• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos Season 3 |OT| Going Back to Cali - Netflix 9/1

Vic_Viper

Haven't finished the season yet, but love what I've seen so far. One of Netflix's best original series by far.

Do they leave room for another season or is this the final one?

Moff

finished it and I think this was incredible
yes, the one big charismatic antagonist is lacking this season, but the show is incredibly well made, looks beautiful and the plot just keeps you going. episode 8 and 9 were intense as fuck and 10 is super satisfying. I think season 1 and 2 had some stupid side plots, season 3 does not, everything fits and is interesting. so many great actors and characters as well. They really pulled it off to make it work without escobar and after this season I am sure there will be more great ones to come.

Thought this was the best season yet. Javi is the best avenger. Ending spoiler:
Gotta love them hinting the next season marvel style.

HariKari

Hmm I wasn't terribly hyped about watching without Pablo but you guys are making me want to.

Pablo isn't really missed at all. The four Cali guys are just as interesting and all have different personalities. Pacho in particular. Every single new character they bring in is good, I don't know how they managed it. Probably the best season yet.

v1lla21

Just finished it. Another great season. I wonder if each subsequent season will
on a specific Mexican Cartel

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching it and I think it was another great season!
The first half of the season seemed like it was much slower paced than the latter half though. It kind of felt like they were speed-running tying up all of the loose ends in the last couple of episodes

Just finished it. Another great season. I wonder if each subsequent season will
on a specific Mexican Cartel

I was wondering about that too

when-you-have-to-go-back-to-reality-after-binge-4420280.png

I'm seven episodes in and so far I've found the women this season to all be incredibly emotional and unreasonable, borderline stereotype. They range between total panic and being stubborn as a mule. There's that woman living with Santacruz in New York who is just like "I don't want to leave, fix this." - what do you want him to do exactly? Or Jorge's wife, it's like she can't grasp the notion that the cartel will kill her and her entire family. About the only one with any agency was the grandma protecting her grandson.

Maybe someone can tell me if this is simply an accurate representation of the real life people, but I don't remember Pablo's wife being this obtuse.

I'm seven episodes in and so far I've found the women this season to all be incredibly emotional and unreasonable, borderline stereotype. They range between total panic and being stubborn as a mule. There's that woman living with Santacruz in New York who is just like "I don't want to leave, fix this." - what do you want him to do exactly? Or Jorge's wife, it's like she can't grasp the notion that the cartel will kill her and her entire family. About the only one with any agency was the grandma protecting her grandson.

Maybe someone can tell me if this is simply an accurate representation of the real life people, but I don't remember Pablo's wife being this obtuse.

In the case of Jorge's wife you need to understand that relocating to another country isn't an option regardless of the situation. Abandoning their homeland, family and everyone/everything they know it's a hard No for the majority of Hispanics.. they rather die.

Santacruz wife is the typical gold digger wife that's wants the lifestyle.. she rather her husband catch a case to avoid a mundane country "campo" lifestyle.

These type of women are very common.

In the case of Jorge's wife you need to understand that relocating to another country isn't an option regardless of the situation. Abandoning their homeland, family and everyone/everything they know it's a hard No for the majority of Hispanics.. they rather die.

But even early on before the talk of asylum in the US, she's constantly pissed he won't quit his job or stand up for himself. Does she know the kind of people they are? It's like she just hatched out of an egg.

Kaizer

Banned
Glad to hear this season sounds really good. I was a little worried if the show would hold up without Pablo's charismatic presence.

But even early on before the talk of asylum in the US, she's constantly pissed he won't quit his job or stand up for himself. Does she know the kind of people they are? It's like she just hatched out of an egg.

Definitely, I agree. Its a complex situation that you can view from several angles. For instance, the level of ignorance displayed on her part wouldn't shock me since you got to put yourself in the time period this occurred. Most of these women are from the countryside, plus you could say "Gee she wasn't complaining when Jorge showed her that land for the big house he was planning". On one hand she complains he works for the cartel but totally dismiss the house he's planning to do with drug money.

What I'm saying sounds sexist or some novela trope ( not my intention I'm trying to illustrate ) but as a Hispanic you come across these type of women even today and you just shake your head in disbelief. Hell, certain people go to small towns to get a housewife.

I've only watched two episodes so I don't know if they ever go into detail about Jorge's relationship with Paola.
In the case of Jorge's wife, when they started dating, she was an assitant manager at a bank, she despised narcos and for the longest time she did not that Jorge worked for the cartel. Also, Jorge was trying to get out of the cartel for the longest time. He was originally hired by the cartel to plot an attack on Escobar back on '89 withe the help from some British mercenaries. The attack did not work and when he wanted to get out he realized he was in too deep.

Only 3 eps into season 3 and yeah this show still has it after big change. Gotta give credit to the writers and actors for being able to keep it very compelling without Escobar.

tim.mbp

Don't really see a problem with Paola. She seemed pretty sheltered from the truth and Jorge himself had a pretty naive view on his situation.

That scene in the hair salon was fucking wild. Seeing Gabriel iglesias walk in the room as a gangster made me laugh and almost took me out of it lol.

HariKari

Don't really see a problem with Paola. She seemed pretty sheltered from the truth and Jorge himself had a pretty naive view on his situation.

Paola and Pallomari's wife as well were just comically naive or stupid, take your pick. Only when Jorge comes to her mother's house after watching a friend die, clearly shook up, does she seem to 'get it.' Pallomari's wife talking about staying to say goodbye to her lover when there's roving bands of gunmen looking for them.

It just came off as stupid and unbelievable for both of them, given the life they were involved in. At least they had mercy and made Maria self-aware.

Acidote

Just saw the introduction of
General José Serrano
. I love these kind of scenes.

Edit:

And by the way, Narcos looks like the CW did the casting for Netflix. Why is most people on this show (at least this season) so good looking? Or is it just an impression I have?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the introduction of
General José Serrano
. I love these kind of scenes.

Edit:

And by the way, Narcos looks like the CW did the casting for Netflix. Why is most people on this show (at least this season) so good looking? Or is it just an impression I have?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Like when they would show actual footage of the 4 godfathers and then cut back to the actors playing them

Holy shit. I was happily watching this and I notice the guy playing "Chepe" is my friend's uncle. The more surprising thing is he is/was a soap opera actor in Portugal and now he made this huge leap into Narcos. Can't get what happened there but I'm really happy for him and like his performance so far.

tauroxd

That scene in the hair salon was fucking wild.
Seeing Gabriel iglesias walk in the room as a gangster made me laugh and almost took me out of it lol.

I was fucking laughing out loud when that happened! I just found it funny enough to let it slide because it probably was done as a joke, so I appreciate it lol.

Show desperately needs an anchor like Escobar. The Cali Godfathers aren't as fleshed out and don't do much character wise except maybe Miguel. They seem like generic bad guys where as Escobar was fleshed out beautifully.

yeah but honestly having a sympathetic character make it all the way through makes the ending feel a lot more rewarding than if he got capped at the end
Definitely.
Show desperately needs an anchor like Escobar. The Cali Godfathers aren't as fleshed out and don't do much character wise except maybe Miguel. They seem like generic bad guys where as Escobar was fleshed out beautifully.

Pacho is that dude tho.

jmood88

"At the devils table" tells the story from Jorge Salcedo's perspective. Is not a novel but almost reads like one.
I was just about to recommend this. I read it years ago and this season makes me want to read it again.

Thanks to Narcos, whenever I see Jaime in Broad City, I'll be expecting him to kill someone for no reason.

Top Bottom