• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders manage to get Grand Theft Auto V to run on the Nintendo Switch

Draugoth

Gold Member
A group with access to the leaked Grand Theft Auto V source code worked for a while until they finally managed to make Grand Theft Auto V for the Nintendo console.

The modder team Superstar South have been able to get the game working on the Nintendo Switch…at least to some degree according to GamesRadar+. The clips shown on social media show the game immediately crashing before loading. With some more work, they got the first heist to be playable…while it is really bad quality so far.

As we can see, Grand Theft Auto V is indeed running natively on the Nintendo console, but the performance is a complete disaster, with the game crashing non-stop. It is likely that this group will continue to work on this Switch version of the game, so performance may improve over time, but before that happens, the group could be sued.

Last edited:

wvnative

I don't know why people thought the Switch couldn't run it.

The issue is likely one of capacity, not processing power. GTA online brings the total size to over 100gbs and rockstar isn't going to release just the single player game on switch.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
A group with access to the leaked Grand Theft Auto V source code worked for a while until they finally managed to make Grand Theft Auto V for the Nintendo console.

The modder team Superstar South have been able to get the game working on the Nintendo Switch…at least to some degree according to GamesRadar+. The clips shown on social media show the game immediately crashing before loading. With some more work, they got the first heist to be playable…while it is really bad quality so far.

As we can see, Grand Theft Auto V is indeed running natively on the Nintendo console, but the performance is a complete disaster, with the game crashing non-stop. It is likely that this group will continue to work on this Switch version of the game, so performance may improve over time, but before that happens, the group could be sued.

How is it possible that the game does not run smoothly, if it came out on PS3, a console inferior to the Nintendo Switch

Dazraell

Rockstar's lawyers after hearing these news

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably if they had 360/ps3 build, they would be able to get it running nice
Based on the article that's the one they're using...with some downgrades by the looks of it.

Deerock71

Based on the article that's the one they're using...with some downgrades by the looks of it.
It's completely unoptimized, but it's running. They're probably going to release a GTA V Sigma on the Switch when GTA VI releases everywhere else.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's completely unoptimized, but it's running. They're probably going to release a GTA V Sigma on the Switch when GTA VI releases everywhere else.
I mean yeah, Rock* would be able to get it running.
They are literally running code that's not designed for the Switch's chip set
Interesting. I remember seeing that switch is the same speed as 360.... or was it wii u
I remember the Wii U was supposed to be equal to PS3/360.
The Switch is an odd one.
My phone is more powerful based on its chip set in theory and it's 5 years old but it ain't as powerful as a 360 or PS3.
It can do graphics that look impressive in the games it produces but it wouldn't run GTAV.
The Switch is different to that despite being lower spec to my phone on paper.
But It probably can run GTAV equally to the 360 because of those differences.

Mahavastu

How is it possible that the game does not run smoothly, if it came out on PS3, a console inferior to the Nintendo Switch
first when you do such projects, you are trying to get it running at all. Then you try to get it stable, THEN you do the optimizations.

They are probably very proud about how far they came, that they can run small quests without crashing. performance is not important yet and will come later
I assume that they are also using no compiler optimizations now, to ease development

Last edited:

mrcroket

I mean yeah, Rock* would be able to get it running.
They are literally running code that's not designed for the Switch's chip set

I remember the Wii U was supposed to be equal to PS3/360.
The Switch is an odd one.
My phone is more powerful based on its chip set in theory and it's 5 years old but it ain't as powerful as a 360 or PS3.
It can do graphics that look impressive in the games it produces but it wouldn't run GTAV.
The Switch is different to that despite being lower spec to my phone on paper.
But It probably can run GTAV equally to the 360 because of those differences.
That's because people who say their 2017 smartphone was more powerful than the switch are doing so by comparing only the cpu, something that makes no sense. The switch "tegra x1" gpu is vastly superior to the gpu of contemporary qualcomm chips, it's like saying your 2014 $400 laptop with integrated gpu was better than the PS4 because of the CPU.

DaGwaphics

You wouldn't think it would be a problem since this was a PS360 game. Must be a talented group to get something like that working, congrats to them.

Top Bottom