• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced (PS3/PS4, tri-Ace)

Orcastar

I loved SO2 and liked SO3 back in the day, but let's face it, this is gonna be just another run-of-the-mill JRPG filled with tired anime tropes, awkward fan-service and a completely forgettable story. I mean seriously, the main characters are a sword-wielding teenager and his female childhood friend who loves him like a brother? Wow, I can't wait for all that cringeworthy sexual tension and will-they-or-won't-they intrigue!

I would love to be proven wrong though.

Well no, but it would be nice.

Call me biased if you want, but I play Japanese games for Japanese storytelling. (pro-tip : doesn't mean bad storytelling, but I don't expect them to try and tell stories unfamiliar to their usual style)

If I want stories that take a different approach that's conventionally non-Japanese, there's plenty of WRPGs around. I don't look at the cliche stuff Persona does (beach events, hotsprings, random comedy here and there) and think "eww, I wish Persona didn't do those stuff."

Cliche is just cliches. Execution is what matters. A beach scene could be fanservice trash with no reason other than to parade the characters in bikinis, or it could be a legitimate relief/tension breaking moment for character bonding. Or it could be for the lulz.

benzy

Correct points but please remember even Dragon Age 3 is on PS3. On freaking PS3. And it does not look terribad! And it did not stop the PS4 version to look incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTBLTuGQdXI

I have hope in Square/ Tri-Ace to deliver a good-to-great looking SO5 on the PS4 and a passable-to-good looking SO5 on the PS3.

If this is actually the engine Tri-Ace will be using then I don't doubt it'll still be a looker on the PS4. :p Just wondering how much they have to constrain themselves to at least make a ps3 version to work. It'll probably run at 500p or something like SO4.

Kyoufu

The first footage will be interesting.

I imagine they pitched this and were turned down, but Masuda was interested where Wada was not and he signed it.

It definitely hasn't been in the works since 2011. SO isn't anywhere near worth that kind of time/money investment. SE isn't that stupid.

It may have started in 2011 but not hit full production until way later as they've been busy with other projects too. Looking forward to seeing footage. I'm not concerned about visuals as much as I am about the story and script. Star Ocean has always been fun to play but if the script is a repeat of The Last Hope then I couldn't bring myself to go through it.

I loved SO2 and liked SO3 back in the day, but let's face it, this is gonna be just another run-of-the-mill JRPG filled with tired anime tropes, awkward fan-service and a completely forgettable story. I mean seriously, the main characters are a sword-wielding teenager and his female childhood friend who loves him like a brother? Wow, I can't wait for all that cringeworthy sexual tension and will-they-or-won't-they intrigue!

Yeah you are probably right but I still need my JRPG fix. I am sick of WRPG

It's guaranteed. Let's just hope everyone is over 14.

duckroll

Seamless realtime battles + seamless events + Infinite Undiscovery director... really makes me think this is tri-Ace making another go at the idea they had for IU in the first place. It was an ambitious idea which got executed really poorly and really lazily. If they can pull it off well this time, it could be great. Not exactly holding my breath though.

There definitely seems to be a trend continuing where JRPGs try to be more open world, so it'll be interesting to see if this also follows in those footsteps.

Squire

Banned
It may have started in 2011 but not hit full production until way later as they've been busy with other projects too. Looking forward to seeing footage. I'm not concerned about visuals as much as I am about the story and script. Star Ocean has always been fun to play but if the script is a repeat of The Last Hope then I couldn't bring myself to go through it.

Yeah...

I kinda hope they just engage every dumb trope they can and make the story entertaining, at least.

aravuus

Call me biased if you want, but I play Japanese games for Japanese storytelling. (pro-tip : doesn't mean bad storytelling, but I don't expect them to try and tell stories unfamiliar to their usual style)

If I want stories that take a different approach that's conventionally non-Japanese, there's plenty of WRPGs around. I don't look at the cliche stuff Persona does (beach events, hotsprings, random comedy here and there) and think "eww, I wish Persona didn't do those stuff."

Cliche is just cliches. Execution is what matters. A beach scene could be fanservice trash with no reason other than to parade the characters in bikinis, or it could be a legitimate relief/tension breaking moment for character bonding. Or it could be for the lulz.

I think the problem here is the director, not the cliches

Like you said, cliches are fine if the execution is good. The execution was... Something else with IU.

benzy

Considering the previous game had nice 2d character design and horrible 3d models will not really be too optimistic until we actually see proof that its not going to be a train wreck again with the 3d model side of things lol

True, lol. With a different director hopefully it won't be the case.

Can't we just have one game where the main character's friend is like, I dunno, his trusty dog that joins you in battles, that you can shout commands at just like other RPGs? Even Fallout gave us a helpful (ish) dog. A childhood girlfriend is so standard.

The last time I enjoyed a Star Ocean game I was still renting VHS videos from blockbusters so my expectations are pretty low. Would love to be wrong of course

If this is actually the engine Tri-Ace will be using then I don't doubt it'll still be a looker on the PS4. :p Just wondering how much they have to constrain themselves to at least make a ps3 version to work. It'll probably run at 500p or something like SO4.

Yeah it will look like shit [on PS3], I can see that. Still better than nothing for some people.

-Oath

Can't we just have one game where the main character's friend is like, I dunno, his trusty dog that joins you in battles, that you can shout commands at just like other RPGs? Even Fallout gave us a helpful (ish) dog. A childhood girlfriend is so standard.

Youll love Tales of Vesperia.

Paracelsus

While I don't have a clue as to who the scenario writer for SO5 is, I'm pretty sure IU had the better story and cast of the two games. Yes, even the hideous kids.

Muzicfreq

Banned
DAY ONE!
zP7auXE.gif

Despera

Banned
Fedel Camus (voiced by Kaito Ishikawa) – The protagonist. He specializes at fencing, and protects the order of his village.

Miki Sorvesta (voiced by Nao Toyama) – The heroine. She is the protagonist’s childhood friend, and loves him like an older brother.

Lilia (voice actor unknown) – A girl who lost both her memories and emotions.
Why am I laughing so hard at how predictable and unoriginal these characters are.

batbeg

I fucking LOVE Infinite Undiscovery. The news of the director is much more appealing to me than the franchise. Haters can all suck it, this is damn near a dream project for me already. I hope we get a trailer soon.

the setting and characters sounds like typical jrpg shit

should've given it to a western team, japan se is dead to me

as a so fiend, i am already despairs

So you are a SO fiend, so you love the games with great combat, so you want to give it to a western dev so we get a great combat system like... what, Dragon Age II? Fallout? Batman? Loooooools.

Legit shook. Didn't think this was even possible. Slightly soured at the idea that it's for PS3 as well, but considering the last Star Ocean was 5 years ago, I'm curious to see how much more things can be improved visually.

Either way it's exciting. I must see images!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ommmggggg

UI Director

Meh, I'll take it I guess. I hope they pull it off.

Rymuth

Can't believe the best news I'm taking from this is that Tri-ace is still alive.

There definitely seems to be a trend continuing where JRPGs try to be more open world, so it'll be interesting to see if this also follows in those footsteps.
Tales of Zestiria
FF 15

Darn, you're right. Open world Breath of Fire next?

OmegaDL50

Yoshiharu Gotanda the CEO of company is the lead programmer. (Is he STILL the CEO even after being tri-Ace was acquired by that mobile dev?)

So I still think he will have some pull over the projects direction despite the director for the game. Gotanda was mostly responsible for programming duties in the past as well as scenario writing / story.

So Gotanda is STILL present, so let's not get completely panic because there is a different director.

Merc_

The last two were utter shit so I don't really understand the celebrations going on in here. Any reason to think that this won't be garbage too?

Zareka

I don't know what this is, but more JRPGs are always welcome! Will think about picking up on PS4.

Actually, isn't this the series with that creepy loli character everyone hates? That's my entire exposure to the series.

Acosta

Honestly, I'm just glad there is still some faith in middle ground JRPG for consoles. Even if it´s pushed by Sony (which itself is not a bad thing at all, it shows interest).

I fully understand being wary but I can't help feeling happy about this announcement. I didn't think Tri-Ace would have another chance like this.

duckroll

Can't believe the best news I'm taking from this is that Tri-ace is still alive.

Tales of Zestiria
FF 15

Darn, you're right. Open world Breath of Fire next?

Xenoblade, Nier, FFXV, ToZ, even Zelda. Japan is definitely looking at open world design much more seriously now.

Top Bottom