• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
It's a fairly common sitcom convention of guest-stars

I just noticed some crossover guest-stars from AD to Community

Just figured out that the school Plumber from Community was also a gay cop from AD

gabbo

Medalion said:
It's a fairly common sitcom convention of guest-stars

I just noticed some crossover guest-stars from AD to Community

Just figured out that the school Plumber from Community was also a gay cop from AD
Now to get the five Ritcher brothers on for a guest spot.

Jasoco

Banned
Tony Hale's pottery class teacher was the the best. He needs to come back. As does (Unrelated to AD) that one-off teacher from the episode where Britta doesn't know how to go to the bathroom with Shirley like women are supposed to. I want to say it's the Pool class episode. (She was the one complaining about cell phones before realizing it's her own then gets mad that no one in class has a pen to write something down.) I liked her. Shame she never showed up again.

They should totally get more AD stars like Michael Cera. (though only if he typecasts himself)

I say the more guest stars the better. Especially if some come back. (Also still hoping Anthony "My Fist up your Balls!" Hall shows up for an obligatory cameo this season too. But have a bigger role like the first time instead of just an opening shot like last season.)

Saw the episode, it was pretty funny. But most of this season feels a bit fake, I don't know how to explain it, maybe the actors aren't feeling it too much this year.

Medalion

Banned
It's not always the actors, it's also the writers. It's not easy to keep creative energy and enthusiasm when your show is always close to cancellation.

snesfreak

Banned
Jasoco said:
As does (Unrelated to AD) that one-off teacher from the episode where Britta doesn't know how to go to the bathroom with Shirley like women are supposed to. I want to say it's the Pool class episode. (She was the one complaining about cell phones before realizing it's her own then gets mad that no one in class has a pen to write something down.) I liked her. Shame she never showed up again.
That's from 1x06 Football Feminism and You, the one where Dean Pelton is trying to get Troy to play football.

Which also has the greatest scene ever.
Jeff: I’m saying you’re a football player, its in your blood
Troy: That’s racist
Jeff: Your soul?
Troy: That’s racist
Jeff: Your eyes?
Troy: That’s gay
Jeff: That’s homophobic
Troy: That’s black
Jeff: That’s racist!
Troy: Damn

mclem

Cynosure said:
hitchhiker- I assume you both accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior
Shirley-ohhhhhhh that's niiiice.

I liked that Britta snuck out a 'ohhhh, that's niiice' of her own when the hitchhiker saga tilted *her* way.

Also: First Crying Troy of the season? I don't think he *really* cried in his Alternative Future.

Medalion said:
I worry about the repercussions of seeing Abed cry

I'm imagining something similar to the Billy and Mandy episode where Mandy smiles. The universe implodes and resets to an episode of the Powerpuff Girls, fyi

kai3345

Banned
I didn't really like it, I wish they would have come up with a better ending than "HE TWEEETED IIIIITTT"

The Karaoke was pretty funny, and it was nice to see the Dean exercising his main cast status for once this season, but the episode just felt off. Only a few of the jokes got laugh out of me.

JoJoShabadoo said:
Saw the episode, it was pretty funny. But most of this season feels a bit fake, I don't know how to explain it, maybe the actors aren't feeling it too much this year.

I agree about the whole fake/forced thing. I don't know, something just feels off. Might have something to do with the new writers.

Medalion

Banned
The writers are the same from season 2 for the most part are they not?

The season feels "off" because it's not the same season of crazy over the top stuff by design.

ivysaur12

Banned
Medalion said:

One or two moved to other stuff, I believe. A couple are on Happy Endings now. It's mostly the same. It's an intense but really good work environment from what I've heard. I can't imagine that many people jumping ship.

beat

Medalion said:
Dan Harmon, Neil Goldman, and Garrett Donovan are all still with the show. Harmon created and show-runs it, and Goldman and Donovan are a writing team that's got an overall deal with NBC and are serving as EPs on the show. Aside from them, there's Megan Ganz, Chris McKenna, Andy Bobrow*, and Adam Countee.

Writers from last year who've moved on include Emily Cutler (first Free Agents, now Suburgatory), Hilary Winston (Happy Endings), Andrew Guest (Suburgatory), and Karey Dornetto (Portlandia). So of the writing staff, that's 4 out of 11.

* Bobrow had a pilot, but it ultimately wasn't picked up; if it had been he would obviously have left to go run that show.

New writers include Vera Santamaria, Chris Kula, Steve Basilone and Annie Mebane (writing team), and Maggie Bandur.

Medalion

Banned
I was wondering why some of the writers I followed were plugging other shows like Suburgatory and Happy Endings earlier in the months

Shaneus

Yeah, there's something that's not *quite* clicking with me this season. On paper, the storylines should be making me happy that Community has become a little more grounded, but there seems to be more of a disconnect between the viewer and the group than before. Less of a bond, I guess. Things taking more of a third-person perspective rather than emotionally involving the person watching (or at least, generating that feeling).

Am I making sense? Probably not :/

Shaneus said:
Yeah, there's something that's not *quite* clicking with me this season. On paper, the storylines should be making me happy that Community has become a little more grounded, but there seems to be more of a disconnect between the viewer and the group than before. Less of a bond, I guess. Things taking more of a third-person perspective rather than emotionally involving the person watching (or at least, generating that feeling).

Am I making sense? Probably not :/

Have you watched the episodes a second time yet?

Not that your complaints are invalid or inaccurate, but it seems like people always complain at the start and then re-watch the episodes and go "oh wow, that was much better than I remember."

Medalion

Banned
The "disconnect" you feel is because the show did a very unusual thing of almost taking a step backwards

I have said that the show went from being relatively grounded in season 1 to off the wall craziness in season 2, and now that we are at season 3, there is a feeling that the season wants to build to something but we don't know or don't care yet and is scaling things back.

I said that season 3 to me, should've been season 2, and season 2 as season 3, to me made more sense progression wise.

The group dynamic is getting predictable... the moments of emotional bonding is a bit forced because we have seen them fight and make up so many times, the viewer may be growing a resistance to it.

I am just spitballing here.

I myself am having a blast, but I can certainly see how other people would be losing the plot, so to speak.

3J5Xr.jpg

Shirley: I've seen enough episodes of Friends to know that co-habitation leads to sex, drugs, and something Parade magazine calls "Schwimmer fatigue."

i thought that was pretty funny

Shaneus

Nappuccino said:
Have you watched the episodes a second time yet?

Not that your complaints are invalid or inaccurate, but it seems like people always complain at the start and then re-watch the episodes and go "oh wow, that was much better than I remember."
I haven't actually. Because of how they left their first impression, I haven't really felt the need to watch them a second time. But I will now, because what you're saying makes a lot of sense!

Medalion said:
The "disconnect" you feel is because the show did a very unusual thing of almost taking a step backwards

I have said that the show went from being relatively grounded in season 1 to off the wall craziness in season 2, and now that we are at season 3, there is a feeling that the season wants to build to something but we don't know or don't care yet and is scaling things back.

I said that season 3 to me, should've been season 2, and season 2 as season 3, to me made more sense progression wise.

The group dynamic is getting predictable... the moments of emotional bonding is a bit forced because we have seen them fight and make up so many times, the viewer may be growing a resistance to it.

I am just spitballing here.

I myself am having a blast, but I can certainly see how other people would be losing the plot, so to speak.
As always, appreciate your thoughts :)
Like I've said, it's not that I'm hating on the show or not enjoying it or whatever, but maybe by virtue of the fact that at this stage in any TV series we *do* know the characters better than at the start, that they're easier to read and in order to keep the show interesting have to do something goofy and uncharacteristic (making it seem forced, like you said).

I don't envy the position the writers are in having to toe the line of familiarity, humour and keeping it fresh. At least, to please Community's biggest fans ;)

ipitydatfu said:
http://i.imgur.com/3J5Xr.jpg[IMG]

Shirley: I've seen enough episodes of Friends to know that co-habitation leads to sex, drugs, and something Parade magazine calls "Schwimmer fatigue."

i thought that was pretty funny[/QUOTE]
Awesome pickup. I hate it when I miss references to shows I never really watched. They need to drop some subtle Seinfeld-y stuff in. In fact, for one of the longest running and most influential comedies ever, it's surprising there haven't been (m)any references at all.

Medalion

Banned
I know you are an enjoyer of the show, I know yer not hating on it... I enjoy open discussion without it boiling down to belitting people's appreciation or non-enjoyment...I just wanted to comment on your feelings as it seems you are looking for some answers... hopefully I can provide some.

I know Dan Harmon greatly admires Seinfeld and talks about his show from time to time on twitter... they did briefly mention him in the pilot but outright Seinfeld references... probably too subtle.

Shaneus

I'm actually rewatching (only because it happened to be in my 360's HD-DVD drive) S1 and holy shit it's awesome.

"Look at me."
"I am."
"No, look how handsome my face is." :lol

Oh, I wasn't trying to justify myself or anything, just... trying to elaborate, I guess? Anyway, once this disc is over I'll be rewatching from the start of S3 again. It's just on 4:30pm here, that should take me out to the end of the day, by which time I'll be in a better spot to comment on the season thus far :)

Medalion

Banned
I'm very close to the end of the final season of Arrested Development... I just watched an episode near the end where they brought back the "Teaching Lessons" to each other gag... and it kept going back and forth who was teaching what, what lesson, even had a gun shooting a person

It reminded me of the Conspiracy episode in season 2 of Community

big ander

Medalion said:
I'm very close to the end of the final season of Arrested Development... I just watched an episode near the end where they brought back the "Teaching Lessons" to each other gag... and it kept going back and forth who was teaching what, what lesson, even had a gun shooting a person

It reminded me of the Conspiracy episode in season 2 of Community
It seems like you might be making a joke because of this, but when that episode aired a lot of people criticized it here on GAF for nearly ripping that scene from AD.

Medalion

Banned
I was never a fan of the Conspiracy episode... so if there was AD talk then, it woulda went over my head then... but now I see it... I think I liked the AD way it played out, cuz the Community was taking that idea and just stretching out the joke longer than it needed to be

beat

big ander said:
It seems like you might be making a joke because of this, but when that episode aired a lot of people criticized it here on GAF for nearly ripping that scene from AD.
IIRC Harmon said later (DVD commentary?) that the Russo brothers had been tied up with something else, so by the time they noticed and could bring up the AD similarity, it was way too late to rewrite it.

ipitydatfu said:

I don't get this. There's no drugs in Friends. And what is Schwimmer Fatigue?

Medalion

Banned
Edit:

Finally finished Arrested Development

Brilliant show and writing.

So glad I got into this so I can catch the new season and movie next year or whenever.

It even ends the series with Ron Howard saying the life story of the Bluths should be a movie... epic!

Sort of Community related.

Just got back from Donald Glover's last concert before his Camp Tour. Sat next to Danny Pudi and his wife for a bit before he headed backstage. During the encore of the show, Alison Brie provided some backup vocals with the choir.

Fucking awesome show.

mclem

Medalion said:

...relating to Jeff, I suspect. There seems to be a lot going on in his head. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-did the 'clips episode' idea but this time it's Britta psychoanalysing him.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
This show stopped being funny. It's more like watching a bunch of friends and having fun with them once a week. And after each episode, you get sad and realise this will all eventually come to an end.

Medalion

Banned
Veidt said:
This show stopped being funny. It's more like watching a bunch of friends and having fun with them once a week. And after each episode, you get sad and realise this will all eventually come to an end.
Et tu? U found nothing funny this season?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Nah. I meant, the funniness is overcome by the emotions that the show brings up at the end of each episode. Like watching a comedian do his very last performance, its amazing, but when finally it comes to an end, you almost wish you had never been introduced something like this, so that you may have been spared the pain of losing it.

Medalion

Banned
Veidt said:
Nah. I meant, the funniness is overcome by the emotions that the show brings up at the end of each episode. Like watching a comedian do his very last performance, its amazing, but when finally it comes to an end, you almost wish you had never been introduced something like this, so that you may have been spared the pain of losing it.
Dan Harmon in an uncharacteristically maturity, said the show is likely to be cancelled as much as the very first season, enjoy it while it lasts and don't linger on the eventual ending, all shows end at some point

Shaneus

Medalion said:
Dan Harmon in an uncharacteristically maturity, said the show is likely to be cancelled as much as the very first season, enjoy it while it lasts and don't linger on the eventual ending, all shows end at some point
Except The Simpsons.

Shaneus

Medalion said:
Have no fear, we've got stories for years...like when Britta becomes a robot!
Fuck, I *just* had that stuck in my head as I was opening this thread. Spooky.

Sorry for the clip shoooowwww.

Veidt said:
you almost wish you had never been introduced something like this, so that you may have been spared the pain of losing it.

No way. It's not even in the same realm as shows like Carnivale, Kings, Journeyman etc. (none of which I have watched lol)

We've got 56 (mostly) good episodes out of this. That's a lot in my mind and I'm glad I've seen this great show and will continue to feel that way when it gets cancelled eventually.

edit: derp dp

Rico

Loved the recent episode about Annie moving. Just full of great moments like Jeff and the Dean doing Karoke. This is still the most inventive comedy around.

Phenomic

ipitydatfu said:

i thought that was pretty funny

Ahh that's what she was talking about. I was wondering when that happened what the joke was and never quite figured it out.

the_log_ride said:
Sort of Community related.

Just got back from Donald Glover's last concert before his Camp Tour. Sat next to Danny Pudi and his wife for a bit before he headed backstage. During the encore of the show, Alison Brie provided some backup vocals with the choir.

Fucking awesome show.

Also, that's really cool. Did you hold a conversation with anyone?

gabbo

Medalion said:
Have no fear, we've got stories for years...like when Britta becomes a robot!
Shit... they've already gone past the Simpson's point of no return! In a claymation episode no less!

Shaneus said:
Oh, I wasn't trying to justify myself or anything, just... trying to elaborate, I guess? Anyway, once this disc is over I'll be rewatching from the start of S3 again. It's just on 4:30pm here, that should take me out to the end of the day, by which time I'll be in a better spot to comment on the season thus far :)

Godspeed sir!

Hopefully its not a futile effort :)

V_Arnold

An interesting thing that I just found:
Community season one, episode 7, Pierce accidentally calling his mother:
"I saw the father's ghost again. He is still angry!"

So Pierce's father...came back from the dead for season 3? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom