• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Night |OT| Alone in the Dark

UwqF7OD.png

ZdANc50.png

・Fixed camera horror adventure inspired by Alone in the Dark and other classic survival horror games.​
・A noir story set in the 1930s.​
・Solve the mysteries of the mansion by using light from matchsticks you find.​

TU3JBPy.png

vT7oOlP.png

ZtaeMCg.png

Movie Pilot
8.5/10

More will be added as reviews go up.

etdM3WG.png

eFKac

ohh fixed camera? I really like that, it can be fantastic when done well.

I'm afraid that the artstyle, while great and original, can be very eye-straining after a while.. Any word on a demo?
I guess I could watch some streams if there isn't, that's spolier risky though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does it play like classic RE/Alone in the Dark games? Like you have to pick up stuff and use them?

ekgrey

Really excited about this. Glad to see it hasn't been delayed. Was worried when I realized how close to release we were without it being available for pre-order on Steam.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Interesting that it's not up for preload on PS4. PS Plus title perhaps? The game looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait to play it, so I'm there day 1 PS Plus or not.

psychotron

Really excited for this. If this gen has been anything, it's been the one that got me into buying cheaper downloadable games. The AAA games are falling much flatter for me.

nel e nel

Between this and Zombie Army Trilogy getting almost zero coverage in the press, it makes me wonder what is going on with these games writers.

nynt9

Between this and Zombie Army Trilogy getting almost zero coverage in the press, it makes me wonder what is going on with these games writers.

Why cover games when they're not backed by a multimillion dollar budget amirite? It's not like it's the job of the game journos to bring information about games to the audience.

Never heard of it before, but it looks interesting. My backlog is too big to be able to justify purchasing it, so it'd be especially nice if it turns out to be one of this month's PS+ games.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so excited about this one. I pretty much waited for this one to release to get a PSN card to get it with Helldivers, Hotline Miami 2 and Life is Strange.

The download space of games is soooo good this month.

Amir0x

Banned
Definitely looking forward to hearing impressions from trusted GAFers, I'm on the fence about this but it looks rad.

nel e nel

Why cover games when they're not backed by a multimillion dollar budget amirite? It's not like it's the job of the game journos to bring information about games to the audience.

Right, and this isn't even an "ethics" issue, it's a "not doing your job" issue. I mean, I saw an article about the new Magicka 2 game, which is arguably a middle tier game, but nary a pip about this game. And I feel any kind of "but we weren't given any press release info" is a bogus excuse, especially in light of how much the press complains about how broken the PR system is. It comes across as if they aren't making an effort.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think you can entirely blame writers for this. This game is published by frigging Activision, who seem to have been doing a really shitty job getting their Sierra games out there. Shiftlings releases tomorrow too, similar situation, another Sierra title.

Honestly wonder why any of these devs are even signing up with Sierra/Activision.

And c'mon, I think it's clear why Zombie Army Trilogy is getting little coverage. The games just aren't very good.

carlsojo

Might just go ahead and pick this up later today! Just when I clear one game out of my backlog (Virtue's Last Reward) I add another one! Huzzah.

Very nice OT.

Pretty damn hyped for this after watching the first thirsty minutes on YT.

Incredible sense of atmosphere and it's tense as hell too, voice acting was on point as well.

WITHE1982

I wish they'd stop releasing these amazing looking indie games. It's completely ruining my gaming budget.

The monochrome film noir art style is just fantastic. Reminds me a lot of The Unfinished Swan. The comparisons to early Alone in the Dark games is also very encouraging.

nel e nel

I don't think you can entirely blame writers for this. This game is published by frigging Activision, who seem to have been doing a really shitty job getting their Sierra games out there. Shiftlings releases tomorrow too, similar situation, another Sierra title.

Honestly wonder why any of these devs are even signing up with Sierra/Activision.

And c'mon, I think it's clear why Zombie Army Trilogy is getting little coverage. The games just aren't very good.

Your logic is flawed when you see things like 5 Nights At Freddy's 3 getting front page coverage, and folks like Danielle Riendeau doing feature pieces on no-name indie games for the past year.

I mean, if GAF is able to find these games just by going through youtube or blogs or whatever, how come the press can't with their - presumably - greater resources?

As for ZAT not being good, I can't say because I haven't played it, but it's developed by Rebellion, who aren't some small indie dev, and it's a repackaging of a PC game that came out 2 years ago. I'm not saying they should be fawning over it, but if we're getting reviews of early access games like H1Z1 that are getting scores of 5 or 6, then we should at the very least have heard of these games a little more than a week before release.

Corpekata

Banned
Your logic is flawed when you see things like 5 Nights At Freddy's 3 getting front page coverage, and folks like Danielle Riendeau doing feature pieces on no-name indie games for the past year.

I mean, if GAF is able to find these games just by going through youtube or blogs or whatever, how come the press can't with their - presumably - greater resources?

As for ZAT not being good, I can't say because I haven't played it, but it's developed by Rebellion, who aren't some small indie dev, and it's a repackaging of a PC game that came out 2 years ago. I'm not saying they should be fawning over it, but if we're getting reviews of early access games like H1Z1 that are getting scores of 5 or 6, then we should at the very least have heard of these games a little more than a week before release.

Uh, no it's not. My logic is flawed because like, other indie games are getting covered? How on earth does that make a lick of sense? Not every indie game is going to get mass coverage, as sad as that is. And when you have Activision behind you, and on the same day they are releasing a 2nd game that's getting no coverage, I'm going to put a little bit of the onus on Activision, especially since exposure is pretty much the only reason these devs signed up with them.

Edit: Game is out now on Steam.

Shauni

Recently found out about this, definitely picking it up on the Bone this Friday. This and Revelations 2 are going to make a great week.

Top Bottom