• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament just got its first high-res textured map

dmr87

Still in pre-alpha but if you want to check it out you just need to make yourself an account and download the client.

https://accounts.unrealtournament.com/login/index

Quick walkthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tNU2jgTZU

Hello from San Francisco! We’re at GDC representing all your hard work with today’s release. This update includes a revamped launcher, a new customized Unreal Editor for UT, and the new Unreal Tournament marketplace. New content includes the Malcolm and Necris characters, as well as Outpost 23, a fun and beautiful map that’s designed to show where UT can go, and give you content to use in your own maps.

Eqpb.png

Fqpb.png

http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/unreal-tournament-at-gdc/

Some quick pics of my own

9qpb.png

Aqpb.png

Bqpb.png

Cqpb.png

Newboi

Man, I haven't played the pre-alpha in several months. I'm crazy hyped about the direction its going graphically!

I need to download UE4 tonight and download the UT pre-alpha and check it out.

nowarning

Awesome, I've only played a little of the pre-alpha so will have to check this out. If that dude is meant to be the same Malcolm character then wtf is all I have to say.

Looks good. I'm hoping this will end up as fun as it was back in the day, but I tend to be very skeptic about these sort of open "projects" that never come to completion.

RK9039

There's another textured map as well which you have to download from the marketplace, it's free. It's called Lea Observatory.

ibimZV3wfd3TF2.png

soultron

Banned
Oh god, chromatic aberration. ��

Are you just saying this for no reason?

I'm having a hard time seeing it because, if it's there, it's probably not overdone.

The spaces remind me a lot of HALO games. It's been a long time since I've played a UT game though, so HALO is probably the freshest arena-based thing in my mind.

Is this going to be DX12?

This is what I'm interested about too. Since the game already seems to run insanely well on DX11, I can't even imagine the gains that would come from the step up in the API.
UE3 games have been seen running on DX9-11 so it's only a matter of time that DX12 is implemented into UE4 (if it hasn't already been in some form). Who knows about UT4...

nowarning

Nothing is final, will probably have tons of skins to choose from.

Yeah I know nothings final yet and there should be plenty of skins and models like the past games, but the image is called malcolmFlak and I saw some concept art a while back so wondered if that what they had decided on for Malcolm haha

Stitch

Gold Member
Are you just saying this for no reason?

I'm saying it because it looks shitty and feels like being cross-eyed.
Give me clean graphics and not this wannabe-cinematic bullshit where Devs apply every post-processing effect they can find.

Arkam

mmmm those do look nice. and with UE4 going free to DL yesterday... well played epic you got me excited.

soultron

Banned

How does this look shitty? It's not overdone like some of the first games to implement CA.

Also, I'm sure you can disable it if it really bothers you that much.

Give me clean graphics and not this wannabe-cinematic bullshit where Devs apply every post-processing effect they can find.

This is the reason I couldn't do UT3. The way the textures came out with that super detailed, wet look on everything...I couldn't focus my eyes on the bots at all.

nowarning

Doesn't scream UT to me. Then again, all I think about is Facing Worlds and Lava Giant when I think of UT

I prefer the first game by a country mile, art-direction, maps, gameplay etc. are all way better to me than the sequels. Art direction is my biggy though, none of the games that have released since capture the same kind of tone as the first game IMO.

PnCIa

It looks fuck awesome, and it runs so good!
Regarding Chromatic Aberration, on the "Epic" postprocessing setting there is some kind of weird blurring effect activated that seems to affect the edges of the screen (your weapon), that makes it look more blurry than it should. I would like to switch off just this one effect.

mnannola

That flak cannon looks amazing. Man I cannot wait for another UT. Epic is firing on all cylinders lately, FTP Unreal Tournament and free to download Unreal Engine.

I tried it out last night, it looks pretty amazing.
Visibility is really good too (never had any problems detecting enemies against the background ) which is a relief because ut would not be playable if it had this problem (which pretty much every single fps game from the past 8 years suffers from) .

My poor little potato pc though, I get like 30-50 fps on max settings (medium textures though cos I only got 1GB vram)
At least frametimes seem really consistent, thank god for that, no stutters.

Now I wish dirty bomb had used this engine instead of ue3 , that game is amazing but the stutters ruin it for me

Raide

I hope the UE4 expansion and recently making it free opens up more than just a load of shooters. Really interested to see something that shows off the engine in a much later scale. Such a great engine and I hope more smaller developers get into it.

The Cowboy

Now come on id Software. Quake 5 Arena². Do it.
Heck I'd settle for a high res version of Quake 3 Arena (with Team Arena) with proper widescreen support, I'd pay AAA game money for that.
-
Looking very good, will have to give this an install and see how my R9 280X holds up with it in its current state.

tuxfool

Banned
It plays like UT. I missed the shock rifle.

The map in OP is fun, but it is a tad small; some of the non-textured maps are a bit more fun.

epmode

I'd be surprised if you can't disable chromatic abberration via config file, console command or in-game option.

But yeah, 99% of the time, the effect is worthless, distracting garbage.

It looks fuck awesome, and it runs so good!
Regarding Chromatic Aberration, on the "Epic" postprocessing setting there is some kind of weird blurring effect activated that seems to affect the edges of the screen (your weapon), that makes it look more blurry than it should. I would like to switch off just this one effect.

Sounds like Vignetting and/or depth of field

tuxfool

Banned
I'd be surprised if you can't disable chromatic abberration via config file, console command or in-game option.

But yeah, 99% of the time, the effect is worthless, distracting garbage.

In game there is no chromatic aberration. Or at least the effect is a lot lighter than in the first screenshot.

In game there is not chromatic aberration.

I'm seeing it in tons of screenshots.

Sounds like Vignetting and/or depth of field

Life is Strange does this. It's a vignette that applies chromatic aberration (which is where the blur comes from). Really, really annoying.

In the past, unreal engine games have been pretty configurable. The settings are usually easy to find. Has anyone been messing with them and\or checking to see if you can still bind keys to the usual commands (like ToggleHud, FOV, etc)?

brobban

Looks great except the excessive blur/CA at the edges/weapon. Makes me feel cross eyed, and actually feels like it could give me a headache looking at it. But I guess it can be disabled.

Life is Strange does this. It's a vignette that applies chromatic aberration (which is where the blur comes from). Really, really annoying.

Oh okay, gamedevs fully chasing the cheap digital camera look.
Hopefully in 5 years time everything will be instagram filtered too!

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah, you're right. The effect is a lot more prevalent on the corners of the view. You don't really notice it as much when you're playing as you're focused on the center of the screen.

I wonder if the effect is helping to improve the effect of the temporal AA.

Top Bottom