• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hoping to get some advice/form checks with some lighter weights.

Squat: The main thing I think I'm doing wrong here is not enough depth? I'm also not sure about the knee position with respect to the toes.

capture3sjsv.png

Motion: http://abload.de/img/squatwajn4.gif

Deadlift: Open to any pointers here. Unfortunately I don't think the camera is in a good position. I still feel like I'm over thinking putting the bar down (second rep) and my head position isn't great in this particular example?

Motion: http://abload.de/img/dlr8jnh.gif

RoeBear

Squat: The main thing I think I'm doing wrong here is not enough depth? I'm also not sure about the knee position with respect to the toes.

Deadlift: Open to any pointers here. Unfortunately I don't think the camera is in a good position. I still feel like I'm over thinking putting the bar down (second rep) and my head position isn't great in this particular example?

Take your shoes off. In the squat gif you can clearly see your heel move.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
But I've lost 13 pounds already. Are you saying my weight fluctuates 13 pounds?
Read closer. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day on the order of several pounds, so you may have lost more than 13lbs or less than 13lbs. If you're going to regularly weigh yourself, it's best to do it at the same time of day everyday (preferably before any eating, drinking, exercise or toilet use) and to use the figures to calculate an average over a period of time.

Zoe

Read closer. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day on the order of several pounds, so you may have lost more than 13lbs or less than 13lbs. If you're going to regularly weigh yourself, it's best to do it at the same time of day everyday (preferably before any eating, drinking, exercise or toilet use) and to use the figures to calculate an average over a period of time.

You do want to do it after toilet use, especially if you're using a BF/water % scale.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Zero reason to check your weight every day. Weight fluctuates so much from water retention, food, etc. Only results that matter are those in the mirror.

Agreed, weight fluctuations can vary drastically, I can lose 5+lbs of water weight after a work day.

Right now my maintenance @213lbs is 4500-5000 calories. Getting to 220lbs won't happen. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm one of the people who say throw out all scales except your food scale. Weight numbers are deceptive and ain't right except on a very broad scale.

Go by how you feel. Trust what your body tells you.

Tomorrow I shatter my cut. I'm planning on four quesaritos. Fuck this planet, I'm eatin'.

Ashodin

I already do this! :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah good point. I looked at the other reps and I'm not moving it, so maybe I was just in the wrong position to start with? Either way it seems like a bad idea to adjust after.

While you're not going low enough, the main concern is your feet right now. Your heel should never be coming off the ground. Those shoes need to go. Get some flat-soled shoes or even go in socks/barefoot shoes. A lot of people, including myself, like Chuck Taylor's.

Either way, you need to be driving up through the heels, so they must never be coming off the ground like that.

Chocobro

Squat: Lose the shoes and squat barefoot if you can't get either Chuck Taylors or weightlifting shoes. You'll have a more stable base to squat with if you do so.
You're not getting deep enough and I say it's most likely that you don't have the ankle flexibility or dorsiflexion; one of the reasons your heel goes up. Source. You can search for stretches that improve that. You can do something like this to help, I'm sure you can Google search and find a bunch of results.

Deadlift: I really can't say anything because it's not a good camera angle. We can't see how you setup and if you're pulling the slack out of the bar. I notice you're wearing those running shoes in deadlifts as well, best you go barefoot or use Chuck Taylors or Vibrams.

Thanks heaps guys, I'll look into proper shoes. Just experimented with shoes on and off and there is indeed a solid difference (but my gym requires something on your feet I think).

I do also agree with the ankle call, because I feel I can't really go deeper with my current flexibility. So that looks like a great idea to check out too.

Sadetar

Went on a two hour walk today. Not a fast one (had a young kid with me), but I feel I walked a lot so I think I'll leave it at that today. Tomorrow, weights!
Yay! I actually also went for a two hours Nordic walk yesterday. Hopefully these new routines will work brilliantly. :D

Also smashing to hear that you have managed to keep up the good work. :)

Vitanimus

Hi FitnessGAF! I come seeking advice after reading the OP so I'll list my details first:

Height: 6ft
Weight: Just under 13st/182lb
Goal: Something around 11st?
Current Training Schedule: None at the moment, although I have the entire summer free
Current Training Equipment Available: There's a gym 5 minutes walk away.
Comments: I'm pretty sure I'm the epitome of the "skinnyfat" thing. My diet is atrocious so I could really use some advice there, because I'm a bit of a picky eater and I'm trying to branch out a bit in terms of what I eat, because at the moment it's super unhealthy. My main motivation is the myriad of stretch marks that seem to have cropped up overnight on my butt and thighs because they're so fat. I basically wobble EVERYWHERE and I'm surprised I'm not morbidly obese.

At this point, I'll do whatever. A strict diet/food suggestions would be wonderful. I'm also a bit nervous about weights and stuff because I'll probably be going to the gym solo :(

So yeah, any advice is appreciated!

Fuzzery

On week two of iron sport method someone linked awhile back: http://articles.elitefts.com/traini...ing/strongman-training-the-iron-sport-method/

You guys weren't kidding about this shit being tough, 1x10 deadlifts the first week downright murdered me. I took the weekend off afterwards. My gym doesn't have stones or prowlers, so i'm not sure what to do for event training anyhow.

It also doesn't have 18'' boxes, so I just did regular DLs to max this week. Thoughts on 18'' vs regular DLs?

Chocobro

On week two of iron sport method someone linked awhile back: http://articles.elitefts.com/traini...ing/strongman-training-the-iron-sport-method/

You guys weren't kidding about this shit being tough, 1x10 deadlifts the first week downright murdered me. I took the weekend off afterwards. My gym doesn't have stones or prowlers, so i'm not sure what to do for event training anyhow.

It also doesn't have 18'' boxes, so I just did regular DLs to max this week. Thoughts on 18'' vs regular DLs?
If 18" deadlifts are like in this video, you could just hog a bunch of 45lb plates and stack them until you get the appropriate height. Or you possibly use a power rack and adjust the safety bars to get the necessary height. They kind of look like rack pulls.

Fuzzery

If 18" deadlifts are like in this video, you could just hog a bunch of 45lb plates and stack them until you get the appropriate height. Or you possibly use a power rack and adjust the safety bars to get the necessary height. They kind of look like rack pulls.

Yep, that's the one. Yeah, maybe i'll try it with plates, but unless I was training specifically for a strongman event which included these, I don't really see the big advantages over this over the conventional. The larger ROM on the regular lift just hits more. Someone convince me.

Gah, yesterday's workout has kicked my ass.

My legs feels like jelly and my arms like noodles.

I'm all stiff in my back too.

The motivation to miss a workout tomorrow is overwhelming me.

Matugi

Slowly getting back at it. 315x2 on DL and I could a gotten 3 with a little more rest probably. Obviously not where I want to be but my form is much better which is what counts. No lower back pain at all. Cutting and coming off form-related injuries, there isn't much more I could ask for. This was 20lbs more than the last time I did DLs. I think the risk of injury is always in the back of my mind and it keeps me from overexerting, which is fine considering I'm not competing. It's humbling, but it'all be good in the long run, especially once I bulk and get on 5/3/1 and get my numbers up.

Chocobro

Yep, that's the one. Yeah, maybe i'll try it with plates, but unless I was training specifically for a strongman event which included these, I don't really see the big advantages over this over the conventional. The larger ROM on the regular lift just hits more. Someone convince me.

AFAIK, it's probably to get a better lockout because they're able to work with heavier weights (due to the shorter ROM) to improve it and work pass their sticking point. It's like doing deficit deadlifts to get better at getting the weight off the ground.
Someone feel free to correct me because I personally haven't done these, I just happened to watch a lot of fitness videos over the past year lol.

Faiz

I'm nowhere near wanting to post a selfie, but I was ecstatic to notice in the mirror that my back fat is starting to disappear so my lower back is about to come into line with my hamstrings.

It's the small things, sometimes. Being out of the gym for a year and stress eatting through most of it fucked me good...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
T-minus 2 hours until the Quesarito apocalypse signaling my cheat meal.

Gotta keep my willpower high so I don't make it a cheat day.

FOUR STEAK QUESARITOS PLEASE

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
high vs low bar.

thumb position on grip.

People at my gym are so opinionated. I do a high bar squat with my thumb around the bar, I guess my wrist is beneath so I am putting some of the load on my wrist. Is this inherently wrong or bad?

While lowering I tend to lean forward a bit, is that because of I'm putting the bar too close to my neck? I'm definitely not putting it on my neck, that would hurt and I don't think it can take 165lbs.

What do you guys think?

Matugi

high vs low bar.

thumb position on grip.

People at my gym are so opinionated. I do a high bar squat with my thumb around the bar, I guess my wrist is beneath so I am putting some of the load on my wrist. Is this inherently wrong or bad?

While lowering I tend to lean forward a bit, is that because of I'm putting the bar too close to my neck? I'm definitely not putting it on my neck, that would hurt and I don't think it can take 165lbs.

What do you guys think?

Depends on how much you're leaning forward. Sounds like a combination of too much weight and poor form. High bar should have an upright torso.

high vs low bar.

thumb position on grip.

What do you guys think?

Have a photo or video of you squatting?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Depends on how much you're leaning forward. Sounds like a combination of too much weight and poor form. High bar should have an upright torso.

It definitely happens on the 3rd or 4th set when increasing the weight.

I do not take pictures or videos in the gym. Frustrating.

Oh after gym, new personal lowest weight ever: 167.6! YESSSS

On the topic of weighing yourself daily, I actually weigh myself every time I go to the gym (3-4 times a week) and record it in my log book each time. The important part is to not really pay attention to each individual day, but follow the trend. So if I see 185, 186, 185, 187, 184, 184, 182, 184, 181, 183, 179, 183, 179, 182, 176, 181, 180, 178 as my weight for each weigh-in, I'll basically think "OK, looks like I'm losing some amount of weight over the past 17 weigh-ins" and then, if I'm trying to lose weight, I'm probably feeling I'm on the right track, but if I'm trying to gain weight or maintain, then I'd suspect I need to increase my caloric intake slightly. Basically, I think daily or bi-daily weigh-ins are fine as long as you don't pay much attention to any single day.

You're a sick bastard. :(

saw this on reddit

4XthPgR.jpg

connor, wtf are you trying to do

RIP Connor.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
For the first time in months I took a day off yesterday. I won't miss any workouts because I'm just pushing every thing back a day. I was beat to shit yesterday. The Tuesday of DLs working 435-445 for sets of 3 followed by squats and muscle ups Wednesday had me feeling like an 80 year old. I was tired, sore, and mentally drained. Feeling good today and ready to get at it. I think DLing and squatting back to back days needs to change. It's just too much for me now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

You don't need these unless you need work at lockout or somewhere above the knee. Most of the time people do these and rack pulls it's for ego, because you can pull more.

Thsts an old article and not indicative of the actual program. What you're reading is an old strongman article.

Get the book.

For the first time in months I took a day off yesterday. I won't miss any workouts because I'm just pushing every thing back a day. I was beat to shit yesterday. The Tuesday of DLs working 435-445 for sets of 3 followed by squats and muscle ups Wednesday had me feeling like an 80 year old. I was tired, sore, and mentally drained. Feeling good today and ready to get at it. I think DLing and squatting back to back days needs to change. It's just too much for me now.

This is why I structure it.

Squat, bench, dead, fluff and buff day.

Matugi

Dumb question but how often should I do cardio if I want to get toned and lean? I do a 30 min. cardio program 3 times a week. I'm just concerned about losing muscle.

This is the program I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcN3...fQSqIQ&index=8

I think the real question is are you trying to look like Brad Pitt in fight club?

Cardio doesn't kill gainz, but "toned and lean" is such an extremely coded and media-driven phrase it's ridiculous. Lift big weights, adjust your diet as seen fit, etc.

Chocobro

You don't need these unless you need work at lockout or somewhere above the knee. Most of the time people do these and rack pulls it's for ego, because you can pull more.
Yep, I agree. I was only suggesting alternate ways of doing that lift if he really wants to do it to follow the program.

I think the real question is are you trying to look like Brad Pitt in fight club?

Cardio doesn't kill gainz, but "toned and lean" is such an extremely coded and media-driven phrase it's ridiculous. Lift big weights, adjust your diet as seen fit, etc.

I don't get the love for looking like Brad Pitt in Fight Club when there are better bodies to want to aspire to.

I'd much rather have a body like Ryan Reynolds or Ryan Gosling. Dem Canadian genes!

SeanR1221

Just admit you took off to play Mario Kart

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I don't see how anyone could eat plain Greek yogurt on its own.

That's what the powder is for! Vanilla protein powder + fage unflavored = vaniller yogurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom