• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Black Panther (PSP) Fan Translation

cj_iwakura

OSuxVx2.png

Found out about this at GBAT, looks great so far:

L4OPSDb.png
meZhweC.png

0I8AklZ.png
0Jp91fI.png

MCRmHnf.png
4oXDCdT.png

1qLq76L.png
1ekkh4J.png

First cutscene.
  • 55% of cutscenes are complete.
  • 100% of the main story text from chapter 1 is complete (including tutorials). Still got 9 more chapters though and then there's all the substories and random dialogue from people in the streets as well.
  • 62% of the massive globals is complete.
  • 0% of hostess dialogue is done.

I'm aiming to have all the cutscenes finished by mid-April. Hopefully, I'll achieve this, if I can keep up my current pace. The reason for this is because my free time will be cut back again starting mid-April, so I want to get all that out of the way before then. After that, there's still an insane amount of text to translate... I don't think we'll be close to releasing this patch this year.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Beat the game with zero knowledge of Japanese, I'd totally be down for playing it again.

love that AKI Engine.

Tohsaka

Nice, hopefully they finish it. It sucks that we missed out on like half of the series in the west at this point.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Yeah but like, who is he?

Tatsuya and if you want a short summery:
Tatsuya was another aimless youth in the streets of Kamurocho, framed for a savage assault that left a young boy comatose. He dropped out of school on his second year and lived his life as a hoodlum with Tenma, his only friend he ever knew and Saeko, his sister who had raised him for nine years after their mother's death. Catching wind of a large sum of cash coming in from a loan shark, Tatsuya and several hoodlums raids the loan shark at night and Tatsuya personally defeats Naoki, not realizing he had murdered the man.

Shortly after the death of Toda, Tatsuya was soon found by a member of the Toda Group who offers him an ultimatum: Win ten consecutive fights in the Dragon Heat, or face certain arrest by law enforcement officers. With limited options and an opportunity to sate his thirst for violence, Tatsuya gladly obliges.

from wikipedia

stn

I would be down for this! The one game I wanted to play on my PSP and didn't, would give me reason to dust it off after years of inactivity.

That's awesome, I played quite a bit of the game without translations.

I had a hard time understanding some stuff (or anything beyond the main story really), but it's pretty fun.

Combat is not as fun as the other games though, but it's alright.

Awesome, this and fate/extra ccc are my most wanted translations.

I love the yakuza games and personally teen delinquents is my favorite japanese trope, so this game is obviously made for me.

Xeteh

I can't imagine the amount of effort that is required to translate a Yakuza game. The amount of dialogue is staggering.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I never thought I'd see the day. *sniff*

If they can make it to the sequel as well which seemed even better from the demo, well then, all of Sega's grievous wrongs to the PSP will have been set right.

dreamfall

Soooooonish. My god, these translators are my heroes. I kept the demo open on my PSP for weeks, just going around endlessly beating up thugs. It was beautiful.

Killah

Oh wow, didn't know this was a thing.

Hopefully once he finishes this he'll translate the second Panther game as well.

cj_iwakura

Update from GBATemp:

We're going slowly, but we're still going. We've finished chapter 7, so we are close to complete the main story translation. I hope it'll be done in the next weeks.
Also, we're still looking for translator and graphic editor, so if you want to join and help, just pm me.

Update from GBATemp:

Sounds good. I've already cleared the game once through in Japanese but it'll be nice to have it in English so I can fully understand the story. The arena battles in this game are easily the best thing about it, some of the later battles are seriously awesome.

EricB

Wow, how did I miss this translation. I read through the whole thread thinking I'd be waiting years only to notice that it was a bumped thread. I own both Black Panther games on Japanese PSN but haven't gotten around to playing them yet. Looks like I may soon have an excuse to start. Huge huge news considering no one has even done a FAQ as far as I am aware. English speaking Yakuza fans have had a lot to be thankful for recently.

Edgeward

Oh man, this is great news to find out. I will patiently wait for this one to be done. Still got 5 to finish in the mean time anyway

Wow, fantastic!

This is a game, one of many that I deeply wanted to play that I gave up long ago any sort of realistic hope for ever getting to it, and now it seems that I might actually be able to do so. That is just so darn great.

Top Bottom