• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best loot whore game out now?

Seanspeed

Banned
You running Windows '95?

Windows can open zip files natively.

Its Windows 7. I've already got 7zip, but yea, how do I do that? Somebody said I should be able to right click the zip file and there should be an option that says 'extract to', but I honestly didn't have that.

scy

Its Windows 7. I've already got 7zip, but yea, how do I do that? Somebody said I should be able to right click the zip file and there should be an option that says 'extract to', but I honestly didn't have that.

As far as I know, it's just a native part of Windows 7. You should be able to just open .zip files or right-click > Extract by default.

dommynick

Thanks. I'm actually reinstalling Diablo 2 right now. I'll probably be PM'ing you soon if things are still messed up afterwards.

If you're trying to play Eastern Sun and you're using the digital version of Diablo II, you're going to run into one major problem. It's not that hard to fix, but Eastern Sun is not playable unless you do this. It involves mounting an image onto a virtual drive, so I don't if it's cool to talk about it here. Said image isn't a No-CD or anything, it just spoofs the game into a lower version since Eastern Sun is not compatible with the version of Diablo II that the digital version comes packed with, and this is the only way to downgrade the version.

Fitz

How is Titan Quest when it comes to playing solo? I can't really stand the graphics of Diablo 2 but Titan Quest looks fairly appealing, only thing is I'd be playing 100% solo.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is someone trying to run the Quake demo in here?

edit:

If you're trying to play Eastern Sun and you're using the digital version of Diablo II, you're going to run into one major problem. It's not that hard to fix, but Eastern Sun is not playable unless you do this. It involves mounting an image onto a virtual drive, so I don't if it's cool to talk about it here. Said image isn't a No-CD or anything, it just spoofs the game into a lower version since Eastern Sun is not compatible with the version of Diablo II that the digital version comes packed with, and this is the only way to downgrade the version.

Shit just got real

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice to see Titan Quest getting quite a few mentions. I'm hoping Grim Dawn goes into alpha this year.

How is Titan Quest when it comes to playing solo? I can't really stand the graphics of Diablo 2 but Titan Quest looks fairly appealing, only thing is I'd be playing 100% solo.

If you enjoyed playing Diablo solo, you'll enjoy playing Titan Quest solo.

Anno

Titan Quest is really the only one of these games that I feel has come close to equaling Diablo 2 in terms of depth and I loved it as a solo game. I never played D2 online much, though, so I guess I can't really compare things. It suffers from some of the same issues that D2 has (slow start, maybe not the most interesting loot until a bit into the game etc.) but I think it does a lot of stuff better. Better skill system, larger variety of kinds of loot, nice graphics.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is Titan Quest worth it if I don't plan on playing the multiplayer?

Seanspeed

Banned
As far as I know, it's just a native part of Windows 7. You should be able to just open .zip files or right-click > Extract by default.
I really dont have that. Maybe certain versions come with a full version of Winzip while mine was just a trial? I dunno. This is what my options look like:

64t1i.png

I've got the disc version. I'm about to try it again. We'll see.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PC gaming sucks because I don't know how to do basic computing that is applicable to daily usability rather than just gaming!

howdoiunzippedfilesspiderman.gif?

The only way you can't have the function on Windows 7 (not via Winzip or any extra tool like that, they're just handled natively) is if you messed it up yourself by installing software you shouldn't have which overrode the functions and then removed it or similar. No decent known decompression tool like any of those suggested so far (seriously? you don't know what open source is, and have managed to mess up standard Windows features, yet still want to pretend you aren't clueless, and merely have little patience for "pc gaming"?) would do that, they'd add their functions but still leave the default Windows functions alone.

Try setting the .zip file type to "open with" Windows Explorer by default and see if that restores the function.

But yeah even that is not needed for PC gaming, you're trying to enjoy added benefits like mods here, something you usually can't do at all on consoles, yet you're still whining and getting frustrated because a fan mod is not quite as user friendly as a game...

I'm talking strictly as the 'games they presented to me to play at release' mind you but Torchlight had flaws in the gameplay systems that I found really damning.

First and most importantly: The enchanting system was so completely unbalanced that I'm insulted they let it into the game. It immediately destroys the premise of collecting loot to be more powerful.

That's true, but as soon as I realised how broken it was I just stopped using it until they patched it.

Moving on from that crippling problem, I found the skills to be underdesigned. Buffs with durations exactly equal to their cooldowns are not designed at all; it's either up all the time or it has downtime. It's very old-fashioned to try to make needed buffs for character skills as your convoluted money sink and does not make the game more fun. Attack skills were not differentiated enough in their mechanics to allow for multi usage; the characer building favored focusing on one or MAYBE two attack skills and as many passives/buffs as possible. Stats on gear didn't change the way you played at all so once you developed your chosen playstyle (Even if you weren't minmaxed) that's how you played, the entire time.

See this confused me. In dungeon crawlers you basically need three modes of attack; AOE, single-target nuke and bread-and-butter attack which you use for everything else. Torchlight's character system is very much designed around this. For example, I play Vanquisher. My main skills are Hail of Arrows (AOE), Explosive Shot (nuke) and auto-shot (BnB).

Where the complexity enters is all of the enhancements and modifiers applied to those abilities, and the way that the mob types and environment operate. Opening with an ES (maybe with a Frost Pilum to follow up and slow enemies) then kiting a group of fast melee attackers through a HoA while hitting them with more ES is lots of fun, and plays out differently to a fight with ranged summoners, for example.

In comparison to Borderlands it was a bit embarassing. Taken as a progression from beggining to end you had a semi-structured level curve (Even if you outlevel it scaling keeps things relatively in line) with acquisition of abilities that do change how you play. Even though you only had one 'active ability' the use of various weapon types mixed in with procedural triggers from passives allowed for dynamic gameplay. The loot itself could be used to customize which of those passives/skills were used, how effective those weapons were on a mechanical level (Reload, firing speed, bullet spread) as well as raw damage. At least for the assault rifles/machine guns there was so much difference between the types and how they fired/were used that each one required a lot of testing for me to use; some I could snipe with and others were close range only. Different weapons for different tactical situations makes MORE loot relevant even if all the loot was guns.

Now this is crazy talk. The differences between bows/guns and dual-wielding fast guns versus using a single big-nuke ranged weapon alone completely murder Borderlands laughable amount of "variety". Throw in knockback and life/mana leeching stats on top of all those things in Blands which Torchlight also mostly has and it's pretty clear which one has the it goin' on.

What did you find so underwhelming about the loot in Borderlands? I thought there were a lot of options!

The shooting mechanics are awful and lack any impact, so the actual act of shooting the guns is terrible. After 10 hours of playing I had picked up dozens of weapons which looked and behaved pretty much the same, my character had a bunch of skills which I didn't even need to use at all and I'd spent the entire time killing the same group of Juggalos in the same section of the Grand Canyon. That about sums it up.

Edit: and holy shit is that Comic Sans in Seanspeed's screenshot?

Fitz

If you enjoyed playing Diablo solo, you'll enjoy playing Titan Quest solo.

Titan Quest is really the only one of these games that I feel has come close to equaling Diablo 2 in terms of depth and I loved it as a solo game. I never played D2 online much, though, so I guess I can't really compare things. It suffers from some of the same issues that D2 has (slow start, maybe not the most interesting loot until a bit into the game etc.) but I think it does a lot of stuff better. Better skill system, larger variety of kinds of loot, nice graphics.

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely be looking into picking this up then. Having mod support is a big plus.

Seanspeed

Banned
PC gaming sucks because I don't know how to do basic computing that is applicable to daily usability rather than just gaming!
howiunzippedfilesspiderman.gif?
The only way you can't have the function on Windows 7 (not winzip or any extra tool like that, they're just handled natively) is if you messed it up yourself by installing software you shouldn't have which overrode the functions and then removed it or whatever. No decent known decompression tool like any of those suggested so far (seriously? you don't know what open source is, and have managed to mess up standard Windows features, yet still want to pretend you aren't clueless, and merely have little patience for "pc gaming"?) would do that, they'd add their functions but still leave the default Windows functions alone.

As you can see by the screenshot above - I DONT HAVE THIS OPTION. I dont know why. I never had it. There was a zip file I wanted to unzip a long time ago and I couldn't, which is why I got Winzip in the first place.

I dont know what the deal is, but you're certainly not being helpful by being so incredibly condescending.

Anyways, I'm still having problems(game runs now but mod isn't working), but I'm gonna PM trin as he seems willing to help instead of just being a dick.

EDIT: ok, setting the default to 'windows explorer' seems to allow me to unzip files without any extra program.

Edit: and holy shit is that Comic Sans in Seanspeed's screenshot?
yup

goober

Yes! Loving the Titan Quest recommendations!

Quick, everyone google it, so Valve gets a hint on what we want and it becomes a daily deal.

I really dont have that. Maybe certain versions come with a full version of Winzip while mine was just a trial? I dunno. This is what my options look like:

http://i.imgur.com/64t1i.png

The zip files shouldn't look like that at all. I think someone (maybe you) installed Winzip a while ago and it became the default program for opening zip files. If you right click the file and go to "open with">"windows explorer" you get the default Windows unzip program.

EDIT:You can also set it to default by choosing "open with">"select default program" and in the pop-up window choose "windows explorer" and making sure the box at the bottom is checked.

EDIT 2: He uses comic sans as his desktop font? That's it, I'm out.

Chris R

Worst thing about seeing all these Titan Quest suggestions is that Grim Dawn seems so far away (if it will ever be finished). Makes me sad :(

But yes, Titan Quest (Gold edition) is a great single player game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
http://i.imgur.com/cBTrv.png

Took me 1 second to figure out.

That file is incomplete, either still downloading or borked, hence the .crdownload (using Chrome eh) extension instead of just .zip, and tiny file size. Unless you were just testing the function and showing that. You should have the native functions too, not just 7zip's, once the file is complete and has the normal .zip extension, unless yours is borked too.

Where have you been on Steam?

Hiding. I spent Christmas either out or entertaining and either hungover or loaded, and managed to drag it out for about two and a half weeks. I'm recharging my extrovert power-cells with video games and solitude.

Edit: also... what is going on with everyone's avatars?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Honorable mention: Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom. I absolutely loved the artstyle and dreamy abstract feel to this game and it's also sickeningly hard unless you abuse missile exploits. Really underrated and unmentioned; played it again like six months ago to finish some stuff up and could still find 10 games of people.
Its not an exploit and its not hard. Unless you mean duping which is, but farming the Orange and Blue potions was how you were supposed to take on higher difficulties. Was a pretty great idea since most loot whore games heavily base it on luck of getting the rare items with good stats. This did it by taking a more common item with stats/benefits you like, and crafting it into that rare item.

Spent 71 hours playing it and my busty elf girl could clear through all the stages and I got to the point where I crafted weapons and armour where anyone of my characters by level 40 could clear it all.

I_D

That file is incomplete, either still downloading or borked, hence the .crdownload (using Chrome eh) extension instead of just .zip, and tiny file size. Unless you were just testing the function and showing that. You should have the native functions too, not just 7zip's, once the file is complete and has the normal .zip extension, unless yours is borked too.

Yeah, just showing the function. I think I'm finally past my D2 days. :(

larvi

Sacred 2 is the one I keep going back to. It's very open and challenging and lots of variety to the character builds. You really want to have the Ice and Blood add on though for the bug fixes and addtional content but it isn't available in North America unless you import or buy the digital version from overseas.

Borderlands was fun but you hit the level cap too quickly and other than Crawmerax there really aren't any tough enemies so there really isn't any reason to keep going back and grinding for better loot. Also not much variety when it comes to loot, characters and quests so it gets old pretty fast.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Worst thing about seeing all these Titan Quest suggestions is that Grim Dawn seems so far away (if it will ever be finished). Makes me sad :(

But yes, Titan Quest (Gold edition) is a great single player game.

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

I bought into the game last March (Legendary Fan Edition, because I have faith in the game being fantastic).

I love Diablo and can't stand Titan Quest.

Obviously my comment doesn't apply to those who aren't interested in Titan Quest.

Easily Sacred 2; far and away the best one yet

So I bought this on the 360 (yeah yeah, my laptop can't run it, I'm sorry) and I don't fucking get it. It seems very deep but it doesn't explain a damn fucking thing. Is there a good guide for this game around?

Seanspeed

Banned
cBTrv.png

Took me 1 second to figure out.
You clearly haven't read the whole conversation, but ok.

The zip files shouldn't look like that at all. I think someone (maybe you) installed Winzip a while ago and it became the default program for opening zip files. If you right click the file and go to "open with">"windows explorer" you get the default Windows unzip program.

EDIT:You can also set it to default by choosing "open with">"select default program" and in the pop-up window choose "windows explorer" and making sure the box at the bottom is checked.

EDIT 2: He uses comic sans as his desktop font? That's it, I'm out.
I figured it out now. I had to set default to 'Windows Explorer' like you said.

People don't know how to open zip files? Jesus christ.
Again, another person who hasn't read the conversation......ugh

The man is using Comic Sans as his desktop font, we're well and truly through the looking-glass here.
So I'm being judged for using a freaking font now?

I know GAF can be a judgemental bunch, but thats fucking ridiculous. I like the font, so what? What does it really matter at all? I dont get it. Seriously.

Anyways, at that, I'm out. This is all getting too much. One person was helpful here, so thanks. Everybody else? nah I'll be nice........

Durante

Let me piss everyone of by saying that both Torchlight and Borderlands are really shallow loot games. Both are fun for a bit but don't measure up in any way to the greats in the genre -- or even the "goods", like Sacred 2.

strem

Not sure if anyone mentioned Sacred 2 or not yet but I can't recommend that game enough. I feel like it is the best loot whore game out other than Diablo.

larvi

Just turn off the voices and don't do the quests for the Scandinavian Hair Metal band.

Play on the closed net servers and you won't get an option for the Blind Guardian quest and they are from Germany, not Scandanvia and a couple of the members are pretty lacking in the hair department :)

So I bought this on the 360 (yeah yeah, my laptop can't run it, I'm sorry) and I don't fucking get it. It seems very deep but it doesn't explain a damn fucking thing. Is there a good guide for this game around?

Here are some guides on the wiki:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Sacred_2_Player_Contributed_Guides

Also Darkmatters forum has a lot of great info. On the 360 one of the funner builds to play is the Viperish Diseases dryad (they patched the PC so this build no longer works as well but it still works on the PS3/360):

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/13603-voodoo-dryad-black-magic-woman/

Holy shit, awesome. Might give this game another shot now that I have a new TV. Intimidated the shit out of me when I first put it in, and I can usually "get" any game after an hour or so. Hopefully this will help, thank you.

KKRT00

64t1i.png

hold right mouse button and move a file somewhere and You'll get Your 'Extract' command.
You can also open a file with windows explorer by Open With function on Your screen and there is 'Extract all' in top bar.
You cant open it with windows by default, because Winzip overwrote access to zip files as a primary tool.

erragal

That's true, but as soon as I realised how broken it was I just stopped using it until they patched it.

See this confused me. In dungeon crawlers you basically need three modes of attack; AOE, single-target nuke and bread-and-butter attack which you use for everything else. Torchlight's character system is very much designed around this. For example, I play Vanquisher. My main skills are Hail of Arrows (AOE), Explosive Shot (nuke) and auto-shot (BnB).

Where the complexity enters is all of the enhancements and modifiers applied to those abilities, and the way that the mob types and environment operate. Opening with an ES (maybe with a Frost Pilum to follow up and slow enemies) then kiting a group of fast melee attackers through a HoA while hitting them with more ES is lots of fun, and plays out differently to a fight with ranged summoners, for example.

Now this is crazy talk. The differences between bows/guns and dual-wielding fast guns versus using a single big-nuke ranged weapon alone completely murder Borderlands laughable amount of "variety". Throw in knockback and life/mana leeching stats on top of all those things in Blands which Torchlight also mostly has and it's pretty clear which one has the it goin' on.

The shooting mechanics are awful and lack any impact, so the actual act of shooting the guns is terrible. After 10 hours of playing I had picked up dozens of weapons which looked and behaved pretty much the same, my character had a bunch of skills which I didn't even need to use at all and I'd spent the entire time killing the same group of Juggalos in the same section of the Grand Canyon. That about sums it up.

I'm going to be lazy and not separate your quotes!

My first response is a bit of a copout: I did not play the vanquisher. I shy away from ranged archery/gun classes in these games as they skew towards being fundamentally overpowered in most of them. My perspective is having played the Destroyer and Alchemist and finding them very flawed. The Alchemist had awful skill balancing that was all over the power map and could be played with one button; the Destroyer had lots of poor quality of life design decisions and weapon choice made minimal difference in damage output especially compared to the defensive benefits of a shield.

I understand the encounter design ideas behind loot-whore games but I found the class/loot mechanics not dynamic enough to make those encounters enjoyable to engage. I'm well aware I'm not the majority opinion in this regard but I've played enough loot-whore games to give merit to my opinion; it's plausible I would have greatly enjoyed the game as a vanquisher if it had better gameplay options.

Your opinions on borderlands seem strange to me. Individuals with far more expertise than I have lauded Borderlands' gunplay. Beyond the standard weapons there were enough unique types that could be viable with the right builds as well. Sniping revolvers, spread revolvers, an entire range of assault rifles, a huge variety of shotguns/rocket launchers that played VERY differently. The only weapon type I found poorly supported were SMG's where you really only wanted one type of.

Really don't get the enemy variety complaints; I found a great progression of different enemies that engaged you with various tactics though it could be fairly shallow very early in the game. I also found the balance/scaling to be spot on compared to the vast majority of loot based games which is VERY commendable.

Can't speak for the 360 version, but the PC version of Sacred 2 is god awful. Performs like shit even on a top end system. It'll be smooth for a minute then stutter for no apparent reason, and outside of performance issues the game can just break at any moment. Oh that NPC you need to complete a quest? He just fell through the world. If it wasn't so janky I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Very original. Voice acting is weird as shit though.

Torchlight is Diablo on training wheels with WoW graphics. Not necessarily bad, but always feels lacking to me. It's a good game, but just doesn't scratch the itch.

I would say Titan Quest Gold is your best bet for a loot whore game that's not Diablo 2. Great graphics, unique world, cool abilities, tons of interesting loot, huge talent trees and tons of various speccing options, dual classes, all kinds of crazy shit.
The only downside about Titan Quest for me is that the combat can get a bit monotonous if you're melee.

Ir should be noted that Titan Quest is still a very beautiful game. It uses a large amount of light sources, and at time of release it required pretty advanced hardware to run smoothly. On current hardware it looks and plays great. Also, it has very nice day/night transitions, great music, and a lot of ancient mythology (if you listen to the stories of the NPCs).

Zimbardo

Can't speak for the 360 version, but the PC version of Sacred 2 is god awful. Performs like shit even on a top end system. It'll be smooth for a minute then stutter for no apparent reason, and outside of performance issues the game can just break at any moment. Oh that NPC you need to complete a quest? He just fell through the world. If it wasn't so janky I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Very original. Voice acting is weird as shit though.

Torchlight is Diablo on training wheels with WoW graphics. Not necessarily bad, but always feels lacking to me. It's a good game, but just doesn't scratch the itch.

I would say Titan Quest Gold is your best bet for a loot whore game that's not Diablo 2. Great graphics, unique world, cool abilities, tons of interesting loot, huge talent trees and tons of various speccing options, dual classes, all kinds of crazy shit.
The only downside about Titan Quest for me is that the combat can get a bit monotonous if you're melee.

Sacred 2 on Win7 seemed pretty well broken ...but if u set the game's .exe to run in Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode, it should run relatively fine. at least it does for me ...tho i did experience the odd crash/glitch once in a while.

oh ...and turn off the hardware PhysX. it seems to make the game crash after about an hour if you have it enabled. too bad, too ...because the physx looked great.

Top Bottom