changed anything:

1. Alpha Protocol
2. Infinite Space
3. Bayonetta
4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011
5. Gran Turismo 5
6. Mafia 2
7. Yakuza 3
8. Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
9. Heavy Rain
10. Resonance of Fate

Before making this list i thought this year had been terrible for games; whenever i would go to think of my games of the year all i would come up with were AP & ISpace and i didnt think i would be able to name 10 games for a list, yet there were a few more games i could have given the 10th spot to. I suppose i should say that for me there is a big drop off between 5th & 6th places and even those in the top 5 would struggle to place well in other years. Nonetheless, things are a bit better than i had feared with regards to gaming.

1. Nier ; My biggest surprise of the year. The combat was satisfying, the story and characters were interesting, and the soundtrack was one of the best of the year. Definitely rough around the edges, though.
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; I was very hesitant going into this, despite my love for Retro Studios. Luckily, they disproved my doubts and produced a fantastic platformer. The flow of the game is just better than any platformer I have played.
3. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; A tense atmosphere with some neat puzzles makes this a remarkable game, especially considering the small team responsible for it.
4. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor ; I just started playing this a few days ago, and it is so good. 60 FPS exploding goodness.
5. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep ; A good iteration of the series that should satisfy me enough until Kingdom Hearts 3 finally frakin' comes out.
6. Bioshock 2 ; The gameplay was a bit better than the first, but what really sold me was the narrative. The ending had a big emotional payoff for me. I love the little sisters and Eleanor. <3
7. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ; Lacked a bit of the charm the first game had, but a very enjoyable experience.
8. Metroid: Other M ; Despite all of the flaws (control issues, design issues, script issues), I still really enjoyed this. I love Metroid, damn it!
x. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; It just felt like more of the same, which isn't a bad thing. The presentation was weaker than the first game. The underuse of Rosalina was disappointing. :( It was good, but failed to distinguish itself from its predecessor.

1. Bayonetta
2. Deadly Premonition
3. Perfect Dark
4. Arc Rise Fantasia
5. Super Street Fighter 4
6. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
7. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
8. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
9. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
10. Nier

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
1. Picross 3D
2. Demon's Souls
3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
4. Yakuza 3
5. Robot Unicorn Attack
Everything else I played this year was avarage at best :<

bonesquad

1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Joe Danger
4. DJ Hero 2
5. Darksiders
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes
7. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
10. Super Street Fighter 4

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
4. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
5. Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
6. Snoopy Flying Ace
7. Kirby's Epic Yarn
8. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
9. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
10. WarioWare D.I.Y.

Chris R

Since it is a script doing stuff, I'm guessing results will be a quick turn around? I know analysis will take some time, but initial results can be posted before any analysis is done :p

1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
4. Pokemon Soul Silver
5. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
6. Ace Attorney: Investigations
7. Super Street Fighter IV
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
10. BioShock 2

rhfb said:
Since it is a script doing stuff, I'm guessing results will be a quick turn around? I know analysis will take some time, but initial results can be posted before any analysis is done :p
No, it won't be too long. Day or two. Last year I had pretty much kept up with the voting even while hand-counting. The main difference this year is there will be more "stuff" in the results thread, so formatting and presenting all of that will take a little time.

polg

1. Heavy Rain
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Bayonetta
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
6. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
7. Costume Quest
8. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
9. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
10. Final Fantasy XIII

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
rhfb said:

Theres atleast a dozen posts wrong on ever page i'm sure :(

HolyCheck said:
Theres atleast a dozen posts wrong on ever page i'm sure :(

Not really. The parser has been updated a lot by Cheesemeister since the thread started (and I've made note of those updates in the OP). I've looked at some preliminary results and basically everyone's votes are being picked up unless they weren't numbered or something. There will be a little clean up but not much.

The only thing that might not be tallied for everyone is the honorable mentions, which is happening if people do not use the "x." format. It's the same as if people weren't using numbers to delineate their list -- there's not really a way for the parser to know those are honorable mentions. That said, the honorable mentions are really for fun so it won't affect the final results.

1. Blur ; I never imagined a silly commercial about a surrogate Toad wanting to drive licensed cars would constitute a serious gaming promise, but Blur is unquestionably the best Mario Kart game Nintendo will never make. Bizarre does style as substance racing better than anyone, with a d&b soundtrack and urban infused aesthetic pulsing through the framework of smart, balanced gameplay featuring dynamic power-ups and Call of Duty perks. If it's Mario Kart for adults, it's because Bizarre responds to the culture around them, and not just gaming culture, but car culture, music culture. They synthesize and reinvent and make new. They don't have the luxury of falling back on hermetic brands. The racing fence in that silly commercial appears to me now as a prison wall, Toad trapped and helpless and watching the world pass him by.

2. Lost Planet 2 ; Ambitious but flawed, the confidence with which Lost Planet 2 pursues its goals nevertheless propels it near the top of my list. A co-operative shooter that demands real co-operation, a branching and dynamic adventure that encourages replayability and variation in player decisions. Even on my third time through the game, I discovered new paths or secrets or optional mission objectives I didn't know previously existed. The many weapons and creative mech designs help constitute this game's embarrasment of riches. Moreover, I admire Lost Planet 2 because, contrary to the popular understanding of modern Capcom's modus operandi, this game knows its audience. The Red Eye boss battle sent many gamers running to return their copies, but for me, it was the gaming highlight of the year.

3. 3D Dot Game Heroes ; The Legend of Zelda franchise, synthesized, reinterpreted and contextualized as a monument of memory and nostalgia, and a fundamental part of our gaming identity. The game's patchwork plot and pixel art aesthetics render familiar retro gaming motifs not as they really were, but as they exist today in our collective conscious and culture. The game takes stock of the medium, most obviously in the joking intro featuring a 2D kingdom renovating itself into 3D to attract more tourists. 3D Dot Game Heroes is not simple homage or pastiche but a knowing product of cultural texts, an assessment both of the classic games in question the way they shaped the people who played them. If you don't believe me, look for the developers themselves to appear in the game in a secret cave, making their thematic intentions more explicit. Also, you know, it's fun. Refreshing to play a Zelda game that sends the player through the first dungeon within the first hour, as opposed to the nonsensical busywork of a Twilight Princess.

4. Perfect Dark ; Rescued from the legacy of memory packs and poor framerates and blurry textures, Perfect Dark XBLA is an interesting reminder of the forward thinking design principles that informed many of Rare's best games. In this new light, it is once again obvious just where Perfect Dark Zero went wrong, how it misses some of the original's most important lessons, the non-linear and dynamic approach to mission design, the focus on replayability and player empowerment. Perfect Dark continues to do things most games today seem too timid to even consider, but I'm afraid it may look nothing more than archaic to gamers weened on the focus tested, market driven blockbusters that polish away any semblance of personality or identity. Perfect Dark XBLA is a relic of the past, but it speaks of the future.

5. Kinect Sports ; And even today, despite their arguable success or failure with recent titles, Rare seems to house a group of technical wizards who code circles around other developers. Of all the games in Kinect's software launch line-up, Kinect Sports is the one that delivers best on promises (alongside Dance Central, perhaps, though I've only played the demo of that one). The tracking is better than I've seen in other titles, the games are better conceived and executed, the online is fun and addictive. Rare's humor even shines through at times, most notably in the hilariously deployed licensed soundtrack. However, the game does admittedly put Rare in a bit of an awkward position moving forward. The game is good for what it is, but is this the kind of software on which Rare should be devoting its talent and time? I'm not even talking about Kinect development specifically, but rather the thematic content of such games. We're on the other side of the world from the artistry of a Viva Piñata.

6. Mass Effect 2 ; Probably the most disposable piece of software on my list, but I have to make some room for pure entertainment. Mass Effect scratches the same kind of itch for which I often turn to television serials and police procedurals. It features relentless plot and character and scene building, wrapped in lightweight and fun sci-fi ideas. I don't see much imagination in the overarching narrative, to be honest, but the focus on character and interpersonal drama this time around provided an engaging sense of inner space in the midst of ridiculous galaxy wide threats.

7. Pinball FX 2 ; A fun pinball game with good production values and a great social atmosphere. The leaderboard integration and stuff like wizard scores helps to foster a competitive spirit while also retaining a sense of community and collaboration. Simply a hell of a good time, and one of the better pieces of software I've seen leverage the social nature of the Xbox Live service.

8. The Path of Go ; I haven't spent much time with this to be honest, but so far it seems like a solid simulation of Go, and the single player mixes puzzles and middlegame challenges with standard games to teach new players about different aspects of the game. The only thing it seems to lack is instruction in opening theory.

9. Costume Quest ; Another game steeped in nostalgia, echoing childlike imagination with the wisdom of adulthood. The gameplay itself is overly simplistic, but it's nevertheless refreshing to play something with a strong thematic core, and not merely a solipsistic retread of the usual gaming juvenilia. Double Fine's games feed on the world around them, and reflect that world back, and Costume Quest features the same sensibilities for writing and humor I've always appreciated from the studio and Tim Schafer's previous games. "Your costumes celebrate SCIENCE and THE MONARCHY. How is that patriotic?"

10. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; The single player is the usual exercise in wrongheaded political spectacle, and I'm at the point where endless stat screens and experience bars amount to communicative nonsense, but the raw mechanics and design of the multiplayer experience are a reminder of the smart ideas that made the series great. An opponent takes cover behind a wall. I spray bullets into said wall, kill opponent. Every shooter needs soft cover.

forgot all about this:

here is mine:

1-Dead Rising 2
2-Red Dead Redemption
3-Super Mario Galaxy 2
4-Donkey kong country returns
5-call of duty black ops
6-need for speed hot pursuit
7-Final fantasy 13
8-Metroid other m
9-NBA 2K11
10-Mass Effect 2