• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a new PC!" 2010 Edition

Ermac said:
Question: Just finished my first build. Out of all the utilities in the OP, which ones are the essentials?

Are you OC'ing or just playing games on stock? If you're just gaming FRAPs and D3DOverrider is basically all you need.

Dosia

So I have assembled my friends computer but I am having trouble detecting the hard drive. The hard drive is a western digital caviar black (WD1001FALS). The motherboard I am using is a ASUS P7P55D-E. While in the bios, sata 1 is detecting the asus cd rom drive, but no go for the hard drive in sata 2. I tried sata 3 and the HD is still not being detected. I have the sata cable and power cable plugged into the HD with nothing connected to the jumper pins. Is this correct?

SUPARSTARX

Looking for a new comp for $1200 budget. Someone plan out something for me!

Thinking of the AMD Phenom x6, mid tower case, AM3 motherboard with Sli/xfire capability and 4 dimm slot, good power supply, and heatsink. Will probably get Radeon card w/Eyefinity

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fredescu said:
The BIOS has to support the processor too. This is easy information to find for retail motherboards, but can be tricky for mass produced systems. Check the Dell website for BIOS updates for your system, but they may not explicitly say they've added CPU compatibility because they don't want you upgrading your CPU. It's not uncommon for an OEM to abandon a particular motherboard revision too, since they're not engineered with CPU upgrades in mind unlike retail motherboards. You might just have to do a bit of Googling and see whether someone has managed it before.
Yeah, also a (Q9550) as an upgrade is pretty ill timed right now and horribly expensive.

You should just list out everything that you are thinking of.
You can check your motherboard make with CPU-Z and see what it is compatible with. Do you need a quad anyway? Why are you upgrading? How much can you spend?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23390154&postcount=14952

*Reposting*
1)Basic Desktop Questions
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Gaming, Video editing, or just general usage
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Self Explanatory

2)General Guide on what to buy (Summer)
Hazaro's buying guide (July, 2010)
De facto internet standard. Accept no substitutes :D
Tech Report Builders Guide!
A very good basic guide that has been updated for FALL. Has alternative options and many price points.

3) 15 minute video how-to
http://vimeo.com/5685229
40 minute how-to
http://www.tested.com/news/video-how-to-build-the-best-1500-gaming-pc-step-by-step/152/

4) Prospective laptop buyers please fill this out and ask their forum as well.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...ould-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.html

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What about this timing stuff, if I can get 2x4GB PC3-10666 sticks with CL9 or 4x2GB CL7 sticks for roughly the same price, should I go with the lowest timings?
2 sticks is better than 4 sticks. Easier on the motherboard. RAM speed and timing is extremely negligible for performance.
Ermac said:
Question: Just finished my first build. Out of all the utilities in the OP, which ones are the essentials?
All of them!
I just downloaded what I needed at the time so I ended up with all of them.

Fredescu

Dosia said:
Is this correct?
Yep, doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong. Perhaps unplug the optical drive and put the hdd in it's place and see if it comes good. Make sure the PCB of the drive isn't shorting on anything. It sounds silly, but make sure you're not misinterpreting the BIOS. If you set it to Auto, some of them will always say that in the BIOS and put the drive detection message in POST, which will often flash by too fast to see. Just as a final test before sending it off for RMA, check disk manager in Windows if it's a secondary drive, or start Windows setup and see if that can see the drive if it's the only drive.

Dosia

Fredescu said:
Yep, doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong. Perhaps unplug the optical drive and put the hdd in it's place and see if it comes good. Make sure the PCB of the drive isn't shorting on anything. It sounds silly, but make sure you're not misinterpreting the BIOS. If you set it to Auto, some of them will always say that in the BIOS and put the drive detection message in POST, which will often flash by too fast to see. Just as a final test before sending it off for RMA, check disk manager in Windows if it's a secondary drive, or start Windows setup and see if that can see the drive if it's the only drive.
Thanks for the response. I did in fact swap the hd with the opti drive and the hd was still undetected. This is a brand new build and will be the primary drive. I cant install windows as I cant select the hd for it to install to. I am thinking I got a dud unfortunately.

How is neweggs return policy? I am within the 30 day window so hopefully I can get a replacement fairly quickly.

ZZMitch

Alright GAF,

I have been PC gaming on a Mac Mini running bootcamp for too long now. For a platform that contains most of my favorite games, I need something that can actually play them well :lol

So I made the decision to save up money and get a good gaming PC that I will be able to take to college with me next year. I am selling my Xbox 360 and PS3 aswell. With that and the money I have been saving, I should have a around 1300-1500 to spend.

Now I have been browsing some of the websites in the OP. NCIXUS caught my eye because I don't think I want to build the PC myself, but the PCs at the custom PC sites are way to expensive for what it looks like your getting.

So GAF, what can I get for about 1500? Keep in mind I need to purchase a monitor, windows 7 and maybe a keyboard.

How much is the assembly price at NCIXUS?

I don't know what is really the best parts... but I know I want a quad core processor and a bluray drive would be nice, unless I could increase my performance by diverting that money to something else.

Thanks for the help in advanced GAF :D

Oh, and I need an optical audio port for my surround sound headphones, but I am guessing most PCs will have that these days.

Fredescu

ZZMitch said:
So GAF, what can I get for about 1500? Keep in mind I need to purchase a monitor, windows 7 and maybe a keyboard.
Tech Reports builds are a good place to start: http://techreport.com/articles.x/19560/6

ZZMitch said:
Oh, and I need an optical audio port for my surround sound headphones, but I am guessing most PCs will have that these days.
A lot do, but plenty don't. That build above has a separate sound card, but you can easily forgo that and get a motherboard with an optical output.

Dosia said:
How is neweggs return policy?
No idea sorry, I wish we had a newegg here.

Wallach

Dosia said:
Thanks for the response. I did in fact swap the hd with the opti drive and the hd was still undetected. This is a brand new build and will be the primary drive. I cant install windows as I cant select the hd for it to install to. I am thinking I got a dud unfortunately.

How is neweggs return policy? I am within the 30 day window so hopefully I can get a replacement fairly quickly.

Newegg's return policy is fucking amazing. They will take care of you on the easy.

spwolf

i need recommendation for PC :).

I am building office computer, with just the basic video card, and i also have HTPC with E5200 and basic video... I had no intention to play ever games on it, but since I moved, i put my E5200 under my living room TV, and I got G25, so it seems like obvious that I would like to play some PC games there.... so I was wonder what ATI graphics card to get that will give me playable graphics? I have no intentions to update cpu or psu, both of which would be needed to get "proper" gaming rig... I am just thinking of getting some card and putting my passivily cooled ATI into the office computer...

so any recommendations?

for office, i5 760, 8GB, 4xF4s in RAID10 sound good? good build those softwares quickly :)

p.s. I was quite surprised i could play old copy of GTR2 on my HTPC :).

That's more a question for this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...83771&page=310

For the video card, I'd wait a few weeks and see what the 6750/6770 will be like. If they have the rumoured performance at the same power draw and temps as the 5750/5770 they should be excellent cards for lower powered system. You don't say exactly how big your case and psu are though, they're going to be the limiting factor. You could probably get a nice OC on that E5200 depending on your mbd and cooling.

hybrid drives are decent, but expensive compared to getting raid10 setup on quick $50 drives.
----

Case is huge, with 3 internal fans... no problems with cooling in there. PSU and Mobo were intended for HTPC, so I dont think it is more than 400W.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ZZMitch said:

How much is the assembly price at NCIXUS?

I don't know what is really the best parts... but I know I want a quad core processor and a bluray drive would be nice, unless I could increase my performance by diverting that money to something else.

$42 iirc

http://i.imgur.com/A55hA.jpg

Just make sure the mobo has optical out.
BR drive is pretty cheap. You can get a sound card as well.

Save the GPU money for an upgrade down the line. For most I'd imagine a GTX 460 will do quite well for a long time.

ZZMitch

Hazaro said:
$42 iirc

http://i.imgur.com/A55hA.jpg

Just make sure the mobo has optical out.
BR drive is pretty cheap. You can get a sound card as well.

Save the GPU money for an upgrade down the line. For most I'd imagine a GTX 460 will do quite well for a long time.

Thanks for this :D Hopfully I can buy all these parts at NCIXUS... will check that out tomorrow!

Fredescu

IrishNinja said:
GAF can you recommend any cases/setups for portable desktops?

Fredescu said:
Just browse around the Micro ATX and Mini-ITX cases and see if there's one you like. Just remember, the smaller you go, the harder it's going to be to find parts that will fit, and the more expensive it will be. Something like this that supports full ATX power supplies and 10.5" cards would be ok: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163157.

Check this out: http://techreport.com/articles.x/19641/1 . Only problem might be finding a decent CPU cooler that fits, and you're going to want one if you're going for 3.5Ghz minimum.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ZZMitch said:
Thanks for this :D Hopfully I can buy all these parts at NCIXUS... will check that out tomorrow!
That's a general guide abouts.
Fill this out

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?

ZZMitch

Hazaro said:
That's a general guide abouts.
Fill this out

Yeah, I was just looking at the picture you posted.

Budget- 1500 (US)
Main Use- Gaming
Monitor Resolution- I will be buying a monitor with the PC, was looking at probably 1920x1080
Games- Civ 5, Team Fortress 2, Black Ops when it releases, Minecraft :D , Left 4 Dead 2

I was also wondering what the differences between the Phenom II and the i5 or i7 are?

God I cannot wait for the Hyper 212+ to come in, my phenom is a hot mother fucker, was idling at 55 Celsius, so I bumped it from 3Ghz down to 2Ghz, and she's idling at 36 celsius now, :lol Fucking AMD thermal paste blows

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ZZMitch said:
Yeah, I was just looking at the picture you posted.

Budget- 1500 (US)
Main Use- Gaming
Monitor Resolution- I will be buying a monitor with the PC, was looking at probably 1920x1080
Games- Civ 5, Team Fortress 2, Black Ops when it releases, Minecraft :D , Left 4 Dead 2

I was also wondering what the differences between the Phenom II and the i5 or i7 are?
The upgrade path is pretty nullified on both.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=109

But that should give you an idea. The intel will clock much higher and is faster clock for clock.
i5vsi7 is not much difference. Almost everyone should get i5 as its much better value.

Otherwise the image is still up to date.
Things you should know is that new intel chips are coming out in a few months, new ati cards coming out in upcoming months.

IrishNinja

Fredescu, if you ever come to miami, i'm buying you a drink.:D

i did a bunch of looking/searching from your prior laptop processor links, and for some reason allowed myself to believe the speeds i wanted were limited to daulcores, which is ridiculous in retrospect. :lol id totally go with the quad you listed. few quick questions, though:

Fredescu said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115218

The i7 has a lower clockspeed but it's going to blow that i5 out of the water.

Intel is supposed to be better for Dolphin, but either way you're going to have to overclock and looking at the Dolphin forums I doubt that a 4Ghz AMD is going to disappoint.

1) still learning about quads - if im after clock speed for the emus, what about the i7 owns the i5 there? i guess the way im seeing it is: i want to run current/forthcoming AAA PC titles on high res/FPS, and the other half of the formula is PCSX2/dolphin, so im wary of trading clockspeed for the 2nd goal. what do i stand to lose by passing on the i7? if i invest in a high-end GPU, should i not be covered?
i guess you're right, since im pushing for processing power, im looking to OC but having never done it, that's gonna be a lotta research on cooling/ideal temperatures and such, prolly time i learned it anyway.

Just browse around the Micro ATX and Mini-ITX cases and see if there's one you like. Just remember, the smaller you go, the harder it's going to be to find parts that will fit, and the more expensive it will be. Something like this that supports full ATX power supplies and 10.5" cards would be ok: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163157.

i guess i was expecting about that...friend or two had mentioned fragbox, shuttle, falcon northwest, etc and i liked a few, was thinking it'd be cool if it was a tight, HTPC case (i dont mind limiting myself to 1 GPU, HDD, RAM slot etc if need be) but then i figured, would i be screwing myself out of current/higher end vid cards with these setups?
i'd make do with that case if need be, but id really love to see if i could make something smaller/more portable work, as it'd be going with me 5-6 times a week. and yeah, i get that it could cost me more too...

edit: as an example, would i be shit out of luck with these goals and a case like this?

one day ima have a badass rig in a gamecube case

BeeDog

Sorry for bumping, but I have some questions:

1) I'm choosing between i5-760 and the i7-860. The only real difference (aside from price) that I can notice is that the i5 lacks Hyper-Threading. What kind of implications does this have? I'd rather go for the i5, but if it's extremely gimped, I don't want it.

2) I want a very reasonably-priced motherboard (leaning towards Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 or UD4) with USB 3.0, but someone told me that by using USB3 on these boards, you actually bottleneck the PCI-E slots (and therefore your GPU). Is this true? And if so, what can be done about it (e.g. pay a little bit more to avoid this)?

BeeDog said:

1) I'm choosing between i5-760 and the i7-860. The only real difference (aside from price) that I can notice is that the i5 lacks Hyper-Threading. What kind of implications does this have? I'd rather go for the i5, but if it's extremely gimped, I don't want it.

2) I want a very reasonably-priced motherboard (leaning towards Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 or UD4) with USB 3.0, but someone told me that by using USB3 on these boards, you actually bottleneck the PCI-E slots (and therefore your GPU). Is this true? And if so, what can be done about it (e.g. pay a little bit more to avoid this)?

From the research and discussions while I was looking at buying, i5 seems to provide better value than the i7 and i5-760 is absolutely good for gaming purposes.

I did not hear about any issues with getting USB3 motherboards, in fact I think a couple of people specifically recommended getting one with USB3.

I ended up going with the i5-760 2.8Ghz and ASUS, P7P55D-E PRO. Should have my new PC here end of this week/next week.

ChryZ

BeeDog said:

1). The i5 isn't "extremely gimped". You still have a quadcore with four hardware driven threads, plenty for most end user applications and games.

2). Gigabyte offers two modes to operate USB3/SATA3. I posted this earlier up-thread:

ChryZ said:
I had the same questions, before I bought my GA-P55A-UD4. Here are a few good links:

http://www.overclockers.com/superspeed-usb-gigabyte-turbo-asus-true-usb30/
http://www.overclockers.com/gigabyte-p55a-series-motherboards-part-2-superspeed-usb-pushed-limit/

I'm using the DMI mode. Sure it's a compromise and I'm not getting the full performance of USB3.0/SATA3, but are there any devices that are able to operate at those specs? Are you going to use a SSD as usb flash drive? SSD is now somewhat able to max sata2 and that's plenty performance and even those still cost premium compared to hhd. Maybe in a few years it's going to be important to have that stuff at its fullest potential, but for now I couldn't care less.

Wes

venison crêpe
See how this goes:

Budget: ~£600 UK (not including monitor or other peripherals, although I will be after a new screen too!)
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1650 x 1050 most likely
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Civ V, TF2, LoL, Guild Wars 2, Fallout: New Vegas

I'll have plenty of room for upgrading down the line so I don't want to limit myself too much by chipset/case size etc.

Fredescu

IrishNinja said:
1) still learning about quads - if im after clock speed for the emus, what about the i7 owns the i5 there?
All I know is that the i7 always has longer bars on benchmark graphs. i7 is pretty high end though, and you pay a lot more for the motherboards that run them, and they have fairly limited small form factor options. I was just linking those other two to make a point, the one you're likely to end up with on the Intel side is the i5-760: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067

IrishNinja said:
then i figured, would i be screwing myself out of current/higher end vid cards with these setups?
Not necessarily, did you see my second post? Tech Report gets a massive GTX470 inside this Mini-ITX case: http://techreport.com/articles.x/19641

The problem with that case for you will be the lack of CPU cooling. If you absolutely need 3.5Ghz minimum, you're going to have to overclock, and for that you will need custom cooling. I have no idea what kind of cooler will fit in here:

build-socket.jpg

You might be able to find something.

IrishNinja said:
i'd make do with that case if need be, but id really love to see if i could make something smaller/more portable work, as it'd be going with me 5-6 times a week. and yeah, i get that it could cost me more too...

edit: as an example, would i be shit out of luck with these goals and a case like this?

one day ima have a badass rig in a gamecube case
You could do that. I'm not sure I'd do it with that particular case though. Thermaltake stuff tends to be a bit cheaply made, which is fine I guess for a full sized desktop, they're a bit more forgiving. Small cases are already difficult enough to work on because of the lack of space and the extra importance of stuff like cable routing. Cheap small cases would be a nightmare (and you'll note that there are more than a few negative comments on that Thermaltake case). Look for one by Silverstone or Lian Li, like these ones:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112222
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112279
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163170
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163058

You're going to have to do a fair bit of extra research as far as what's going to fit. I think most of those take a full size PSU, but you'll need to buy the right size MBD (Micro ATX or Mini ITX, depending on the case), the right length video card, and the right size CPU cooler. What you're wanting to do is definitely possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wes said:
See how this goes:

Budget: ~£600 UK (not including monitor or other peripherals, although I will be after a new screen too!)
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1650 x 1050 most likely
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Civ V, TF2, LoL, Guild Wars 2, Fallout: New Vegas

I'll have plenty of room for upgrading down the line so I don't want to limit myself too much by chipset/case size etc.

I'll come along for the ride if I can :) although I'll be playing on a 1080p TV, I'd guess the GPU required would be about the same.

Fredescu said:
Yeah, if the price is the same go with the lower timings. They don't have anything like this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308 ? I would feel more comfortable buying a matched pair rather than buying two matched pairs, but it will probably be fine.
A pair of Corsairs is actually a tad cheaper.
Hazaro said:
2 sticks is better than 4 sticks. Easier on the motherboard. RAM speed and timing is extremely negligible for performance.
So I guess that settles it.

And it seems like those Corsairs are the only 4GB sticks worth getting over here, everything else at the major sites have similar performance (only CL9's), is more expensive and is likely to not have a heat spreader. Never even seen the G.SKILL brand over here.

Thanks for the input!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
spazzfish said:
It's fine for gaming and won't bottleneck anything.
Thanks for the reply. Now I just have to buy a decent PSU to replace the stock one that comes with the rig (think its a 350W). Decided to go with the Corsair 650TX ($52.98 including rebate). Thought about going with the 750TX but decided that it would probably be overkill for my rig and the extra $30 was not worth it imo...

Milpool

Fredescu said:
Not necessarily, did you see my second post? Tech Report gets a massive GTX470 inside this Mini-ITX case: http://techreport.com/articles.x/19641

The problem with that case for you will be the lack of CPU cooling. If you absolutely need 3.5Ghz minimum, you're going to have to overclock, and for that you will need custom cooling. I have no idea what kind of cooler will fit in here:

http://techreport.com/r.x/sg07-miniusb3/build-socket.jpg

You might be able to find something.

I'm using a Xigmatek Cobra which fits fine, alternatives would be a Thermalright APX-140 RT, a Samuel 17(not great) or a H50/H70 if you don't mind getting rid of the 180mm fan, or maybe using zip ties to mount the radiator to it.

ZZMitch

Hazaro said:
The upgrade path is pretty nullified on both.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=109

But that should give you an idea. The intel will clock much higher and is faster clock for clock.
i5vsi7 is not much difference. Almost everyone should get i5 as its much better value.

Otherwise the image is still up to date.
Things you should know is that new intel chips are coming out in a few months, new ati cards coming out in upcoming months.

Yeah, judging from that link the i5 is much better for games. Is there no exact date on the release of the new intel chips? Because I might only have the money to buy the computer for a short time, because some of the money I am using to buy it is barrowed.

PC Gaf,

quick question (or questions)

just built my pc and I'm still trying to properly setup my BIOS. I have about 4 HDD in my comp one being an SSD. I've installed windows 7 on my SSD but when I would check "My Compter" i couldnt see the other HHD's. With a little searching around, I've found a solution which basically tells me to initialize/partition the drives in disk management.

So I find the missing drives and they say that they are unallocated. I right click and then I'm given these options: New Simple Volume, New Spanned Volume, New Striped Volume, New Mirrored Volume.

Which do I pick?

This is mainly a gaming computer btw (specs below)

+ Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz
+ MoBo - ASUS P6X58D
+ HSF - CPU HEATSINK COOLER MASTER RR-UV8-XBU1-GP
+ SSD - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSD
+ GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
+ HDD1 - Western Digital Caviar Internal Hard Drive
+ RAM CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB)
+ PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
+ HDD2 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
+ HDD3 - Western Digital 150GB
+ DVD DRIVE - DVD±/CD-RW: Samsung SH-S223F
+ Chassis - Thermaltake Element T

Dosia

Quick question. Is the western digital WD1001FALS caviar black capable of being a boot drive? Perhaps that is why I cant see it when trying to setup this pc.

n0n44m

diztrukted said:
PC Gaf,

quick question (or questions)

So I find the missing drives and they say that they are unallocated. I right click and then I'm given these options: New Simple Volume, New Spanned Volume, New Striped Volume, New Mirrored Volume.

Which do I pick?

new simple volume, the other options refer to software RAID

after that it asks you to format them (select NTFS if given the option (winXP only I guess)) , and then you're done

(formatting can take a long time if you don't select the quick-format option (~1 hour for a terabyte drive I recall) , so select quick if you've used the drives before and they worked without issues )

Dosia said:
Quick question. Is the western digital WD1001FALS caviar black capable of being a boot drive? Perhaps that is why I cant see it when trying to setup this pc.

I never heard of a consumer-grade HDD that isn't bootable ...Can you select a different SATA speed (I instead of Sata II) via jumpers? Still unlikely that'll solve it as a p7p55d shouldn't have issues with SATA II ... updating the motherboard bios from a usb stick is another thing you can try

more likely the hdd is Dead On Arrival though =]

oh sweet.

thanks for the info. How do you guys typically set up your hdd's/ssd's . I know typically you'd install the OS onto the SSD for quick boot ups, but would you use the extra hdd's as where you'd install your games/game saves then have that backed up to another hdd?

Adamm

Hey PC Gaf,

Quick question (i think)

Im looking into building a new PC & I was just wanting to know - is there any major new upgrades that are coming in the next few months to make me want to hold off building my new PC now?

I know there is always going to be upgrades released shortly after buying new stuff but im just worried incase there is a major jump - as im planning to spend quite a bit on this PC :D

RiverBed

Banned
I want to buy a HD 5750 GPU to update my trusty 8800 GTX, but I don't want to change anything else. Can I just unplug the old card and plug in the new one?
These are my mobo and cpu; can anyone please tell me if they are cpmpatible?:

motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model: EP35-DS3 F2
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. Version F2, Date: 01/04/2008
Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Rev. A2

Cheers.

PS. I would have gone with a 5770 or even a 5850, but I don't think the tiny spike in performance is worth the jack up in price (30% more expensive and higher).

Adamm said:
Hey PC Gaf,

Quick question (i think)

Im looking into building a new PC & I was just wanting to know - is there any major new upgrades that are coming in the next few months to make me want to hold off building my new PC now?

I know there is always going to be upgrades released shortly after buying new stuff but im just worried incase there is a major jump - as im planning to spend quite a bit on this PC :D

The next AMD (ati) series of videocards, the 6000 series, is supposed to hit before the end of the year. Supposedly, they are going to be quite a jump from the 5000 series. nVidia isn't supposed to bring out their next breed of high-end cards until much later next year.

Fredescu

RiverBed said:
I want to buy a HD 5750 GPU to update my trusty 8800 GTX, but I don't want to change anything else.
That's barely an upgrade. I wouldn't bother. Wait for the 6750, it shouldn't be too far away.

Milpool said:
I'm using a Xigmatek Cobra which fits fine, alternatives would be a Thermalright APX-140 RT, a Samuel 17(not great) or a H50/H70 if you don't mind getting rid of the 180mm fan, or maybe using zip ties to mount the radiator to it.
You have the SG07? How do you like it? What do you have in it?

Piano

Banned
Now that I've got my new PC up and running (maybe I'll post pics?) I have a few lingering questions...

How do I get my computer to stop loading into ASUS ExpressGate by default? I swore I changed the boot priority to make it lower, but it still goes to it before Windows.

How do I get my MSIGTX460 to output via its mini HDMI port? I'm using an adapter right now...ain't no data coming outta the HDMI port.

And then I've got an iTunes issue, but it's fairly intricate, so I'll be posting a separate thread...

Fredescu

TheEastonator said:
How do I get my computer to stop loading into ASUS ExpressGate by default?
Disable it altogether. The option is under Tools in the BIOS I think.

TheEastonator said:
How do I get my MSIGTX460 to output via its mini HDMI port? I'm using an adapter right now...ain't no data coming outta the HDMI port.
Windows 7? Right click on the desktop and choose screen resolution. If it sees the second display attached to your hdmi port, it should show it in there. If it does, highlight the monitor and tick the "Extend" option. If it doesn't see it in there, make sure the display is on and reboot the pc with the display plugged in. If it still doesn't show it's likely a physical problem.

TheExodu5

Banned
So what are the best bang for the buck CPU nowadays? i5 750 still worth getting? Or are there preferable options for a ~$1000 PC?

I'm helping my cousin build a PC (with all the accessories and monitor for $1500 Canadian). The GTX 460 is a sure thing, but I'm undecided as to what CPU to get.

Top Bottom