• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elders Scrolls : Speculation Thread

Well its been a long times since TES IV, and like many of you im getting pretty anxious for a new entry into the series. Rest assured Bethesda is well into development on the new game so I just want to know what everyone is expecting them to do (it will prob be something not expected).

There have been the MMO rumors circulating for a long time ever since Zenimax purchased the domain rights to elderscrollsonline.com. Zenimax also received quite a large investment to fund MMO development.

What is going to happen with the greatest series in gaming? I'm a HUGE Morrowind fan and did not care much for Oblivion so I am hoping that they get more in touch with the more hardcore gameplay. Do you think they will make the next TES even more casual friendly then Oblivion was? I sure hope not.

EDIT - I did typo the thread title, i have been drinking so fuck it.

goldenpp72

BakedPigeon said:
Well its been a long times since TES IV, and like many of you im getting pretty anxious for a new entry into the series. Rest assured Bethesda is well into development on the new game so I just want to know what everyone is expecting them to do (it will prob be something not expected).

There have been the MMO rumors circulating for a long time ever since Zenimax purchased the domain rights to elderscrollsonline.com. Zenimax also received quite a large investment to fund MMO development.

What is going to happen with the greatest series in gaming? I'm a HUGE Morrowind fan and did not care much for Oblivion so I am hoping that they get more in touch with the more hardcore gameplay. Do you think they will make the next TES even more casual friendly then Oblivion was? I sure hope not.

EDIT - I did typo the thread title, i have been drinking so fuck it.

Elders scrolls is a console series now like it or not. Too many millions to not cater to that crowd.

Chris R

goldenpp72 said:
Elders scrolls is a console series now like it or not. Too many millions to not cater to that crowd.
And it makes me sad. Oblivion was such a let down a just plain bad game compared to morrowind but they had to dumb the game down to make it work better on consoles :/

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I remember looking at screen shots of 4 and thinking there was no fucking way it was real.

Oblivion and Morrowind to a lesser degree have made the Elder Scrolls known to the mainstream so I would expect Bethesda to walk a pretty fine line catering to both the hardcore and mainstream. I don't think you need to worry about the series being dumbed down anymore than it already has. Any direction they choose go to improve the major "issues" Oblivion suffered from will probably go over well with both crowds. Here are my key areas I think they should be focusing on:

-Character Models - pretty brutal, not much improvement in FO3
-Dialogue System - seems primitive compared to Mass Effect & Alpha Protocol
-Leveling & Stats - brutal in both Oblivion and FO3
-Inventory Setup - could use some work
-Combat - could use some more complexity
-Morality System - could use some gray area and repercussions, FO3 improved on this
-Landscape Variety - cut & paste dungeons have to go, every one needs some personality
-Main Story - Oblivion and FO3 started promising and fizzled out quick

I don't think they will go MMO with TES5, they still have a lot to prove in making a standard WRPG. They still have a cash-cow on their hands with the console versions, which wouldn't be true with a console MMO, since none have proven viable yet this gen. Bethesda if I remember right was one of the first devs to use this gens dev tools for 360 and PS3, and I think this far into the current console cycle if they take their time and everything comes together right they are capable of making a real classic with TES5.

DR2K

Banned
I wouldn't mind a Mass Effect-like futuristic setting, they've done all they can with the current setting.

Unicorn

My mouth dropped when i first saw the first screens of Oblivion.

My hopes are that the next ES game takes place in Black Marsh. I think they could also do a lot to improve upon the magic system. Perhaps introduce environmental interaction like dried grass catches fire and spreads to impact more enemies, extinguishing it with rain, lightning could be chained during thunderstorms, puddles could electrocute enemies a la Bioshock, ice can increase in radius and damage thanks to rain. things like that to make the experience more immersing.

Combat needs to be upgraded as well; I'm sure they're shooting for another "Teen" rating, so dismemberment is out, but i think there's some room for improvement. perhaps take a few hints from the most recent Might and Magic game, Dark Messiah.

EDIT:
also. Either ditch 3rd person or fucking put some effort into animation, Bethesda. Jeez Louise

hamchan said:
Level scaling GRRRRR :(

Ya that is something I think most people have complained about.... if they include the level scaling problems they did with Oblivion then I have lost all hope with the series.

GavinGT

Banned
I too hope they do more to appease Morrowind fans. Here's my laundry list of complaints I think they should address -
  1. I want levitating back.
  2. They should ditch the scaling loot/dungeons.
  3. Towns should be accessible without going through gates.
  4. They should space things out less so there's more incentive to explore.
  5. Physics implementation in Oblivion was silly. I want to accurately place objects and not knock objects around when I brush against them
  6. Forget about voice acting for every single character. I want long lists of dialogue options.
  7. Morrowind's setting and architecture was so much more appealing than Oblivion's. The whole medieval thing is played out.

rhfb said:
And it makes me sad. Oblivion was such a let down a just plain bad game compared to morrowind but they had to dumb the game down to make it work better on consoles :/

I don't understand this opinion. Morrowind played amazingly on my Xbox, except for the load times. If you mean they had to dumb it down for the console audience, I think both audiences are now pretty much hardcore.

Unicorn

GavinGT said:
I too hope they do more to appease Morrowind fans. Here's my laundry list of complaints I think they should address -
  5. Physics implementation in Oblivion was silly. I want to accurately place objects and not knock objects around when I brush against them
  6. Forget about voice acting for every single character. I want long lists of dialogue options.
  7. Morrowind's setting and architecture was so much more appealing than Oblivion's. The whole medieval thing is played out.

Has Bethesda contacted you with a game design position yet? If not... what the fuck?

Chris R

I was more talking about the shitty menu/ui/inventory the game shipped with as well as the fact that the game was missing several things morrowind had done right (spells and the overworld ect) to make the game a console game first and a pc port ( with horrible ass textures and modles ( thank godness for modders!!!)) second.

I pretty much agree with all of gavingt's points especially the one about having to enter a gate for the towns...... so fucking annoying. The main reason Oblivion did not appeal to me was the setting. I dont give a flying fuck about these huge epic forest fictional settings, give me something weird and unique like Morrowind's setting.

Im hoping Fallout 3 is a hint of things to come.

Unicorn said:
Has Bethesda contacted you with a game design position yet? If not... what the fuck?

His criticisms were mostly fair, but I disagreed big-time with a couple.

Voice acting for every character was a lofty goal, and Bethesda obviously didn't totally nail it out of the park, but I think they did an admirable job. Despite the limitations it places on our dialog options as players, to me it makes the environment so much more engaging to hear every character actually speak. Improve the dialog, shake things up a bit with a tad more variety, but it's important that voices remain intact for every living being.

Also, regarding the setting: I don't think the more-traditional fantasy/Medieval setting of Cyrodiil is any more played out than heavily stylized high-fantasy look that we saw in Morrowind (and later in Shivering Isles). Honestly, I'm more impressed by a successful recreation of the traditional style with today's tech than I am by settings that almost seem unconventional for the sake of being unconventional.

Morrowind perhaps did a better job of fully realizing its environment, which is exactly why I want TESV to stick to TESIV's more 'realistic' (I know, I know) style and flesh it out a bit more. Cyrodiil was beautiful and engaging but has a lot of room for more depth, and I hope TESV can deliver that regardless of the region it takes place in.

rhfb said:
oh really..give me a break

If we could get a game with the gameplay options of Daggerfall, the size of Morrowind and the graphics of Oblivion, with character models that don't suck, I'd be quite happy. Climbing/levitation and more weapon types seriously need to be there. Elder Scrolls is all about options.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Make the damn world smaller but make the content in that world actually worth doing.

Having 80 bazillion identikit dungeons is completely fucking worthless. I'd rather have 20 really big well designed dungeons that all are unique then the crap Bethesda usually does.

I know they won't, they firmly believe in quantity over quality.

Eccocid

make it a MMO! or at least fix the combat and make it something like in Demon's Souls...

Also pls BETHESDA HIRE BETTER CHARACTER ARTISTS!

MMaRsu

Banned
No MMO is a thing that´s guaranteed I think. Anyway, I´d say I´d love to have dynamic weather, better AI, bigger world but more spaced out.

Let the guy who wrote the Brotherhood questline write the entire game :p.

Morrowind was my favourite xbox game so the depth it had can be pulled off whilst still dealing with the limitations of a pad to a keyoard/mouse set up.

I enjoyed Oblivion too. Not on the scale of MW but enough to class it as a great rpg. There was a lot of areas it could be improved from the wooden voice acting and characters to the lack of interesting places to explore and hand placed loot. Hated the fact I would storm an ancient crypt, send all the undead back to hell and in the last chest there would be 3 gold, a fork and a dagger that did naff all.

That said I am really excited for the next game but it really had better not be a mmo.

Duki

Banned
Seeing as it's a Bethesda game, I speculate that it's going to feature crappy animation, barely serviceable writing, mediocre voice acting, unfulfilling quest lines and the same three dungeons on repeat through the entire game.

And I'll still play it for too damn many hours of my life.

M.Bluth

GavinGT said:
This.
Eccocid said:
Also pls BETHESDA HIRE BETTER CHARACTER ARTISTS!
And this.

GavinGT

Banned
Toy Soldier said:
Voice acting for every character was a lofty goal, and Bethesda obviously didn't totally nail it out of the park, but I think they did an admirable job. Despite the limitations it places on our dialog options as players, to me it makes the environment so much more engaging to hear every character actually speak. Improve the dialog, shake things up a bit with a tad more variety, but it's important that voices remain intact for every living being.

That they would remove spoken dialogue is unlikely; still, I feel the gameplay suffered a bit as a result. Remember, Morrowind had spoken dialogue for basic greetings and such. You still heard the NPCs' voices.

Toy Soldier said:
Honestly, I'm more impressed by a successful recreation of the traditional style with today's tech than I am by settings that almost seem unconventional for the sake of being unconventional.

I don't see what's wrong with originality. I enjoyed Morrowind's otherworldly vibe.

Toy Soldier said:
Morrowind perhaps did a better job of fully realizing its environment, which is exactly why I want TESV to stick to TESIV's more 'realistic' (I know, I know) style and flesh it out a bit more. Cyrodiil was beautiful and engaging but has a lot of room for more depth, and I hope TESV can deliver that regardless of the region it takes place in.

I'd expect a change of scenery. Judging from my recent Daggerfall experience, there's plenty of area to explore. :lol

Sinatar said:
Make the damn world smaller but make the content in that world actually worth doing.

Having 80 bazillion identikit dungeons is completely fucking worthless. I'd rather have 20 really big well designed dungeons that all are unique then the crap Bethesda usually does.

I know they won't, they firmly believe in quantity over quality.

This. A smaller world, were they can give personality and character to each and every person. Make then sound different and actually make it a place that doesn't feel like it has been copy/pasted ten times, so it could be a selling point on the back of the box.

Minsc

Gold Member
Whatever they do with TESV, the graphics are going to take a huge hit compared to the normal evolution seen in a elder scrolls sequel, not too fond about that. We'll have to wait for TES VI now to see something as amazing as Oblivion was for it's time.

On the plus side, the mod makers will be very familar with the tools and anything that's screwed up like leveling enemies will be perfectly fixed in under a month.

Everdred

I'm really hoping for an MMO actuallly. A REAL real-time action MMO. Please make it happen. None of this clicking on enemies and spamming macro/numbers bullshit. I want real physical (virtually physical!) contact.

The next ES game will have a single Guild of Adventurers, once voice actor, 3 weapon classes and will take place entirely in an insanely detailed castle, though the compass will be there to help people who wander into the rather large pantry and can't find the way out.

K.Sabot

#1 thing Bethesda needs to do for the next The Elder Scrolls is to pick up some better animators. This is an urgent imperative.

Eccocid

strange_booj said:
I'm really hoping for an MMO actuallly. A REAL real-time action MMO. Please make it happen. None of this clicking on enemies and spamming macro/numbers bullshit. I want real physical (virtually physical!) contact.

yeah with the combat of Demon's Souls! :(

EmSeta

I loved both Morrowind and Oblivion, but they both had their drawbacks.

Can't wait for the next one though. Please don't make it an MMO :( We have enough of those already.

Seriously, I would be happy if they just re-released Morrowind in the Oblivion engine, with Oblivion-style combat. Maybe add a new expansion pack. I would buy that so fast.

An MMO would be an awful, awful idea, so I'm sure it will probably happen.

First of all,Bethesda has to learn how to do proper animations,that's the first thing that made me sell Fallout 3 and Oblivion(the bugs were another reason behind it).

Zhuk

Banned
Interesting that Morrowind is now considered the 'hardcore' Elder Scrolls release, Daggerfall is where it was at :)

Dra-Q

Banned
First of all, for god's sake use ID Tech 5 for the next Elders Scroll. Oh and use more than 3 voice actors for the NPCs this time.

Ah... Elder Scrolls. A series I've always heavily anticipated since playing that Daggerfall demo some odd year in the 90s from PCGamer.

Daggerfall is still my favorite Elder Scrolls title, I wasn't a huge fan of Morrowind. The setting bothered me, the size of the game bothered me, and in general I was not pleased with the overall feel or aura of the title. Don't mistake me, I love Elder Scrolls and I played it for at least a hundred hours of not more, I just didn't come away with the heartfelt love I have for Daggerfall.

Oblivion pleased me as somehow someway, I knew aspects of it were returning to Daggerfall. Much of the architecture for building design, particularly on the exterior, bares similarities to Daggerfall's design. Often when it rains in a town like Leyawin, if I stop the camera and cease movement, it almost appears as though I'm playing Daggerfall for a moment's time. Further similarities included fast travel, return of the Dark Brotherhood, and more.

As for what Elder Scrolls V holds; all I can truly say is that I do not want an MMO. If Bethesda decides to do an MMO separate from my treasured Elder Scrolls V, I'm fine with that, but the traditional series must continue I would think.

Elder Scrolls doesn't seem the type to be suited for MMO gameplay, but I think the vast amount of "culture" available would make for good content. I'm certain they would explore further provinces via "expansions". This is not something I particularly desire, though.

To summarize, I want a new Elder Scrolls game to attack in the night and rob hundreds of hours from me.

For those who are wanting a more 'oblivionesque' experience graphics-wise for morrowind and have the pc version I reccomend doing a google search for morrowind graphics extender. It removes the fog, adds much more cohesion to the world (actually making it seem like an island rather than a bunch of places connected together by loading screens) and is overall a big graphics upgrade. For example, you can see far off into the distance and get some wonderful views from it. Also check out the better bodies and better heads mods, to make the characters look much more realistic. There is also some less generic NPC speech mods which add a bit more dialogue (though can sometimes fuck up certain quests) and a bit of variation to each character.

For me, with these mods added, and the superior art design for morrowind, it makes the experience much closer to oblivion graphics-wise but with all the best bits of morrowind. So basically better than oblivion.

Grug

I get shivers down my spine thinking about Morrowind. There was just something real about that game.

I have strong memories of walking through Balmora the first time at nightfall with a guard whispering "wealth beyond measure Outlander" and just being utterly amazed by this "world".

Oblivion was beautiful, but was utterly unable to replicate that feeling of exploring a strange world that I got in Morrowind.

SpokkX

1. No level scaling. Really this can´t be stressed enough
2. Evolve the combat from Fallout 3, including the ability to paus the combat
3. Longer main quest with better story (sidequests were better imo)

Except for this I thought Oblivion was pretty much perfect

Rolf NB

Why spend money on product quality when the marketing department can already make reviewers like anything, believe anything, write anything.

chase

I hope they get rid of their "leveling". It's the most absurd system in gaming. Just make it so that using a skill ups its effectiveness. No dancing around before your next fight for +5 bonuses.

Top Bottom