• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Dai101

Banned
2014-11-26_18-19-060fjzw.jpg

It's up on xbox live marketplace. I'm an idiot, I bought it even though I got PS3 version pre-ordered.

How much costs?

Went ahead and ordered the CE on play-asia last night. Want a physical copy and the PC copy I was going to get will be had for near nothing more than likely down the line. Looking forward to seeing this holds up and how jarring the new 3D elements are.

News Bot

Banned
Wrong. No one knows who played Jill. She was a high-school girl in Japan at the time and happened to land the part, so she likely just never actually got into any form of show business and just went on to live a normal life.

However, various of the other actors had been hunted down over time.

Here, I made this image a few years back myself using the latest pictures I could find of the actors:

F82BhL7.jpg

Also amusing tidbit: Lynn Harris (who played Rebecca) is responsible for the campy voice acting in RE1. The production was short a voice director and she volunteered to do it without any experience.

It wasn't just Lynn to be fair. The translator barely understood English, so the English script was pretty much gibberish (the games are not written in English contrary to popular belief). The actors themselves weren't great either.

He probably just wanted fresh faces. To be fair, Jill Valentine (the character) is also supposed to be ex-delta force, ex swat and whatnot at the tender age of 24.

These aren't true. She was never in Delta Force, but she took part in a Delta Force training program while she was in the U.S. Army. Not sure where "former Delta Force" came from but it was probably the BradyGames or Prima guides, which are full of shit when it comes to anything story-related. She also wasn't ex-SWAT as she didn't work for law enforcement before, S.T.A.R.S. was her first police-related job.

The game has been added to re.net

- Game completion Ranking

- Weapons unlocked

- Creatures encountered

- Game Progress

Also a Tab for 'online unlockables'.

Sectus

I played the game for a little bit. I can confirm a couple of things people have been asking for:
- When playing the game in 4:3, everything is 4:3, including the pre-rendered cutscenes.
- I think it has all the control schemes from the original game. I saw a control scheme where RT is move forward and left/right is rotate.

The new controls are default, but I appreciate that after you press "new game," it'll show a quick options screen with the most important choices: aspect ratio, control type, subtitles, and voiced language.

Sectus

I had a brief look at game files. The game is using MT Framework. And the surprising thing is that the resolutions of character textures seems to be the same as in REmake:
pl01_body_bmrku5k.png

I guess all the new detail comes from normal mapping and new shaders.

Murkrow

Banned
WARNING
Just tuned into Carcinogen's Twitch and he's discovered that in menus the game uses the OS controls. So because of his Japanese game on an American PS3:

Press O to pick up an item
Press O to...cancel and leave the item

So he has to press O to pick it up then remind his brain to switch to switch to X.

He's talking about dropping the PS3 version and going to the 360 version until it's fixed.

Side note: X to run? Fuck that noise, I want square to be the run button like classic RE should have.

From this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140554705#post140554705

Xpliskin

I had a brief look at game files. The game is using MT Framework. And the surprising thing is that the resolutions of character textures seems to be the same as in REmake:
pl01_body_bmrku5k.png

Which criteria did you base this on ? The game has .arc files ?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
pl01_body_bmrku5k.png

Weird, because the cutscene models already have higher res versions available. I used that in my REmake mod for Dolphin.

At least that means on PC we'll be able to put the higher quality character textures in instead.

So let me ask a question. Let's say you have a regular American account with games on your hard drive. You want to get this game. You change over to the Jsoanease account.... And download it.. Once you have the game can you go back and switch back to your American account and still have/play the game?

So let me ask a question. Let's say you have a regular American account with games on your hard drive. You want to get this game. You change over to the Jsoanease account.... And download it.. Once you have the game can you go back and switch back to your American account and still have/play the game?

Yes. It works.

Sectus

Can you freely switch between movement types or is it a separate mode entirely?

There's two control types (you can change it in options at any time):
- Alternate: Analog stick is new controls, d-pad is tank controls
- Original: Both analog stick and d-pad are tank controls

Which criteria did you base this on ? The game has .arc files ?
Container files, model files, texture files, shader files, and more are the exact same formats as MT Framework games. It's identical enough that a program I made for extracting and converting files works without any modification. This is definitely MT Framework.

That's what I'm doing on the 360. I assume it would work on PS3 too though.

So if I buy the amount of money it is in us, transfer to Japanese account will the money convert? I might just get this then.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The game costs about 3900 yen, that's like 33$.

The only way to pay for the digital version outside of Japan is to use japanese PSN codes, you can either get one worth 3000 yen and one worth 1000 or you just buy one that's worth 5000, these are your options.

I meant if I get enough money in my account (this is 360 by the way) and switch to the Japanse store will my money auto convert so I can just buy it or do I have to buy other currency?

TyrantII

pl01_body_bmrku5k.png

This is jacks total lack of surprise.

Said it earlier but the best option for RE Fans seems to he to wait for this to hit the bargain bin and for technically minded fans to do it right with a mod of the backgrounds and files.

Good to see my no faith in Capcom is still validated, sadly.

News Bot

Banned
This is jacks total lack of surprise.

Said it earlier but the best option for RE Fans seems to he to wait for this to hit the bargain bin and for technically minded fans to do it right with a mod of the backgrounds and files.

Good to see my no faith in Capcom is still validated, sadly.

CAPCOM's methods are pretty much what fans would've done with a mod anyway.

TyrantII

CAPCOM's methods are pretty much what fans would've done with a mod anyway.

As far as I've read up it should not be too hard to re-render the backgrounds from scratch. Just somewhat time consuming to do so (rebuilding them specifically).

Doesnt seem like it be much more work than HD texture mods for people with the tools and expertise model and render them.

I guess one can hope. And yes, I'm a little jaded Capcom seems to have tried to find the cheapest way to get this into the remaster category and cash in on remaster ports instead of being a little bit forward thinking and future proofing this for 4k and the future.

A lot of old console games weren't really done with historical preservation in mind like a lot of old TV shows. Its too bad, but its also sad to see developers not take chances like these to remedy that situation. But I guess Capcom isn't in much a position to ATM anyways.

Aaaaand it's up on PSN, you do have to search for biohazard, it doesn't appear in the recent titles list yet.

(And I haven't tried in in the actual PS3 store, only the web browser version.)

Edit: You can find it using the PS3's store as well, though I had to search for the title in kana, biohazard didn't work.

Downloading now.=D

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As far as I've read up it should not be too hard to re-render the backgrounds from scratch. Just somewhat time consuming to do so (rebuilding them specifically).

Doesnt seem like it be much more work than HD texture mods for people with the tools and expertise model and render them.

I guess one can hope. And yes, I'm a little jaded Capcom seems to have tried to find the cheapest way to get this into the remaster category and cash in on remaster ports instead of being a little bit forward thinking and future proofing this for 4k and the future.

A lot of old console games weren't really done with historical preservation in mind like a lot of old TV shows. Its too bad, but its also sad to see developers not take chances like these to remedy that situation. But I guess Capcom isn't in much a position to ATM anyways.

I don't think any of us are in a position to comment on how easy or hard it would be to rerender the backgrounds out.

If it was easy, I think they would have done it because it sounds a hell of a lot easier than looking at every background and editing it by hand or recreating certain backgrounds entirely. I wish they rerendered everything out in 4K and the whole game looked like that promotional shot of the opening hallway they have, but unfortunately that isn't what they've done. We can speculate up and down why they did it that way, but at the end of the day it's all speculation. I can understand not wanting it because of thinking it isn't good enough, but we can't really say whether it was an easy job or not. There are way too many variables involved to say for certain. I'm still holding out some crazy hope that they really are just shafting over the last gen users and that current gen/PC will have higher quality 1080 rerendered backgrounds to artifically make them look more next gen, but I recognize it's most likely not happening.

This is a great game that deserves better, but better might not have been reasonably attainable.

dolabla

Has anybody's order on Play-Asia actually shipped out yet? My order just changed from "Preparing order" to"Packing order".

It looks like you can't order the collectors package anymore (at least for right now). Says:

"This is a product with limited availability and our allocations have been presold. If you have preordered this item, your order has usually been confirmed. If you plan to purchase this item, please check back on the item's release date for possible restock."

pottuvoi

Banned
I don't think any of us are in a position to comment on how easy or hard it would be to rerender the backgrounds out.
I'm quite sure that they do not have the original source art for environments.
With source art the process would have been a lot easier and they could have actually improved many things like rendered every light separately into an image and have characters shadow for each one of them.. etc.

Now it's pretty clear this wasn't the case and they did have to work on image files.

I don't know how it looks if you're playing in widescreen mode, but in 4:3 the backgrounds look surprisingly good imo, after having seen some pretty ugly preview screens.

What bothers me more is the really choppy framerate during some cutscenes.

All in all it's pretty good so far though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't understand why everyone is being so dismissive. The modern RE games have put a huge emphasis on co-op, or multiple player experiences.

This is REmake remastered, Co-op isn't an unreasonable question to have, and if they would have implemented it as an option that would have been a supremely cool thing to try.

Sectus

Weird, because the cutscene models already have higher res versions available. I used that in my REmake mod for Dolphin.

At least that means on PC we'll be able to put the higher quality character textures in instead.

I checked what I'm pretty sure are cutscene models in REmater, and they've got the same textures as ingame models. I'm trying to find cutscene models in REmake, but I'm unable to. Do you know where they are? Or have textures of them?

I checked Jill's textures in REmake again, and they did do work on the textures, but they kept the resolution same for whatever reason.

REmake:
pl01_body_bm-remaker4uyw.png

REmaster:
pl01_body_bmrku5k.png

Daigoro

I paid with my credit card and it just worked.

so you have a separate JP account and you were able to add a foreign CC to it that you were able to purchase the game with over LIVE?

just trying to clarify. thinking about possibly buying it for my 360.

Sectus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS36UgVNGdY - I uploaded a first impressions video of REmaster. Doesn't really show much besides the start of the game and various options.

Short summary:
- The game looks good overall. With the exception of specific rooms (like the outdoor area just outside the main hall), they upscale well to 720p. The ones which don't upscale well do look like crap though.
- While I think they did a good job implementing 16:9, 4:3 feels a lot better to use.
- New controls feel identical to DMC4 controls, and they are actually unwieldy at times. Tank controls feels better and looks a lot better in my opinion.
- All the characters sound super manly in Japanese.
- Wesker's Report is in Japanese only, with no subtitles.

so you have a separate JP account and you were able to add a foreign CC to it that you were able to purchase the game with over LIVE?

just trying to clarify. thinking about possibly buying it for my 360.

Yup. As part of the transaction I had to input a Japanese address, and I just input gibberish. Hopefully I won't be hunted by ninja because of it.

klee123

I checked what I'm pretty sure are cutscene models in REmater, and they've got the same textures as ingame models. I'm trying to find cutscene models in REmake, but I'm unable to. Do you know where they are? Or have textures of them?

I checked Jill's textures in REmake again, and they did do work on the textures, but they kept the resolution same for whatever reason.

REmake:

REmaster:
pl01_body_bmrku5k.png

Can you check the files to see if the other costumes from the Gamecube version is present in the HD remaster?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

REmake:

REmaster:
pl01_body_bmrku5k.png

I'm not on my home PC so I can't get you the very original texture files, but I believe I have the edited ones uploaded somewhere.

Actually, now that I'm looking at it, I think it's actually only specific stuff that was higher res. I've got a higher res face texture, and I took the higher res "Stars" patch and emblem from Jills top and hat respectively and used those. I guess there wasn't actually higher res uniform textures. I do remember that there was some version of higher res texture for Barry as well, but it was also probably just the face texture.

If you want the face texture example as well as the higher res Stars patches, this is the zip download that has those texture examples in it

Daigoro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS36UgVNGdY - I uploaded a first impressions video of REmaster. Doesn't really show much besides the start of the game and various options.

Short summary:
- The game looks good overall. With the exception of specific rooms (like the outdoor area just outside the main hall), they upscale well to 720p. The ones which don't upscale well do look like crap though.
- While I think they did a good job implementing 16:9, 4:3 feels a lot better to use.
- New controls feel identical to DMC4 controls, and they are actually unwieldy at times. Tank controls feels better and looks a lot better in my opinion.
- All the characters sound super manly in Japanese.
- Wesker's Report is in Japanese only, with no subtitles.

Yup. As part of the transaction I had to input a Japanese address, and I just input gibberish. Hopefully I won't be hunted by ninja because of it.

huh cool. thanks.

thanks for the impressions vid too. watching now.

this game looks ready for worldwide release, like you say (except for the Wekser Reports). what's the hold up Capcom?

Top Bottom