• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Rayman Legends | A LEGEND indeed

Dr. Buni

I still haven't finished it, but holy teensie this game is amazing. Ubisoft is really great when they aren't developing tryhard AAA games, aren't they? I am really glad I bought the game before checking if it required uplay, because otherwise I would have skipped it for god knows how long. In fact, uplay hasn't bothered me that much yet.

Anyways, what is with the crazy and beautiful level design? And the charming music? I keep finding myself smiling for no reason when playing this game. It is just so... Well, charming. Don't believe me? Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6jJUhUxWEA This is one of the "special" levels of the game, it plays quite differently from the normal ones, but still. So good. Also, that luchador boss was such a fun fight!

I am thinking of picking Harmo Knight because of fun this level in Rayman Legends is.

Truth to be said, I thought I wasn't a fan of platformers anymore (note: It is/was my favorite genre for the longest time). Even though I enjoyed most of the platformers I played in the past year and months (Shovel Knight, Mighty Switch Force, Super Mario 3D World), none of those made me feel happy like Rayman Legend does as well as games like Sonic the Hedgehog (8 bits), Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Mario World did when I was a kid. And that is coming from someone who LOVED Shovel Knight.

Oh and lastly, I am loving the multiple playable characters, even though they all seem to play exactly the same. Retro Studios could take a lesson and offer more playable characters, if they ever make another Donkey Kong game, huh?

Lexxon

Origins + Legends are the best multiplayer platformers of the last 10 years. Beats NSMB to a pulp. NSMB is still more "fun" sometimes for less experienced gamers, but the Rayman games are just so, so well made.

I actually can't speak to their single player merit as I've always played them with at least one other person. But I have to imagine they hold up there just fine.

I'm thinking of getting this soon myself. I'm curious of what the definitive version is. I played the Wii U demo and I thought the touchscreen segment was really cool but I saw some people on GAF in another thread saying that stuff was awful so I was thinking maybe the PS4 version is better?

Ashtar

Origins + Legends are the best multiplayer platformers of the last 10 years. Beats NSMB to a pulp. NSMB is still more "fun" sometimes for less experienced gamers, but the Rayman games are just so, so well made.

I actually can't speak to their single player merit as I've always played them with at least one other person. But I have to imagine they hold up there just fine.
NSMB is trash yeah I said! It's not fit to hold raymans sweating jock strap. I loved Mario 1-3 yoshis island but the games not good.

Dr. Buni

I'm thinking of getting this soon myself. I'm curious of what the definitive version is. I played the Wii U demo and I thought the touchscreen segment was really cool but I saw some people on GAF in another thread saying that stuff was awful so I was thinking maybe the PS4 version is better?
I tried this on the Vita once and the touchscreen stuff was kinda obnoxious. I'd pick it on PC or PS4 instead (or any version that doesn't have touchscreen stuff).
Really hope there's a chance for more Rayman games in the future.
Yes, please.

Beaulieu

I liked Origins better because of the challenge
Legens was too easy and I don't remember much because I just walked through it

Lexxon

I thought the idea of the touchscreen stuff was kinda fun if you were playing multiplayer, but I ended up buying on the cheap for PC instead of going for the Wii U version. It played just fine. The Murfy (touch) stuff was just button presses and timing instead of doing the touch.

I would say grab Wii U if you are planning on playing multiplayer, grab any other non-Vita platform if not. Game runs great on PC, but I don't think the visuals are any better than Wii U, based on the demo. This game is so well optimized.

One thing I will note is that the musical levels (which are awesome) seemed to have a better flow on Wii U. Almost as if I have an audio lag of sorts on my PC. That might just be my issue, as I ran into audio lag issues with Rock Band and my TV years ago.

They really dropped the ball with the 8bit levels. Especially coming off the Night of the Livid Dead levels in Origins.

Agreed. The post-game in Origins was VERY challenging which was a fun thing to do in 2-player after finishing the campaign. I quit caring about the 8-bit stuff after the first or second level.

NIN90

They really dropped the ball with the 8bit levels. Especially coming off the Night of the Livid Dead levels in Origins.

Dr. Buni

I liked Origins better because of the challenge
Legens was too easy and I don't remember much because I just walked through it
I am actually glad it is not a hard game. There are far too many extra challenging platformers out there, it doesn't hurt to have a few easier ones...

pixelation

"8-bit" levels, i don't ever remember NES games looking that atrocious to the point that you're unable to time your jumps and anticipate where you'll land, but other than that the game rocks, hopefully there's a third one...

DeviantBoi

I just finished it today.

700/700 teensies.
All bronze, silver, and gold cups.

What an absolutely brilliant game this was.

I would go for the platinum trophy, but I don't want to grind out 500K lums.

sheaaaa

Yo this was one of my biggest ever gaming disappointments. The Murfy levels on Wii U were complete and utter shit in singleplayer. I play Rayman to run and jump, why would I want to tap and swipe in boring stages looking at the game's incredible visuals on a sub-par Gamepad screen? And the sheer volume of them!

Thanks to Games with Gold I'll give this another shot on Xbox One without the touchscreen nonsense. I loved Rayman Origins enough to give this another try.

pixxxelz

Rayman Legends is the king of 2D platformes imo.
And i loved those special levels I kept playing them until I could finish them in one go, so good!
I really hope we get another one soon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really loved the musical levels at the end of each world. I wish they just made a smaller scale rayman game just composed of those.

Legends and Origins are both really solid and a lot of fun to go through. I want to actually retry it on the XB1 since I only ever used the Wii U pad for the Murphy levels.

Beaulieu

I am actually glad it is not a hard game. There are far too many extra challenging platformers out there, it doesn't hurt to have a few easier ones...

I agree but Origins was the perfect challenge. Legends had too many checkpoints.

DeviantBoi

"8-bit" levels, i don't ever remember NES games looking that atrocious to the point that you're unable to time your jumps and anticipate where you'll land, but other than that the game rocks, hopefully there's a third one...

Do you mean the 8-bit remixes of the music levels in Legends?

Those weren't mean to be actual 8-bit levels, just the music... the pixelation was just an effect to make the level more difficult. That was the challenge of those levels.

Dr. Buni

Did you try Puppeteer? It is a really amazing platformer.
I did, yeah, but I hated how the flow of the game was constantly interrupted by the narration/story/etc. :(
I just finished it today.

700/700 teensies.
All bronze, silver, and gold cups.

What an absolutely brilliant game this was.

I would go for the platinum trophy, but I don't want to grind out 500K lums.
Nice! I would attempt to "plat" it, but since the achievements aren't registered on Steam, but on uplay... It is not really worth it :(
I agree but Origins was the perfect challenge. Legends had too many checkpoints.
I agree (with Origins being the perfect challenge), but the difficulty in Legends truly isn't bothering me. To each their own, I suppose!

pixelation

Do you mean the 8-bit remixes of the music levels in Legends?

Those weren't mean to be actual 8-bit levels, just the music... the pixelation was just an effect to make the level more difficult. That was the challenge of those levels.

Yeah, those... i just know they were horrid, a blemish on an otherwise espectacular game.

Xemnas89

Played this on the vita back when it first came out and then got it again when it was free on the Xbox One. Absolutely love Legends and had a blast with it both times. I felt compelled to basically 100% the game the second time around. I got all the teensies and all bronze, silver, and gold cups. I don't have the patience to get one million lums or continually play the challenges until I get to the final level of awesome but besides that I did everything.

The Murfy levels were unfortunate, but the music levels were so amazing that they overcame the unevenness in the regular sequencing. Origins is probably a stronger game but Legends has the higher highs. More music levels in the next one, please!

Zolbrod

Origins and Legends are both fantastic, and feel like such a fantastic, natural evolution of the 2D platforming genre (especially if you've played the original Rayman way back when), and yes, I would put them way above the NSMB series as well.

Amazing game. I love it as much as Origins. Sure it was easier, but still just as fun. Both are masterpieces of the genre. The spy themed levels were my favorite. So good.

Gator86

Origins and Legend are probably my favorite platformers in quite some time. Nothing has come close for me aside from 3D World. Definitely agree with earlier posters saying Rayman obliterates the New Super Mario series.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Something about the luchador enemies cracked me up, the boss in that world made me laugh hard.

Squishy3

Yeah, I agree with most other people that I enjoyed Origins way more. The fact the post-game levels were nowhere near as good as the end-levels in Origins didn't help either.

Not a bad game, just not as good as Origins overall. Especially the fact the 8-bit levels are just the levels you already played again with a shitty visual filter to make it artificially hard.

Dr. Buni

Seems like there is a consensus on the game's amazing quality then? Good!
Something about the luchador enemies cracked me up, the boss in that world made me laugh hard.
That "Lucha Libre Get Away" level was stupidly funny. It actually reminded me of Guacamelee, because of the luchador enemies and because there is a similar "run away"section in said game.

Lijik

I loved Legends. I double dipped on Wii U and its actually fun being Murfy while letting a friend or few play the main game + 5 player kung foot is rad.

GamerJM

Banned
I agree with all of this, fantastic game and probably my favorite 2D platformer since the SNES days (though in terms of platformers overall I liked the Super Mario Galaxy games more).

I loved Legends. I double dipped on Wii U and its actually fun being Murfy while letting a friend or few play the main game + 5 player kung foot is rad.

The Wii U version was very nearly the definitive version.

In preview builds they let you choose whether you wanted to play as Rayman or Murphy on the touch levels. I have no idea why they removed it!

GamerJM

Banned
The Wii U version was very nearly the definitive version.

In preview builds they let you choose whether you wanted to play as Rayman or Murphy on the touch levels. I have no idea why they removed it!

I own the game on PC, but tbh if they patched this back in I'd probably buy the Wii U version to own a physical copy. I doubt they will though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Seems like there is a consensus on the game's amazing quality then? Good!
That "Lucha Libre Get Away" level was stupidly funny. It actually reminded me of Guacamelee, because of the luchador enemies and because there is a similar "run away"section in said game.

Yeah I think that world overall is my favourite so far (currently playing through). The game makes me sad because there are all these super creative and fun loving people locked away somewhere at Ubisoft.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
best in multiplayer... I especially liked the wii u gamepad integration for co-op. It was a lot of fun screwing with my friends. :p

Nice timing. I literally just finished collecting the last teensie minutes ago.

Fantastic game... It will probably go down as one of my favorite platformer of all time. I will say that The legends levels are far superior to the origins levels (specifically some of the boss levels). My favorite part of the game was the infiltration levels.

It's funny because playing this game at a kiosk for wiiu actually sold me on a wiiu way back when however I never bought the game when it came out because if the delay to a far busier time and it wasn't until it became free with gold that I actually managed to play it.

I just started Legends, and while the game seems fairly awesome, the Murphy Gamepad touch stuff is not my cup of tea. In SP you control Murphy while the computer auto-controls Rayman.

I 100%-d Origins in single player, didn't play a single level with anybody else. A masterpiece of 2D platforming. I haven't been taken with a 2D platformer in that way since probably Super Mario World.

AEREC

I would try this but Origins bored me to death and had one of the most boring and repetitive art styles I've seen in a 2D game.

Also doesn't help I really do not like Raymans character design.

jholmes

I adored this game and I go back to it way more than I thought I would. There's a ton of content and it's just beautiful and wonderful to play. The fact that it's in bargain bins the world over now means everyone should jump on it.

I think the Murfy levels do a really good job of breaking up the gameplay and they're a definite highlight for me on the Wii U. I have to wonder if some people are trying to convince themselves the game isn't better on Wii U. But some people don't like how they work, and they are definitely not standard platforming levels.

I would try this but Origins bored me to death and had one of the most boring and repetitive art styles I've seen in a 2D game.

Also doesn't help I really do not like Raymans character design.

If you didn't like Origins, it's unlikely you'll enjoy this. It's very much a sequel.

That said, pretty sure there are a couple of people on GAF who thought Origins was average and absolutely loved Legends so *shrugs*

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I always try to like this on Vita (I loved Origins and Platinum'd it) but the Murfy levels with the system tilting etc just turn me off. They're just awful.

Dr. Buni

I always try to like this on Vita (I loved Origins and Platinum'd it) but the Murfy levels with the system tilting etc just turn me off. They're just awful.
Try playing on a system without touchscreen, like PC, PS3, PS4. I played it for a bit on Vita and didn't really enjoy my time with it.
Yeah I think that world overall is my favourite so far (currently playing through). The game makes me sad because there are all these super creative and fun loving people locked away somewhere at Ubisoft.
Hopefully they are not being obligated to make the soulless AAA games Ubisoft love to release and are developing Rayman 3 or idk, Child of Light 2 or something instead.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Have fun with the 8 bit levels OP. You basically have to finish the levels with your eyes closed. ;-)

That said, I loved this game to death. Got 100%. Shame that isn't enough to get the Platinum trophy.

If it weren't for Games with Gold. Never played a Rayman game as I always saw them as piss poor Sonic clones etc...

The best platform game I have played and I have been playing since Sonic the Hedgehog was originally released.

There is an amazing flow to the levels and the Chase levels and invaded worlds feel so fast thanks to the sense of urgency.

I will never skip a Rayman game again

Top Bottom