• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

While we're waiting, here are some numbers no one cares about! (probably with an error margin of 5% or so)
75 people had Nier on their list, and 12 had it in first place.

Ydahs

Legendary Warrior said:
It'll likely be the games that end up winning anyway.
Though that's why I'd like to see it, in case the most voted for game wasn't GotY. It would be a nice comparison and a good indicator at the type of games GAF plays.

sphinx

the piano man
7 Mentions for Etrian Odyssey 3: the Drowned City

3 times 1st place
2 times 5-7 place
2 Times honorable mentions

:-/.....

Gaf disappoints once again.

Durante said:
While we're waiting, here are some numbers no one cares about! (probably with an error margin of 5% or so)
75 people had Nier on their list, and 12 had it in first place.

79, actually. Just sit tight for the numbers! It's gonna be a doozy, I promise.

Haunted

Cheesemeister requests:

I want to see how many people listed 10 titles (or a Top 5, or just 3 etc.), so we can bury any attempt to cap voting at less than 10 entries in the future. :p

I want to see how the percentages look for Japanese, European and US games. (Although I already know the answer and it's surely depressing).

GhaleonQ said:
But it's pretty much the same as last year's!
The industry is truly out of ideas. :(

Haunted said:
I want to see how many people listed 10 titles (or a Top 5, or just 3 etc.), so we can bury any attempt to cap voting at less than 10 entries in the future. :p

I want to see how the percentages look for Japanese, European and US games. (Although I already know the answer and it's surely depressing).

Duly noted.

Durante said:
While we're talking about requests, will it be possible to get the raw data? (As a csv or something?)

Yeah, we're going to post all the data, don't worry.

Cheesemeister said:
79, actually. Just sit tight for the numbers! It's gonna be a doozy, I promise.
You know, you just convinced me to look into NIER.

Visuals don't look that bad in my opinion and some of GAF seems to love so I hope it doesn't dissapoint me. Of to finding a cheap copy!

Too bad I forgot to vote, really wanted to add a vote for Bayonetta.

Ashes

Banned
Prophet Steve said:
To you yes, but even game critics do not praise the game a lot this time and I do not think most of GAF are more positive about it.

will be a shame... for such a high profile game and for the developers perhaps... It didn't make my top ten neither... :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I wouldn't mind seeing the numbers on 999 as well, it seemed to come up more then I thought.
Actually, it would be awesome if the entire database of information could be uploaded...

The_Technomancer said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the numbers on 999 as well, it seemed to come up more then I thought.
Actually, it would be awesome if the entire database of information could be uploaded...

Just wait, I'm putting together all sorts of crazy stats for you. Last call for requests.

EDIT: Not specific game result requests, but for overall stats to be included in the final results.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cheesemeister said:
Just wait, I'm putting together all sorts of crazy stats for you. Last call for requests.

EDIT: Not specific game result requests, but for overall stats to be included in the final results.

Oh man, this is going to be the best bit, screw who wins! STATS!

I'm trying to think of something crazy... how hard do you want?

Most represented developer? publisher? most votes for them? lol

HolyCheck said:
Oh man, this is going to be the best bit, screw who wins! STATS!

I'm trying to think of something crazy... how hard do you want?

Most represented developer? publisher? most votes for them? lol

That's the spirit!

Lagspike_exe said:
When are the results getting published?

When they're ready, maybe 24-48 hours.

Dabanton

Ashes1396 said:
cod:blops not making the top 20 will be shame...

Not really.

Other than it's MP it was turgid.

Cheesemeister said:

Can we have most voted for motion game?

Tailzo

Is it possible to get stats of "most often mentioned in honorable mentions"? Or A top 3 games only released in Europe during 2010?

Dabanton said:
Can we have most voted for motion game?

That's pretty broad, given that there's an entire console dedicated to motion.

Tailzo said:
Is it possible to get stats of "most often mentioned in honorable mentions"? Or A top 3 games only released in Europe during 2010?

We have the numbers of honorable mentions (that were properly formatted, of course).
There weren't too many new-to-Europe games that I saw, though I didn't specifically mark them.

Fredescu

Cheesemeister said:
Is it easy enough to see if the top 20 would have been any different using the old scoring system of 1=10 through to 10=1?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cheesemeister said:
That's pretty broad, given that there's an entire console dedicated to motion.

Things like Most voted for number one, most voted for number 2?

most times voted for? as aposed to most votes (if it differs!)

Guevara

Chinner said:
can someone make a most disappointing game of the year thread?

mass effect 2

I wonder what the most divisive GOTY winner is. If Mass Effect 2 wins, which is possible, it's still probably not as divisive as MGS4.

Lothars

Chinner said:
can someone make a most disappointing game of the year thread?

mass effect 2

they already have I believe, I'll see if I can find the thread but that game is definitely no where to be found.

Chinner

Banned
Guevara said:
I wonder what the most divisive GOTY winner is. If Mass Effect 2 wins, which is possible, it's still probably not as divisive as MGS4.
meh, i reckon if we did a 2008 goty again mgs4 wouldn't win again. give it some time, and the same thing will happen with me2.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some representation of how clustered GAF is. Like to what extent do people who voted CoD:BO also vote for Machinarium (for instance)?
Actually, this would be a very interesting statistic. I'd be interested to see correlations between statistically significant games. I mean, I think the most obvious ones will be around certain platform exclusives, which would just highlight that not everyone has every platform, or, at the very least, that they prefer a certain platform. But it would be interesting nonetheless to see how often certain pairings or clusters emerge.

Fredescu said:
Is it easy enough to see if the top 20 would have been any different using the old scoring system of 1=10 through to 10=1?

Very easy.

HolyCheck said:
Things like Most voted for number one, most voted for number 2?

most times voted for? as aposed to most votes (if it differs!)

Rank frequencies and vote numbers will be included.

I wouldn't mind seeing some representation of how clustered GAF is. Like to what extent do people who voted CoD:BO also vote for Machinarium (for instance)?

As there are 361 games that received points or honorable mentions, that's 130,321 different possible pairings. Do you really want that much data? How about a short list of associated recommendations per title? It might get a bit repetitious, of course.

Guys, if you look at last year's results, you can see some of the types of stats we'll be providing. It will just be a lot more ;) It was always my intent to keep expanding those stat portions, and the parser makes it easy to do so. So don't worry, we have tons of stats coming for you guys. :D

Something we're already doing is a checking to see how much of each list was comprised of certain exclusivities, something I've been calling our "census" data. So we're counting lists that were over 50% Sony platform entries, or 50% Nintendo platform entries, etc.

There's quite a list of stats we're gathering so just sit tight while we format it all and present it for you guys :)

Llyranor

I guess voting is over, but I'll just list my picks and quick thoughts anyway.

1. Bayonetta ; Absolutely love the combat mechanics. So satisfying, and you really feel in control.
2. Mount & Blade: Warband ; Charging or doing archery from atop a horse is great stuff, as is assaulting or defending a sieged castle. Multiplayer is a lot of fun.
3. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor ; Great level and boss design. Really satisfying aiming with the wiimote.
4. Vanquish ; Between boosting and ERS, makes for a very dynamic shooter. Haven't finished it on hard yet, so maybe it'd rank higher when I'm done playing the game properly.
5. Dead Rising 2 ; Love the sandbox in DR. The time limits give it a nice sense of direction and urgency - you can mess around, but you always keep an eye on the deadline. Add co-op to it, and this was a blast to play.
6. Lost Planet 2 ; Love LP1, love co-op. This was an awesome experience. Some scenarios were pretty insane, and the bosses were great. Too many human opponents, however, and the campaign quality probably doesn't match that of the first game (the co-op makes up for it, though). The lack of rapidly-degenerating T-Eng took away from the sense of urgency of the first game as well.
7. Halo: Reach ; Best Halo campaign, best Halo game in the main series, with added Firefight (though I wouldn't necessarily rank it above ODST, which I like for different reasons, since it plays pretty differently as a non-Spartan).
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Great co-op platforming and puzzling, and level design. Fantastic game.
9. Deathsmiles ; I love Cave shmups. This is my favorite one this year (Esp2 has some nice mechanics, but a bit tooo hard for me; and I'm not too fond of how you aim your spirit thing in Guwange, though the game itself is quite good too). I'm still trying to 1cc all the missions at lvl3, though (but without suicide bullets - that's too much for me).
10. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 – Chaos Rising ; Improved campaign from the vanilla game, and the new characters added to Last Stand added a lot (we basically broke the game with them - and managed to clear lvl 20; very satisfying!).

Haven't played Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet (still playing the 1st one), and I'm waiting for Virtual On: Force to arrive. Those two could have potentially made the list if I had more time.

My favorite game this year was Airborne Assault: Highway to the Reich, but it wasn't released this year. Best strategic/tactical combat mechanics in any game I've played. I haven't played Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge (same series, released this year) properly yet, so it would have easily gotten #1 as well if I had gotten around to playing it.

Cheesemeister said:
As there are 361 games that received points or honorable mentions, that's 130,321 different possible pairings. Do you really want that much data? How about a short list of associated recommendations per title? It might get a bit repetitious, of course.
The only problem I see with this might be that I'd expect a number of the top choices to be highly correlated with other top choices, just by virtue of the fact that they were mentioned so often, so for at least the top choices this probably wouldn't be terribly interesting. Maybe a separate list of the highest correlations would be more interesting. I'd much rather know that Indie Title A - which was only mentioned, say, 25 times - has a 96% correlation with Blockbuster Hit B, than to find out that GOTY has a 63% correlation with Runner-Up. This would, of course, also require some minimum threshold of votes for inclusion, or we'd have plenty of perfect correlation for games with only a mention or two.

SuperBonk

Cheesemeister said:
Very easy.

Rank frequencies and vote numbers will be included.

Yeah, you could do a short list of most associated titles; like which two games showed up together on an individual list the most/with the highest percentage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, okay, here's a complex one: game groupings. A look at how many lists shared more then one game with other lists.
See roughly how homogeneous or diverse the lists were, and on the lists that are fairly similar (probably five or more of the same game) see what patterns show up.

EDIT: I think someone above suggested the same thing, but I think a list based approach is more efficient then a game-based approach that requires so many more combinations. This method can be cut off past a certain point, as we don't necessarily need to know that three lists shared Bayonetta and Professor Layton. Still seems like a bit of a huge problem though, there's got to be a good way to handle this data...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Guevara said:

Nor as divisive as Twilight Princess.

seat

Legendary Warrior said:
I really need to play Nier.
I humbly recommend you play a good game instead.

mr stroke said:
Yeah, and Mass Effect 2 only got three votes, so quit yer trollin', Chinner.

ICallItFutile said:
It's possible there was less voting this year than last looking at the 2009 voting thread.
Seems like it, which surprises me. There were a lot of great releases this year, both big-budget and a few dark horses, like Super Meat Boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom