• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve "3": The Third Birthday |OT| Showers are Duckroll's fetish

Wolf Akela said:
Can anyone tell me about these plotholes? It's just that I always see that word get thrown around to say that the story of something is bad (or if they never understood it) even if there really weren't any plotholes.

Story is one big mess, Toriyama just throws things at you without explanation, characters speak random stuff throughout the whole game.

Aru

TheSeks said:
Pref. something like a mish-mash of PE"3" and PE2. IE: Over the shoulder but real-time. And then add in PE1's leveling RPG system for magic powers. But that probably wouldn't work in a third person AjRPG. :/

No. You're forgetting the PC that explains things/characters to you.

I didn't mention Blank like that. I was just telling their status at the end.

The singer:
Is a high one according to the PC. Those that "turned into a twisted with human memories" = high-one.
It's in the PC after the first Episode, IIRC. Which begs the question of how they're related.

That's odd. I don't remember reading anything like this about Ginger. Are you sure you aren't mistaking her for Emily Jefferson ?
I searched on Google too and found nothing about this.

I found on Wikipedia the text I remember reading from the PC:
Ginger (Real Name: Kristina Ruskin) is a minor character and the lead singer of the band called Time for Truth. She's the daughter of violinist Erhard Ruskin, who was a strict father that directed the German Symphony Orchestra. At age 13 she rebelled against him by starting her rock band. They had then caught the attention of a major British record label that lead her to a professional debut at age 15. Her first album, "Killing Hour", sold over two million copies, an unprecedented performance for a debut album.
Soon after she moved the United States, but disbanded Time for Truth at age 20 to take a break. Her and her former band mates still continued to play concerts whenever they felt like it, causing the media and her fan base to still follow her closely.
It's thought Ginger died during the Sacrifice Incident, a handwritten will was found in her room stating all her financial assets were to be given to disadvantaged children.
Alternately, in 2009 she was fatally stabbed by a crazed fan in Central Park. It was revealed after her death she had been traveling to disaster-stricken areas and working on behalf of many aid providers and relief efforts, all anonymously. Once this news was revealed, a group of young people in England commemorated Ginger's inspirational life by establishing the Ginger Skimbleshanks Fund to help children around the world who are suffering from hunger, poverty, disaster, and war. (The fund takes its name from Ginger's favorite character in the famous musical Cats.)

MechaX

Wolf Akela said:
Basically, not plotholes.

Eh...

Disappearance of the CTI Head guy is legitimately a plot hole. After Aya/Eve kills Gabrielle and he betrays her, he's just gone with absolutely zero explanation as to why. The SWAT Team wedding fiasco is a big one for a different number of reasons. Most specifically, there is absolutely no logical reason in the slightest as to why Aya has to die in the body switch at the end to avert the entire "Aya's soul breaks and she creates the heartle-... Twisted" when she survived the shooting. There was literally nothing stopping Aya and Eve just walking away from the wedding in the ending and that actually would have circumvented all of the Twisted nonsense that would have occurred in the first instance of when Aya died. When Toriyama waived that possibility off as "well... the sources are still there so the Twisted will still be a threat somehow!, that became a pretty big plothole.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Vamphuntr said:
This game is bloody annoying. I love the concept of overdiving and love how the battles are handled but man the game is not balanced. I'm stuck at that
hornet boss battle
in the second episode. I managed to take it down but for some reason I have to fight a buffed up version just after defeating it for the first time.

IIRC, if you die the Humvee comes back with full health on reloading the second half's checkpoint. You use that and dive when the attack is about to happen (hard to know, I know) while keeping that up. It sucks, because that chapter is early in the game when you probably don't have high-bullet impact stat weapons to abuse and use on that boss to make it easier. :/

MechaX said:
when she survived the shooting.

Only during time zero. Otherwise no.
She didn't, she only survived the shooting when Eve finally regained her memories and reached Time Zero again to try to change the timeline and even then she was pretty much set to die. Thus the body switching.

Aru

About Kyle:

Was the last cut-scene with him (when he says happy birthday to Eve) a dream or something ? I mean... He died from the shooting right ? I'm not really sure...
I think it was Eve who imagined him while he was talking a last time before dying. Or else, it doesn't make sense why he had to leave Eve alone.

MechaX

TheSeks said:
Only during time zero. Otherwise no.
She didn't, she only survived the shooting when Eve finally regained her memories and reached Time Zero again to try to change the timeline and even then she was pretty much set to die. Thus the body switching.

Yes, it happened in Time Zero. But that's the root of the problem here. So let me get this straight.

In the original time line, Aya gets shot and dies, soul breakage, etc. Eve gets to Time Zero, the exact same thing occurs and instead of Eve immediately switching bodies, Aya gets up and shoots the guards... because? We're assuming that Time Zero is relevant because... well... Eve does make a new timeline from the altered events of Time Zero.

That still doesn't make a lick of sense when considering one, Eve regaining her memories or not doesn't alter effectiveness (or lack thereof) in this case of bullet wounds. Second, do we just assume that Aya would have gotten back up anyway in the original timeline but for Eve body switching suddenly? Then that goes right back to the entire "It turns out Aya was fine enough to head shot 9 SWAT guys and walk around perfectly fine so (and a theory like "it was a hallucinatory Aya prep-talk would work... if the SWAT guys weren't shown legitimately dead after wards)... how is she "set to die" again? Why does she have to die at all when considering the only thing that created the Twisted was Eve's intervention?

TheSeks

Yeah, the whole thing is funky. But it's how it turns out. Aya somehow mysterious turns out to be okay for that moment when time-line wise she shouldn't be. *shrug*

Aru

Well, you never know with those time paradoxes. One slightest thing could change the entire history...
It doesn't explain WTF was going on at the end, but still.

Since
the SWAT team intervention wasn't explained at all (the whole thing could have been prepared by Hyde to get Eve's powers, but how could he know at that time that Eve had different powers from Aya ?), we could also assume that a little unexplained something changed the timeline and made it happen like it did in the end.

So at my local Disc Replay they have a copy of Parasite Eve 2 for an awesome $44.00. I really wanted to jump on it as I'm really in a PE mood. Replaying the first 1 was a really fun and The Third Birthday was a solid romp. But man $44 is a bit much.

Aru

PSN release should arrive in a few weeks I hope. Maybe you should wait. 44$ is pretty expensive for a PS1 game.

Aru said:
PSN release should arrive in a few weeks I hope. Maybe you should wait. 44$ is pretty expensive for a PS1 game.
Yeah I'm just going to wait for a PSN release. When that happens it should hopefully bring down the online prices for the physical copy and if I like it I'll just go on from there. As much as I do like playing PS1 games on my psp, I still like playing them on consoles.

TheSeks

$44 isn't bad, that's about what I paid for it DAY ONE back in 1999-2000.

So I finished this the other night, and I though it was pretty good. It was a fine little shooter for the PSP, although it had some camera issues. Some the enemies could be challenging, but not overwhelmingly so. Plot wise, well, it was...odd but interesting. I played the original Parasite Eve and other than having Aya in it, I dont see how 3rd Birthday connects to the overall franchise. I did think that the overdive system was an interesting gameplay mechanic, and could be used occasionally in a tactical manner.

I was and still am blown away at the level of visuals that Square Enix is able to produce on the PSP. 3rd Birthday, Crisis Core, KH BBS, and Dissidia. Amazing graphics, and gorgeous art direction in all. Cant wait to see what theyre able to produce with Type-0.

warpaint

just started playing it last night, so far am about 2 or 3 hours into it but i would need to look at the clock. Man it's great am loving the whole overdrive edge
great game and it look so nice

Is this game good enough to buy the twisted edition? I just found a store that has one copy left and I was debating whether I should spend the extra money on the Twisted edition or just buy the normal edition.

Globox_82

Banned
First game was awesome from what I remember. Second one was okey, I remember I got stuck. Once you get out of the town, or in some mine/underground. This 3rd game seems like some other game with Parasite Eve name on it.

Globox_82 said:
First game was awesome from what I remember. Second one was okey, I remember I got stuck. Once you get out of the town, or in some mine/underground. This 3rd game seems like some other game with Parasite Eve name on it.

Well technically it doesn't have the Parasite Eve name on it at all. ;)

Famassu

It's a divisive game. Some don't like it for straying so far into 3rd person shooter genre from its original more RPG-ish roots, but usually if you can look past that and the nonsensical plot, it can offer a enjoyable experience even with its flaws. Not even close to Square Enix's best efforts on PSP (i.e. Tactics Ogre, Dissidia, Birth By Sleep & quite likely the upcoming Type-0), but still a game that can offer some fun times on the go.

TheSeks

Zenith said:
I really enjoyed it. Probably my fav PSP game.

I also did the IMFDB page for it.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/3rd_Birthday,_The

Damn, if I didn't dislike the game due to what they did to Aya, I'd be actually mightily impressed with this. I mean they'd done sort-of-real weapons for PE2 (the M16 being one), so I'm not surprised at the localization for the US being a few character changes. But I'm surprised by some of the models. Like the "S&W 500."

BadWolf

Really good game, just don't come in expecting PE1 or PE2 style gameplay. It has its own style of play, fast and action heavy.

TheSeks said:
Damn, if I didn't dislike the game due to what they did to Aya, I'd be actually mightily impressed with this. I mean they'd done sort-of-real weapons for PE2 (the M16 being one), so I'm not surprised at the localization for the US being a few character changes. But I'm surprised by some of the models. Like the "S&W 500."

They didn't really do anything to Aya...

Globox_82 said:

That about sums up my feelings. I really, really liked the original.

So I picked this game up (actually the twisted edition) for my good old PSP-1000. I've only played an hour of each of the previous Parasite Eve games on PS1, so I have really very little previous knowledge of the earlier games.

Played two chapters so far and I'm enjoying this. The shooting mechanics feel good and the graphics hold up well now that 3DS and Vista are out.

Just finished this on Vita, figured I'd post my impressions here
Just completed The 3rd Birthday, took 10 hours 30

It's super fun and challenging, and plays (and looks) wonderful on the Vita

The story though, good god - that is by far the worst video game story I've ever played through, the script is barely lucid and the only redeeming part I found was 'the twist' which then falls apart itself with a vague conclusion. I just barely understood what was happening throughout. What the fuck were they on writing this mess :lol

Still, great game though! Will replay wearing that maids outfit and hastily skipping any and every cutscene.

My main complaint is just how, aimless and vague the whole script was, the entirety was half sentences and people speaking in riddles, even Aya's responses implicated she knew much more than the player throughout the game but there's almost no explanation given

I have loads of questions about what happened (and why) but ultimately the story and characters just aren't worth investing any thought into.

Core gameplay was excellent though, and it's probably the best looking PSP game

Wasn't there supposed to be a shower scene? How do we unlock that?

BadWolf

Just finished this on Vita, figured I'd post my impressions here

My main complaint is just how, aimless and vague the whole script was, the entirety was half sentences and people speaking in riddles, even Aya's responses implicated she knew much more than the player throughout the game but there's almost no explanation given

I have loads of questions about what happened (and why) but ultimately the story and characters just aren't worth investing any thought into.

Core gameplay was excellent though, and it's probably the best looking PSP game

Wasn't there supposed to be a shower scene? How do we unlock that?

Its not Aya, as seen in the ending

I liked the story in that it made me want to know more and how it would it, which is more than I can say for most games these days.

Top Bottom