• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL PlayStation 3 launch -> May 2007 !!???!!

reminder said:
"We're still on schedule to launch in March," says SCEE boss

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe boss David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that suggestions the European launch of PS3 will be delayed once again are nothing more than 'speculation without foundation'.

Rumours of a delay began to emerge when consumer site CVG published a report quoting an unnamed source as saying the PS3 won't be arriving in March, as planned. The report went on to claim that a September launch date is now likely.

But speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Reeves said, "We're still on schedule to launch PS3 in March throughout the PAL territories. All speculation otherwise is without foundation."

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter agreed with Reeves that talk of a delay is "all speculation", telling GI.biz, "I think that the logic behind a March European launch was that demand would subside in the US sufficiently to allow Sony to divert supply to Europe.

"It's unlikely that supply will outstrip demand any time before June, but Sony could decide to have a soft launch with limited quantities in Europe."

According to Pachter, a delay is only likely to occur if Sony introduces a price reduction for the console. "Now that they have added HDMI to the US$ 499 SKU, they could decide to launch at a lower price point in Europe, and could explain away the delay that way - as in, 'We have to ramp manufacturing of the new and improved SKU.'"

However, Pachter concluded, "It's impossible to know what Sony is up to" - so any suggestions of a delay are merely guesswork.
Related Articleshttp://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21699

"Some guy told CVG it was going to be delayed. We here at gamesindustry.biz don't know one way or another, so we decided to ask this other analyst guy who also has no relevant information. Thank you for letting us waste 3 minutes of your life."

8bit

Knows the Score
Considering how clued up SCEE were about the November > March delay in the first place, I'd think Vic Reeves would have a better idea of when it'll launch.

antiloop said:
"Sony still planning to ship 2M PlayStation 3 units by 2007"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21701

Good luck with that. :)

With 6 million consoles shipped (by march) the Europe launch could go pretty well though.

Okay, they managed to get like 30 000 on sale last week in Japan. Two months of manufacturing produced 250k for their launch, all markets combined. There are only 3 weeks left until 2007. Do you realize how completely LOL-tastic those 6 million statements are? They'll be lucky to have 1 million in stores worldwide by March.

8bit said:
Considering how clued up SCEE were about the November > March delay in the first place, I'd think Vic Reeves would have a better idea of when it'll launch.

Question: if Sony knew it were freaking obvious they'd have to delay their European launch, what do you think the odds are they'd admit it while everyone still has a chance to quit waiting and buy another system for Christmas?

Kolgar

LiveFromKyoto said:
Question: if Sony knew it were freaking obvious they'd have to delay their European launch, what do you think the odds are they'd admit it while everyone still has a chance to quit waiting and buy another system for Christmas?

QFMFT.

Given what's happened up to now, the smart money is on a delay at least until May, if not September. March is simply wishful thinking.

Europeans... It's Wii60 time!

Lain

LiveFromKyoto said:
"Some guy told CVG it was going to be delayed. We here at gamesindustry.biz don't know one way or another, so we decided to ask this other analyst guy who also has no relevant information. Thank you for letting us waste 3 minutes of your life."

David Reeves, who confirms no other delay planned as of now, is an Analyst?
I mean, as much as he could be lieing, we can't get anything more official about no further delays.

"I don't think we need to revise our shipment targets... 2 million and 6 million are within our reach.''

We cannot rule out the possiblity for 6 million units by the end of March '07.

We need to pray!!!

LiveFromKyoto said:
right. we won't know either way for a while, and sony wouldn't admit it now even if they absolutely knew it would have to happen.

i mean, can we take any word from sony europe on this? they didn't know the delay to next year was going to happen until a couple of months out. sony hadn't told THEM what it presumably knew.

i really don't know of any evidence that sony europe gets any better information than we get in press releases coming from sony.

how late did they admit the japanese delay from march to november again? and that was despite EVERYONE else including all the software developers making launch titles saying 'no way is it going to be march 06'.

i really hope sony get the ps3 out in europe this march... but there is no way we can trust ANYONE from sony saying that march is a lock at this point.

until we see a big increase in hardware supplies coming to america and japan, it's just sony's word for it, which has on more than one occasion not exactly been reliable with regards to when a system would launch.

Jonsoncao

Banned
AniHawk said:
It's simply a matter of timezones. Thursday in America might be Friday in Japan.

And November 2006 in America could be May 2007 in Europe.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

nice point

and one guy in Asus factory in China said sony could not manufacture even 1m ps3 this year

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
LiveFromKyoto said:
I'd think you'd have to qualify what constitutes "freaking obvious" to Sony, given how few units they were willing to launch with in two other major territories.

vag 2.0

I like how people are suggesting EU consumers flock to Nintendo because Sony is shafting them, with the Virtual Console running things at 50hz, terribly short supply (my pre-order from October hasn't been fulfilled yet) and a lot of US/JP launch titles being "TBC/2007" for Europe.

We get the shaft with every product, the solution is importing, not perpetuating the NINTENDO/SONY/MICROSOFT is dying nonsense.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
If Sony did know they were going to be late the smartest thing to do is not say anything.

If gamers know they've got another 6 months to wait for a PS3 they may just get a 360.

Better to let March roll around and then be "well it's going to be another couple months now guys." Makes the delay easier to swallow.

Handing this generation to Microsoft and Nintendo is an understatement. Sony can't even get enough consoles to the US and Japan, so I think the delay is confirmed. Then again, they could just release 10,000 consoles for Europe in March and call it a day. You couldn't say it was delayed then, right?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Okay....so umm....this isn't good for anyone.

European gamers will be ****ed.
Sony will be ****ed (by Nintendo and MS).

Shouldn't they just launch with 100K in the UK or something to at least take away some of the "thunder" from its competitors? They'd be stupid if they didn't. People need to be distracted or else PS3's "battle in Europe" will end up in Peter Fils Allardplan hands (intentional mispelling of compilation of names)

Blame!

anyone here willing to bet their accounts on whether sony hits their march launch date?

(what is their launch date anyways?)

Top Bottom