• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can the Switch run Rocket League

Yes it can, and believing it can't is drinking "lol third parties on Nintendo" koolaid that many on this board seem content to drive by shitpost everywhere without literally five seconds of thought.

ultrazilla

Well we know the Switch can run Unreal Engine 4 and Rocket League uses that engine. I would say it it's a no brainer really. Whether we'd get 1080p/60fps is another story......

Seems like a great fit for the Switch, especially considering the multiplayer aspects. Hopefully we'll get an announcement at E3?!

Well we know the Switch can run Unreal Engine 4 and Rocket League uses that engine. I would say it it's a no brainer really. Whether we'd get 1080p/60fps is another story......

Seems like a great fit for the Switch, especially considering the multiplayer aspects. Hopefully we'll get an announcement at E3?!
I think it's UE3 not 4.

Yeah, and the Psyonix team is already interest in the idea:

Psyonix said:
“We are excited as you are regarding the release of Nintendo Switch however, we don’t have enough information at this time if it will happen,”

“For the meantime, let’s both keep our fingers crossed that it will.”

ultrazilla

[B said:
Jaded Alyx[/B];232001018]I think it's UE3 not 4.

Jaded you're right. I stand corrected! :)

They considered moving to Unreal Engine 4 during development but decided to just stick with UE3.

Sora-That's awesome! Fingers crossed for sure! I'd double dip in a heartbeat(have it on PC).

Oare

I haven't tried in a couple of months, but last I remember, my i7 3610HQ laptop with a GTX 660m couldn't even reach 60fps in 720p without dialing down graphics at least in some stages like Aquadome.
That's a 641.3 GFLOPS GPU. I'm sure it doesn't translate 1:1, but if I'm not mistaken it's roughly 2.5 times more than Switch in docked mode? And something like 4 times more than portable mode?

EloKa

make it run: sure
make it perform at 1080/60fps: maybe?
keep the current control scheme: doubtful. You would neccessarily need a Pro Gamepad

Brofield

I think it's feasible. A drop to 900p and 60fps with enough graphical details removed sounds like one such possibility, especially if it means 8 player local portability with 720p/60fps.

What would really impress me is if we could do local wireless multiplayer between two Switches connected to two TVs and 8 controllers.

At the very least, count me in the camp that would double dip, even on the DLC cars. I'm sooner going to own more controllers for the Switch than on PS4, and I do love my local multi

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The game is not about the visuals and it runs on Unreal ... yeah, they can do it no problem.

Hell, they can even give it motion controls.

JoshHood

It's seems doable on a technical level - I tend to think that the issue here might more be community. I don't know how keen the team would be to make a version with a likely pretty small player base, if they weren't able to work with Nintendo on cross-play (at least with PC). If the base is small and exclusive, you risk giving people a bad experience because they can't find matches, and that negatively affects their feeling about the game generally. There could also I guess be issues technically with the higher player counts of splis-screen or something that might affect the value proposition, or they don't want to do the game on a platform that doesn't have vidcap/streaming yet given their e-sports slant.

Then you've gotta consider that this is a live game way more than a lot of other indies announced to come over so far. How much development time does it add to a new map/event for a potential lower player base, if they ship simultaneously, or is it even worth it to do it later? In fact, are there even any games out on Switch or announced yet with crate-style microtransactions?

The switch I believe could quite comfortably run rocket league in some form. It's quite lucky that gameplay trumps visuals on this game, no matter what. They could keep that part up to scratch easily enough. It just needs massively pairing back in the visual department. Replace the turf with a flat surface, simplify the stadiums etc and cars and it would play nicely.

The answer to that question is...

...it fucking better run on the Switch. I'm ready and willing throw my dollars at it whenever they want to put it out.

nynt9

Um yeah? The Switch can run literally every next gen game and probably the PS3/360 aswell (Hell 360 even ran ROTR and it looked fine, and ROTR on XB1/PS4 hardly looks like shit so that's not the reason either)

It's just a matter of time and money and in most cases the returns wouldn't be worth it, but there's nothing really stopping them if a publisher actually wanted to put it on the Switch.

I'm not sure if that's entirely true. Sure, maybe with grave compromises, but I doubt it can run FFXV (which already struggles on current gen consoles) or Battlefield 1 or Shadow of War without significant compromises, to the point that they wouldn't be the same game anymore.

I really don't see any reason why Switch couldn't run Rocket League in some capacity. Switch could probably run Rocket Leagues at 60fps at a respectable resolution to boot, depending on the visuals.

Digital triggers neuter high-level play though

like there really ought to be an alternative control scheme where the right analog stick is acceleration/braking

RGamer2009

Neo Member
I think its less on whether the hardware can run the game in single player, but more on whether the hardware can run it in Split Screen.

Mario Kart in split screen takes a frame dive in split screen, and Rocket League demands precision movement.

The more interesting bit to me is considering if a single Joy-con controls would even be possible for Rocket League. We know the Joy-con grip and the Pro controller are obvious controls for this game, but every switch has 2 Joy-cons, and split screen Rocket League on the go sounds awesome for multiplayer!

So for a made up control scheme for a single joycon sideways:

- Move with the Joystick.
- Face buttons are Boost, Jump, Ball Cam, and Powerslide.
- + and - become Start for each Joy-con.
- Share Button still Shares.
- Shoulder Buttons are Drive and Brake.
- Optional Gyro Motions for Camera Control.
- Hold L and press a face button/Analog Stick for Quick Chat Commands.

I believe that is every essential control for the game taken care of on a single Joy-con.

jdstorm

Banned
I haven't tried in a couple of months, but last I remember, my i7 3610HQ laptop with a GTX 660m couldn't even reach 60fps in 720p without dialing down graphics at least in some stages like Aquadome.
That's a 641.3 GFLOPS GPU. I'm sure it doesn't translate 1:1, but if I'm not mistaken it's roughly 2.5 times more than Switch in docked mode? And something like 4 times more than portable mode?

Your Switch Specs seem a little low. Isnt it closer to 200GFlps (HH) and 400GFlps (Docked) in adition to the benefits of more modern architecture? Edit: and potentially a CPU thats better then both console twins?

Seems like 720p docked and without a few effects seems about right though

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Ding ding ding! Destiny and GTAV were also on last gen hardware.

Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 2 aswell. Both great examples of current gen games that can be down ported to much less powerful hardware because the publisher saw the potential to make revenue there.

The dirty secret of this "next generation" is that most of the games could have ran on PS3 and 360 (you can search YouTube for games like The Witcher 3 running on PC's weaker than those consoles). Considering Switch apparently has 3.2GB's of RAM for games and a modern GPU which is roughly 1/3 of the Xbox One GPU while also supporting the latest engines and tools, the only major tech issue would be the CPU.

They just got tomb raider 2013 runnig on the shield TV natively which is essentially the bones of the nintendo switch. So I'd imagine it is possible with some sacrifices (runs at 720p).

https://youtu.be/3jzgeuWMqws

Now imagine it optimised around the low level Switch API and it's hardware strengths and weaknesses.

Nasbin

Do people not understand the concept of bottlenecks? It doesn't matter how low you tweak the reso, you could try running the game at 480p with 0 AA/AF and it still wouldn't hit a near-consistent 60 fps because of the CPU limitations. You can't just throw money at problems - physics demand sacrifices.

gtj1092

Are there any non racing 3-D games running at 60fps on switch? Everyone seems so sure it can run the game at 60 fps but of the DF comparisons I've seen 60fps ps4 games have run at 30 fps on switch.

Linear racing games usually are show cases for new hardware for a reason they are easier to render. But they have no bearing on how other games will perform.

Edit: where is this idea coming from that the switch has more CPU processing power than ps4/X1?

Are there any non racing 3-D games running at 60fps on switch? Everyone seems so sure it can run the game at 60 fps but of the DF comparisons I've seen 60fps ps4 games have run at 30 fps on switch.

Linear racing games usually are show cases for new hardware for a reason they are easier to render. But they have no bearing on how other games will perform.

Edit: where is this idea coming from that the switch has more CPU processing power than ps4/X1?

I think people are saying that the Jaguar cores aren't really all that great. And that the a57s / a72s are better cores overall butnot more powerful based on the configuration when compared to the xone or PS4.

Jacobson

mario odyssey would probably run at 60fps, but we won't know for sure until later in the year

_Clash_

I wonder if Nintendo aren't too keen on rocket league coming

1. Massive install base on other systems. Not really a system seller.
2. Game as a service model(ish). Takes gamers away from buying other games
3. Overlap with the kind of games Nintendo wants to make and charge full price for.

#theory

newsguy

I own RL on every platform, and would probably play it exclusively on the switch simply because it frees up the tv so everyone can enjoy it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

3. Overlap with the kind of games Nintendo wants to make and charge full price for.

#theory

lol
That doesnt make much sense.

Kolx

They can always downgrade/optimize the game for the switch. It's a matter of whether they think it's worth the effort.

#theory

Nintendo needs multiplayer focused games like Rocket League to push people to pay for their online service. I know people who pay for PS+ only because they want to play Rocket League.

btrboyev

Do people not understand the concept of bottlenecks? It doesn't matter how low you tweak the reso, you could try running the game at 480p with 0 AA/AF and it still wouldn't hit a near-consistent 60 fps because of the CPU limitations. You can't just throw money at problems - physics demand sacrifices.

Why do you assume the CPU is a bottleneck?

Hermii

An early leak. The leaker knew about a57 but didn't know the final clockspeed. The leaker backpedaled on that statement when eurogamer released their article so it's no longer valid.

Top Bottom