• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Resident Evil to you, and what is your history with the franchise?

gforguava

Played most of the games as they came out. The original was a truly fantastic experience, though it took me a while to warm to its style("Running out of ammo?" "Finite saves?!"). But once I was in I was hooked. Really enjoyed RE2+3 but could definitely feel the pull towards the action part of the series' DNA. I was initially impressed with RE4, thinking that they found a way to pivot into a more action heavy approach successfully but unfortunately that was short lived(I find RE4 gets progressively worse the longer it goes on). RE5 made me hate myself for not knowing better.

REmake and RE0 felt like exactly what I want from this series.

Skipped 6 and will most likely do the same with 7.

To me Resident Evil is the limited resources, fixed camera angles, save rooms, and cheesy horror. Once you start removing those you start to lose what the series is and at this point Resident Evil is completely gone.

televator

Horror. What kind? Prolonged tension capped by moments of jump scares and crazy bosses.

Once that's been experienced, action and speed running is the name of the game.

Primarily, it's horror though. If it's not scary, it's not a Resident Evil game that I care for.

I had played a few of the early games here and there, but it wasn't until Resident Evil 4 that I got into the series. That game remains one of my favorite games of all time, but it seems to be an anomaly in the series as none of the game before or after has quite gotten my attention like that one did. I did enjoy playing 5 in co-op quite a bit, however. That's probably the closest game to 4 than any of the others.

I was introduced to the series by my much older cousin. He was visiting from out of state, and he brought his PS1 with RE2. One night he invited my sister and I to come watch him play (I was middle school age at the time). I remember finding the game terrifying, but as a fan of horror movies, I loved it. It was the first time I was exposed to a scary game.

I later got my own copy of RE2 for N64, followed by Code Veronica for Dreamcast. Both RE2 and CV are still my favorites in the series today. Then when the GameCube came along I bought every RE title I could get. I got REmake, RE0, RE4. Loved them all. Even though people complain about the GameCube missing out on a lot of third party titles, I never even noticed any deficiency, because RE was my #1 favorite third party franchise and the GameCube got all of the best ones in the series.

Later on when RE5 was unveiled as a full-blown action shooter I started to lose my enthusiasm for the series. It felt like the survival horror genre was dying. I eventually did play RE5 and actually enjoyed it a lot - since I also enjoy shooters as a genre, both first-person and third-person. Even though it was a shooter, it was still really unique compared to others on the market. It still had a tone and atmosphere that fit into the RE4 framework. RE6 was different though, it threw away the RE identity completely, I could not find one single redeeming thing about it. Just felt like another generic military-themed shooter, and I can't stand those.

So I suppose RE for me is everything RE1-5 were, but with a strong preference for the fixed-camera + nonlinear-exploration style of gameplay. I'm not closed-minded and I'm open to the series changing itself, as it is with RE7, so long as it maintains the RE identity (which to me, isn't solely defined by any single game in the series) and a compelling horror atmosphere.

Rocketz

Resident Evil is RE2 and RE3 to me. The horror aspect is why I enjoy these games. RE7 looks cool but I'm really looking forward to REmake 2. I don't know what makes RE7 a Resident Evil game other than it's name right now. I haven't played the demo yet since I'm not allowed on Xbox. I think that's changing?

I remember going to my friends house and playing through Claire's side with him since they had to buy the disc from the local video store as their dog destroyed the Leon disk.I still remember the day when we finally beat beat the game.

We both played RE3 together as well on his PS1 since I never had one. I don't think we ever beat 3.

I played through 4 a few times and it's a fantastic game but it doesn't hit the notes that 2&3 did with me.

Never played Rev 1 but did play and really enjoyed Rev 2. The episodic nature of that game I really enjoyed and I would definitely be down for a Rev 3

5 was fine but it wasn't really Resident Evil anymore and I never bothered with 6.

I have REmake on my Xbox and only have touched it for like an hour. Will beat it someday.

RE1:
Awesome game, actually bought it because I bought the action figures like a week before and liked them so much I wanted the game(I was like 8 years old)

RE2:
Situation was cool but didn't do much for me at all because I wasn't that interested in the story or characters.
Didn't find it near as horror as 1.

RE3:
Loved it, glad Jill was back Nemesis was unforgettable.

CV:
Kinda meh, Chris and Wesker saved the game though.

REmake:
Top 3 game of all time, can't be topped by a RE or even a Survival Horror game in general.
As a 12/13 year old I seriously took huge breaks like every 20-30 minutes as the tension just destroyed me.

RE0:
Eh, I like Rebecca I guess

RE4:
Never cared for Leon in 2 but they gave him a favorite VA of mine and kept me interested.
Story was awful(didn't deserve the 4) but at the time was the best gameplay of all time.
Umbrella already dead is one of gamings biggest wet blankets.

RE5:
The True RE4 story, some negatives gameplay wise to support co-op.
Loved the story and characters, whole race controversy kinda screwed Jill over but whatever.
Co-op on Professional difficulty with my friend was probably my favorite game experience of all time.
2nd favorite, upthere right after REmake.

RE6:
Loved Chris campaign though others were meh, but still thought the game was an incredible value.

Revelation 1:
loved it as a side game, had some incredible moments.
Ghost Ship in Raid is one of the best features of the series.

Revelations 2:
Felt more like the true RE5/RE6 mainline game just with a lower budget.
Incredible game all the way through.
Moira actually turned out to be a great character.

RE7:
im honestly worried its a low end side game/spinoff

Operation Raccoon City:
Bad but incredibly fun multiplayer and seeing new elements/areas of the Raccoon City outbreak im always interested in seeing.

Really the characters are what I care about in this series, everything else is secondary.
when I think zombies, Resident Evil 1, Spencer Mansion and STARS are my immediate thought.

ZeroCDR

My first experience was renting the original RE back in 1996, I still didn't even own a memory card for my PS1!

So basically I'd play for as long as I could stand it or until I died, wrestling with and learning the controls along the way. Which admittedly were a huge turn off at the time, but the appeal of game made me want to get used to it and eventually it clicked.

I never beat it on rentals, especially without a memory card, the game was very scary to me and I could only take so much. I was so engrossed all the same and pushed a little further each time I started. When I finally got a memory card and my own longbox copy of the game for my birthday, I was able to enjoy it at my own pace and get comfortable with it.

I've been a huge fan ever since. Bought Directors Cut just to play the RE2 demo, and when the actual game came out and surpassed my expectations.. One of the finest moments in gaming for me.

I do like both the classic games and the action ones, most of them work very well for what they set out to do. RE6, CV and 0 being the ones I don't have too much regard for, but I still enjoy them on some level when I play them.

Resident Evil is the first game to have a significant impact on me as a person who enjoys games. I had been playing countless hours of games on multiple systems, but it was that first moment at a friend's house in middle school when we popped in his brother's copy of Resident Evil on the PS that I remember gaming taking the next step.

That first, iconic shot of an infected panning to look at you. The jump scare of the hallway. Moonlight Sonata. All of this changed the way I looked at gaming. The series holds a special place in my heart, no mater how critical I may be of its recent transgressions ;).

Will post some pics when I get home.

RE1:
Awesome game, actually bought it because I bought the action figures like a week before and liked them so much I wanted the game(I was like 8 years old)

RE2:
Situation was cool but didn't do much for me at all because I wasn't that interested in the story or characters.
Didn't find it near as horror as 1.

RE3:
Loved it, glad Jill was back Nemesis was unforgettable.

CV:
Kinda meh, Chris and Wesker saved the game though.

REmake:
Top 3 game of all time, can't be topped by a RE or even a Survival Horror game in general.
As a 12/13 year old I seriously took huge breaks like every 20-30 minutes as the tension just destroyed me.

RE0:
Eh, I like Rebecca I guess

RE4:
Never cared for Leon in 2 but they gave him a favorite VA of mine and kept me interested.
Story was awful(didn't deserve the 4) but at the time was the best gameplay of all time.

RE5:
The True RE4 story, some negatives gameplay wise to support co-op.
Loved the story and characters, whole race controversy kinda screwed Jill over but whatever.
Co-op on Professional difficulty with my friend was probably my favorite game experience of all time.
2nd favorite, upthere right after REmake.

RE6:
Loved Chris campaign though others were meh, but still thought the game was an incredible value.

Revelation 1:
loved it as a side game, had some incredible moments.
Ghost Ship in Raid is one of the best features of the series.

Revelations 2:
Felt more like the true RE5/RE6 mainline game just with a lower budget.
Incredible game all the way through.
Moira actually turned out to be a great character.

RE7:
im honestly worried its a low end side game/spinoff

Operation Raccoon City:
Bad but incredibly fun multiplayer and seeing new elements/areas of the Raccoon City outbreak im always interested in seeing.

Really the characters are what I care about in this series, everything is secondary.

Excellent points all around but I would argue that Code Veronica is the true RE4.

Have hope with RE7.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten into the series ever since Resident Evil 2 and have played almost every entry, even the light gun games. I have enjoyed each one and have no hatred to the ones that play differently from the originals. Resident Evil 4 is quite possibly my favorite or second favorite game of all time. For me, the series goes like this:

Resident Evil 1-3: The Survival Horror Trilogy.

Resident Evil 4-6: The Action Horror Trilogy.

Resident Evil 7-9: The 'Found Footage' and First Person Horror Trilogy?

Resident Evil 10 should be another new shift.

I'm hoping that one day they find a good middle ground mixture between intricate non-linear puzzle based design and the amazing pacing and gameplay highs of Resident Evil 4. To me a title like that would be a masterpiece.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I consider Code Veronica a great game, but also the experimental half step that helped RE 4 to exist.

Something about it felt like a side story though(or an epilogue to RE 1-3). Honestly if Wesker wasn't in it, I would have treated it as such.

Jawmuncher

I consider Code Veronica a great game, but also the experimental half step that helped RE 4 to exist.

Something about it felt like a side story though(or an epilogue to RE 1-3). Honestly if Wesker wasn't in it, I would have treated it as such.

That's the way I see it as well. CVX and Wesker is what really raised that game story wise to me.

darth991

Neo Member
I started with Resident Evil 5 and used to play that a lot with a buddy of mine

Years later played Resident Evil 4 and absolutely loved it and started playing other games in the series

BD1

Banned
I still remember the ad in EGM, the classic shot of Chris Redfield with that crazy "oh shit" look on his face, assault rifle clutched in his hands and shadows of who knows what around him. (This was also the ps1 cover).

It had me hooked, and I had to convince my mom to let me buy it. I never got very far as a kid, the game was beyond me at that point. Once I got to 2 and 3, I could get through the games and loved to play them.

The GameCube games, REmake and RE4, were the pinnacle of the franchise for me and I've been very dissapointed with the series output since then.

I started with RE1 Director's Cut and I've played every main game in the franchise (though I barely played 6). I'm excited to see what they do with 7 and I'm for sure going to pick it up, and hopefully doing so with VR (as long as I can find a headset). The series needed a change and hopefully this is a change in the right direction.

I jumped on board with RE4 and loved it so much that I picked up REmake and Deadly Silence. Then I played 0 and it sort of scared me away from trying the other classic games like Veronica X. I fell off the boat because Resi6 was so bad and I haven't played a new game in the series since.

I'm excited for 7 despite not being into games with a huge horror focus. 7 has already delivered in terms of hokey one-liners though, if they keep that up I'll be set.

Tagyhag

First Resident Evil for me was 4, and it became one of my favorite games of all time.

Having talked with people about it, some were sad that because of its success, the RE series lost its true roots.

So I tried out REmake, 2, 3 and 0 (In that order) and while I enjoyed the different style of gameplay that reminded me of Alone in the Dark, people were also hyping up their stories, characters, and how scary the games were.

I saw none of that in the games. The characters, while serviceable, did nothing for me. The stories were whatever, and the games weren't scary at all. I chalked it up to people having nostalgia for games that they played as kids (I looked up videos of the original RE and man oh man that writing is way too funny to be scary). Especially since I was playing I Have No Mouth when I was 8 (Probably not the best idea dad!), RE was nothing in comparison.

Still, I enjoyed REmake more than RE5 so I consider RE4 and REmake to be in the upper echelon in a series that has room for both playstyles.

I'm not sure about RE7, especially after the mess that was 6, so I'll remain cautious but hopeful.

Daeoc

Before 4 survival horror, 4 mix of action and survival horror, post 4 co-op action game. Would never play 5 or 6 solo. Did not really like RE4, and after that the co-op is why I continue to play. CV is my favorite, but it has been years since I played it. I'm playing through the series (don't plan on playing 5 or 6 again) and am on 3, so looking forward to see if I liked CV as much as I think I did. Also looking forward to giving RE4 another try, since this time I know what to expect, and to playing Revelations 1 & 2 for the first time.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I started from the original RE. I am a news poster for one of the RE fan sites. I have my fair share of collections too, but unfortunately I can't maintain my hobby as I have more commitments like study, work, girlfriend etc.

Wagram

Resident Evil was about horror for me. I started with 1. When 4 released I wasn't opposed to it since change can be good, but I feel like they've gone too far with 5 and 6. It's not horror anymore. I didn't even play 6 because it looked like an abomination from the trailers.

I started with 5 on 360 and I liked it. I also played half of 6 before I gave up. I'm playing 4 right now for the first time and it's incredible.

I've always had a lot of respect for the series, but I've always viewed Dead Space as the king of horror.

Adamastor

My first Resident Evil was RE2. A friend let me borrow it since he bought for his cousin, but seeing as he was on vacation and didn't have his PSOne with him, he thought I'd like it. I played for 20m and didn't like it. For some reason it didn't click... Fast forward to a week later, and I decided to give it one last try. I'm glad I did, because I loved that game but was unable to finish it, since my friend's cousin was leaving and needed the game back. I asked my parents to buy me the game, but by mistake they got me the original. So I started playing the original and loved the game.

Eventually I got the second and I remember at the time getting and playing RE3 with an Action Replay, but seeing as it was a NA release and I lived in Europe, I ended up playing the entire game in black and white. I'm not sure how I solved some of the puzzles to be honest.

Code Veronica wasn't necessarily my favourite when I played it the first time, and I think I may have played it twice. Then came RE4. It was... different. I enjoyed it, but I remember wanting to play the game that was shown a few years prior, the one that got cancelled that had the semi fixed camera angles and switched when you aimed. Super natural RE4. But after that, the series lost most of my interest. I played RE5 just to say I played it, but by the time RE6 came along it just wasn't the RE I wanted to play. 6 was the first one I skipped, not even the re-release has my interest. I miss the tank controls. I think they fit the genre and I really never had any issues with them.

REmake was a godsend. When it came out I bought the Gamecube for that game. 0 was ok, not the best RE but not the worst in my books. And now comes the second remake.

REmake 2 can't come soon enough. I'm really hoping it goes the REmake way and we get the traditional RE back. With little tweaks to the story, new puzzles and areas (like the first remake did) would make a great game even greater. But I'm waiting until we get a trailer to set my expectations accordingly. Just make it like the first REmake is all I want. Then give us REmake 3. While you're at it, I wouldn't say no to Dino Crisis and Onimusha remakes... Dreams don't cost a thing, right?

Oh, and I'll give 7 a shot. Why not? Seems like a return to a horror genre, less action oriented.

I was young. Only had a super Nintendo.
My mom met a lady at a super market and became good friends with her. She invited her over and that lady brought her son who was my age, she told him to come and that there is a kid he can meet and get to know.

This kid brought his play station aND resident evil one. He told me his name and we sat down and he played resident evil one from beginning to end and I watched in awe.

I bought a ps one one the same week and he became my best friend.

I will always love and play every main resident evil no matter how silly it becomes.

-sdp

To me the franchise was all about conspiracy and the games first came out when stuff like X-Files were at their peak and the idea of a big company doing what they could to cover things up was awesome. I don't think they knew where to take the story after the events of 2 and I'm not a fan with their decision and the franchise pretty much lost me after 4.

mokeyjoe

Resident Evil 2 was my first survival horror.
Resident Evil Code Veronica, was one of the technically impressive games I'd ever seen at the time.
REmake was just gorgeous, and my first exposure to the original.
RE4 (GameCube) is one of the greatest games ever made, and one of the very few games I've played through multiple times. The Wii version is really fun too, and perhaps ironically, one of the best uses of the Wiimote.

That's all I've played really. Although I've dabbled in 0 and 5. I think it defined a particular era of gaming for me. One of the truly great pre-online series.

Burglekutt

I've only played through nemesis which I believe is the third game in the series. The controls weren't great and I really didn't care for the plot. The things the series did extremely well up to that point were the survival aspects and the overall atmosphere. The limited items really made me assess each situation for how to best deal with it. The fixed cameras and feeling of isolation really brought home the horror aspects of the games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cheesey b movie action / horror games.

This.

Started with 2. Did Speedruns after going through the first time to get the unlocks.

Played 3 after, went back to 1. Did Gunsurvivor for the Lore/story reasons.

Was hyped for 4, and while it's a good game, it's not a good Biohazard game IMO. For me, the series is the third person-fix camera perspective for better or worse. But if it can't achieve that, at least doing something like Lost in Nightmares without the QTE melee-spamfest would work.

But then Biohazard: Revelations 1 happened and that had VERY shitty gunplay to where the enemies weren't satisfying to fight as a sort of throwback to the classic series. So I think the 4-on change just ruined the entire formula for me.

AAK

1. Exploration of an unknown location with a haunting, menacing Atmosphere
2. Environmental Puzzles where you are rewarded with new Areas to explore
3. Survival Mechanics that incorporate conservation of ammo, effictive utilization of combat mechanics.

My History: RE2 was the first game I ever played when my father got me my PS1. I've played every mainline game since then.

Only Resident Evil games I didn't play are:

RE: Dead Aim
RE: Gun Survivor
RE Gaiden
RE Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles
RE Outbreak File 2
RE: Operation Raccoon City
RE Revelations 2 (will play this game next on backlog)

Ranking of RE games: (based on how fondly I remembered them)

1. RE2
2. RE3
3. RE4
4. RE6 (only played co-op, never touched solo)
5. REmake
6. RE5
7. RE Revelations
8. RE0
9. RECVX

Have RE7 pre-ordered.

The only series I'd say I approach fanboy status with.

Played the first game in '96 when I was 6 with my dad, I was totally enamored by a game that didn't progress level-by-level, but rather a single area you'd repeatedly cross over and over. Terrified to move forward cuz I heard a zombie somewhere but didn't know where they were.

Was super-hyped for RE2, looked like the best game ever after I read a huge article in Official Playstation Magazine, like holy shit this is gonna be the biggest game ever. Before it released, our Playstation broke and it never got replaced. :(

I didn't play RE2 all the way thru (played a bit at a friend's house but that's it, it was an old-ass game by that time and I kept bugging them about it, but I didn't care I was still fucking obsessed with it) until I got the N64 version in like 2002, and by that time I had seen the previews for REmake on the Gamecube, and I think I had the same reaction as everyone else "HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS SO REAL HOW CAN THEY DO THIS OMG"

After RE2 I had played RE3 and CODE:Veronica X, and by this time previews for what would become the final RE4 had been shown. "Uhh that's different, but it might...turn out ok? Reviewers are hyping it? Well OK then."

Got a Gamecube for Christmas 2004 along with REmake, and of course played some other good titles that came out for it like Windwaker and Tales of Symphonia. Was blown away despite being spoiled on it through magazine strategy guides. One of the most atmospheric and daunting games ever still. Played RE0 a little bit later and...well, at least it looked nice.

For the first time I'd play an RE close to its release, RE4 in January 2005. Blitzed through it in a couple days. Wow...just...WOW. This is one of the best games I've ever played, but I still couldn't help but think..."They're still gonna do games like the originals, right?"

In July 2005 the teaser for RE5 released, one of the first videos I tried to download and play over our then shitty internet. I got on the stupid speculation GameFAQs train and over the years I had totally hyped myself up with no way the final product could live up to my expectations in 2009. I waited for the game for four goddamn years. I was a sophomore when it was announced, and a couple years into tech school when it came out. I still have a distinct memory of being in class on a computer dicking around and all of a sudden a scan of MOTHERFUCKING WESKER shows up.

RE5 is...alright. I enjoyed playing it online coop multiple times but...it's still nowhere near as good or refined as RE4 was.

Then came Revelations and RE6 and I'm like "fine, do whatever you want Capcom". Revelations was only on the 3DS and I didn't have one, and by the time it came to other systems there was so much bad press it turned me off of it. I played RE6 because it at least looked fun, I found it a very irritating game with some brief moments of brilliance.

Revelations 2 I felt like was very good step in the right direction. I didn't get to play it but was clearly more RE4-ish, cheesy characters and some very good fan service with great payoff to very old story threads (BARRY BURTON OOMG)

I'm really excited for both RE7 and RE2make, with these and Rev2 I think we're seeing very different approaches to making a good RE again, and I hope to god they all work out in the end.

I have been there since the beginning, '96 I think. It was just unreal to me at the time how good the game was, I had never played anything like it and I have been gaming since around 86 on the Master System 1.
It was someone who I went to school with who lent me RE1, and I couldn't get enough of the game, I fell in love with it instantly. I remember I got to the tunnels at the back of the mansion with the rolling boulders and I got killed, I just couldn't accept it was a perma death, I was waiting for a continue screen, but no dice. No memory card for me back then.
I got the director's cut, but I spent a lot of time with that demo disc, just running through it over and over. I couldn't wait for it to release.
Before RE2 came out, I would just consume anything relating to it from magazines. I read a full walkthrough guide of the game before I was bought it, no interest in saving myself from spoilers at all, I just wanted to know about the game.
I got the game and just spent all my time playing it. I couldn't even guess how many times I have completed it, trying to shave my times for each scenario down.
After having my fill of the game, I then imported RE3 from Japan, I loved that as well, but it fell short of what I wanted. Not sure why, just didn't satisfy me the way RE2 did.
I bought a dreamcast and eventually bought CV. The graphics of that game blew me away at the time, unlike anything else available to me at the time. Again, I loved that game.
RE4 came out, got it day one and I'm for the first time disappointed with the franchise. It was just completely different to what I was used to. I didn't even bother finishing it, just traded it in.
After that I moved on a bit from RE. RE 2 is still my all time favourite game, let alone from the franchise, but it moved on without me.
I ended up buying RE5 because I was bored at the time, it wasn't quite at release it was after, and I suddenly got it, it clicked with me now. I spent a lot of time on that game and never understood the hate it got. I ended up getting RE4 for the wii and I completed it. It was a good game, but IMO not the best of the franchise.
RE6 I can't stand. Absolute trash. I liked the atmosphere of the beginning of Leon's scenario at the university, but for me that was the highpoint of the game.
REmake I loved. It was a textbook example of how to remaster a game. Looked amazing, increased the tension, changed enough so veteran players are still surprised with new bits added. I also like Zero as well, played it through once at the time then moved onto another game.
I have bought all the re releases of Zero,REmake,4,5 and 6 for each console they have released on, PS3/4, steam X360/1, and have grown to appreciate them more. Currently playing RE4. These controls are a pain in the arse though.
After playing beginning hour, I felt they were going after the PT market after the praise that demo got. At the moment I'm not sure if its going to be good or not. Its a bigger change than it went from CV to RE4 with the first person view. I just hope it works.
RE to me is an important franchise that really dug its teeth into me, pun intended. The only other to do that is Metal Gear Solid. I hope it does have a future, but I feel it needs to go back to survival horror rather than action.

On mobile right now but I'll toss up a little piece tomorrow at the keyboard.

All in I've spent eighteen years and close to $2,000 on the series.

An overrated franchise that has one fantastic game, and a ton of average games.

7 is the first time I've been excited for a RE game..til I learned that the demo isn't what the game will be like.

Randomizer

My first introduction was when my older brother's friend brought his copy of the first game, over to our house. I didn't play it then though, just watched them play. A while after I finally got the PS1, it came with a copy of RE: Directors Cut. The game did scare the crap out of me and was very creepy for me at the time. I managed to play through but got the worst ending lol.

My next game in the series was of course Resident Evil 2. This game was an event for me and my friends even though we were only 12 at the time lol. I bought and read so many magazines with previews and reviews. Instead of buying me a birthday present on my birthday, I asked my big brother to instead buy me it when it released 2 months later. This is the game that really got me into the franchise, everything about it was so much better than the first game other than atmosphere. I don't remember being scared that much outside a few jump scares. I even managed getting all four endings this time around.

Shockingly, I skipped RE3 altogether and still to this very day, I have yet to play through it in its entirety. It came out it too soon after RE2 and with its similar setting, I remember just being completely uninterested. It felt like it wasn't a true sequel but a stop gap. I got a Dreamcast at launch but knew nothing about Code Veronica. Right up until very soon before it's release. Soon after release I borrowed it from my brother's friend. At the time I really liked it. This was the true sequel to RE2 that I was hoping for. Whilst I am not as fond of it today as back then I still think it's a good game, albeit with some glaring flaws.

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest video game of all time, and my favorite game ever. I can probably write a several-page doctorate dissertation on the merits of that video game.

Altogether, I have a whopping THREE Resident Evil entries in my top 10 favorite games ever. (Besides RE4, there is Resident Evil 2, and REmake). It may just very well be my favorite video game series ever. Leon is one of my favorite characters in gaming. I mean, look at my freaking avatar.

I've been there from the beginning, and I have at least 2 to 4 versions/copies of each game from the original Resident Evil 1 to Resident Evil 4.

I never felt the disconnect that other people felt when going from older Resident Evil games to 4.

I've played 1 and 2 first on the PS1, somehow missed out on 3, I guess i didn't like the Nemesis concept. A friend of mine will always look at me funny for suggesting going to the movies watching the first Resident Evil film ("If it's anything like the games, it's going to be a good horror movie")
We nearly left halfway through the film, the movies are utter trash.

So I like 4 and also 5, why didn't I buy 6?
I heard it was bad, campaign taped together with no real thought put into progression and what's happening. At least that's what I remember reading at the time.

I don't really care what they label Resident Evil as long as I think I will enjoy it. Despite having fun doing the score hunting missions in 5 I know that I do not want this to be the main aspect of a Resident Evil game, I don't want it to become a buddy co-op shooter or even online coop only game.
Apart from that I'm open to anything.

My first Resident Evil was 4, then I played REmake, 5, 6 and REvelations.

I love 4 but didn't like much 5 and I like 6's gameplay but the direction is terrible.
Enjoyed REmake because it's a damn good game.

What I expect from RE its more 4, tight gameplay, replay ability and light scares. I don't see RE as a mainly horror decide but as a limited action game with emphasis on resource management under a horror aesthetic.

That's why I'm not interested in RE7. Cal me when The Evil Within 2 is announced.

cj_iwakura

Started from the very beginning, rented it for the Sega Saturn and was blown away.

I love every iteration of the franchise, and enjoy that it keeps things fresh every time.

For me resident evil is about surviving some of the greatest games of all time. Amazing gameplay, seriouly amazing music and the feeling of dread that your doomed. Played res 1 the day it cane out on Ps1 and consider 1,2 remake and code Veronica some of the greatest games of my youth. Brought res 4 on 6 different systems and still can't get into it and have never finished it. That's where the series lost me.

Seriously hyped for res 7 as it looks like the survival aspect may return at last :)

rackham

Banned
It was a horror game with atmosphere

Now it's a cliche ridden, anime trope wearing, shitty action game with awful dialogue, even worse story, and cringe inducing characters.

History:
I was probably under 10 when I was first introduced to RE. My uncle bought RE2 for the PS at the mall and I'd sit up with him (scared out of my mind) watching him play the game. This went on for years. When the GC came out is when we really caught up with the series and when I got over my fear enough to play them myself. ReMake, RE0, RE3, and Code Veronica. It felt like we pretty much marathoned the games before RE4 came out. When we saw that trailer, we were pretty much hyped for it. Played it, loved it. RE5 was my first solo run through a RE game. I enjoyed it well enough, and I still play it from time to time. I was super hyped for RE6 because that was pretty much the game me and my uncle wanted. All the characters coming back for one last hurrah. While it's wasn't exactly what we wished for, it was close enough for me, so I enjoyed it.

What RE is to me:

So what is RE to me? The characters, the monsters, and the world. While the game has horror elements, I no longer look to it for horror. What scared me as a child no longer scared me now, instead, I was now invested in the world these characters inhabit. The characters' visual personality is a big part of what makes Resident Evil, Resident Evil in my opinion. And RE7 doesn't really work for me for these reasons. It being first person takes me out of the game because I don't get a sense of personality from Ethan, as I did from the other characters. We haven't seen him true, but with the game being in first person, we probably won't see much of his character model anyway during gameplay, seeing as how cutscenes won't be that big a thing in the game. Monster wise? I'm glad they confirmed larger mutants because, to be quite honest, I don't care about the Texas Chainsaw Massacre family. Things like that don't really disturb or scare me. I don't care for psychological horror, especially in a RE game. Just does nothing for me. I'm fine with the world though as, of course, I expect there to be a vast lab somewhere in that swamp.

Heard 1-3 was horror games similar to silent hill series

Played 4 on Wii and believes its the best action game I have played

Always wanted to play the gold edition of 5, loved the demo

Think 7 looks very cool for VR

ActWan

My history with it:
I played a little Resident Evil 2 when I was younger, but didn't really get into it until like 2012.
My first proper RE was 4, I bought it and finished it when it came out and loved it. Played it many times since then and I'm even playing it again right now.
In 2012 I tried to get into the series from the start (after playing 5 and liking it and with 6 coming out), and I started from the very beginning. Didn't like 1 at first but it grew on me, 2 was actually amazing for me and my fav of the series after 4 (or even tied). I also loved 3, the ending still gives me chills.
Now I'm waiting for 7, and 2 remastered. Mad hype.
Resident Evil for me is:
The staple of the survival horror genre on the medium, and masterful level design that fits the mechanics perfectly. I always adored it from distance, thought there was nothing quite like it, and after playing the first 3 games recently I was blown away by how good they are. It's one of the best franchises ever.
4 is my favorite because it kinda combines the elements from the first 3 games, and 5 and 6 perfectly. But 2 is just so fleshed out with great atmosphere.
After this playthrough of 4 I'll try to play REmake. If it really improves 1 (that was just a little "rough around the edges") that much like people are saying, it might even become my fav.
Still need to play the spinoffs too (code veronica, revelations 1+2, 0) and Dino Crisis that looks really similar.

mabec

Played either RE 1 or 2, can't remember, read a document in game that had the exact date and year as we where playing it. We freaked out a bit

Resident Evil to me is and will always be Chris's story. I started RE with him in part 1, and I ended it in RE6 with him. Everyone else is just a branch off his main story :D

- J - D -

Resident Evil to me is letting out a sigh of relief when I entered a safe room and saw an item chest and a typewriter. The calming music easing my nerves and settling me down as I get ready to face whatever is on the other side of that door, and that next door, and the next, and the next, until daylight. Back when I had the time and opportunity to be able to just stay up all night curled up in my bed scared out of my wits, with only the Dual Shock in hand. Then the Dreamcast pad, and then the Gamecube's.

That was a long time ago.

Top Bottom