• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Rayman Legends | A LEGEND indeed

Marow

Great timing! I ended up 100%ing it yesterday - including the Origins levels - and it was fantastic. But to be fair, I'm not going to get the final Rank of Awesomeness or the 1,000,000 Lums. Those are just mindless grinding.

A vast improvement after the so-so Origins. Every little tweak (graphics, controls etc) makes it much better and the level design is more fluid this time around. Origins was all over the place in this regard and every level more or less consisted of smaller sub-areas divided by doors rather than full, proper, levels as in Legends. This time around, everything from platforms to enemy placement has a proper purpose and is built around the character's physics! The Murphy levels irked me in the beginning - starting the game with one marks possibly one of the worst game openings for me - but as I got used to the Gamepad and the AI they were actually quite fun. Much better than the Mosquito level from Origins, at least.

... if there is one thing I'd like to see in a third game, though, it's a more coherent presentation/atmosphere. Legends, while better than Origins, is a bit all over the place in how it goes from castles, undercover agents and to Olympus. There is no clear progression or common enemy, which along with the rapid pacing makes it feel a bit... forgettable. I'd like a little more weight to the situation. Then again, I don't necessarily mind the party Rayman we got in Origins/Legends.

My favorite world is strangely the water/stealth world "20,000 Lums Under the Sea". An odd choice for a platformer, but the change in pace, pretty lighting and more coherent theme did a lot for me.

At the end of the day, though, Rayman Legends is one of the finest platformers I've played. It doesn't beat Tropical Freeze, but it's up there.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've played Origins and was surprised how good it was. I picked up Legends this month with GwG on Xbox One and loved it even more than Origins. Those music-levels are the icing on the cake at the end of the rayman worlds.

NotLiquid

Legends was one of the biggest disappointments I got to experience. It didn't leave nearly as much of an impression on me as Origins. The progression was completely haphazard and it was hard for me to find a reason to keep playing beyond "there's more levels". It felt like running through a bunch of areas without any goal in mind what-so-ever.

Mind you they were still really damn good levels (although the Murphy levels were terrible and the overall difficulty curve wasn't as good and balanced as Origins), but finishing the game yielded the biggest "that's it?" moment I'd ever experienced in a game. Asking us to finish Origins' levels on top of that for 100% completion felt like an insult in and of itself.

Good game but a step down from Origins in every way. It's a shame too because Origins bore some large telltale signs of a story that was heavily toned down for the final game and I hoped the developers could capitalize on that going into Legends. Instead it's just a bunch of random ideas that are strung together with little thought. I know that I shouldn't be asking for too much of a narrative but everything about Legends when I played it just felt completely lacking in context.

Tailzo

Nice thread. I just placed an order for Rayman on ps4. I always meant to buy it, because I have origins on ps3 and vita and I liked it a lot.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Worst Rayman game ever. Touch stages sucked ass and made up a large chunk of the game. The 8-bit levels are even worse. Even when the game is good it still isn't as good as Origins. Rayman is one of the most underappreciated series ever, but Legends is overrated as all hell.

PaulloDEC

Worst Rayman game ever. Touch stages sucked ass and made up a large chunk of the game. The 8-bit levels are even worse. Even when the game is good it still isn't as good as Origins. Rayman is one of the most underappreciated series ever, but Legends is overrated as all hell.

The touchscreen stages worked fine for me on the PS3; they were basically just another face button interaction.

As for the 8-bit stages, they were such a tiny part of the game I'm kinda surprised that people are even talking about them. I mean, they were basically just a cute addition for masochists, no?

Marow

Am I the only one who thought the 8-bit stages were easy? I even found some easier than their normal counterparts, completing them in the first try. Only Mariachi Madness bothered me as I couldn't make out the enemy in one place... ^^'

Dr. Buni

For Rayman fans, what other games should I play other than Origins and Legends?
Good thing touchscreen levels aren't a thing in the PC version. They work almost the same way as regular levels, press a button and Murphy will do his thing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The touchscreen stages worked fine for me on the PS3; they were basically just another face button interaction.

As for the 8-bit stages, they were such a tiny part of the game I'm kinda surprised that people are even talking about them. I mean, they were basically just a cute addition for masochists, no?
You know what we got instead of stages we already did but with a shitty filter on top in Origins? An actual well designed, awesome challenging final stage. Expecting something similar was not crazy. Th 8 bit levels were the epitome of bad game design, and for that to be the true end to the game is absolutely terrible.

NateDrake

Good thing touchscreen levels aren't a thing in the PC version. They work almost the same way as regular levels, press a button and Murphy will do his thing.

Rayman 2 is a timeless gem.

I actually hated the Murphy levels on X1. I prefer the Wii U touch-screen mechanic over the button press. Using a button slowed me down too often and had no flow whatsoever.

NotLiquid

Rayman 2 and 3 are really the only other two "musts" I can think of, though mind you they are 3D platformers.

Rayman 2 is arguably one of the best 3D platformers of all time depending on which version of it you play. It sits alongside Super Mario 64 as one of the defining games of it's genre during that generation. If you can get the Dreamcast version it's arguably the best one of the bunch. The Playstation 2 version is pretty good too but depending on who you ask is either better or worse due to it having a bit more "fluff" involved (a huge hub world for one thing). I'm not sure how the PC version is but I hear it's good. The N64 version isn't as polished as the Dreamcast version but it's still servicable and it was the target console the game was developed for at the time. Don't get the PS1 version.

Rayman 3 is not nearly as big of a classic as Rayman 2 is but it's still good. It strikes the best balance between Rayman 2's serious adventure and Origins' cartoonish whimsy. It has some of the best looking worlds in 3D platformers and it's progression is great. Plus, it's also pretty funny. I'd say Rayman 3 best defined what Rayman's world and atmosphere should be all about.

The first Rayman is a 2D platformer and is good in it's own right but it's incredibly different from Origins/Legends and might turn you off based on it's devilish difficulty.

PaulloDEC

You know what we got instead of stages we already did but with a shitty filter on top in Origins? An actual well designed, awesome challenging final stage. Expecting something similar was not crazy. Th 8 bit levels were the epitome of bad game design, and for that to be the true end to the game is absolutely terrible.

I don't disagree that the 8-bit stages were crummy, but there was a lot of game in Rayman Legends besides those. Seems kinda weird to write it off as the worst Rayman game ever just for that.

Ori and the Blind Forest has totally re-invigorated my interest in platformers / side scrollers. I beat it in 3 days and its in my top 10 games of all time, and it motivated me to play Rayman Legens next.

Loving this game. Its just pure fun, and I also find myself smiling as some of it. Its just really fun to play a game that captures that old school platforming feel but in a new era.

Camwi

Haven't played Legends yet, but I played the shit out of Origins until I got the platinum trophy. Gameplay in that game is fantastic, so I'm looking forward to playing Legends eventually.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't disagree that the 8-bit stages were crummy, but there was a lot of game in Rayman Legends besides those. Seems kinda weird to write it off as the worst Rayman game ever just for that.
Just for that? Did you miss the part where I said I hated the touch levels which made up a very large chunk of the game? Remove the touch levels and the 8 bit levels and you've got a pretty good game, though still a game not near the level of Origins.

Just for that? Did you miss the part where I said I hated the touch levels which made up a very large chunk of the game? Remove the touch levels and the 8 bit levels and you've got a pretty good game, though still a game not near the level of Origins.

I noticed on the Xbox one version, characters do not switch out like they did on WiiU. It's always rayman, unless you switch out costumes. Feels much better on XB1, IMO.

Dr. Buni

Rayman 2 is a timeless gem.

I actually hated the Murphy levels on X1. I prefer the Wii U touch-screen mechanic over the button press. Using a button slowed me down too often and had no flow whatsoever.
Rayman 2 and 3 are really the only other two "musts" I can think of, though mind you they are 3D platformers.

Rayman 2 is arguably one of the best 3D platformers of all time depending on which version of it you play. It sits alongside Super Mario 64 as one of the defining games of it's genre during that generation. If you can get the Dreamcast version it's arguably the best one of the bunch. The Playstation 2 version is pretty good too but depending on who you ask is either better or worse due to it having a bit more "fluff" involved (a huge hub world for one thing). I'm not sure how the PC version is but I hear it's good. The N64 version isn't as polished as the Dreamcast version but it's still servicable and it was the target console the game was developed for at the time. Don't get the PS1 version.

Rayman 3 is not nearly as big of a classic as Rayman 2 is but it's still good. It strikes the best balance between Rayman 2's serious adventure and Origins' cartoonish whimsy. It has some of the best looking worlds in 3D platformers and it's progression is great. Plus, it's also pretty funny. I'd say Rayman 3 best defined what Rayman's world and atmosphere should be all about.

The first Rayman is a 2D platformer and is good in it's own right but it's incredibly different from Origins/Legends and might turn you off based on it's devilish difficulty.
Alright, I am not too big on 3D platformers, but I will see if I give Rayman 2 and maybe 3 a try. Thanks for the suggestions!

Does anyone know how to drop a player during co-op in the PS4 version of Rayman Legends? In Rayman Origins PS3, the select button can drop players out. However, the PS4 has no such button: Start is pause, the Trackpad is for zooming.

Amazing game this. Right now i'm playing the hell out of it on the Vita while on holiday. And my wife wonders why i'm staying in the room so much instead of lying around on the beach :)

Apologies for the bump, it just seemed like the right place to ask. Take it no one knows the answer haha.

And for the record, it's a wonderful platformer. The tone, art style, and flow are fantastic.

CONTROVERSIAL GAMIN OPINION INCOMING... but to me this was way better than tropical freeze. Yeah I just said that.

Was going to make a thread saying this but then I saw this thread. Controversial on Gaf but I enjoyed Rayman Legends much more than Tropical Freeze. It had more charm and more originality and almost an equally good soundtrack. It's right after Super Mario World as the best 2d platformer ever. Such a joy to play (with toned down Murphy levels it would probably be in my top 5 games of all time)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The best 2D platformer in ages, and certainly better than any 2D Mario game made in the last 20 years.

Top Bottom