• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Unreal Tournament just got its first high-res textured map

It looks stunning, technically. But I think it's missing 'character' - the guns kinda clash with the envs in terms of art direction. In general, I don't see a lot of 'direction'. It's just uber detailed, beautiful envs, but it doesn't yet feel like its own thing.

PnCIa

Postprocessing on high seems to remove the blur on the screen edges but also switches off AO from what it looks like.

Darg

Neo Member
There's another textured map as well which you have to download from the marketplace, it's free. It's called Lea Observatory.

ibimZV3wfd3TF2.png

That looks good, liking the name of the area aswell. It looks like a less cluttery version of a ut3 area (which is a good thing).

TheRed

Are you saying it inherently looks bad or its current implementation
Maybe both? I don't really like it ever but if it's not too noticeable it's whatever. I notice it too easily here all around the edges of screen. I'd rather just have games look clear. Post processing bullshit is what's made me lose interest in Battlefield when it was my favorite series before BF3.

Xyber

How can I download this? I clicked it in the marketplace and now it just says owned but it wont download and install

That's all you need to do I think. Should show up in the game, does for me at least.

I benchmarked a match on Outpost 23 and frametimes are pretty great. I have lowered shadows and post process one step. Have a 970 and i7 4770K@4,3GHz.

3Y9wPZo.png

xAlias

That's all you need to do I think. Should show up in the game, does for me at least.

I benchmarked a match on Outpost 23 and frametimes are pretty great. I have lowered shadows and post process one step. Have a 970 and i7 4770K@4,3GHz.

3Y9wPZo.png

At what resolution is that ? 1080p?

Are you just saying this for no reason?

I'm having a hard time seeing it because, if it's there, it's probably not overdone.

The spaces remind me a lot of HALO games. It's been a long time since I've played a UT game though, so HALO is probably the freshest arena-based thing in my mind.
it's there, and it's pretty obvious; doesn't really bother me though, i guess. really in this case it feels like a pointless visual effect that's going to impact framerate.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, these maps look incredible! The first one actually reminds me of Alien.

sniperpon

I keep forgetting that this is even in progress... maybe I'll try to figure out how to get the GNU/Linux version running tonight.

DJIzana

Yep. This seals it. This is the only FPS game I'll EVER need. It's the first one I grew up with and just yeah... I liked Duke Nukem but UT has always been something special for me. Unreal Engine 4 is absolutely amazing looking.

Miker

Love the map, but that Enforcer weapon model is kind of ehhh, especially with the way it's being held in the hand.

RK9039

How can I download this? I clicked it in the marketplace and now it just says owned but it wont download and install

You already have it I think. When you create a match make sure to choose the Lea map, it will come up.

It's an interesting map, if you use the debug camera you can see what exactly that facility is, or at least where it is.

nikos

Looks beautiful. Really hope this game has an Instagib community. Was extremely disappointed when UT3 didn't.

The Cowboy

Just had a run around the map with 8 bots on my PII X6 and R9 280X, very impressive with a constant 60fps on epic settings and under 60% GPU usage and all 6 cores being used equally - looks stunning IMO.

I'd be surprised if you can't disable chromatic abberration via config file, console command or in-game option.

But yeah, 99% of the time, the effect is worthless, distracting garbage.

Hopefully, Chromatic Aberration is the worst post-fx ever created.

Nokterian

Oh boy this looks wonderful! Can't wait to play it Deck 16 will be in there for sure my favorite map next to Facing Worlds.

eot

Banned
Looks pretty, but for now I'd still rather play UT99. Hopefully this ends up being good though.

Yarbskoo

The environment detail and lighting is great.

Image quality could be better, judging by those shots in the OP. Throwing out chromatic aberration would be a good start.

vio

I love UT, and visuals are great (although i wish weapons were not just slight redesign of ut3 weapons). Hopefully there is more to it than just shiny new graphics though.

Accoun

I love UT, and visuals are great (although i wish weapons were not just slight redesign of ut3 weapons). Hopefully there is more to it than just shiny new graphics though.

Flak has been redesigned and looks more like the UT99 version rather than UT3. Enforcers are totally different. Shock maybe fits. Other than that it's not even UT3 redesigns - just the old models being used as placeholders. :p

Miker

Flak has been redesigned and looks more like the UT99 version rather than UT3. Enforcers are totally different. Shock maybe fits. Other than that it's not even UT3 redesigns - just the old models being used as placeholders. :p

The Flak Cannon model is an awesome throwback, and the Shock Rifle is arguably the best it's ever looked. The Enforcer model and Redeemer model, not so much. I can't wait to see how the other weapons turn out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'd be surprised if you can't disable chromatic abberration via config file, console command or in-game option.

But yeah, 99% of the time, the effect is worthless, distracting garbage.

I don't mind it all the time but the UE4 implementation sucks. It looks like there's a viscous layer of oil over everything and it's on by default.

Top Bottom