• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEEL DIVER: Nintendo's new IP! What say you?

eXistor

Stupid region locked 3DS. I really want to play it now! I was on the fence, but this thread has made me a believer!

Just beat the final boss. Pretty exhilarating going up against that huge battlesub with the manatee. The game could definitely use more missions. I'm having fun with time trials, but I had the most fun just trying to flat out beat the boss, unconcerned with time.

One of my problems with time trials is that I feel I have to get the decals in order to have a shot to beat anything past the bronze medals. And getting the decals is a bit of a grind. I wish they activated after you got two of a kind, rather than seven of some.

Overall, though, it's a lot of fun. I don't know how I'll fare against the boss when I have to use the really big sub. I can imagine taking a lot of damage from successive hits. Looking forward to doing that, and then Expert mode.

Also, I think it'd be interesting if destroying enemy subs gave you more time on the clock. As is, the time-based gameplay encourages you to race past and avoid combat, but it might be interesting if it was a risk/reward situation where you could get a decent chunk of time on the clock if you stuck around and destroyed a ship quickly.

Chorazin

Started playing this over the weekend, and wow is it a blast. I love using all the controls on the touch screen to move the ship, and the periscope mode is awesome in a swivel chair.

So glad I got this as one of my free games from Amazon!

Vinci

Danish
Yuterald seems to be one of the only people in the world who is fully exploring this title and realizing what the hell it's about. Nicely done, sir. You've sold me on the game, that's for sure. Of course I'm not buying a 3DS anytime soon, but I'm still going to grab this game somehow when the time comes.

Presentation is hilariously bare-bones in the game, it's like they spent the minimum amount of time to get it back on after dev restarted.

Question: is there any new levels after these 7? Except from additions in hard mode to existing levels.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Presentation is hilariously bare-bones in the game, it's like they spent the minimum amount of time to get it back on after dev restarted.

Question: is there any new levels after these 7? Except from additions in hard mode to existing levels.

Nope.

Time trials are different levels, but significantly shorter than the main levels and with an obviously different objective.

SpokkX

Game is cool to steer etc..

but 8 levels? they are not even complicated and just very basic overall...

Fun yes, but the content (with regards to levels) i less than your average flash game

I bet there is a lot more gameplay here though since you can replay them with different subs etc but... 8 levels that are about 10 minutes each for full price??

Jackano

SpokkX said:
Game is cool to steer etc..

but 8 levels? they are not even complicated and just very basic overall...

Fun yes, but the content (with regards to levels) i less than your average flash game

I bet there is a lot more gameplay here though since you can replay them with different subs etc but... 8 levels that are about 10 minutes each for full price??

Yeah that's the problem; Steel Diver is in my opinion very like Pilotwings Resort: Fun and enjoyable, pretty rare style of game, but short (mainly because all the missions are timed), lacking of content and would have benefited another couple month of development (which is crazy to say for Steel Diver).
Like Pilotwings, additionnal free DLC could be cool if Nintendo's online was ready.

Overall, the perfect second-hand game for your 3DS.
Those games remembers me Another Code on DS, that was the same kind of game, released at system launch, very enjoyable, but too short for a full price.

No, Steel Diver is TOO short. I spent some time with it in my ride back home from yesterday, and some time with it while going to work today, and I'm almost done with the 4th mission?

I usually never mind if a game is short but this is almost insulting.

-edit- I remember Another Code being short but not that short

sasimirobot

Yuterald said:
Since I am enjoying the fuck out of this game I figured I'd list all the Decals I acquired so far, their attributes, and activation amounts required

Thanks for that, there is oddly no FAQ for this game that I know of...

iphys

I got a deal on this game, and even though I can probably sell it used for what I paid for it, I'm not sure it was worth the bother. I really don't find it fun at all. It feels slow with not much happening in each stage, it's awkward having to look at the touch screen to control it, the warnings are annoying, and it's in desperate need of some music to improve the stale atmosphere. The periscope mode is cool, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. This should have been a 3DSWare game.

Daschysta

As a taste of potential it's fun...

I feel like a really good game could be made out of these mechanics. A sequel with a proper budget will be a blast. How well did this sell in america anyhow?

Top Bottom