• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 01/15/09

Dante said:
Man.... I hate to say this but FEAR 2 is garbage. After hearing from the 1up PC guy Shawn go on about how awesome the FEAR AI was I was EXTREMELY disappointed. Did they flank me out? No. Use Grenades on me? No. Call in reinforcements? NO. Felt like run of the mill FPS shit. The mech stuff was cool, but goddamn this demo was mediocre at best :/

I noticed them flanking me quite effectively after you come out of the subway and down the street, I also got grenaded a couple of times and the AI was very effectively using cover (turning over tables, opening car doors etc). Also, I was quite impressed at the start during the bit in the library that an enemy used his gun to clear off a load of books off the shelf before shooting at me through the newly made gap. What difficulty were you playing on?

Tntnnbltn

Savage Moon was only rated yesterday by the ESRB.

nn634l.png

Dante

Bootaaay said:
I noticed them flanking me quite effectively after you come out of the subway and down the street, I also got grenaded a couple of times and the AI was very effectively using cover (turning over tables, opening car doors etc). Also, I was quite impressed at the start during the bit in the library that an enemy used his gun to clear off a load of books off the shelf before shooting at me through the newly made gap. What difficulty were you playing on?

Normal...I thought while the flipping table anim was cool, it was ultimately ineffective as I could just stand there and blast away.

JB1981

I'll try FEAR again today ... I booted it up last night, but I was exhausted and couldn't really get into it ... I actually almost fell asleep w/ my controller in my hand. The guns feel like shit, though.

I think it was Industrian that mentioned the framerate was in the teens ... I'm a framerate nazi and I thought it was pretty good ... never hit the teens but then maybe I didn't play the demo enough to notice.

Dante

JB1981 said:
I'll try FEAR again today ... I booted it up last night, but I was exhausted and couldn't really get into it ... I actually almost fell asleep w/ my controller in my hand. The guns feel like shit, though.

I was fully awake and it had the same effect on me :/

Seriously..Post vids of this "awesome ai" because I am just not seeing it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
FEAR demo has great atmosphere. It is perfectly playable. Unless all the flashing and "ghosts" coming at you are meant to hide that. It does look alright but nothing I didn't see something like Timeshift do.

BeeDog said:
Magic Ball is a pretty fun game, for what it's worth.
It's worth the price.

Deft Beck

I was thinking of getting some more PS1 games.
I already have Suikoden and Jumping Flash!
Maybe a fighter? If so, which one?
(not discounting Guilty Gear)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I waited until 1AM to play FEAR2 for maximum horror/awesome experience. I used my headphones and put the volume on 70%.

Holy fucking shit was a I disappointed. I actually wanted it to end by the end of the demo. Absolutely terrible demo, it's a pity, since I loved FEAR1.

Xater

Seiken said:
So I waited until 1AM to play FEAR2 for maximum horror/awesome experience. I used my headphones and put the volume on 70%.

Holy fucking shit was a I disappointed. I actually wanted it to end by the end of the demo. Absolutely terrible demo, it's a pity, since I loved FEAR1.

I didn't enjoy FEAR 1 and had to force myself to finish it. I nejoyed the demo of FEAR 2 and I will probably get the game.

BeeDog

Seiken said:

Why was it so bad? All the videos make it out to seem fucking awesome (and I loved F.E.A.R. 1 as well).

Tntnnbltn

IGN's Magic Ball review: 7.5/10 (link)

Magic Ball is a streamlined, simple game that's fun to play. There aren't many frills, there's no story to speak of, and it's not incredibly long, but if you feel like a good brick-braking [sic] game, purchasing this title should be an easy decision.

Presentation: 7.5
Graphics: 7.5
Sound: 7.0
Gameplay: 7.5
Lasting Appeal: 7.0

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
Why was it so bad? All the videos make it out to seem fucking awesome (and I loved F.E.A.R. 1 as well).
Constant framerate dropping when too much special effects starts happening on screen. I'd say it went near unplayable when
you entered the robot

Controls are absolutely terrible, I really, really hope that you can change it in the full game. Because needing to hold down R1 to switch weapons when you're firing your weapon with R2 and aiming with L2 is the worst controls ever in an fps. Also, when you want to fire or aim your weapons, you literally need to hold R2/L2 ALL THE WAY DOWN. I mean, what the fuck were they thinking?

Sprinting with L3 sucks major ass. Slowmo isn't as smooth is it was in the original FEAR.

I'll give the cred for scaring the fuck out of me a couple of times though, it wasn't cheap scares or anything either.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wheeliedude said:
I was thinking of getting some more PS1 games.
I already have Suikoden and Jumping Flash!
Maybe a fighter? If so, which one?
(not discounting Guilty Gear)

GET WILD ARMS!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dave Long said:
I knew Magic Ball looked familiar...

http://www.alawar.com/game/magic-ball-3/
Yeah, their description made a reference to an existing version, saying how they were able to improve the graphics a lot.

Fun and relaxing little game (and surprisingly good and 'dense' graphics for the type of game it is) especially in co-op.

Seiken said:
Controls are absolutely terrible, I really, really hope that you can change it in the full game. Because needing to hold down R1 to switch weapons when you're firing your weapon with R2 and aiming with L2 is the worst controls ever in an fps.
I don't think that would be a big problem unless you have to keep both buttons pressed at the same time?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Lord Error said:
Yeah, their description made a reference to an existing version, saying how they were able to improve the graphics a lot.

Fun and relaxing little game (and surprisingly good and 'dense' graphics for the type of game it is) especially in co-op.

They have a ton of tiny details too. My wife was sitting closer to the TV while I was playing and she kept saying, "the cat blinks" and various other tiny details you can see upclose.

Yoshichan

Lord Error said:

I don't think that would be a big problem unless you have to keep both buttons pressed at the same time?
If you want to Aim, Shoot and switch weapons at the same time (I do this all the time in Resistance 2), you need to hold down L2, R2 and R1 while using left analog to switch between the weapons.

EDIT: Oh yeah, throwing grenades was R1. AWFUL. Switching weapons was L1.

GrayFoxPL

It pains me to say it, but I'm with Seiken on the FEAR 2 case. Even to the point of the same scares.

:\

I'm having Red Faction 1 to RF 2 deja vu.

It was the same case.

Also anyone else noticed that embarasing mech profile picture on the mech hud? Did a 6 year Old drew it?

Cruzader

Banned
Seiken said:
Constant framerate dropping when too much special effects starts happening on screen. I'd say it went near unplayable when
you entered the robot

Controls are absolutely terrible, I really, really hope that you can change it in the full game. Because needing to hold down R1 to switch weapons when you're firing your weapon with R2 and aiming with L2 is the worst controls ever in an fps. Also, when you want to fire or aim your weapons, you literally need to hold R2/L2 ALL THE WAY DOWN. I mean, what the fuck were they thinking?

Sprinting with L3 sucks major ass. Slowmo isn't as smooth is it was in the original FEAR.

I'll give the cred for scaring the fuck out of me a couple of times though, it wasn't cheap scares or anything either.

Isnt that the norm for an FPS to have sprint to L3?? It works fine, even killzone on PS2 had that(one of the first games to do that) and was fine back then. Graphics are really dull for the game though.

dk_ said:
Is it possible to buy PSP games from the US store and load/play them on a EU PSP?
Yep. But you can only have one account active on the psp at a time. So when your US content is playable your other region content will not be, and vice versa.

No45

buffi said:
Isn't L3 usually crouch?
Don't think so. CoD4 (And WaW) has sprint mapped to L3 and crouch to R3 - I'm so used to it now I tend to map others that way as well (Did it for R2).

Anyhoo, I ordered the original F.E.A.R the other day. Always been a fan of Monolith (NOLF!) but just haven't gotten around to it. Had to go for the PS3 version, but hey I completed Haze so I'm sure I'll be fine. :lol

dk_

pancakesandsex said:
Yep. But you can only have one account active on the psp at a time. So when your US content is playable your other region content will not be, and vice versa.
So you can't switch your accounts on PSP with a few clicks like on PS3?

What if I dl all the PSP stuff via PS3 and transfer it to my main EU account on my PSP. Will that work?

Kazenone

dk_ said:

What if I dl all the PSP stuff via PS3 and transfer it to my main EU account on my PSP. Will that work?

You can switch accounts, but it's based on what content you've copied from your PS3. So if you have an EU PSP and buy a PS1 game from the store, your PSP is activated for that account. If you have a US account on your PS3, buy a PS1 game and copy it over - you'll be notified about the account activation has changed. You'll now have a PSP account based on your US one. To switch back, you simply re-activate via the account you want on your PS3.

Aru

dk_ said:

You can have all the stuff of different accounts if you want, but only contents of the activated account (on the PSP) will work. The other contents will show you a message which says you can't play them.

You can switch whenever you want by deactivating the current account and activate another via WiFi / PSN.
No need for a PS3.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Purchased Magic Ball a couple of days ago and it's a fun, simple way to kill time. Playing it along with recent purchase Buzz! Quiz TV and the have-yet-to-play Assassin's Creed. Worth the $10 my gf paid for it. :D

Shurs

Anyone have any impressions of the Cuboid game that was released last week?

I'm very satisfied with my purchase of Magic Ball. The physics system works well with the "lightness" of the objects and because the objects aren't bolted down, the levels are fun to replay. I also like that there are leader boards and how the trophies are set up so you won't have to grind to get them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Shurs said:
Anyone have any impressions of the Cuboid game that was released last week?

I'm very satisfied with my purchase of Magic Ball. The physics system works well with the "lightness" of the objects and because the objects aren't bolted down, the levels are fun to replay. I also like that there are leader boards and how the trophies are set up so you won't have to grind to get them.

There is a flash version of Cuboid called Bloxorz. Its not glitzy but you get the mechanics down. If you like that, then you will like Cuboid. As its a more fleshed out, prettier experience, plus it seems to have more complex mechanics in later levels. That, and Cuboid will supposedly get a level creator patch.

Mik2121

Blablurn said:
hi guys, got a question. i finally got my credit card. and i want to spend some money on the american store (i'm from europe btw). I had to use a fake adress after confirming my credit card information. can i still use the card? even with a fake address.
Yes. I have an account on the American, British, Spanish and Japanese stores, with the Spanish and Japanese ones using my real home addresses, American with Sony's address (lol) and British with MediaMolecule's address. ROFL!!1

Shurs

AndyD said:
There is a flash version of Cuboid called Bloxorz. Its not glitzy but you get the mechanics down. If you like that, then you will like Cuboid. As its a more fleshed out, prettier experience, plus it seems to have more complex mechanics in later levels. That, and Cuboid will supposedly get a level creator patch.

Thank you.

mrbagdt

does anyone understand the combo system yet in magic ball? i dont understand it at all and i cant seem to find an explanation anywhere saying how it works.

i also realized this morning that if you want to get high scores, you should pick up every item except for the skulls since every pickup is worth points, and the negative ones seem to be worth the most. for competitive i think its an important way to go.

kuYuri

No45 said:
Don't think so. CoD4 (And WaW) has sprint mapped to L3 and crouch to R3 - I'm so used to it now I tend to map others that way as well (Did it for R2).

Anyhoo, I ordered the original F.E.A.R the other day. Always been a fan of Monolith (NOLF!) but just haven't gotten around to it. Had to go for the PS3 version, but hey I completed Haze so I'm sure I'll be fine. :lol

No, by default, sprint is mapped to L3 and crouch is mapped to Circle button.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mrbagdt said:
does anyone understand the combo system yet in magic ball? i dont understand it at all and i cant seem to find an explanation anywhere saying how it works.

i also realized this morning that if you want to get high scores, you should pick up every item except for the skulls since every pickup is worth points, and the negative ones seem to be worth the most. for competitive i think its an important way to go.

Hitting many items in a short period of time seems to be the way. Its in the Magic Ball PC info.

Also, nighttime points are worth more I think. Night time is considered a bad pickup.

Dave Long

Banned
I get a chuckle out of people talking up Magic Ball. If you guys made a thread about that game on GAF for the PC version you'd be laughed right off the board as a casual waste of air for others to breathe. But because they brought it to PSN, it's now cool.

:)

mrbagdt

Dave Long said:
I get a chuckle out of people talking up Magic Ball. If you guys made a thread about that game on GAF for the PC version you'd be laughed right off the board as a casual waste of air for others to breathe. But because they brought it to PSN, it's now cool.

oh trust me, i dont think the game is cool at all.

Dante

I gave FEAR 2 another shot tonight....Yeah..Still Sucks.

Dave Long said:

There's a dedicated thread to Magic Ball?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dave Long said:

I think that goes for a number of other VC, XBLA, PSN games as well. But that does not devalue its worth as a game. And the PSN version seems much better than the PC version anyway.

Shurs

Dave Long said:

I don't think anyone here thinks the game is "cool." It's a casual game, not Killer 7. I have been waiting for an Arkanoid/Breakout clone on PSN for a while. It's fun.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Shurs said:
I have been waiting for an Arkanoid/Breakout clone on PSN for a while. It's fun.
This - for me it does to Breakout "genre" what SuperStardust did for Asteroids. I had a tendency to get bored of respective originals very quickly in both cases.

Dave Long said:

I think you're a little confused. This is the weekly PSN thread in which we discuss new releases on the store. Magic Ball was one such release. It would be weird if it were't being discussed. Plus, it's reception has been relatively lukewarm from what I've read. You want to see an unanticipated game get a great reception check out Crash Commando from a few weeks back.

But whatever, get defensive if you want.

Top Bottom