• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Arnie

Feindflug said:
Played the 360 version yesterday and all I have to say is that the gamma/brightness settings are fucked up pretty bad on 360 on default...everyone playing the 360 version should choose the monitor option in the picture options and reduce the brightness a lot to achieve decent blacks and good colors - the game on default looks like a washed out mess with no colors which completely destroys the atmosphere and the depth/crispness of the environments and textures.

The game with the right brightness settings is looking a lot better than the pics above, sure the PS3 version has better IQ due to the MLAA but the 360 version is definitely looking much much better than these screenshots...I seriously can't understand why Valve made so crappy the default settings. :/
Cheers I'll do this straight away when I pick it up tomorrow. Damn UK release dates.

Branduil

Jokab said:
Specify what the room is.
It has
a forward spring that leads into an angled platform, and a high ledge with no portal walls that has a cube on it. Then there's a laser and a vortex, and a laser-redirection cube on a ledge I can't reach after that.

Started playing it last night and got completely hooked. Awesome game and very funny.

As for harder, I think the first half is pretty easy then it get's much harder.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Make a Vortex infront of the jump, let it take you to the top and put a portal on the angled platform and it'll shot you at the cube. Grab the cube and use it to block the laser, put portals on both angled platforms and then use the jump and it'll fire you to the other cube. Should be easy to figure out the rest.

Took around 6 hours for me to finish loved it, but it felt way too easy in places, and no challenge maps =(

Going to finish it up in a few minutes. Can't wait to see the end.

The writing has been excellent throughout but is it just me or does J.K. Simmons' voice work sounds a bit flat compared to Wheatley and Glados?

jambo

Mr. Spinnington said:
sound design is a delight throughout the whole thing

I crouched on a light bridge for like 3 minutes earlier, just listening to the wonderful sound.

This game is on a whole other level, Valve have raised the bar again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jambo said:
I crouched on a light bridge for like 3 minutes earlier, just listening to the wonderful sound.

Speaking of raising the bar, is HL2: Raising the Bar EOL? I can't find it new (for a reasonable price) anywhere.

Double D

jambo said:

It really is. I was picking out little design decisions here and there that I'd never seen before but now want to see in every game. Something as little as when you pause the game it auto saves.

Also, this game is making me see how incredible valve is at scripting. It's something that can feel so forced and ridiculous in other games actually makes Portal 2 feel organic.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Valve 'Genuinely Thrilled' With Portal 2 Reception

Valve's Doug Lombardi has told NowGamer how the developer feels about Portal 2's overwhelmingly positive review scores

Portal 2 is currently the best reviewed game of 2011 according to its Metacritic score of 95. Check the NowGamer verdict here.

“We are genuinely thrilled that people are liking the game”

Lombardi told NowGamer in an email: "We are genuinely thrilled that people are liking the game, and can't wait for the co-op speed run videos to start showing up!" Us too, Doug, us too.

Well congrats Valve!

MrPliskin

Banned
Ikuu said:
Make a Vortex infront of the jump, let it take you to the top and put a portal on the angled platform and it'll shot you at the cube. Grab the cube and use it to block the laser, put portals on both angled platforms and then use the jump and it'll fire you to the other cube. Should be easy to figure out the rest.

Took around 6 hours for me to finish loved it, but it felt way too easy in places, and no challenge maps =(

You still have to dig into the co-op though! This game has much more content than the first, and more on the way (for PC and PS3).

Nessus

JaseC said:
Speaking of raising the bar, is HL2: Raising the Bar EOL? I can't find it new (for a reasonable price) anywhere.

It cost me $70. Used.

It is my coffee table book, always on display.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MrPliskin said:
You still have to dig into the co-op though! This game has much more content than the first, and more on the way (for PC and PS3).

The X360 won't miss out, but the DLC will likely have the MS Tax attached to it.

Nessus said:
It cost me $70. Used.

Oh my Science. I'll have to treat myself when my exams are over in a couple months. (I'll probably forget to buy it.)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I hope official DLC from Valve is co-op focused. I would happily pay for it too if they maintain the quality of the co-op campaign and just make it even harder/more complex. In my fantasy we would get a set of test chambers each month or something like that.

plainr_ said:
I just finished Portal 1. What a truly amazing game it is. I would say it is now one of my all time favorite game. Seriously, wtf was I thinking ignoring this game
and Valve
for so long. So fucking glad I played this before Portal 2. Thanks Stuburns.

Can't wait for my copy of P2 now.

Make sure to fit in a playthrough of HL2 and Episodes

And if you enjoy the co-op sections of P2 when it comes, L4D I think is still King of the co-op games.

neoism

Shin Dynamo X said:
I got Portal 1 thanks to the Orange Box. Nice game, but I just can't see HOW some of you can pay $60 for a puzzle game. It....puzzles me. ;)
P2 cost me 14.99... :D :D :D But its worth 60....

chogidogs

I registered my EU PSN account instead of my real one to steam. Does anyone know if unlinking it and using a new PSN account is possible?

Branduil

Ugh, now I'm stuck on
the one where you use the blue gel to knock out the three turrets.
This game is making me feel dumb.

Feep

Banned
Branduil said:
Ugh, now I'm stuck on
the one where you use the blue gel to knock out the three turrets.
This game is making me feel dumb.
To be fair, this is almost objectively the hardest puzzle in the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gregor7777 said:
Make sure to fit in a playthrough of HL2 and Episodes

And if you enjoy the co-op sections of P2 when it comes, L4D I think is still King of the co-op games.
I love the shit out of L4D and it is easily one of the best co-op experiences you can have, but Portal 2 was better for me. I mean it was goddamn euphoric. And the way co-op was implemented was immaculate (they clearly put just as much care into designing it as they did L4D). The gestures are wonderful, pointing stuff out is snappy and incredibly useful, the timer is super handy, the picture-in-picture is cool and super useful for certain puzzles (and looked really good without hurting framerate), and the dialogue is spectacular.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Can't seem to get the PS3 version to download on PC. I've logged into Steam while playing the tutorial on PS3 and made sure I did everything it asked me to correctly. Steam still keeps telling me to log into Steam on the PS3 while playing the game. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Signed out and signed back in and it finally worked.

Jintor

Feep said:

Well, in singleplayer, anyway. :p

(Not that I've gone further in Co-Op than the third set of puzzles, but whatever)

Ourobolus

Banned
Feep said:
That was the one puzzle where I knew exactly what I had to do, but my brain tricked me into not being able to figure out the first step for like 10 minutes.

I need to get across this gap to that switch. HOW DO I DO THIS? There's no gel to use, no Aerial Faith Plates, the excursion tunnel won't bring me over there, THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Oh. I just have to portal over there. Goddammit.

Also, the Steam Timer tricked me too. Beat it, and it said "3 hours." I know it took me at least 5.5-6.

Really hope I can finish the single player tonight before going on a short vacation. I'm a short way into chapter 6, so hopefully another two hours will be plenty of time to reach the end.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ourobolus said:
That was the one puzzle where I knew exactly what I had to do, but my brain tricked me into not being able to figure out the first step for like 10 minutes.

I need to get across this gap to that switch. HOW DO I DO THIS? There's no gel to use, no Aerial Faith Plates, the excursion tunnel won't bring me over there, THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Also, the Steam Timer tricked me too. Beat it, and it said "3 hours." I know it took me at least 5.5-6.

Can you please post some info how to beat that section? Im also stuck there.
Turrents are gone, but i cannot finish the level.

edit - i solved it!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nessus said:
It cost me $70. Used.

Oooh, time to sell the copy that I read 5 years ago! It is a great book though, I wish all big games got this kind of treatment. I'd love this for Halo.

Kyaw

Treefingers said:
Took me so long to figure out
that the gel would even do that
. But it was my favorite puzzle in the end, very clever.

But you should have known that
the gel would do that from the 50s Aperture Science test chambers where you had to get the weighted cube out of the glass chamber by pouring blue gel on it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
xKilltheMx said:
Wait there are no challenge maps? Uh? Confirmation on this?
No, there aren't any.

Valve may add them (likely through free DLC since it would use existing rooms, remixed) or the community may do them. I doubt they will never not happen.

FLEABttn

Banned
Puzzle
stumped me pretty good. I beat it, but I'm fairly certain it was by exploitation as opposed to how it was supposed to be beat.
I only used 2 of the 3 lasers, I found I could hit 2 of the 3 laser receptacles by barely grazing the first and then using the laser block to send it into the third. I kind of what to see a youtube video of how it's actually done, but I may go back to revisit that puzzle later to see where I went wrong.

Ken

Is there a bug/glitch in co-op mode where both player models are stuck crouching but the actual players aren't? I was playing co-op with a buddy last night and noticed Atlas was really short and then realized he was crouched the whole time, and apparently my friend saw P-Body as crouched all the time as well even though I wasn't holding down the crouch button.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
FLEABttn said:
Puzzle
stumped me pretty good. I beat it, but I'm fairly certain it was by exploitation as opposed to how it was supposed to be beat.
I only used 2 of the 3 lasers, I found I could hit 2 of the 3 laser receptacles by barely grazing the first and then using the laser block to send it into the third. I kind of what to see a youtube video of how it's actually done, but I may go back to revisit that puzzle later to see where I went wrong.
You cheated. The real way is
By sending all the lazers through the same portal

Jesus that was awesome.

The boss battle was, like Episode 2 and Portal, a final exam on some of the game's mechanics. It felt right, and I am very satisfied.

mf.luder

Just finished single player. Logged maybe 10 hours. Was very, very fun.

I thought
Portal was much tougher since there seemed to be a lot more portal shots that needed to be timed correctly.

FLEABttn said:
Puzzle
That one had me stumped for a while too, but I spent the longest on the
level where there's a path projected vertically and there's one turret in the room.

And I absolutely love how sarcastic and insulting GLaDOS has gotten, I'm glad I played the first just for the nods.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think the only one that really stumped me for like ten minutes was the one with
"Oh, I was just reading books. Yes, not a moron", with the two faith plates and the funnel

Other then that most of them were incredibly satisfying to solve even if I did see the solution quickly.

FLEABttn said:
Puzzle
Easiest way to do it is this:

EVIL

Ourobolus said:

exact same thing
Placed portals on every gray area near the entry point and blue vortex tunnel thing (expected to be able to use that to push the turrets off the side), until after 10 to 15 minutes I realized I simply had to portal to the other side and use the bouncy gel

Mechanical Snowman said:
That one had me stumped for a while too, but I spent the longest on the
level where there's a path projected vertically and there's one turret in the room.

And I absolutely love how sarcastic and insulting GLaDOS has gotten, I'm glad I played the first just for the nods.

That's the one I actually thought he was talking about at first. I was stumped on that one too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, did everyone have at least one moment where you were like "man, I don't know what to send through my portals....oh wait...I can just walk through them"?

Mine was in Chapter 4 I believe, although I don't recall what puzzle it was.

Top Bottom