• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

kay

JudgeN said:
So 11 million is about 250,000 for break even? That doesn't make sense at $20 or so a copy it needs to sell 550k to break even. Thats in line with that developers have said the average PS3 game has to sell to break even.
Probably lower than what I was thinking. But no way is the average PS3 game needs to sell that many because few do.

Actually, I think the number was 500k so..$22. Ah, you were spot on I guess. Probably much less for sequel though, still hope.

kay

Anyways, ENOUGH ABOUT SALES LET US TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC

So amazing, Hitoshi Sakimoto is a god. One piece is eerily reminiscent of Ogre Battle 64, anyone played that and agree?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
kay said:

So amazing, Hitoshi Sakimoto is a god. One piece is eerily reminiscent of Ogre Battle 64, anyone played that and agree?

I loooooooove the OST. So amazing.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zurra said:
i'll never be able to think of Selvaria the same considering her VA also does Cartman's Mom...

Does it matter? Selvaria's English VA is pretty good.

That's like saying you wont buy a videogame or watch an anime because you don't like Johnny Yong Bosch.

JudgeN said:
So 11 million is about 250,000 for break even? That doesn't make sense at $20 or so a copy it needs to sell 550k to break even. Thats in line with that developers have said the average PS3 game has to sell to break even.

Yeah, people tend to forget that the retail cost of the game does not mean profit to the publisher.

It would have to sell far more than 250,000 to break even of the 11 million dollar budget.

Assuming that the publisher is getting $20 you need to sell 550k, then add the fact that you need costs of voice acting, marketing, localization, etc. That means that Valkyria has no chance in hell, unless it magically sells 400,000 copies in America and Europe.

Baha

kay said:

A good 1-2 hours of my final playtime will be attributed to me leaving the game idling, the music brings back memories of FFT.

My goodness, the battle
Where you have to defeat maximillian in the tank
is killing me. I've tried it 2 times now and just quit gaming for the night to do other stuff. It's hard enough destroying all
of his mini turrets on the tank
but it gets worse no matter what because
Selvaria comes either way and causes some problems. I took out the fodder guys perfectly fine, but I had only 4 people left and Selvaria killed Welkin because my engineer had died earlier on :(

Help me! This game is so awesome though! It's like Fire Emblem, meets FF:Tactics(GBA) all in one with a great story line and amazing music. I just want to go on :p

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Assuming that the publisher is getting $20 you need to sell 550k, then add the fact that you need costs of voice acting, marketing, localization, etc. That means that Valkyria has no chance in hell, unless it magically sells 400,000 copies in America and Europe.
The development cost has to include VA. The publisher also gets their cut seperate from the developer slice and it's them that handles the marketing/localization.

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
The development cost has to include VA. The publisher also gets their cut seperate from the developer slice and it's them that handles the marketing/localization.

The Japanese voice acting had a lot of top VA's. That must have cost a pretty penny outside of development costs.

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
The Japanese voice acting had a lot of top VA's. That must have cost a pretty penny outside of development costs.
I'm pretty sure voice acting isn't something considered separate from a game's development costs.

GPsych

Well, I did my part and bought it a week ago. Great game! I just finished chapter 6 last night and I've begun grinding on the skirmishes as you guys have successfully frightened me about the difficulty of chapter 7. I haven't tried it yet. What level should my classes be at in order to successfully tackle the level?

Hcoregamer00

GPsych said:
Well, I did my part and bought it a week ago. Great game! I just finished chapter 6 last night and I've begun grinding on the skirmishes as you guys have successfully frightened me about the difficulty of chapter 7. I haven't tried it yet. What level should my classes be at in order to successfully tackle the level?

Do not grind.

Better tactics and strategy outclass any form of level grinding.

mAcOdIn

GPsych said:
I don't think that chapter 7 is hard because of character levels.
At least on my game what truly made the difference on whether or not chapter 7 was hard or not was character placement on the map. Trust me on your second play through on that mission you'll know where your characters should not be at the end of a certain turn.

zoku88

kay said:

I actually just think most of this music is just average, compared to his other works at least.

I don't remember OB 64 enough to answer, though.

Azzurri

SO how long is the average play through. I just ordered from Amazon and would really like to play it along side my other games on my 360.

Azzurri said:
SO how long is the average play through. I just ordered from Amazon and would really like to play it along side my other games on my 360.

Well, I'm on Ch 8 and I've been playing almost 12 hours... so I'd estimate the game is around the 30 hour mark, maybe a bit longer or shorter depending on how you play. I haven't spent any time on skirmishes or anything.. I've just been playing through the story.

Robobandit said:
Well, I'm on Ch 8 and I've been playing almost 12 hours... so I'd estimate the game is around the 30 hour mark, maybe a bit longer or shorter depending on how you play. I haven't spent any time on skirmishes or anything.. I've just been playing through the story.
When I got to Chapter 8, I clocked in about 18-hours. I'm on Chapter 10, and now I've clocked in 25-hours. (I take my sweet time.)

Oh and, now that I'm on Chapter 10...

Fuck Gregor.

I like the soundtrack to this, but it's far from being Hitoshi Sakimoto's best.

El-Suave

Kagari said:
Hmm, I wonder why GameSpot has not reviewed this yet...

Gametrailers didn't review it either. Ironically those two sites are the ones that were plastered with VC ads one day I was there.
Also I haven't heard anybody talking about playing it on their own time on any podcasts I listen too. Quite sad that even most industry professionals seem gravitate to the games that everybody is playing anyway first and didn't check out this gem.

I finished the game last night a day sooner than I expected. Took me 34 hours I think, not counting the occasional reload I guess. The blockade level (Episode 17) was the hardest one for me personally. I'm glad the AI wasn't that aggressive on every other level.

Am I the only one who likes Hans? He cracks me up every time.

I ordered the soundtrack and the Alicia statue on Yesasia.com, it's a long shot but they still list it as available. I never thought I would be interested in Anime merchandise....

jsrv

Finally got the copy of my game, ended up playing it 7 hours straight. It's as good as I expected. English voice acting sounds good, will try Japanese audio track in new game + after.

Dyne

Ok, I've only really liked this game, but now I LOVE it. Switching to DTS makes the game come alive. I find myself listening to every single conversation rather than skipping them.

I also sat and watched all of Ellet's reports. The voice acting really IS amazing. I also read all of the documents.. yeah, I'm procrastinating the whole sleep thing. I better get on that.

Looking forward to taking on Chapter 7 tomorrow night!

jsrv

A couple questions:

When doing new game +, do the characters you've lost in battle become selectable again?

Can you get more than one copy of the same weapon from enemy aces during new game +? (Ex. Killed a certain ace in previous playthrough, killed him again on current playthrough, since you already got the weapon before, do you get another copy or is 1 the max?)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What exactly is a hidden potential, and how does one unlock it?

I assume the hidden potential is whatever "P" values there are with a dash in it.
I've unlocked it for characters, I just don't know exactly what is required, and I want to unlock them as efficiently as possible for all the other characters.

Dave1988

Azzurri said:
SO how long is the average play through.

Took me a little bit above 20 hours.

jsrv said:
A couple questions:

When doing new game +, do the characters you've lost in battle become selectable again?

Can you get more than one copy of the same weapon from enemy aces during new game +? (Ex. Killed a certain ace in previous playthrough, killed him again on current playthrough, since you already got the weapon before, do you get another copy or is 1 the max?)

1.Yup, The deceased characters return to the roster. I've killed off Oscar to get Emile and on the NG+ he was back in the roster.

2. Yes, you can farm the weapons from aces.

Shadow780

Tempy said:
What exactly is a hidden potential, and how does one unlock it?

I assume the hidden potential is whatever "P" values there are with a dash in it.
I've unlocked it for characters, I just don't know exactly what is required, and I want to unlock them as efficiently as possible for all the other characters.

Just let the recruits defeat enemies, blowout tanks, rescue fallen members, occupy base camps, etc. It'll accumulate some kind of hidden exp everytime and after a battle or two, visit Ellet and she'll say something like "Rising star of Squad 7", and his/her last potential will be unlocked and the personnel tab will be updated with another passage.

For officers' final potential (Alicia, Rosie, etc) you have to purchase reports from Ellet and complete the battle that the report offers.

Xisiqomelir

FINALLY got my pre-order (never pre-ordering from that place again).

Played 8 hours last night, I think this probably has GOTY lock for me.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I got to chapter 9 last night...
the mission with the trains and the bridges and the spotlights.... Everything was going awesome until a lancer hidden in the bushes that my scouts SOMEHOW didn't pick up blew me up from behind...

Awesome scouts... thanks for the help on that one. :lol

Barrett2

Hcoregamer00 said:
It would have to sell far more than 250,000 to break even of the 11 million dollar budget.

Anyone know the avg. dev budget of 360/PS3 game? Is $11,000,000 in-line with the avg., or higher / lower?

Hcoregamer00

lawblob said:
Anyone know the avg. dev budget of 360/PS3 game? Is $11,000,000 in-line with the avg., or higher / lower?

I believe it is lower than average, but it is easily the most expensive SRPG ever made.

I'd love to see the way this game works become the standard for SRPGs. This kind of gameplay with a fully fleshed-out ability system would be amazing. I dare not dream of an FFT2 playing like this. I hate to say it because I adore FFT but VC just might have edged it out as my favorite SRPG.

kiryogi

Banned
kay said:

Actually Sakimoto didn't really have anything to do with Ogre Battle 64. It was mainly Iwata and Matsuo arranging with reused tracks from previous games. And despite the listings, Sakimoto was only ONE of the many composers for Valkyria.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Actually, VA was probably one of the cheapest expenses. VA is pretty cheap to hire nowadays. Sort of why you even seen Top VA in doujin games.

kiryogi said:
Actually Sakimoto didn't really have anything to do with Ogre Battle 64. It was mainly Iwata and Matsuo arranging with reused tracks from previous games. And despite the listings, Sakimoto was only ONE of the many composers for Valkyria.
Are you sure he was just ONE of many? Because I'm looking at the track-list now and he's pretty much listed for everything aside from track 1 on disc 1, and track 25 on disc 2. Those tracks are, apparently, done by JUJU. Track 23 on disc 2 has Megumi Toyoguchi as the singer.

Farnack

Banned
Dave1988 said:
Holy shit!
Juiced up Maximillian
is kicking my butt. HARD. Any tips?
I killed him in one turn.

Take out the three uh... things first. Get one shocktrooper to shoot him up once, line up three more without shooting him, then take a last shock trooper for massive combo damage. Got him in one turn.

kay

El-Suave said:
I finished the game last night a day sooner than I expected. Took me 34 hours I think, not counting the occasional reload I guess. The blockade level (Episode 17) was the hardest one for me personally. I'm glad the AI wasn't that aggressive on every other level.

Hmm, I can't say that there was one particularly hard level, maybe the ones without tanks or the ones with powerful enemy tanks. My general strategy the first time around was just to always lead with the tank(s). Even though they are slow and it takes more turns, it is safest.
My way of defeating Selvaria the first time was to take all the bases and then drive both tanks and put them right in front of her so she couldn't move and eventually died. Before that I used smoke shells on home base so the rest of Squad 7 weren't seen. But then I just used Alicia and beat her in two turns the next time which was insane. I wonder if 1 is possible with a sniper.

kiryogi said:
I know he was not the only one for the game, just pointing out one track was familiar. "war-torn nature" would have fit perfectly into OB64 map screens.

jsrv

Dave1988 said:
1.Yup, The deceased characters return to the roster. I've killed off Oscar to get Emile and on the NG+ he was back in the roster.

2. Yes, you can farm the weapons from aces.

You can only play the story stages once per playthrough though, right?

Baha

Ok I need some help with the Flower of the Battlefield mission.
I've tried using a scout with an engineer and I can make it as far as the 3rd to 5th turn with 2 tanks destroyed but a shocktrooper or scout always makes a run for my base and fails the mission for me. They even ran from the side ignoring the front with my tank effectively capturing the base.

Chp.13 question.
How quickly can Selvaria get to your base after she appears? Also Verrot said something about using tank guns to slow her down, will anti-tank rounds affect her this time. I rushed taking down the mortar base on the 2nd turn and only had a couple of CP left, and the eidelweiss got hit by a gatling bunker. I think I'll take it a bit slower, take out both gatling bunkers, and try to conserve CP for when she shows up.

Baha

Die Squirrel Die said:
Chp.13 question.
How quickly can Selvaria get to your base after she appears? Also Verrot said something about using tank guns to slow her down, will anti-tank rounds affect her this time. I rushed taking down the mortar base on the 2nd turn and only had a couple of CP left, and the eidelweiss got hit by a gatling bunker. I think I'll take it a bit slower, take out both gatling bunkers, and try to conserve CP for when she shows up.

Best thing to do is save the yellow base for last and save up CP (group all your entire team there, I left largo at the beginning and ordered a new lancer from that base). In two turns using scouts, an engineer & a lancer you can capture the enemy base attacking from the right side (the left side is a death trap of shorts with mines). This is easy to do since your scouts have better range than the troopers guarding the base and the lancer can run behind the tents to the tank in 2 turns from the yellow base to destroy the tank. Selveria takes 3+ turns to capture your base and your two tanks will survive (if zaka dies, that's ok).

Baha said:
Ok I need some help with the Flower of the Battlefield mission.
I've tried using a scout with an engineer and I can make it as far as the 3rd to 5th turn with 2 tanks destroyed but a shocktrooper or scout always makes a run for my base and fails the mission for me. They even ran from the side ignoring the front with my tank effectively capturing the base.
I used
a sniper in the center of the map to take out most runners. Try playing more aggressive, I don't believe any of the enemy's tanks made it through the third turn. If you hide in the high grass at the end of each turn, there's a good chance the enemy doesn't spot you. Also try to avoid using the Edelweiss, your recruits can kill twice as many enemies with the same CP.

kay

Die Squirrel Die said:
Chp.13 question.
Ignore those cannons entirely. When the person shows up, shoot them with a tank round and they won't be able to move next round. When you shoot it, go down in the hole with the tank so you are not blown up. Keep someone (a trooper) at the right bottom base or else it could be taken, I don't know if that ends the game though. If you have specific orders, it's easy to take the last base quickly with a scout because even their rifle can destroy the tank in one hit (shooting the back of it with anti-tank up order). Orders really make a lot of later parts of the game pretty easy.
archnemesis said:
I used
a sniper in the center of the map to take out most runners. Try playing more aggressive, I don't believe any of the enemy's tanks made it through the third turn. If you hide in the high grass at the end of each turn, there's a good chance the enemy doesn't spot you. Also try to avoid using the Edelweiss, your recruits can kill twice as many enemies with the same CP.
I would use the tank on the first turn because the enemies are grouped together then and you can get 3 or 4 kills right at the start with one napalm. But make sure not to place the tank in an open spot after, it's actually safer away from the base since the enemy tanks all try to move to a spot where they can aim at it. As for other units, a sniper is good for the enemies you can see but make sure to have them hide in the grass after or they'll likely die. Largo and Rosie might be required if I remember right so use Rosie for the people hidden in the grass using the flamethrower. Largo can be saved for the end to take out the tanks which shouldn't be a problem beforehand if your tank isn't out in the open. As for the other unit, place an engineer on the left to heal the tank or stop the enemies from the grass on the left to take the base.

Top Bottom