• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Black Panther (PSP) Fan Translation

Menitta

This game creates the lore that every year, a gang sends all their goons to fight Kiryu as a hazing process which is why he constantly has random battles.

cj_iwakura

There was an update a week ago:

-Is it going to get released soon? Do you have a testing version we can play to find out some bugs or translation error?
-Sorry, but no, and no. Well, everything we do, we test it, but we do not plan to release a test version to anyone soon.

and before that:

Well the story has been fully checked now. The work will now be on the submissions. Things are going slowly on my side, for (good) personal matters.

KyleCross

I really hope he releases what is done eventually. Too many of these projects end up being abandoned and the people involved choosing not to release unfinished.

I just found out that there is a Japanese TV series of Yakuza Black Panter (even with fansubs) has anyone came across this?

I just found out that there is a Japanese TV series of Yakuza Black Panter (even with fansubs) has anyone came across this?

:(

Really thought this was done, was subscribed to the thread.

According to the GBATemp thread, the main story translation is 100% finished as of April. Looks like I'll be buying a copy of Black Panther soon.

:(

Really thought this was done, was subscribed to the thread.

According to the GBATemp thread, the main story translation is 100% finished as of April. Looks like I'll be buying a copy of Black Panther soon.

Never played it but with story translation I can give it a go

Hopefully this bump doesn't bump any hearts around, but I just came across that the project leader Aegehn had a small project update in June.

Aegehn said:
Hello everyone,

I don't know why, but I don't receive an alert everytime someone posts in the thread. So I received a mail for SubLoverD's post, but not for those before.

First, a small correction : KHHSubs comment was from last December, not 2014... Still the story was completed a year ago already.

So why is there no news anymore ? Because there is no work done since a long time. As KHHSubs said, the main story is done, but that's it. And what's left is in a rough state, because everything that was written in japanese is now written in gibberish : as translated texts grew in size, there was the need to find something to reduce, so I reduced the japanese character table, which saved up a lot (there's a character for every kanji used in the game), but now everytime the text contains a kanji or a kana that has been erased, it display a "*" instead. Meaning that while everything that has been translated displays correctly, everything else is unreadable, and kinda disturbing to the eye. That also include things like items descriptions, etc.

I don't want to release something in this state. I could quickly upload an iso somewhere, post the link on some chan and let it spread, but I think the work done by those who worked on this deserves better. I hope you understand.
I'd love for a translator to pick this up, and finish the work with me. If that do not happen, someday I'll let it go and I'll release it, but with the release of Y0, Kiwami and 6 coming, I hope the license sparks some interest to new translators.

So here is what I offer you : if nobody wants to work on this up to 3 months after the latest release of Y6, I'll release it "as is".

Until then, if you are a translator and you want to help, please PM me.

Sorry for the long silence.

Basically there hasn't been much progress beyond the main story which is 100% translated, alongside menus and cutscenes. Substories/mini-games/items/etc sound more or less untouched, and there's currently an editing issue involving kanji/kana no longer displaying correctly.

But assuming translation can't get off of the ground once more, Aegehn proposes releasing the team's work as it is after the release of Yakuza 6. While not an ideal for either end of the project, it's definitely a respectable decision and outcome all things considered.

Aegehn also mentions that outside translation assistance is definitely welcome in picking the project back up, so if anyone on gaf knows someone able and willing then this hopefully serves as an extended heads up.

Top Bottom