• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend just got his 360 banned, presumably for downloading Rayman Legends.

MormaPope

Banned
i highly advise you to wait because theres a chance that this thing is over now. people got banned over the course of the weekend but for different stuff meaning they still ban over the weekend.

there hasnt been a user who reported a ban for this kind of stuff for more than 24 hours i think

I'm only tempted due to the sporadic nature of this whole situation. I'd rather have Microsoft issue a statement, explain their future policy and such, then penalties are rolled out to everyone involved.

Instead everyone is kept in the dark. No one knows what is actually going on, random penalties and consequences. Feels like any other corporation or company would at least be somewhat predictable in this scenario, no one has a clue what Microsoft's people thinking or doing right now.

Ghazi

They don't have Xbox marketplaces. If you lived in Oman or Bosnia and made a native account, you almost certainly wouldn't have stumbled upon these freebies by accident.
All someone would've had to have done is typed in a game into the bing bar and they would've found it. That's why I'm fairly positive that this glitch was found by someone in their home region (Oman or Bosnia)

They don't have Xbox marketplaces. If you lived in Oman or Bosnia and made a native account, you almost certainly wouldn't have stumbled upon these freebies by accident.

So what? That would imply that simply opening up the marketplace app with a non-marketplace supporting regional account is a bannable offense.

If or when my console/account get banned, it'll be interesting to say the least. It'll be like 2004 for me all over again, no internet access to a console, no updates, no marketplaces. Just discs and the console itself.

The only shitty thing now is when the fuck am I going to get banned? I'm half tempted to turn myself in and explain the process to Microsoft support just to get more info to spread here.

Never the DEA, Heisenberg. Never that.

Zoe

he probably means theres no marketplace for these countries

im not sure why hes repeating that everytime though because it was still easy as fuck to download the games.

just a simple bing search. not exactly an exploit.

The vast majority of games on the service simply errored out. Someone did the work to find the ones that could be exploited.

All someone would've had to have done is typed in a game into the bing bar and they would've found it. That's why I'm fairly positive that this glitch was found by someone in their home region (Oman or Bosnia)

Or people were fishing for exploits as they're wont to do.

So what? That would imply that simply opening up the marketplace app with a non-marketplace supporting regional account is a bannable offense.

It's a fairly safe assumption that they're doing IP checks.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn, I couldn't figure out why this thread kept getting bumped, when everyone assumed the guy was fucking around like everyone else that makes these. Can't believe M$ (yes, I'll use that term because they fucking deserve it at this point) they're laying down permanent bans for this. Revoke the license, suspend a couple weeks, at most. But permanent bans? So fucking petty, even for you, M$.

Yep, that's the reasonable response I'd expect for this, considering it was a mistake on their end, but some people on here don't agree with that though.

It's odd they are banning people for this. Isn't this one of the big features for the X1? As in any profile on the console has access to both gold and any content on the console? Not only that, it's been the standard for most of this generation. One purchase benefited every account on that console...

I believe that the guy shared it between two separate consoles though, which got him the ban. Even though there is nothing specifically written against that either, but I wouldn't have tried that for anyone because you never know.

Well, I'm doing my part in getting the word out, as well as I can. Posted a story on a couple freelance sites I write for and have a story written to go in the newspaper I write for later this week. Doubt it'll get any traction, but at least I feel a bit better writing about it and informing people.

Anything put out there about this is always good - if there was a fair, clear warning about this from the start, no one one here or at other legitimate sites like CAG would have thought twice about doing this.

They're banning for that? They said before that this was fine, sharing DLC. In fact I remember Activision having to scramble because Elite originally did not allow this and everyone expected it to.

His ban message was one of the few I've ever seen from the XBL Enforcement Team that actually highlighted a specific line and added specific text outlining the DLC sharing.

Banning people for downloading free games is just asinine. Restrict the software better in other regions, don't place the blame on your customers when the software is free and accessible. The internet makes the world a smaller place. If there is free shit being offered people can and will take advantage of it and that's the bottom line. The blame here should strictly fall on Microsoft.

quick story, kind of related.

I don't own an Xbox360 but I do have a live account that was created when I found a sale for the PC version of Viva Pinata once upon a time. It was like $2.00 or something at the time which I thught was a great deal. Anyhow, I had to create myself a live account to purchase the game and enter my credit card info on Microsoft's site. long story short, I was on vacation maybe 6 months after I bought the game. Someone hacked into my live account and used my credit card to buy gold memberships and games. Shit happens, I get that, but then when I called support I had to fight with them to not only get my money back but REMOVE my credit card from their site. I still to this day have not received all my money back and found out a few years after when I tried to play a steam game that required a live login, that my account was banned which I needed to even play the game. So, yet again I called their shitty support and went through numerous techs to finally get my account un-banned so I can play my game.

The point of that story is that I was basically treated like a criminal through out the whole process, even after proving my authenticity and that I had been stolen from. So I am not in the least bit surprised that people are getting their accounts banned and are treated like criminals in this case either. I have never had that experience ever with Nintendo or Sony. I've never had to jump through so many hoops to get something resolved. So basically, screw Microsoft. I am a guaranteed PS4 customer now next gen. There is no way in hell I'm buying an xbox or any game that requires the shitty live service to be played.

Stories like yours are exactly why I don't want to just sit and accept this, I want to have something done about this. Except that they never answered my forum inquiry days ago and I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get a call-back from MS Support on the phone.

They let people keep Fable II, but they did revoke the license for the Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack earlier this year.

A few people did get accidentally banned for a bug with the Map Pack too, and those bans were reversed.

Yup, that's the proof that they are certainly capable of reversing bans and revoking licenses for their mistakes - which is smarter to do because it actually gives people a chance to properly buy the game or DLC.

People talking about Fable and Halo map packs having licenses revoked should remember those are first party MS studios. I don't know if MS can revoke licenses case by case, or if they had their own programmers do a title update or server side hotfix to manage it for their own game only.

Wasn't the halo map pack thing a title update for the game itself? I remember people still had the maps, they just couldn't use them online.

big_z

tldr of that link : guys duped these 1 month free gold promotions with glitches and got banned for -marketplace theft or duping

Can someone give more details on how this exploit worked? Was it like the Netflix code generator or the create silver accounts and click the dashboard ad to get a free month gold code trick?

I've seen a handful of people say they also took part in this recent gold trick while reading up on this ordeal, I wonder if its related to the bans.

excowboy

Still can't believe there's been no press response on this, especially given the XB1 all digital angle - not to mention it's Microsoft's mistake and the response has been so disproportionate. Wonder if any journos have been told to back off, and duly obliged?..

JdFoX187

Banned
Still can't believe there's been no press response on this, especially given the XB1 all digital angle - not to mention it's Microsoft's mistake and the response has been so disproportionate. Wonder if any journos have been told to back off, and duly obliged?..

I submitted a request for comment, haven't heard anything back. Wrote an op-ed on it that's been published online, and have a similar one primed for my paper this week. But that's it. I saw that one N4G article and nothing else. Surely they know about this. Probably don't want to piss off big brother ahead of the Xbone launch. They want their goodies.

big_z

I submitted a request for comment, haven't heard anything back. Wrote an op-ed on it that's been published online, and have a similar one primed for my paper this week. But that's it. I saw that one N4G article and nothing else. Surely they know about this. Probably don't want to piss off big brother ahead of the Xbone launch. They want their goodies.

According to bl4ck silv4, who has been in contact with various support Microsoft has recently started cracking down on digital content use. even if say you're Canadian and purchase a digital game from the US at full price with American currency you'll be banned. You can not leave your digital region period.

Microsoft is claiming region free but what they didn't say is that it only applies to physical software.

Ghazi

According to bl4ck silv4, who has been in contact with various support Microsoft has recently started cracking down on digital content use. even if say you're Canadian and purchase a digital game from the US at full price with American currency you'll be banned. You can not leave your digital region period.

Microsoft is claiming region free but what they didn't say is that it only applies to physical software.

Wow, that's crazy.

Defect

What the fuck? That's crazy.

Welcome to your digital tomb, idiot customers. - Xbox One (pre-180)

JdFoX187

Banned

I'm not sure I trust the veracity, or knowledge, of the average MS support person. But even if that was the case, why not make some type of announcement for that? Seems so weird to just immediately flip a switch one day and say, "nope, we're banning anyone that purchases anything outside their region -- legitimate or not."

Eanan

Damn all those folk who bought cheap games on demand from the Hungarian marketplace better watch out now then!

This does not bode well for an all digital future. Not saying what people did was moral or not fraud, but revoking your rights to legitimate purchases like this sure doesn't give me a lot of hope for the xbox one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You should mention that he brought it up on this podcast: http://www.1milliongamerscore.com/2013/09/gamerscore-popcast-106.html
At around 33 minutes. He explains how he has several accounts/xbox and describes his experience with support.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm not sure you can necessarily count that - the relevant team may simply not work weekends. It's possible that it's died down, though.

There have been bannings going all week, for different things. I wouldn't necessarily say we're out of the woods, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were done.

big_z

You should mention that he brought it up on this podcast: http://www.1milliongamerscore.com/2013/09/gamerscore-popcast-106.html
At around 33 minutes. He explains how he has several accounts/xbox and describes his experience with support.

Ya I thought I had it linked but my iPod didn't update my post.

I'm not sure I trust the veracity, or knowledge, of the average MS support person. But even if that was the case, why not make some type of announcement for that? Seems so weird to just immediately flip a switch one day and say, "nope, we're banning anyone that purchases anything outside their region -- legitimate or not."

the rules changed when the beta dashboard was first starting to be tested back in July. Its rumored that the new dashboard update has hooks that let them track digital content easier.

My guess is that the recent market place pricing errors forced Microsoft to roll out this new enforcement rule before it was ready. That would explain the randomness in type of ban received.

I don't recall Microsoft ever notifying me of a tos/coc update that I had to agree to though. Does anyone else? Not sure if that's legal practice or not.

Thomasnoki

Neo Member

It is a standard reply from enforcement team. I got 2nd reply from MS. They just said my console been banned because it is against the Code of Conduct to create and account with a different region or change your region to a region you are not located in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is a standard reply from enforcement team. I got 2nd reply from MS. They just said my console been banned because it is against the Code of Conduct to create and account with a different region or change your region to a region you are not located in.
What's weird is that he has 400k gamerscore and is basically on a podcast with the guy who has 900k gamerscore, so of all the people to actually ignore and not bother with, it's him. Apparently he has some form of direct access to people at MS though, so maybe he'll get his stuff sorted out.

Yagharek

Special treatment for notable people, permanent bans for everyone else.

Also, rrod was ignored by media for a year, so this will go unnoticed.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Well fuck, I purchased Guilty Gear via my US account when Arc botched the launch on XBLA because I really wanted to play the game and there was no certainty it would be released in my region.

skybaby

My region's marketplace has a paltry selection, and I created my US account back on the original xbox. Next time I download something from the US I will get the ban then?
Nice knowing you xbox

Lima

My region's marketplace has a paltry selection, and I created my US account back on the original xbox. Next time I download something from the US I will get the ban then?
Nice knowing you xbox

We don't know.

That is what is so shitty about this situation.

The silence is bullshit and does nothing to "protect the Live service and its members" as Microsoft claims.

Dunan

As a genuine, 100%-legitimate "multiregional" person -- I was born in the US, my permanent address and credit card billing address are there, but I reside now in Japan and speak and read both English and Japanese well enough to play games in both languages -- this is appalling and discriminatory. It is not the least bit unreasonable to expect and demand the right to play games in any language that you can read, regardless of where you happen to be physically present at any moment.

JdFoX187

Banned
Yeah, I'm still not sure about all of that. It flies in the face of everything Microsoft has been saying for months now. I still chalk it up to some minimum wage CS employees that don't know what they're talking about.

Lima

As a genuine, 100%-legitimate "multiregional" person -- I was born in the US, my permanent address and credit card billing address are there, but I reside now in Japan and speak and read both English and Japanese well enough to play games in both languages -- this is appalling and discriminatory. It is not the least bit unreasonable to expect and demand the right to play games in any language that you can read, regardless of where you happen to be physically present at any moment.

I also think a ban for circumventing regional prices is bullshit (which Microsoft have added to their ToS in the July update).

Microsoft, Apple etc. surely like to go to Asia for cheap labour and that is called globalisation.

AndrewPL

If that is their new policy, then this is no way to go about it!

Turn off region switching for the console and make it a process you have to apply to go through. (with proper warning messages)

Console banning is no way an acceptable way to deal with this issue*

(if this is an issue or not, is another discussion)

Truespeed

So by simply buying content outside of your region you are now subject to being banned. Just incredible. No wonder so many people hate this company. It explains all of the reputation managers they hire to balance the hate written about them.

big_z

Special treatment for notable people, permanent bans for everyone else.

Also, rrod was ignored by media for a year, so this will go unnoticed.

It's been shown In The past if you're a known personality or have a large online following you'll get special priority treatment. Microsoft likes to keep anything that could be negative on the down low.

I think it was silv4 that mentioned that some of the people that got in on the Oman/rayman thing are people Microsoft uses or has used with advertising Xbox. Guarantee nothing happens to them.

So by simply buying content outside of your region you are now subject to being banned. Just incredible. No wonder so many people hate this company. It explains all of the reputation managers they hire to balance the hate written about them.

Lots of money in regional pricing, just ask the Canadian telecoms. Person A could live a mile away from person B in the province over and pay 3 times the price on services.

LQX

I guess this is being put in place because of XB1 mostly digital future. You wouldn't want Australians buying games for half the price in say America.

Seems like bad business decision though as you totally cut off the customer rather than still getting their money.

AndrewPL

I guess this is being put in place because of XB1 mostly digital future. You wouldn't want Australians buying games for half the price in say America.

Seems like bad business decision though as you totally cut off the customer rather than still getting their money.

exactly this, I signed up for a US PS+ account and bought a Vita because I wanted to play Chrono Cross & Legend of Mana (as well as get FF7, 8 & 9 for 50% of what it cost in NZ/Australia)

In the next 3-5 years I can see regional digital pricing disappearing as more and more people are just going to avoid being gauged by unfair pricing practices.

Top Bottom