• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
I don't really like LED monitors, the image on many of them is very washed out and bright. There's so little room for adjustment because it always seems too bright.

Some are obviously better than others but they certainly haven't won me over, I want warm, full colours and LED just isn't giving me that compared to my ole' Dell 24"

larvi

Zapages said:
After discussing things with my Father. We are a bit tight on money right now.

So instead of buying a new computer, we are thinking of just upgrading the ram and getting a new hard drive and maybe a new graphics card:

My current board is this Intel D865Perl: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865PERL/sb/CS-027106.htm

What type of ram do you guys recommend for this motherboard? I don't want to buy RAM that will not work on it. :(

I will have 32bit Windows 7 running it. So up to 3 GB will be nice or could I get 2 GB and allow my current 512 of ram to still be there?

My current RAM sticker and logo says: BRAVO 512 MB DDR DIMM,N 64WPO PO17296

I would prefer buying it from amazon.com

Also will it support this hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VRZ7PA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Will this graphics card be good: Axle3D Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512MB DDR3 256-Bit HDTV / S-Video AGP 8x Video Card w/Dual Link DVI: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q62VYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

upgrade from my current Geforce 7600GT 256 MB DDR3. My current power supply is only 350W though. Will that still be ok for this one or should not upgrade the graphics card as its not worth it now?

The computer is used for minimum gaming (mostly old school stuff ie. Xbox/PS2 generation of PC games(Ys/PoP SoT/WW/T2T/PoP 1/2:Shadow and the Flame/3D), and some trackmania on the side :D)

The current PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103913

If I upgrade: The specs will be:

Pentium 4 2.6c Ghz
2 GB of RAM or 2.5 GB of RAM
320 GB Hard Drive
Geforce 7950GT 512 MB

It's really hard to recommend putting anymore money into that. But the time you add the 2GB of DDR memory ($60), hard drive($50) sata card(since that mb doesn't look like it has a sata controller, $30) and video card($110) you are at $250 and you still have seriously outdated hardware.

In my opinion you would be better up saving up a bit more and getting something like this:
http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Desktop-Computers/product~dpno~8802649~pdp.gicjbje

For around $450 you get a current quad core processor, 8gb ram, 1TB hard drive, Win7 64bit and while the built in graphics isn't great (radeon 6570) , it's probably as good as the 7950GT AGP and you have the option of spending a bit more down the line to get something better.

Shambles

Zapages said:

When stuff get's the old it gets really hard, and surprisingly expensive to upgrade as those parts have not been manufactured in years. You can try your luck with used parts. You'd probably be better off going with the new llano platform with the AMD A8-3850 and an FM1 motherboard, and you would need some DDR3 memory as well. In Canada that would run around 300-330$ and is about the cheapest you can get for something that can get by for gaming. Depending on how tight things are for you it might just be better to go the llano route or keep waiting if you don't want to spend a few hundred now if you think you'll want to upgrade to a competent rig 12 months down the road. Hell, if I lived in your area i'd throw you some parts I have laying around if things really are that rough for you :S

I got rid of two P4 machines last year that I found hanging around my house. I use a third as a NAS.

Edit: That refurb would be a better buy than a llano build.

Deadstar

I think I found a monitor I like and it lists the refresh rate as:

Horizontal Refresh Rate 30~80 KHz
Vertical Refresh Rate 55~75 Hz

I'm not familiar with a range like this. What does it mean? Does it mean that I can run the monitor at a 75 hz refresh rate since both the vertical and horizontal refresh rates can handle it? 75 hz refresh rate is my end goal.

JAD0109

Neo Member
Got a few more questions, gentlemen.

1) Overclocked my EVGA GTX580 from stock to "superclocked" version. How much more can I squeeze out of it safely?

2) Overclocked my i7-2600k from 3.4ghz to 4.0ghz, but CPU-Z is showing my Bus Speed is 99.8mhz, which means my Core Speed is only 3991.6mhz. Why is this?

I used the UEFI BIOS (ASRock P67 Mobo) and increased my multiplier to 40, but I left the voltage on Auto. Is my slightly low Bus Speed due to not having enough voltage?

3) Is there anything I can do to reduce the impact that FRAPS has on my FPS? I've set it to record half size at 30fps (maybe that's the issue?) and record to a secondary internal HDD.

4) Is it possible to change the fan on a GPU without voiding the warranty? I haven't really had any issues with my card yet, but as earlier posters know, heat is a big deal to me.

legend166

Hazaro said:
Cheaper Case.
XFX Core 550W.

Thanks for the help thus far.

I've made some changes and after looking around found I could get a 2GB 6970 for the same price as a GTX570. So this is what I've got:

Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 2*DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP DX11
Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155
ASRock Z68-Pro3
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case
Corsair HX-650 650W ATX Modular Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphic
OCZ SSD 2.5" SATA 60GB Vertex2 285/275MB/S
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD

That's $1230.

As for the case and PSU, what would you suggest from here:

Cases: https://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23159&p=group

PSU: https://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23385&p=group

And how is that SSD? Is 60GB too small?

Last questions - is this thing going to be loud? Would anyone recommend getting aftermarket fans/coolers or whatever?

bill0527

Zapages said:

So instead of buying a new computer, we are thinking of just upgrading the ram and getting a new hard drive and maybe a new graphics card:

My current board is this Intel D865Perl: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865PERL/sb/CS-027106.htm

What type of ram do you guys recommend for this motherboard? I don't want to buy RAM that will not work on it. :(

I will have 32bit Windows 7 running it. So up to 3 GB will be nice or could I get 2 GB and allow my current 512 of ram to still be there?

My current RAM sticker and logo says: BRAVO 512 MB DDR DIMM,N 64WPO PO17296

I would prefer buying it from amazon.com

Also will it support this hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VRZ7PA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Will this graphics card be good: Axle3D Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512MB DDR3 256-Bit HDTV / S-Video AGP 8x Video Card w/Dual Link DVI: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q62VYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

upgrade from my current Geforce 7600GT 256 MB DDR3. My current power supply is only 350W though. Will that still be ok for this one or should not upgrade the graphics card as its not worth it now?

The computer is used for minimum gaming (mostly old school stuff ie. Xbox/PS2 generation of PC games(Ys/PoP SoT/WW/T2T/PoP 1/2:Shadow and the Flame/3D), and some trackmania on the side :D)

The current PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103913

Pentium 4 2.6c Ghz
320 GB Hard Drive
Geforce 7950GT 512 MB

I vote save your money. You say its used for minimal gaming. Even after the upgrades, you're not going to get much better performance. You're still going to be playing most games released today and in the next 6 months on low settings - even if they will run at all. I seldom look at game system requirements anymore but it seems like the ones I've looked at recently, require at least a core 2 duo processor. I'm guessing your current PC is used for general computer stuff - web browsing, email, word processing, and upgrading isn't really going to improve that. Do you really want to spend $200+ to make your word document open 1.5 seconds faster? Or make that web page load up just a tad bit quicker?

tehbible

Red Blaster said:
How are stock Intel coolers? I'm getting an i7 2600 so no overclocking.

stock intel coolers are fine on a stock CPU with no oc'ing. heck i bet the stock cooler can OC a considerable amount before temps get too high.

tehbible

Citizen K said:
Is there a general consensus on how good led monitors are? I was looking at this one:

http://www.box.co.uk/Samsung_SyncMaster_BX223122_LED_LCD_Wid_1037138.html

If folks have money to spare, I'd consider IPS displays the way to go, especially now that IPS displays are improving with response times.

The HPZR24w is a good example as it is also tuned for PC gaming as well where response time is essential.

Plus, the resolution goes up to 1920 x 1200. I'm sick of these LCD's maxing out at 1920 x 1080. Cheaper yes, but not ideal for a computer monitor.

Shambles

tehbible said:
If folks have money to spare, I'd consider IPS displays the way to go, especially now that IPS displays are improving with response times.

The HPZR24w is a good example as it is also tuned for PC gaming as well where response time is essential.

Plus, the resolution goes up to 1920 x 1200. I'm sick of these LCD's maxing out at 1920 x 1080. Cheaper yes, but not ideal for a computer monitor.

Anyone travelling up to Edmonton from the states should bring me up a couple :p It's $150 more up here. It's impossible to get a 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel in Canada for under $500 :S

I'd like to repeat my query with some more context, after looking around--

I want to make a mATX/ITX form-factor machine that would be running on a 17-19 inch widescreen monitor and playing modern PC games around that natural resolution. I'd like it to be capable of recording 720p@60fps footage from a Xbox360.

I'd like 8GB of RAM and an AMD processor(EDIT: if you think an Intel setup would work better, hit me with it). No particular preference regarding the graphics card, although I've gone nVidia for the past 5 years or so. I'm not interested in overclocking, unless doing so at a stable rate would make it easier to fit the specs.

Ideally I'd want a SSD for system and a traditional HDD for data, but I'm OK with just a HDD that I could transition into the ideal setup later on if it saves money.

My price point is one grand, but I'd really like to keep the whole thing under $700--not including the price of the monitor or video capture card. The lower the better, really.

I was looking at one these two cases to seat the entire thing in, but I'm more than open to suggestions. I'm not afraid to get my hands twisted in a knot wiring the whole thing together, that's the fun part!

I also want to make sure that this card is the best option to suit my video capture needs, or if there's a cheaper solution that would work just as well.

Everything else I'm not really certain about; can someone assist me with this?

mike23

darkblade77 said:

I want to make a mATX/ITX form-factor machine that would be running on a 17-19 inch widescreen monitor and playing modern PC games around that natural resolution. I'd like it to be capable of recording 720p@60fps footage from a Xbox360.

I'd like 8GB of RAM and an AMD processor. No particular preference regarding the graphics card, although I've gone nVidia for the past 5 years or so. I'm not interested in overclocking, unless doing so at a stable rate would make it easier to fit the specs.

Ideally I'd want a SSD for system and a traditional HDD for data, but I'm OK with just a HDD that I could transition into the ideal setup later on if it saves money.

My price point is one grand, but I'd really like to keep the whole thing under $700--not including the price of the monitor or video capture card. The lower the better, really.

I was looking at one these two cases to seat the entire thing in, but I'm more than open to suggestions. I'm not afraid to get my hands twisted in a knot wiring the whole thing together, that's the fun part!

I also want to make sure that this card is the best option to suit my video capture needs, or if there's a cheaper solution that would work just as well.

I'd suggest considering a Sandy Bridge i5. They destroy any AMD cpu available and they aren't that expensive.

Zapages

Thank you guys for the advice. Honestly, I don't game that much nor do I play FPSes. The only game that I play regularly play is trackmania. Nothing else though as my laptop is decent enough to play most of the modern games at a decent setting. Then in the future, buy a new computer that will be top of the line ie after windows 8 releases.

I guess will just go with a new hard drive and more RAM. The main reason to get a new hard drive is that our current hard drive is dying. :( As for the ram, the computer runs Windows 7 at a very slow speed. :(

Basically, the only reason I wanted to upgrade the graphics card was to make Trackmania look better.

Also I do have two slots for SATA on the motherboard, but I haven't used them. I am scared to use them as well as I never used them before.

Would these work on my current computer:

Hard Drive 320 GB: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RO3BPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ram: 2GB: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6KQ7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Basically we want something that will just work for browsing the websites, word processing, and some light gaming at most.

EDIT: Also will I still be able to use my current RAM addition to 2GB?

Nakayumi

Can anyone help me out a bit with deciding on a new graphics card?

I bought a new PC last year, but with a low profile GeForce GT 430 since I wasn't planning on using it for gaming a lot. Steam and it's crazy sales changed all that, and seeing The Witcher 2 has pushed me over the edge. Some of my specs right now;

Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
4.0 GB RAM
GeForce GT 430

Note that I am kind of a PC hardware noob, been playing nothing but console games for the last 8 years, but I'm trying to get familiar with all the terms and figure out what's important for my rig. So, any recommendations on a good card so I'm able to play The Witcher 2 and the coming Deus Ex: HR decently?

Zapages

Nakayumi said:

I bought a new PC last year, but with a low profile GeForce GT 430 since I wasn't planning on using it for gaming a lot. Steam and it's crazy sales changed all that, and seeing The Witcher 2 has pushed me over the edge. Some of my specs right now;

4.0 GB RAM
GeForce GT 430

Note that I am kind of a PC hardware noob, been playing nothing but console games for the last 8 years, but I'm trying to get familiar with all the terms and figure out what's important for my rig. So, any recommendations on a good card so I'm able to play The Witcher 2 and the coming Deus Ex: HR decently?

what's your Power Supply Unit's Watts? Depending on that you could get a new graphics card.

Misanthropy said:
I was reading about DDR4 and it said (on wikipedia) that it is scheduled to be released on the market by 2012. My question is does that mean that the motherboards for Ivy Bridge will use DDR4? How likely is it that it will be?

No earlier than Haswell, I predict.

I wonder if Ivy Bridge will top off at 4 cores, or if Bulldozer will force them to push harder. Maybe then the upper-mid segment represented by the non-HT quad cores (i. e. i5-2500k, i5-7xx) will finally include some HT choices, and hopefully not at too much of a price bump.

larvi

Zapages said:
Also I do have two slots for SATA on the motherboard, but I haven't used them. I am scared to use them as well as I never used them before.

Would these work on my current computer:

Hard Drive 320 GB: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RO3BPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ram: 2GB: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6KQ7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Basically we want something that will just work for browsing the websites, word processing, and some light gaming at most.

You are right, I didn't see the 2 sata ports the first time I looked at the mb layout. So you could go with a SATA drive. I did have an issue when I put a newer 2TB sata drive in an old P4 computer I had, but I was able to resolve that by setting a jumper on the back of the drive to limit it to 1.5 Gb/s. I think that was a problem specific to the VIA chipset on my motherboard so the Intel probably wouldn't have that.

But if you don't want to try the SATA though that EIDE drive you linked (and actually the first one you linked) will work. And the memory looks correct to me as well. You have 4 dimm slots on the motherboard so you should be able to put the 2 1GB modules in along with the 512 currently in there. Make sure you put the 2 1GB modules in the same bank so you get the dual channel support.

scogoth

darkblade77 said:

I'd like 8GB of RAM and an AMD processor(EDIT: if you think an Intel setup would work better, hit me with it). No particular preference regarding the graphics card, although I've gone nVidia for the past 5 years or so. I'm not interested in overclocking, unless doing so at a stable rate would make it easier to fit the specs.

I would use the Hauppauge over black magic. Great reviews and hauppauge is a lot more suited to consumer needs. Go sandy bridge and Z68 mobo with virtu for the video encoding, it will make your life a dream for exports. SSD not needed to record XBOX footage but a secondary hard drive is always great for recording PC footage.

mike23

darkblade77 said:
Allright, for the sake of building let me lift the AMD restriction.

QcPaV.png

This puts you under 700 without the SSD. Tough to fit an SSD in at 700. You could go smaller to save some money though. Can save another 20 bucks or so if you go with a non-modular power supply, but personally I'm not a fan.

I don't know if the video card fits in those cases or not though.

Slightly modified version of the $600 build in the OP. Should be a good starting point. Make sure you go over it and make sure everything is to your taste

scogoth said:
I would use the Hauppauge over black magic. Great reviews and hauppauge is a lot more suited to consumer needs. Go sandy bridge and Z68 mobo with virtu for the video encoding, it will make your life a dream for exports. SSD not needed to record XBOX footage but a secondary hard drive is always great for recording PC footage.

Good point on the z68. A bit more expensive than the H67, but might be worth it for the video encoding.

edit: actually, is there any difference between h67 and z68 besides overclocking on the z68?

scogoth

mike23 said:
This puts you under 700 without the SSD. Tough to fit an SSD in at 700. You could go smaller to save some money though. Can save another 20 bucks or so if you go with a non-modular power supply, but personally I'm not a fan.

I don't know if the video card fits in those cases or not though.

Slightly modified version of the $600 build in the OP. Should be a good starting point. Make sure you go over it and make sure everything is to your taste

Good point on the z68. A bit more expensive than the H67, but might be worth it for the video encoding.

edit: actually, is there any difference between h67 and z68 besides overclocking on the z68?

No not really. But he said he wanted to game and you can't use the video encoding on an H67 when using a dedicated GPU.

Zapages

larvi said:
You are right, I didn't see the 2 sata ports the first time I looked at the mb layout. So you could go with a SATA drive. I did have an issue when I put a newer 2TB sata drive in an old P4 computer I had, but I was able to resolve that by setting a jumper on the back of the drive to limit it to 1.5 Gb/s. I think that was a problem specific to the VIA chipset on my motherboard so the Intel probably wouldn't have that.

But if you don't want to try the SATA though that EIDE drive you linked (and actually the first one you linked) will work. And the memory looks correct to me as well. You have 4 dimm slots on the motherboard so you should be able to put the 2 1GB modules in along with the 512 currently in there. Make sure you put the 2 1GB modules in the same bank so you get the dual channel support.

Is the 320 GB version not supported, the second hard drive posted is not supported? Confused? :( Although it is the same brand.type but with larger drive size.

The mother board's manual does say it can support up to 4 GB. I guess it has 4x 1 gb modules? Correct? Even though I only had the one ram slot used.

(._.)

Banned
I need some help.

I'm trying to install the drivers for my sound card but the PC doesn't think it is in the system, WTF?

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_DG/#overview

this is my sound card. It is asking me to plug-in ASUS Xonar DG Audio device. It wouldn't even start installing the drivers when I would click ok after this pop up. After I quit the installation qindows reccomnded I try it again their way and it installed the driver (I think???) but is still asking me to plug-in this device...IT IS IN.

What do I do? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

So my new comp is hooked, but the CPU fan is really loud and the temp apparently is 55c. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I have no attempted any type of over clocking or stuff like that.

I'm really concerned as the fan is really really loud. Is it possible the default settings in the bios were set too high, though that doesn't make too much sense. It was not this loud before or at least I don't think it was during my external tests.

Zapages

(._.) said:
I need some help.

I'm trying to install the drivers for my sound card but the PC doesn't think it is in the system, WTF?

this is my sound card. It is asking me to plug-in ASUS Xonar DG Audio device. It wouldn't even start installing the drivers when I would click ok after this pop up. After I quit the installation qindows reccomnded I try it again their way and it installed the driver (I think???) but is still asking me to plug-in this device...IT IS IN.

If your motherboard has internal soundcard. Please check to see, if your bios has been set to the pci sound card instead of internal sound card/device.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zephervack said:
So i see in the OP that there is an issue with some Vertex 3 SSDs with blue screen.

I recently started getting Blue Screens while playing some games but i am not sure if it is due to the SSD or something else. Any ideas how can i trace it back to the SSD to ask for a replacement?

Thanks
I THINK you should update to 2.06 and see if that works for you... If not, try 2.08, then finally 2.09.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-Agility3-Solid3-support-and-discussion-forum
Zapages said:

Pentium 4 2.6c Ghz
320 GB Hard Drive
Geforce 7950GT 512 MB
Don't both throwing money at that.

If your budget is something like $400, try to find a used Core 2 Duo machine with something like:
E8400 + GTX 260 or HD4870.

Alternatively try to find used parts that match or come close to the OP build. A $70 GTX 260 would work great.
legend166 said:
Thanks for the help thus far.

I've made some changes and after looking around found I could get a 2GB 6970 for the same price as a GTX570. So this is what I've got:

Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE 2*DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP DX11
Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155
ASRock Z68-Pro3
G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case
Corsair HX-650 650W ATX Modular Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphic
OCZ SSD 2.5" SATA 60GB Vertex2 285/275MB/S
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD

That's $1230.
And how is that SSD? Is 60GB too small?

Last questions - is this thing going to be loud? Would anyone recommend getting aftermarket fans/coolers or whatever?
Either get a 550W or a 750W. The selection is pretty sparse (at least the instock ones).
The Antec HCG 750w is priced pretty nicely and is solid. Of course you give up modular, but you can run 2 6970's later.
http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23385&pid=39735&p=product
darkblade77 said:

Budget build in OP + 2400 + Antec BP550 (Cheap and modular to help with case) + 560 Ti. That clocks in about $750.
You can drop $825 and get a 2500K + Z68 motherboard which I'd suggest. That lets you drop in a cheaper SSD for SSD Cache as well.

knitoe

(._.) said:
I need some help.

if you haven't, first, disable onboard sound. Remove onboard sound drivers. Do you see the sound card in Device Manager? Maybe, try another slot.

bill0527

Nakayumi said:

4.0 GB RAM
GeForce GT 430

Need to know your budget and the wattage of your current power supply. It may be written on the back of it. If it isn't, and you've got a pre-built computer then you'll need to look it up or ask the manufacturer.

Zapages

@Hazaro, currently it'll be only 103 dollars for 2 GB ram and 320 gb hard drive. I am planning on saving money and buy a new computer after windows 8 releases, especially if the XBox games working on them becomes true.

This upgrade purpose is to just keep everything fresh and fast for windows 7 to better.

RS4-

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Any ideas on what could be wrong with my fan?vita annoying as everything else seems fine.

I haven't had the chance to go through the thread recently; tried plugging it in another headers to see if it works?

Or plug in a fan that you know that works into the header where the malfunctioning one is connected to?

RS4- said:
I haven't had the chance to go through the thread recently; tried plugging it in another headers to see if it works?

Or plug in a fan that you know that works into the header where the malfunctioning one is connected to?

I don't have any other fans to work with. I'm wonder if perhaps I put it in wrong. It doesn't seem to be in danger range.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Tech guy said its most likely cpu is fried... he will try it with another mobo tomorrow just in case but he told me to not hold any hopes.. oh well it my fault for not putting back the heatsink in a proper way, he said thats what it fried the cpu :(

Sethos said:
I don't really like LED monitors, the image on many of them is very washed out and bright. There's so little room for adjustment because it always seems too bright.

Some are obviously better than others but they certainly haven't won me over, I want warm, full colours and LED just isn't giving me that compared to my ole' Dell 24"

That's easy to fix after you adjust the colors.

So I used fans speed to drop it down to 40% at 1173 RPM. The temps seem be fine, but I still hear a noise that makes it sound slightly like bike spokes hitting a baseball card. I'm thinking I must have put the fan in wrong somehow, but it doesn't seem like anything awful happened. I'm thinking I might just take this into Microcenter and see if they can fix it. It seems more annoyance now than real problem (vs OMG it's going to fry shit).

Well at least I can test a game or something out. :)

RS4-

So I used fans speed to drop it down to 40% at 1173 RPM. The temps seem be fine, but I still hear a noise that makes it sound slightly like bike spokes hitting a baseball card. I'm thinking I must have put the fan in wrong somehow, but it doesn't seem like anything awful happened. I'm thinking I might just take this into Microcenter and see if they can fix it. It seems more annoyance now than real problem (vs OMG it's going to fry shit).

Well at least I can test a game or something out. :)

Oh..is there a wire/cable in the way?

larvi

So I used fans speed to drop it down to 40% at 1173 RPM. The temps seem be fine, but I still hear a noise that makes it sound slightly like bike spokes hitting a baseball card.

Probably just one of the cables or molex connectors hitting the fan, it happens to me all the time when I turn the case on its side to work on it then turn it back right side up again.

(._.)

Banned
Zapages said:
If your motherboard has internal soundcard. Please check to see, if your bios has been set to the pci sound card instead of internal sound card/device.

knitoe said:
if you haven't, first, disable onboard sound. Remove onboard sound drivers. Do you see the sound card in Device Manager? Maybe, try another slot.
Ok so I went to device manager and disabled the realtek audio device which I believe is my on board sound. I still have multiple NVIDIA sound things under the sound section of device manager but I am not getting audio anymore. Tried to reinstall but nothing...

Went through bios and I didn't see anything that had to do with the soundcard either. Not sure where or what it would be under the bios but I looked through everything and I saw nothing relating to even the on board audio. I don't think it is listed under the bios.

Anybody think they know what is going on?

RS4- said:
Oh..is there a wire/cable in the way?
It seemed like the wires were in the line of blade, but I can't confirm it a 100%.

larvi said:
Probably just one of the cables or molex connectors hitting the fan, it happens to me all the time when I turn the case on its side to work on it then turn it back right side up again.
Now that could seem likely as I didn't recall it happening when it was on the side. Well that's good to hear.

Are the RPM speeds for the CPU Fan horribly odd? If not I guess it's just whatever it's hitting. That said it must be the actual wire wrapped around the CPU and not something independent.

Oh the 3.6 Mbs dl from Steam is so awesome, so I really want to fix this problem.

Have you opened up the case while it's running to see if you can figure out why it's so loud, Manos?

In any case, sounds like you're almost there.

slidewinder said:
Have you opened up the case while it's running to see if you can figure out why it's so loud, Manos?

In any case, sounds like you're almost there.

I'm looking at it right now I have the case open. No clue what it could be.

I moved it back to 100% on speed fan and it shot up to 1800 RPMs! Now at 40% it's 1167. I wonder if the bios is being goofy.

Had an absolute oh shit moment tonight while installing my 4 new enermax fans. While cutting my cable ties I cut the cord to one of the fucking fans. After panicking for about 5 minutes, I took the scissors, stripped the insulation off both ends, and twisted the exposed wires together. It's working just fine now... wew.

Going from my case fans to these new Enermax fans is uh... at least a 3x improvement in airflow. And with that, my GTX560 Ti, and my extra 8GB of g.Skill Sniper, my 1 year refresh is done. Feels good man. Looking at getting a SSD for XMAS, as my 5400 RPM drive is really freaking killing my build now.

Thanks a bunch, PC-GAF. I have a GTX260 sitting around in my old, large media tower that I'll probably temp in this build until I can drop the extra ~200 on a modern card. The Silverstone case can fit video cards up to 11" in width, so your average bruiser will fit.

That being said, build currently looks like this after suggestions:

30d9o9x.png

Comes to about $504 after shipping and the additional rebate codes.

The Silverstone case(GD05) is ~90$ with free shipping off Amazon right now, so the build ends up hovering just under $600 until I get the new video card and SSD in, which pretty much leaves me sitting at the limit.

Any additional suggestions/sanity-checks/etc are welcome!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zapages said:
@Hazaro, currently it'll be only 103 dollars for 2 GB ram and 320 gb hard drive. I am planning on saving money and buy a new computer after windows 8 releases, especially if the XBox games working on them becomes true.

This upgrade purpose is to just keep everything fresh and fast for windows 7 to better.
If you can pawn off your DDR2 later then I'll agree.
The_Inquisitor said:
Had an absolute oh shit moment tonight while installing my 4 new enermax fans. While cutting my cable ties I cut the cord to one of the fucking fans. After panicking for about 5 minutes, I took the scissors, stripped the insulation off both ends, and twisted the exposed wires together. It's working just fine now... wew.

Going from my case fans to these new Enermax fans is uh... at least a 3x improvement in airflow. And with that, my GTX560 Ti, and my extra 8GB of g.Skill Sniper, my 1 year refresh is done. Feels good man. Looking at getting a SSD for XMAS, as my 5400 RPM drive is really freaking killing my build now.
Make sure there is electrical tape or heat shrink tubing covering the exposed wire.
darkblade77 said:
Thanks a bunch, PC-GAF. I have a GTX260 sitting around in my old, large media tower that I'll probably temp in this build until I can drop the extra ~200 on a modern card. The Silverstone case can fit video cards up to 11" in width, so your average bruiser will fit.

That being said, build currently looks like this after suggestions:

30d9o9x.png

Comes to about $504 after shipping and the additional rebate codes.

The Silverstone case(GD05) is ~90$ with free shipping off Amazon right now, so the build ends up hovering just under $600 until I get the new video card and SSD in, which pretty much leaves me sitting at the limit.

Any additional suggestions/sanity-checks/etc are welcome!
Looks good. If you want a better supply (sans modular) you can get the XFX Core 550W.
Also for $25 more you can get the 2500K which you can overclock to a nice 4.0Ghz (3.7Ghz stock) on stock cooling, 4.4GHz on aftermarket.

I wonder if it's possible the fan I got is just good old defective. I mean it's always possible.

If my cpu temps and (apparently the RPM isn't really odd at 2000) stay normal is there any reason beyond annoyance that I couldn't use my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom