• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin - new trailer

Charlotte sounds a lot more spunky than expected.

Upon rewatching this trailer, I noticed that Brauner's darling children have one red eye and one green eye each - and both of them have it on different sides. Wonder if it'll become a plot point.

castle007

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Charlotte sounds a lot more spunky than expected.

Upon rewatching this trailer, I noticed that Brauner's darling children have one red eye and one green eye each - and both of them have it on different sides. Wonder if it'll become a plot point.

hmmm, maybe their souls are the same or something.

inthegray

Pureauthor said:
This is how Death should be. Not that wuss we fought in Aria and Dawn.

death.jpg

Snaku

Banned
C- Warrior said:
The characters are the lamest shit ever.

"Who you callin' a kid, punk, mhahaha!"

How the aesthetic designs have ever so steadily fallen since Simon's Quest, my god.

As always, the game looks fun to play (maybe because no other developer is taking on the Symphony of the Night Version 44.23 role) but some of the boss fights are looking a bit repetative. Look, another Death fight, where he floats semi-off the ground in the air and chucks small circular scythes at you... =/ Or another big dog looking boss that shoots single pathed lasers at you in which all you must do is duck to defend from it!! =/

And the two player aspect seems annoying. Castlevania as always been about a solo-affair, and now you have this annoying bitch tagging around with you cluttering up the screen.

If they wanted to add gameplay depth, why couldn't they incorperate the girl's skill list onto the main playable cahracter himself?

PS: The animations seem a bit off as well.

Die monster, you don't belong in this world.

Anyway, the game looks awesome. DS GOTY!

ziran

the character animations are still a bit stiff imo and i don't know about the dual character gameplay, overall it looks decent.

dawn of sorrow was good so i'm definitely giving this a look, especially if yuzo koshiro is helping compose the soundtrack :)

eXistor

Did Brauner say " I´m the master of disaster" ? If so then..omg. Still, Handheld runner-up of the year is confirmed :)

Aurora

eXistor said:
Did Brauner say " I´m the master of disaster" ? If so then..omg. Still, Handheld runner-up of the year is confirmed :)
"...master of this castle."

Still pretty bad though :lol

Zeed

Banned
I just noticed that they changed one of the character's names.

Wasn't it Charlotte Orlean before? Now in the new trailer it's Charlotte Aulin.

The old name was better.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I want to hear: "Hydro STORM!!!" , "NO! This can not be! Arghhhhh!", & "Tranceed Power!" Oh yea, can't forget, "WHAT!?"

I can not wait for this gem. The VA is going to be great. Cheesiness Ftw.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm really looking forward for this game, but about the dual heroes coop thing... i don't know...

I'm playing julius mode on DoS and switching characters is a pain in the ass. Most of the time i don't even want to, i just blaze through as alucard (or julius)...

I wonder if the second character plays as tails on sonic2 (aka, what he does doesn't really matter much). Still, two characters to chose from = meh

Anyway, can't wait for this game to come out. I so want to play it that i busted julius mode out again just for the hell of it.

Jiggy

If this isn't at least the fourth best game of the year, I'll be stunned.
...but, with that said, why have they yet to figure out how to make some decent running animations? It's the only thing they do wrong with this series, and it's really odd since the animation is so good in other respects.

castle007

Banned
PoR will feature co-op play, but it’s not what you think. Players can team up with a friend over the internet or locally, but only for Boss Rush mode. However, one of the more intriguing uses for the Nintendo WiFi Connection is player created shops. This means that hardcore players who search out every item and powerup in the game will be able to sell them to others over the net for crazy prices. But at least some won’t have to spend countless hours tracking down those last few rare drops.

I guess I was right about the co-op being a boss rush mode. And I bet that it has bosses from DOS, because I saw the boss from the tower in one of the screens.

The shop mode sounds awesome

castle007 said:
I guess I was right about the co-op being a boss rush mode. And I bet that it has bosses from DOS, because I saw the boss from the tower in one of the screens.

The shop mode sounds awesome
Now that's a microstansaction I can get behind!

AzureRonin said:
I don't think the voice acting is that bad, it's just what they have to say that's terrible. The dialogue is pretty cheese. I'm pretty sure Charlotte is being voiced by Mae Whitman who I believe is a very good voice actor plus she was on Arrested Development so I'm in love with her.

Interesting. I know I heard Steven Blum as narrator.

castle007

Banned
Zyid said:
Eh? You did? Where?

I posted the pic on the first page.
HOLY ****ING SHIT !!!! This is awesome.

Did you see
Death?? He looks bad ass. And it looks there will be a frankenstein boss in a secret lab
:O Voiceacting is back, I think it is better than SOTN

I guess this is the co-op. :D

I think it is doing a boss rush mode with another person. Although this boss is from DOS.

930294_20060823_screen003.jpg

Zeed

Banned
castle007 said:
I posted the pic on the first page.
Oh, Gergoth from the Condemned Tower, I thought you were talking about Zephyr from the Cursed Clock Tower. Funny how I let that one slip through the mental cracks.

Gergoth was my favorite boss from DoS, but not in boss rush mode, because then you don't have that awesome part where
he shatters the floor and you both plummet down the entire tower you spent so long climbing, fighting even as you fall
, which is probably my favorite moment in the game.

I can't wait until reviewers talk about how much PoR sucks because of the bad voice acting, and goes on to praise SotN in the same sentence.

Also, jeez, why can't they just give us online co-op for the real game, not a minigame?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
AzureRonin said:
I don't think the voice acting is that bad, it's just what they have to say that's terrible. The dialogue is pretty cheese. I'm pretty sure Charlotte is being voiced by Mae Whitman who I believe is a very good voice actor plus she was on Arrested Development so I'm in love with her.

Her?

SantaC

A Link to the Past said:
I can't wait until reviewers talk about how much PoR sucks because of the bad voice acting, and goes on to praise SotN in the same sentence.

Also, jeez, why can't they just give us online co-op for the real game, not a minigame?

you do realize that it's been less than a year since the last castlevania came out right? I think it's pretty much clear that that making a co-co online mode working smoothly would take a lot longer development time.

since this is coming out in just a couple of months, i am fine with a co-op boss rush mode.

Aurora

Zyid said:
Gergoth was my favorite boss from DoS, but not in boss rush mode, because then you don't have that awesome part where
he shatters the floor and you both plummet down the entire tower you spent so long climbing, fighting even as you fall
, which is probably my favorite moment in the game.
That part was totally awesome. Easily my favourite boss too. :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Piper Az said:
Jonathan Morris? So he's not a direct Belmont...Charlotte is a cute character though.

He's the son of Castlevania Bloodlines' John Morris. Supposedly their loosely related to the Belmont clan, hence being able to wield the Vampire Killer. Though, since he's not a true Belmont, he can't wield it effectively from the get-go.

Or some such.

SantaCruZer said:
you do realize that it's been less than a year since the last castlevania came out right? I think it's pretty much clear that that making a co-co online mode working smoothly would take a lot longer development time.

since this is coming out in just a couple of months, i am fine with a co-op boss rush mode.

That doesn't change the fact that Iga was jerking us around talking about co-op, and then talked about co-op missions, which turned out to be multiplayer boss mode.

Bebpo

Banned
SantaCruZer said:

Wait, there's no online co-op for the main game!?!

Is there at least offline co-op? I thought co-op was the big thing that was going to set PoR away from the yearly (and getting more and more tired) CV games.

SantaC

Bebpo said:
Wait, there's no online co-op for the main game!?!

Is there at least offline co-op? I thought co-op was the big thing that was going to set PoR away from the yearly (and getting more and more tired) CV games.

the co-op are online rush mode. IGA neevr said it would be the maingame.

Top Bottom