• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Jamesways

So fought Nito yesterday...
Don't think the fight could have started any worse. Immediately hit twice and made Toxic since I couldn't figure out the timing to avoid the scream/rising sword stab.

Took a while to kill the 3 skeletons because of this, then after getting hit with his AOE attack, backed into and attracted the wrath of 4 or 5 giant skeletons.

Made all this worse by trying to swtich the divine weapon out to pyromancy for the second slot.
Truly a comedy at this point, getting the living crap kicked out of me trying to create space. No time to find and munch blooming moss, wasn't prepared to have it on my quick slot.

But did my best to have him hit and take down a few of the big guys for me. Managed to beat him and the remaining 1 or 2 big guys dropped.

And I had one estus left, out of 18 when I started.

Basically, was my favorite boss fight yet, and I'm bummed I have to wait until NG+ to fight him again.
:p

Jamesways

Nito is the easiest boss he's got huge blind spots so you can do it without taking any damage.

Oh I know, get behind him and just wail away.

It wasn't him that was draining my health so much, but from being Toxic and the large skeletons all around. Sure made an easy fight tense.

I wish I could have recorded it, was pretty funny. What NOT to do during that fight.

Overdoziz

Banned
It can be very frustrating until you find out that divine weapons permanently kill his skeleton buddies. Then it's just a matter of not aggroing the big guys and you're set.

Mistel

Banned
It can be very frustrating until you find out that divine weapons permanently kill his skeleton buddies. Then it's just a matter of not aggroing the big guys and you're set.
He is a necromancer? I didn't know that I thought it was like the rest of the skeleton's in giants that you didn't need divine.

Theoris

Neo Member
New Dark Souls player here, bit of a platform conundrum. I have this on both pc and 360 through various sales but cannot decide which to stick to.

Essentially:

PC - high spec 60fps glory BUT possible game save loss when GFWL shuts down (this is a big deal).

360 - Not my home platform, not as smooth but no risk of save data loss.

Essentially if the developers don't have a non-gfwl contingency, I don't want to rue my choice of platform but by the same token, I want smoothness and perfection.. Help me GAF!

Mistel

Banned
PC - high spec 60fps glory BUT possible game save loss when GFWL shuts down (this is a big deal).

Well you could start now on the 360 the only real issue is blighttown frame rate wise. Or you could wait till after GFWL is gone and start then? I've only got it on the 360 though so those who have it on PC might be more help.

onionfrog

Beat the four kings. It was pretty easy, but I could see how it could be hard if you don't kill each of them fast enough. I'll need to make a run back to new Londo to get the very large ember.

------
Whoever though invisible platforms in the Crystal Caves was a good idea can go fuck themselves!

....and I tried to strafe around a crystal golem with what looked like enough space only to slide off the side of the crystal floor like it was coated with vasoline and plummet to my death.

I think that's enough for tonight! :/

Havel

This game will always be my baby. 1000 hours and counting.

I doubt I will enjoy Dark Souls 2 as much as the first.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Beat the four kings. It was pretty easy, but I could see how it could be hard if you don't kill each of them fast enough. I'll need to make a run back to new Londo to get the very large ember.

------
Whoever though invisible platforms in the Crystal Caves was a good idea can go fuck themselves!

....and I tried to strafe around a crystal golem with what looked like enough space only to slide off the side of the crystal floor like it was coated with vasoline and plummet to my death.

Everything about the Crystal Caves is the worst in the game. Legitimately poorly designed.

Jamesways

Holy shit at fighting Artorias. This DLC is no joke. Seriously took me about 15-20 tries.

Tried long weapons, tried tanking with heavy armor and a shield (even with Iron Flesh), tried light weight finess style, just tough all around. I'm playing a dex build, so no greatshields or heavy weapons.

In the end, beat him with a lot of dodging and some blocking and trading blows. Think I got lucky, we were both at very little health the last exchange.

Hardest battle in the game by far, and I hear the other bosses in the DLC are even tougher.

------

You gotta love searching for the magic titanite slab there then.

I doubt I will enjoy Dark Souls 2 as much as the first.

It have its issues but still have some fun areas.

kionedrik

New Dark Souls player here, bit of a platform conundrum. I have this on both pc and 360 through various sales but cannot decide which to stick to.

Essentially:

Essentially if the developers don't have a non-gfwl contingency, I don't want to rue my choice of platform but by the same token, I want smoothness and perfection.. Help me GAF!

If DSFix never existed the answer would easily be to play the 360 version. Thankfully it exists so there's no other possible answer than the PC version. Slap a couple o texture mods in there and you'll see just how beautiful everything is (not that the graphics are what makes this game great but it helps).

Honestly, I think the removal of GFWL from this game is still far away, but it's only a personal feeling with no backing. The worst thing that can happen is that you lose your character and have to start over, but that's one of the things that is fun about the game: do it again, better and faster.

Everything about the Crystal Caves is the worst in the game. Legitimately poorly designed.

Lost Izalith is poorly designed, the Crystal Caves are not. They can be annoying
but that ends once you realize all you need to do is run in a straight line.

Forget that slab, even if you get to it you'll just bone back... Grab the one in the Royal Woods.

onionfrog

The Demon Ruins are also lazy as fuck.... But I haven't gotten there yet. I remember being unimpressed when playing through them on my old console. Dat third asylum demon rehash!
Good thing I'm not playing a magic build then lol. I did start one on another file tho. But he's only up to the beginning of Anor Londo.

Tactics18

So after I finished DS2 I had to play this as I've never finished it.
As of right now I am clearing Darkroot and some other stuff before I'm going to Blight town.

What sword would you recommend using?
I got through DS2 with the Claymore, and I loved it, but I want something different for this playthrough.
I wanted to use the Black Knight Sword but I didn't get the drop from any of them (I killed those in The Undead Burg/Parish, Darkroot and the Undead Asylum).

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What I wonder though, why is there a need humanity option for the soap sign if there is no way to give them any.
To communicate the message that humanity is needed in some way. For example, I've seen that message left in front of The Fair Lady as well as the passage that opens up a shortcut to Lost Izalith.

What sword would you recommend using?
I got through DS2 with the Claymore, and I loved it, but I want something different for this playthrough.
I wanted to use the Black Knight Sword but I didn't get the drop from any of them (I killed those in The Undead Burg/Parish, Darkroot and the Undead Asylum).
As always it depends on your stats and the type of weapon you like - fast n slashy or big n smashy. :)

When going for the black knight weapons early, it's not a given, but I always wait to kill the BKs until I have 10 active humanity - giving you the maximum item discovery without the gold serpent ring.

There is another BK (with the axe) you can kill early game - at the bottom of the Catacombs, it's pretty quick to get down there with a couple of shortcut drops. The BK great axe is pretty nice.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the archive tower sequence is jaw dropping. The lizards set up their lizard phonograph and an ethereal tone floods the space. So cool fighting through and opening up all the prison cells.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No way i was lovin it. Had my big ole headphones on. I was jammin to it.

mothball

Is the PC version the most populated? I finished Demon's Souls a few days ago and started on Dark Souls PC (kind of for the second time; I played up to slim and fat on the 360, offline) and there seem to be way less messages, bloodstains and phantoms than there were in DeS.

Deitus

Is the PC version the most populated? I finished Demon's Souls a few days ago and started on Dark Souls PC (kind of for the second time; I played up to slim and fat on the 360, offline) and there seem to be way less messages, bloodstains and phantoms than there were in DeS.

Well I think PS3 has the largest community, though I couldn't say which is more active at this very moment, especially when a huge portion of the fanbase is busy with DS2.

But you aren't going to see as many bloodstains or messages as Demons Souls, because Dark Souls uses P2P multiplayer, rather than dedicated servers like Demons Souls. Luckily DS2 is back to servers, and bloodstains are EVERYWHERE.

sikkinixx

So I picked this up again after about 6 weeks or so of not playing it (I find if you aren't in the mood for tense shit, this game is not fun to play) and am working my way through the Duke's Archives (I just got outside it, but I got a key that I'm imagining opens a door a ways back so... backtracking I guess?)

Anyway, build etc wise I'm wondering about things. I basically set on a faith path right away, pounded out some levels to get my faith to 20+, skipped past the bridge dragon and got lightning spear miracle and proceeded to plow through everything until O&S. I was using a +5 Divine Claymore for most of the game, though I have a +2 Occult Uchi-whatever and for Duke's I've been using the +4 Lightning Halberd. I had to do a bunch of co-op to get the sunlight medals so I had enough souls after that to add about 13 levels so I'm Level 82 now. The ninja roll from the wood ring is outstanding and gets me through a ton of shit so I've had to piece armour combo's that keep me under the 25% weight.

So... am I under-powered, over-powered, off base? Every build I see on let's plays etc are always massive tanks, or sorcerers (or naked for speed runs but I ain't that good) so I dunno if I'll eventually hit a dead end. It's JUST getting to the point where spamming Lightning Spear isn't the end-all-be-all solution to every encounter.

13627140384_3e2edb94dd_c.jpg

So I picked this up again after about 6 weeks or so of not playing it (I find if you aren't in the mood for tense shit, this game is not fun to play) and am working my way through the Duke's Archives (I just got outside it, but I got a key that I'm imagining opens a door a ways back so... backtracking I guess?)

Anyway, build etc wise I'm wondering about things. I basically set on a faith path right away, pounded out some levels to get my faith to 20+, skipped past the bridge dragon and got lightning spear miracle and proceeded to plow through everything until O&S. I was using a +5 Divine Claymore for most of the game, though I have a +2 Occult Uchi-whatever and for Duke's I've been using the +4 Lightning Halberd. I had to do a bunch of co-op to get the sunlight medals so I had enough souls after that to add about 13 levels so I'm Level 82 now. The ninja roll from the wood ring is outstanding and gets me through a ton of shit so I've had to piece armour combo's that keep me under the 25% weight.

So... am I under-powered, over-powered, off base? Every build I see on let's plays etc are always massive tanks, or sorcerers (or naked for speed runs but I ain't that good) so I dunno if I'll eventually hit a dead end. It's JUST getting to the point where spamming Lightning Spear isn't the end-all-be-all solution to every encounter.

13627140384_3e2edb94dd_c.jpg

The lightning is pretty handy against kalameet, I think its the easiest way to beat him.

Faith builds are nice, but the spells seem to be more geared toward online play. Lightning seems pretty powerful but Crystal Soul Spear blows it out of the water.

NinjaBoiX

Manus Boss fight.

Jesus.
I liked the Manus fight, I thought it was really good. Just keep your distance and jump in with R2's.

Fuck Gwyn though, I'm not sure I can be bothered to keep trying. His attacks are just relentless and too random, and the walk back to the fight from the bonfire after every crushing defeat is just killing me.

I failed at the final hurdle with Demon's Souls too.

:(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gwyn dies in about 3-4 ripostes with a decent weapon and hornet ring. Great combustion also fucks him up. He's not super-easy (in that if you mess up he'll probably kill you) but he's nowhere near as hard as Kalameet or Manus.

Mistel

Banned
Fuck Gwyn though, I'm not sure I can be bothered to keep trying. His attacks are just relentless and too random, and the walk back to the fight from the bonfire after every crushing defeat is just killing me.

Solaire? you could just simply talk to him at all of the points and have him help you.
And he probably wouldn't think Alexandra Madar is ugly either.

NinjaBoiX

Gwyn dies in about 3-4 ripostes with a decent weapon and hornet ring. Great combustion also fucks him up. He's not super-easy (in that if you mess up he'll probably kill you) but he's nowhere near as hard as Kalameet or Manus.
I really didn't have that much trouble with Manus. You literally just keep away from him, then jump in when you get the chance. It takes patience, but I honestly found him to be one of the easier bosses, there are very few attacks that can really fuck you up. I never understood the big fear with that guy, he's a pussy.

Gwyn just gets right up in your grill, swings his sword wildly, kicks your entire stamina bar off with one hit, or plucks you out of thin air with his cheap, cheesy grab. And yes, I'm taking off over 25% of his health with each riposte, but a failed parry basically means death for my little ninja. It seems the fight was built around parrying, but I just suck at it. I much prefer to dance around an enemy and throw in a few choice attacks.

Never fought Kalameet.
Solaire? you could just simply talk to him at all of the points and have him help you.
And he probably wouldn't think Alexandra Madar is ugly either.
Oh man, I watched a video and it looks like a massive chore.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Artorias is the best boss fight in the game. So much fun.

I am on Manus right now, got him down pretty far on the first few tries, he seems pretty fun too.

Still need to fight the Dragon, but don't even know how that works. He just flies over and fries me. Probably in the wrong area or something.

Levyne

Banned
Artorias is the best boss fight in the game. So much fun.

I am on Manus right now, got him down pretty far on the first few tries, he seems pretty fun too.

Still need to fight the Dragon, but don't even know how that works. He just flies over and fries me. Probably in the wrong area or something.

I think the dragon is the best fight but Artorias is definitely in the top three.

Yeah, you have to do a little quest to make the dragon approachable.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, Artorias is a great fight, probably my favourite in the game.

I felt like I could "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" my way through all of the bosses with enough patience.

But Gwyn is just like "parry me or die".

Mistel

Banned
Oh man, I watched a video and it looks like a massive chore.
It's not really that difficult at all to do you can literally warp right near him in multiple locations and assuming you've already got a sunlight maggot he's saved already.

Have you visited Gough? He is of assistance to you.

soontroll

Banned
I'm doing an SL1 run and just got to Anor Londo. My +10 reinforced club is still hitting absolutely nothing unless I stick to parries or backstabs. Is there any way to get it lightning reinforced quickly? I have no idea where to farm titanite chunks.

Also, is the battleaxe better for SL1? I have it at +6 but don't know if it's worth getting it fire reinforced.

Sullichin

I'm doing an SL1 run and just got to Anor Londo. My +10 reinforced club is still hitting absolutely nothing unless I stick to parries or backstabs. Is there any way to get it lightning reinforced quickly? I have no idea where to farm titanite chunks.

Also, is the battleaxe better for SL1? I have it at +6 but don't know if it's worth getting it fire reinforced.

Might as well make your reinforced club lightning and battle axe chaos. Chaos does more damage than fire, but requires you to have 10 humanity for max damage. If you don't want to do that then go with the fire path.

You can reinforce it to lightning at the AL blacksmith, so you're almost there. The big sentinels in the room before O&S have a small chance to drop chunks, but you're better off farming the darkwraiths in new londo.

Nerokis

Yeah, Artorias is a great fight, probably my favourite in the game.

I felt like I could "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" my way through all of the bosses with enough patience.

But Gwyn is just like "parry me or die".

Gwyn was a bit of a pain the first time around, because I had no idea you could parry him. Ironically, that "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" approach is precisely what I used to take him down. Dodge as much as possible, watch stamina, hug the stone columns or whatever spread throughout the arena whenever I need distance, etc., and watch for good opportunities to slash away.

sikkinixx

The lightning is pretty handy against kalameet, I think its the easiest way to beat him.

Faith builds are nice, but the spells seem to be more geared toward online play. Lightning seems pretty powerful but Crystal Soul Spear blows it out of the water.

Yeah the miracles I just got for the princess covenant are all online focused. But the lightning spears and heal, especially early on, were amazingly useful. And divine stuff wrecks skeletons which was handy.

Top Bottom